Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 3.0 - Page 50 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1471 Old 07-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Well it's not exactly a stupid thing said by an omni, but I wanted to share this without starting a whole new thread. I was just watching tv with my dad and some lady was showing how to cook mussels. She had just put them in the pan with olive oil and she was saying "Make sure that all of the mussels are closed. That's how you know they are still alive." and I about died. "WHAT?! STILL ALIVE?!"

disgusting!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1472 Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missanthropy15 View Post

ROFL @ "Will you still be doing that in December?" ha ha ha ha ha ha

So there's this girl at work that I can't stand. She is just gross and trashy and, even though we work with the Sheriff's Department, she is always talking about the cops coming to her trailer oops I mean house. So in the past she has offered me ice cream and I have politely declined and she gives me an attitude, like I have personally insulted her, or she snubs me like she thinks I think I am better than her for not eating the ice cream. Today she offers me a piece of someone's birthday cookie thing and I, again, politely declined, and stated 'It's nothing personal, I just don't eat meat or dairy.' To which she replies "How do you survive? That's pretty much all I eat is meat and dairy."

I pretty much had to slap my hand across my mouth to stop myself from verbally vomitting this in response: 'Well, I guess someone has to make up for your ignorant gluttony.' I dislike her even more now.

LOL, you're funny

If she ate only meat and dairy, she would be dead or severely constipated.
#1473 Old 07-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

Yeah.. that was the sort of comment where I would take the person aside and let them know in a bit of a hushed voice "You should be careful, some people will find it offensive to have it implied that their beliefs are just part of a phase. Just so you know... I know you didn't mean it that way though, of course."

Depends on the person of course, but sometimes pretending it was an innocent mistake (and if they're smart, they take the escape route you just laid out for them) and pointing it out to them can resolve problems well...

either way, what sobs for complaining about three choices... who knows though, maybe they'd be happier if one was a vegetarian dish? Pasta or something equally neutral.

I agree, a few of the people were elderly and I don't think there is much I can do to change them and i don't think they meant it in a mean way..they just don't understand.

But, some of the people should know better! I do like to pretend it was an innocent mistake when I can...its just less confrontational and I have enough confrontation at work..LOL

The chef for the Christmas dinner is making me a vegan surprise he said! I am excited!

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1474 Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I almost feel bad putting these quotes on here, because they were said by some of my closest friends on another forum...

But we started talking about Boca burgers and that led to veg*nism...

"I love meat, but I get only organic, and the most I eat is white chicken, rarely pork, but I do love beef, yes meat girl I am, however, I prefer chicken....

Could never give it up...

I dunno, I guess being meat-free isn't for me, I tried it but can't do it..."

And later she said:

"Well when you think about it meat is disgusting, LOL...

I was cutting up chicken the other day and kept thinking... 'I have a carcass in my kitchen' hmm...."

Someone else:

"I can't eat meat if I think about what it is. Like if someone says that I'm eating cow, that bothers me. I know beef is cow, but I don't like to think about it And I can't eat veal knowing that its a baby something"

First person:

"I can't eat veal or lamb or rabbit, or anything like that...deer? OMG "

I have said 100 times before that I don't see a difference between a cow and a deer but whatever...and you won't eat baby cows but once they hit a year you'll eat them? wtf
#1475 Old 07-11-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssinian View Post

Seriously though, fish is a vegetable now?

I'll have to remember that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

That's when you say "I'm pretty sure considering this is a lifetime commitment... like God. You don't ask Christians if they will still be Christians in December, do you?" or "I don't know, will you still be a female/male in December?"

I like your Christian question, girl! haha love it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

My mother and I were laughing about some stupid omnivores together the other day. She is an omnivore, but she knows what cow's milk actually is. She was talking about how some guy at her work was trying to deem breast milk unsanitary and unfit to be in the fridge at work.

So I said to my mom, "Isn't it funny how people don't realize that cow's milk is really breast milk? ...From cows??"

She started cracking up and was telling me about this woman who was complaining that people kept using and drinking her coffee creamer that she put in the fridge. My mom said she told the woman to "just label it as "BREAST MILK" and people will leave it alone!"

Hee. I love her Definitely one of her smart omnivore moments.

Your mum sounds awesome!!!! hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutaweirdo View Post

Well it's not exactly a stupid thing said by an omni, but I wanted to share this without starting a whole new thread. I was just watching tv with my dad and some lady was showing how to cook mussels. She had just put them in the pan with olive oil and she was saying "Make sure that all of the mussels are closed. That's how you know they are still alive." and I about died. "WHAT?! STILL ALIVE?!"

disgusting!!!

Can I be sick now??
#1476 Old 07-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

A few days ago on a retreat: "How can you eat those cute baby vegetables?" Said jokingly while everyone else had to eat from a set menu and I got a freshly made "creation" from the chef.

I used the line about "not loving animals, but hating vegetables" which made everyone laugh and put an end to the discussion of my eating habits.
#1477 Old 07-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

I almost feel bad putting these quotes on here, because they were said by some of my closest friends on another forum...

But we started talking about Boca burgers and that led to veg*nism...

"I love meat, but I get only organic, and the most I eat is white chicken, rarely pork, but I do love beef, yes meat girl I am, however, I prefer chicken....

Could never give it up...

I dunno, I guess being meat-free isn't for me, I tried it but can't do it..."

And later she said:

"Well when you think about it meat is disgusting, LOL...

I was cutting up chicken the other day and kept thinking... 'I have a carcass in my kitchen' hmm...."

Someone else:

"I can't eat meat if I think about what it is. Like if someone says that I'm eating cow, that bothers me. I know beef is cow, but I don't like to think about it And I can't eat veal knowing that its a baby something"

First person:

"I can't eat veal or lamb or rabbit, or anything like that...deer? OMG "

I have said 100 times before that I don't see a difference between a cow and a deer but whatever...and you won't eat baby cows but once they hit a year you'll eat them? wtf

OMG... It irritates me like crazy when people say stuff like that... and my friends and family are just as guilty.. I love them.. but.. I kinda just smile and nod.. and try not to think of slapping them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyanca View Post

A few days ago on a retreat: "How can you eat those cute baby vegetables?" Said jokingly while everyone else had to eat from a set menu and I got a freshly made "creation" from the chef.

I used the line about "not loving animals, but hating vegetables" which made everyone laugh and put an end to the discussion of my eating habits.

hehehe.. that's good. I find sarcasm usually works pretty well. Not in a condescending way.. but in a way that says "Enough already".
#1478 Old 07-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Ugh. Yeah, I have friends that refuse to cook with raw meat but it is disgusting to touch. But yet all of a sudden it's not disgusting once it's been cooked?

I already mentioned this on here previously but, I have another friend that won't eat meat that looks like the animal it came from (chicken wings, shrimp, etc) because it grosses her out.

I tell people that when I see a piece of chicken or beef on a plate my mind automatically sees the entire animal and not just a piece of flesh. I guess my perception is just not convenient enough for most people since it would likely force them to think and possibly change their habits.
#1479 Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

Ugh. Yeah, I have friends that refuse to cook with raw meat but it is disgusting to touch. But yet all of a sudden it's not disgusting once it's been cooked?

I already mentioned this on here previously but, I have another friend that won't eat meat that looks like the animal it came from (chicken wings, shrimp, etc) because it grosses her out.

I tell people that when I see a piece of chicken or beef on a plate my mind automatically sees the entire animal and not just a piece of flesh. I guess my perception is just not convenient enough for most people since it would likely force them to think and possibly change their habits.

Changing habits? That's just crazy talk!
#1480 Old 07-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

Haha a person like that made it much harder to explain vegetarianism to my boyfriend's family. Apparently one of his sister's friends was "vegetarian" - she didn't eat anything that looked like an animal. She would throw up if she saw SOMEONE ELSE eating ribs, but had no problem eating a hamburger while she made nasty gagging noises at other people's food. Did I mention that this person is almost 30?
#1481 Old 07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WushuMom View Post

Changing habits? That's just crazy talk!

#1482 Old 07-11-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutaweirdo View Post

disgusting!!!

I'm guessing what she meant is the mussels will still be fresh when you cook them, rather than "dead", like the mussels might be decaying or something... but still,

The smell of them, fresh or boiling, always literally made me start coughing up what I last ate.
#1483 Old 07-12-2008, 02:12 AM

Over 4th of July weekend, my mom had a little picnic for some of her friends. I don't really like her friends too much (they're... loud), so I stayed inside most of the day and read. So, I'm sitting on the couch and one of my mom's friends comes in to get a drink or something. She's carrying a plate of some potato-based dish. She offered me some and I declined, as I wasn't hungry. The following brilliant conversation took place:

Her: Do you eat vegetables?

Me: ... what?

Her: Do you eat vegetables?

Me: ... obviously.

Her: Well, I mean, do you eat potatoes?

Me: Yeah... I'm just not hungry...

Yeah, I don't know either.
#1484 Old 07-12-2008, 12:12 PM

Arrghh.... Someone started a thread on another forum, going on and on about Chinese people eating dogs, and how wrong it is. I point out it is no worse than what we do to cows here, and she quickly moved to defend America's 'stringent slaughter procedures.'
#1485 Old 07-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySoStarry View Post

Arrghh.... Someone started a thread on another forum, going on and on about Chinese people eating dogs, and how wrong it is. I point out it is no worse than what we do to cows here, and she quickly moved to defend America's 'stringent slaughter procedures.'

It always amazes me how people can defend their particular form of animal cruelty, be it eating dogs or eating cows. So sad.

#1486 Old 07-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Just as I'm sure someone who eats dogmeat would defend their country's "stringent slaughter procedures." Korea even recently passed laws to this effect.

It's all a matter of perception.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#1487 Old 07-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a class with a couple of girls who are really big horse lovers. They are really big on telling people about what goes on to horses when they killed for various purposes and how they would never by products that caused horses to go through this process. So apparently horses are exempt from the disgusting standard slaughter practices, but every animal they eat for lunch is not.

gir. double standards......
#1488 Old 07-13-2008, 11:45 AM

I ordered a salad from Panera and when I went to get it I saw that there was some kind of bread that came with it. I asked the lady behind the counter if she could tell me what kind of bread it was. Well she looks at me and says, "Its the baguette that comes with all of our sandwiches." So then I proceeded to ask if there was any dairy or eggs in it. Well then she looks at me and says, "No, it is just bread."

Needless to say I didn't eat it.
#1489 Old 07-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Today at my camp training (I'm volunteering at an autism camp), one of the managers asked if any of us had any dietary restrictions. One girl raised her hand and said, "I'm a vegetarian who only eats happy meat... You know, I have to know that the animal was treated well before it was killed." She later went on to say, "But I don't care about eggs, cheese or anything like that."

I could not believe it. I had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing and asking "Are you serious?"

I really want to give her a pamphlet that explains exactly what goes on behind dairy and eggs, and that "happy meat" is a joke. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!
#1490 Old 07-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Where does she get off calling herself a vegetarian if she eats MEAT?

*this space not for sale*
#1491 Old 07-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

Today at my camp training (I'm volunteering at an autism camp), one of the managers asked if any of us had any dietary restrictions. One girl raised her hand and said, "I'm a vegetarian who only eats happy meat... You know, I have to know that the animal was treated well before it was killed." She later went on to say, "But I don't care about eggs, cheese or anything like that."

I could not believe it. I had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing and asking "Are you serious?"

I really want to give her a pamphlet that explains exactly what goes on behind dairy and eggs, and that "happy meat" is a joke. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

Happy meat?

I give you a lot of credit for not saying what was going through your mind at the time.

#1492 Old 07-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote from another forum:

"I thought vegetarians are "allowed" to eat fish? Unless you're HARDCORE and can't eat anything that wasn't already dead when they found it."

WHAT THE ****ING ****?!

rage
#1493 Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM

At a wedding, after explaining why I wasn't having the main entree. She followed the comment up with a blank stare.

"Yeah, but the thing I don't understand about not eating meat is... just because you don't eat the meat at the grocery store doesn't mean that someone else won't."
#1494 Old 07-13-2008, 06:30 PM

A coworker, talking about cows...

"We could break their legs and force feed 'em, for all I care."
#1495 Old 07-13-2008, 06:35 PM

After mentioning to coworkers that my legs were sore from my daily run, happened to be 10 miles that morning...

"You're low on protein dude."

...I run more every day than that guy has in the last 5 years.
#1496 Old 07-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Beginner

My motto: don't trust anyone that tries to inform you of something, and then says dude.
#1497 Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarcake View Post

My motto: don't trust anyone that tries to inform you of something, and then says dude.

#1498 Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwobot View Post

At a wedding, after explaining why I wasn't having the main entree. She followed the comment up with a blank stare.

"Yeah, but the thing I don't understand about not eating meat is... just because you don't eat the meat at the grocery store doesn't mean that someone else won't."

Your reply should be: "And if we don't drink the alcohol and drive home, someone else will."

or

"And if we don't smoke pot, someone else will..."
#1499 Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard, "Turkeys are ugly and mean, so I don't mind eating them at all."

That struck me as odd since, I need to eat things that are NOT ugly and mean-- like fruits and vegetables!
#1500 Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

The other night we were making some food at my boyfriend's cousin's house and his cousin was going to saute some asparagus with his "special seasoning." He knows I'm vegetarian and has actually been pretty cool about it from the last bbq that we had over there.

him: "here guys try some"

me: "what did you put on it? is there any meat on it?"

him: "no there's no meat. it's a secret."

me: "is it hoisin sauce?"

him: "no, there's it's not hoisin sauce. there's no meat, try it."

me: "is it oyster sauce?"

him: "yeah there's oyster sauce."

me: "uh, then i can't eat it..that's fish."

him: "ohh sorry."

So yeah so glad I kept bugging him to tell me. I probably wouldn't have tried it anyway. He was pretty drunk so I'll let it go and he apologized b/c he felt bad. My boyfriend and his family are Asian so I knew there was a good possibility of there being fish or oyster sauce. In the past a lot of his family is surprised that I consider seafood "meat."
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page