Question about Omega 3s - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry if this is a repost...I am sure this has been discussed before, but I didn't see anything...

Do all foods that have added Omega 3s contain fish oil? Just about the only thing I have been buying with Omega 3s is Silk's soy milk that has it included. I would think that soy milk from Silk wouldn't have anything fishy in it (literally...no pun intended.)

So I guess my question is are Omega 3's found in other sources, and how do you know exactly what you are getting? Will the ingredients label just come out and say there is fish in it?

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2008, 01:16 AM

I know Omega 3 comes from sources other than fish, because I take vegetarian pills with Omega 3 in. Don't know where it comes from, though.
#3 Old 05-11-2008, 03:04 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Flaxseed oil (linseed oil) is commonly used as an Omega 3 additive, as are the flax seeds (linseeds) themselves. I cannot comment on specific brands such as Silk that I am not familiar with, it's best to look at the ingredients or contact the company. I do know that eating soy/linseed bread can up your Omega 3s, you can get flaxseed oil in veggie caps at many chemists. Walnuts are another reliable non-animal source of dietary Omega 3s. You have to be careful with Omega 3 boosted food - a lot of it does come from fish - I often see stupid things with dead fish oil in them, I've seen fish-added Orange juice, margarine, bread. It's annoying.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2008, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Omega 3 is made only by plants. No animal of any description makes Omega 3. The reason that certain fish are high in it is that they eat the plants that make it and then store it in their fats.

Following is an excerpt from a post made by Jeff Novick, RD.

Quote:
The 1.1g to 1.6g are recommended adequate intakes (AIs), which are not minimum requirements. There is evidence that the actual minimum requirement may be as low as .5 gram a day.

We see this in other "recommendations" also. For example, the recommended intakes for sodium are 1200-1500 mgs but the minimum requirements recognized by the 10th RDA report was 115 mgs and we know the Yanomamo Indians survive on less than 200 mgs.

So, in regard to Omega 3s, even the 1.1 to 1.6 may be way more than we really need.

One cup of shredded romaine lettuce has 100 mgs (.1 gm) which is an average portion that anyone should be able to consume. In addition, one cup of broccoli has 200 mgs (.2 gm) as does one cup of unthawed frozen blueberries.

Most all fruits and veggies average around 100 to 200 mgs (.1 to .2 gms) per serving, so you do not have to eat zillions of cups of lettuce. smile Just eating the minimum recommendations of fruits and veggies would be beneficial and might be more than enough.

If everyone consumed the recommended 9-12 servings of fruits and veggies (5 veggies, 4 fruits) and these fruits and veggies have on average 150 mgs (.15 gm) per serving (as I have shown), then everyone would be getting in around 1.35 to 1.80 grams. This is over the AIs set by the NAS (of 1.1 to 1.6 grams) and way over the .5 grams which is probably the real minimum.

The recommended 9-12 servings is a minimum recommended for all Americans and one that hopefully everyone is aiming for, regardless of whether or not they are following a vegetarian, vegan, McDougall, Ornish, Pritikin, Esseslstyne or Fuhrman diet.

And, we have not even counted in the contributions that a few servings of starchy veggies, intact whole grains, and/or legumes would also be making to the total.

The "Omega 3 = fish oil" is one of the most successful marketing campaigns ever, along with "meat = protein" and "dairy = calcium." Never ever believe marketing by people who are selling you a product without three independent verifications and a note from your mother...

Hope that helps!!! :-)
#5 Old 05-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfc View Post

The "Omega 3 = fish oil" is one of the most successful marketing campaigns ever...

That's what I've always thought.

If people didn't consume so much Omega 6, their ratios would be more balanced. It the ratios that are the problem, not a deficiency of Omega 3 if you don't eat fish.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 05-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Udo's Oil

Omega 3,6 and 9
#7 Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 AM

you should use flaxseed (linseed) oil (preferably organic) in smoothies, salads, on veggies, never use the oil for cooking.

or ground flaxseeds were you can sprinkle them in your porridge/cereal, baked cakes etc.

^-^
#8 Old 05-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

flaxseeds arent sufficient for all your omega needs... you need to include marine-based omegas from algae... " Udo's oil is vegan. and there are other brands, Deva brand is another.

silk soy milk is vegan derived, it does even say so on the containers.

It is from "life DHA" ...which is a veg source for omegas. it is in other omega fortified products, but not all, so you need to check the packages and companies. Horizon, for example, uses "life DHA" brand in some of their milk products.
#9 Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I read in a non-vegetarian nutrition text book that no one should take fish oil because of high concentrations of mercury and other contaminants. It said that suppliments like fish oil are a tremendous waste of money and that you'll get the omega 3s you need as long as you eat a wide variety of food.
#10 Old 05-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfc View Post

The "Omega 3 = fish oil" is one of the most successful marketing campaigns ever, along with "meat = protein" and "dairy = calcium." Never ever believe marketing by people who are selling you a product without three independent verifications and a note from your mother

Very nicely put.

I had obviously fallen for this marketing con too, because the one thing that concerned me becoming vegetarian was missing out on oily fish. I'm kind of mad that I was conned, but also pleased now I know the truth.
#11 Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Consider adding some plant sources of omega 3's to your diet. Purslane and chia seeds have omega 3's. You can get chia seeds at a local herb shop, and they are safe as a food. Purslane you might have to grow yourself, but you can grow it in a pot outside. Look for purslane seeds online.

Don't cook either of these plants, even though sources everywhere will suggest it! Omega-3's are fragile and are converted to trans-fats under heat.
#12 Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

yum! purslane!!!!

flax, canola oil, walnuts,etc are great for omega 3s, your ALA....but our bodies arent efficient at converting it into DHA and EPA, which is more efficiently used by our bodies, and healthier.

By eating a good diet w/ good fats, zinc, b6, copper, etc. you can help your body w/ this conversion.

But getting your DHA is best from a algae source.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page