GTA IV - Against Vegans and Vegetarians - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Marketing is genius and mind control. With enough clever marketing, people will even buy tap water in bottles for $2 a shot when they can get the same thing from their spouts. Oh, wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy 6-Pack View Post

Marketing is genius and mind control. With enough clever marketing, people will even buy tap water in bottles for $2 a shot when they can get the same thing from their spouts. Oh, wait.

I don't buy bottled water because of marketing, i buy very specific brands because my tap tastes like bleach , to me at least.
#33 Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

If I was a teenage omni I might have found that mildly funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I just bought it tonight I havent found that internet cafe yet I have been looking. Sound like a laugh riot.
#35 Old 05-07-2008, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

Imagine the world before video games... a utopia of conversations, communication, and normal weights in children.

It'd make a great MMORPG
#36 Old 05-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend has this game, don't think he's come to that bit yet. I know the game is meant to be funny, and i've heard some funny bits off it. However, i can't help but get a little angry with that bit.
#37 Old 05-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentil Burger View Post

It'd make a great MMORPG

I'm playing it currently

Level 17 at the moment
#38 Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe it's their flipside to elements of San Andreas, which ridiculed fast-food meat places. Some of the radio ads were satirical jingles about chickens being tortured just for you at "Cluckin' Bell" factory farms. (I don't play the game, but my BF does.)

On the other hand, I can't say I enjoy seeing things like what you describe, even when they are satirical. It only takes a brief look at the "Stupid Things Omnis Say" thread to realize that a lot of omnis actually believe those things. Of course, we live in an omni world, so we're going to encounter a lot of stuff like that. Veg*ns aren't a big enough group yet, and it's still more socially acceptable to ridicule us than to ridicule many other groups of people.

Like others have said, the ridicule does indicate that the mainstream is aware enough of veg*nism to be put on the defensive.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#39 Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post

I'm playing it currently

Level 17 at the moment

Newbie.
#40 Old 05-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

Imagine the world before video games... a utopia of conversations, communication, and normal weights in children.

I can picture it now.

#41 Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnesshero View Post

I just bought it tonight I havent found that internet cafe yet I have been looking. Sound like a laugh riot.

The 1st internet cafe you can access is called [email protected] and it is on the east side of the park in broker (round the corner from Michelle's flat)

Once on a computer search "loveyourmeat.com" and from there it has all the links to Pate, How to spot a vegan etc (you can also get it from "craplist.net"

Also, once far enough into the game you'll receive an email with all the links on it.......and also some of the radio stations have anti veggie jingles playing from time to time.
#42 Old 05-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by againstcruelty View Post

The 1st internet cafe you can access is called [email protected] and it is on the east side of the park in broker (round the corner from Michelle's flat)

Once on a computer search "loveyourmeat.com" and from there it has all the links to Pate, How to spot a vegan etc (you can also get it from "craplist.net"

Also, once far enough into the game you'll receive an email with all the links on it.......and also some of the radio stations have anti veggie jingles playing from time to time.

I just got to that point in the game yesterday. lol some of the Anti veg "facts" are funny as hell. The one All vegetarians are bad at(a certain sex act that I wont mention on here) we have tested men and woman" had be rolling.
#43 Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd bet money that was written by a vegetarian.
#44 Old 05-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate all the GTA's. The games are too violent. But this is just utter shock.

"With confidence, you have won before you have started" - Marcus Garvey
#45 Old 05-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband has this game as well. he callingit the best one of the series ever!!!!

I however did not know about the anti-veggie comments.

What a shame!

How can you eat anything with eyes? ~ Will Kellogg
#46 Old 05-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

To all the people who either don't get or disapprove of the satire, would you react the same way if they were anti-meat comments? Is it only the fact one of the many, many groups being mocked is one you belong to or the fact they mock any groups of people?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#47 Old 05-18-2008, 12:13 PM

WOW....Pure Ignorance !!!
#48 Old 05-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I wondered where my housemate had gotten this from!

We had a debate on Friday night - he was insisting that the world food shortage was mostly due to the rise in vegetarianism, that the Amazon rain forest was being chopped down to grow soya beans and that (wait for it) growth of crops takes up far more land than animals!

(Don't worry, I got straight in there with the "and what do we feed those animals with?"). And the whole debate was in good humour

I was just really surprised, because he's an ex-vegan who only went back to omni-ism when he got married, but has been considering rejoining me since his divorce. So it seemed like a bizarre "fact" for him to come out with after a few drinks... but I know he plays this game with his best mate...
#49 Old 05-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Enough of these useless political threads (especially US politics - I mean, what's with that? I'm not even USAmerican! How in hell does US politics effect me? ).?

Hmmm, well, let me see, US politics affects the US financial policy affects, the global economy, affects every country that holds US dollars in their treasury, affects that countries economy, affects you (to some degree). If the US economy goes down, the world will follow at least for a while.
#50 Old 05-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Meh. I think you're taking it far too seriously

It's just some satire in a game known for it's tongue-in-cheek humour.
#51 Old 05-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

Hmmm, well, let me see, US politics affects the US financial policy affects, the global economy, affects every country that holds US dollars in their treasury, affects that countries economy, affects you (to some degree). If the US economy goes down, the world will follow at least for a while.

Err... you know that post was a joke, right?

#52 Old 05-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought the whole game was satirical of the kind of place America has become. I don't even think that that was made to offend...I thought it was to point out how dumb people who say things in real life like the vegan/vegetarian statements that were on the game. Did you ever see the Television adds on there? They made fun of politicians, fox news, everything. I'm not that offended, really.
#53 Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritemare View Post

Lots of video games make fun of different types of people/beliefs. This just happens to be a video game that targets vegetarians and vegans. I mean, you can sleep with hookers in that game and then beat them to death. Why isn't anyone making a big deal out of that?

Grand theft auto is by far the most disgusting game out there. I think you can tell alot about people by how they spend thier free time- I would never date anyone who plays this game nor would I ever let my future sons (or daughters) play this game. Strong words, I know, but you've gotta draw the line somewhere.
#54 Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

To all the people who either don't get or disapprove of the satire, would you react the same way if they were anti-meat comments? Is it only the fact one of the many, many groups being mocked is one you belong to or the fact they mock any groups of people?

I don't like it when ANY marginalised, but harmless group of people gets mocked for no good reason, whether I belong to that group or not.

It's interesting to see that some veg*ns will complain on VB about how annoying their friends and relatives are for mocking their diet or lifestyle, but don't seem at all offended when they come across similar mocking in a video game. It's kind of fascinating to watch people shift their parameters on what they find offensive according to the package it's presented in.

m8itcanw8.com
#55 Old 05-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Err... so you don't approve of satire?

Besides, we are talking vegetarians. We might be a minority in society but we are hardly "marginalised". There is a difference between friendly satire and nasty put-downs. My friends poke fun at my vegetarianism quite a bit, among other things. I poke fun at their lifestyles, too. Of course whether or not you take offense at someone poking fun at you depends on the context.

#56 Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Err... so you don't approve of satire?

I didn't say I don't approve of satire in general. I just don't approve of it in that particular game.

In any case, I see satire as somewhat more sophisticated than the way it's done in that game.

Quote:

Besides, we are talking vegetarians. We might be a minority in society but we are hardly "marginalised".

I don't personally feel that marginalised, but as a group as a whole I think we are somewhat. We're constantly taken the piss out of in popular culture and most of what is said about us not that funny and based on a lot untruths.

m8itcanw8.com
#57 Old 05-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Just being a smaller percentile of the population does not make one "marginalised". I'd hardly call vegetarians, as a group, marginal. There's nothing wrong with someone taking the piss out of you, or doing likewise. I agree most of it isn't funny, and (an example is quoted in the first post) a lot of it is just plain stupid. Something being stupid, though, or based on daft inaccuracies, doesn't make it offensive. It just makes the person doing the "fun-poking" look a little dumb.

I laughed the first time I heard "People Eating Tasty Animals" to be honest. Not the second time, some jokes lose their humour pretty fast, but to take offense at stupidity would mean you'd spend most of your life in a huff.

#58 Old 05-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Between sniping elderly women and firing rockets at crowds of people and beating prostitutes with baseball bats, I just can't see a satirical joke against vegetarians as what is "wrong" in this game.
#59 Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Just being a smaller percentile of the population does not make one "marginalised".

*sigh* I wasn't trying to say that we are marginalised because we are small in numbers. I think we are marginalised because we threaten people.

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with someone taking the piss out of you, or doing likewise.

Depends on how it's done.

Quote:
Something being stupid, though, or based on daft inaccuracies, doesn't make it offensive.

That's a matter of opinion. It doesn't always make something offensive, but it can do IMO.

Quote:
I laughed the first time I heard "People Eating Tasty Animals" to be honest. Not the second time, some jokes lose their humour pretty fast, but to take offense at stupidity would mean you'd spend most of your life in a huff.

How does that work?

Being offended by something doesn't mean that you spend your whole life being in a huff. It's quite possible to be offended by something, state your objection and move on without carrying anger about it around with you.

m8itcanw8.com
#60 Old 05-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Umm..yeah...not gonna lie...but I think thats hilarious. Please don't kill me.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page