Sugar Cravings? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-25-2008, 03:37 PM

Today is my 7th day as a ve*etarian and until this afternoon I've felt great, not even any cravings. Then this afternoon sugar cravings hit like they would when I was eating meat. Does anyone know if this is normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I have sugar cravings all the time, but that's because I gave up sweets for Lent. *eats apple*
#3 Old 02-25-2008, 04:46 PM

I don't think sugar cravings have anything to do with being veg*n or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't answer your question, but sorry about your sugar cravings. I used to get those too. My son was on my case for years to cut down on sugar, and finally, I did. I still use sweeteners: maple syrup, agave, millet(I think that's the English name) sugar, etc. But I don't get so many cravings anymore now that white sugar is used only occasionally.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#5 Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

As long as you stay away from aspertame My friend is currently experimenting on it. It has been linked to leukemia and has been proven of giving off formaldehyde (at a certian temperature)
#6 Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

When the sugar cravings kick in I reach for a Vegan treat, maybe you can find them in a health food store.
#7 Old 02-27-2008, 01:10 PM

^^^I agree with busy91! Whenever sugar cravings strike (or other bad habit cravings :P) it's best to just replace it with a healthy alternative. I usually have a piece of fruit or maybe a glass of fruit juice when I crave sugar.
#8 Old 02-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I've always craved sugar in two occasions.

When I got sick and when I was physically active. I used to eat family sized baggies when I was having trouble with my illness.

I guess it seemed to kick in when I most needed extra energy.

Then I used to keep a small candy next to my bed so when I needed to get up and was extra tired, I'd eat the candy so I could get going.
#9 Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I don't think sugar cravings have anything to do with being veg*n or not.

me either...i had then as a meat eater and as a veggie...sorry you are having them...I am trying to cut down on my Sugar/ sweets...I am bigg sweet eater so I usually grab a piece of fruit.
#10 Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm curious, does the fruit satisfy your sweet cravings? That never worked for me, but I did at least feel better having the fruit before my depraved sweet chowdown.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#11 Old 02-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I am a complete sugar/junkfood addict. For me, it's pure willpower. I've been off artificial sweeteners for almost a year now and it hasn't helped the cravings any. I also had to stop kidding myself...if I want chocolate, an apple isn't going to do it. So having a small portion of a vegan treat is the way to go for me. The more I deprive myself of the things I want, the more I want them. So moderation is the key and facing up to the fact that sometimes I just have to tell myself 'no', or 'enough'. I have heard the cutting out sugar altogether will work if you can get over the hurdle of the first few weeks...I haven't been able to do that yet, however. For me, it's simply keeping things in balance and overdoing it.
#12 Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Beginner

http://www.cybermacro.com/Macrobioti...Albert-Matesz/

Has some useful information.

There has been research that found eating oatmeal (especially real oatmeal) for breakfast cuts down sugar cravings quite a bit throughout the day. Steel cut oats and Irish/Scottish oats have a lot of complex carbohydrates that break down a lot slower than instant oatmeal. This results in a steadier blood sugar level throughout a good portion of your day. I like Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal personally ^_^
#13 Old 02-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually only get sugar cravings after consuming sugar or something really salty. In fact, I can't think of any time where a sugar craving just hit me out of the blue.

I try to stay away from sugar because I know when I have a little, I'll want more. Normally munching on fruit and telling my brain to shut up (and then distracting myself with the pc/tv) will normally do the trick for me.

I hope you can find something that works for you!
#14 Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I raid the kitchen of the molasses.

I'm bad :]
#15 Old 03-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

There's no meat in sugar.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page