Omni vs. Veggie - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-15-2008, 07:15 PM

My best friend is a Veggie. I have known her 17 years and yesterday she got really agressive trying to push vegetarianism on me. I am a vegetarian when im with her and when i can easily get my hands on meat free. She is acting like this is the basis of our friendship (its not she has only in the past 2 yrs. made this decission). I totally suport her and would never think of pushing meat on her, so why if she making such a big deal about it? I understand its very important to her, but i dont think its fair to make me feel bad about my choice.

Do any of you love/live with omnis? How do you keep the peace? Any suggestions on what i should tell her?

I think just like to friends of different religions could still hang out, this should be the same.

Thanks!!!

Starfish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

She shouldn't force it on you, of course. Just tell her that. But this really isn't a board for Omnivores, I'm afraid.
#3 Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Tell her exactly what you've just said. I do live with a very stubborn meat eater and we live quite peacefully. I don't try to force him into being veg and he doesn't mock my vegetarianism. It's thoughtful of you to be vegetarian when around her. Just sit down and tell her how you feel and I'm sure she will understand and back off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-15-2008, 07:25 PM

read some vegan stuff about eggs and dairy, and if she lectures you, throw that at her. assuming she is lact-ovo

#5 Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

read some vegan stuff about eggs and dairy, and if she lectures you, throw that at her. assuming she is lact-ovo

An adversarial approach is not a good idea. It will only strain the relationship further.
#6 Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

The best thing to do is tell her how you feel as calmly as you can and listen to how she feels in return. I have plenty of meat-eating friends and a meat-eating Husband. We keep the peace but it takes work. Understand that it is not like different religions, backgrounds, sports teams, etc. at all.

I have been in similar situations on the other side and each and every time I've had my reasons and they've had theirs for why the situation got out of hand. Communication will help with this and nothing else. She may feel alienated and alone in her commitment to this and offering to listen to how she feels would go a long way in easing the tension.

Send her here
#7 Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Wow.

Where's that ignore button again...
#8 Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ I wouldn't fight fire with fire.

Just explain to her that it's your choice, and to please stop lecturing you on it. Let her know how you feel.

Also, just a friendly-reminder, it's in the TOS here that you are either vegan/vegetarian/are interested in reducing meat intake.
#9 Old 04-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, that's great. Turn it into a /fight/. Good idea, right there.
#10 Old 04-15-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanks Guys, Wow that was fast! =) I'll give it a try.
#11 Old 04-15-2008, 07:42 PM

Also - to the people who seem to get angery that im here...

I am interested - i try to be extreemly earth friendly and reducing meat is apart of that. If i didnt give a rat behind i wouldnt be here... Im veggie when im with her, im a part of a major vegan fellowship at my church, and the veggies that try to exclude me arent exactlly winning me over...

Good Job.
#12 Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

A major vegan fellowship in a church? Tell me more! I've found few Christians in church settings to be interested in veg*nism, but that may be a location-based phenomenon.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#13 Old 04-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish View Post

I am interested - i try to be extreemly earth friendly and reducing meat is apart of that. If i didnt give a rat behind i wouldnt be here... Im veggie when im with her, im a part of a major vegan fellowship at my church, and the veggies that try to exclude me arent exactlly winning me over...

No one is angry with you it's just that this is a vegetarian board for vegetarians or people ineterested in going vegetarian. That's all It is also confusing when you say you "are vegetarian" when you're with her since that's technically impossible. It might be easier and less confusing if you acknowledge that you just don't eat meat around her- which is very nice of you BTW.

I'm sorry you're experiencing exclusion from other vegetarians but again, being that you're not vegetarian and do in fact eat animals, it's not so much exclusion as it is that you are not a part of something and you are different. You make different choices and that's up to you but it may be easier if you understand that if you drive a car you may not be accepted in the "bicycles only" club.
#14 Old 04-15-2008, 07:54 PM

Im not sure it even is a church but its a lot like one, that's very open. http://www.uua.org/index.shtml A mine in my town we have a vegan pot luck atleast once a month, we have an organic garden, we have weekly discussions about living green and other things, we are having a green fair all sunday afternoon, and our main church service is open to all faiths. I love it i feel so at home. =)
#15 Old 04-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Good Job.

No one is angry you are here, they were just pointing out the rules of the site. Are you interested in reducing your meat consumption completely? We're all happy to help with nutrition help, support and general info.

ETA If I ever went to church, I'd go to yours!!!
#16 Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Good Job.

I was just telling you the rules of the site. Excuse me for warning you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page