Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 3.0 - Page 49 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1441 Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMO17 View Post

My dad(he works with doctors) told me that diet coke(and diet soda in general i think) cause cancer. one of the people he works with told him this story about one of his patients who was being treated for cancer, and the patient came in and the doctor was drinking a diet soda. the patient got so made that he grabbed the soda threw across the room(at a wall) and yelled "HOW CAN YOU DRINK THAT IN FRONT OF ME?!!"

just a warning don't drink diet soda.

P.S. i can't type or spell today!

I had a friend who did an experiment on that (in a research class we were in). The aspertame in it releases formaldehyde at a certian temperature and has been linked to leukemia. I don't trust anything that says "sugar-free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1442 Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♪Musictarian♪♥ View Post

I don't trust anything that says "sugar-free."

Neither do I, but not because of artificial sweeteners, but because often people think sugar free=healthy. I went to a Ralph's grocery store the other day and saw sugar free apple turnovers and on the box was a label that said "For your Health." I flipped it over and each turnover had 6 GRAMS OF TRANS FAT. 6! I couldn't believe it.
#1443 Old 07-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

coworker: 'Do you eat chicken patties?'

me: 'like fake chicken?'

coworker: 'no chicken patties, it's just ribmeat so it's ok right?'

me: 'seeing it's still a baby chicken's body, then no, I don't eat it. fake chicken nuggets, now that's another thing. Mmm, tofu meat'

coworker: 'ew, you're so gross'

le sigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1444 Old 07-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post

Reminds me of this:

awesome. bahaha.
#1445 Old 07-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I do try not to let most of the things people say get to me, but sometimes I snap and yell like mad woman.

I was out and about with my mom today. We met one of her co-workers who said I look so grown up and healthy. I told her I was a vegan now. She obviously didn't know what it was, so I told her. She was all like "no, sweetheart that's very unhealthy for you. I know people who have gotten serious vitamin deficiencies and they've lost teeth and gone blind." Then she turned to my mom and told her she was pretty much stupid for letting me eat this way. First off, I'm 19!!! I can make my own decisions! Secondly, my mom knows how healthy I am and she supports me all the way. I didn't want to start an argument so I just said I felt better than ever and that I was fully capable of taking care of myself. Inside, I was boiling, ready to attack her and rip her to pieces. My mom gave me an understanding look and that helped.
#1446 Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssinian View Post

I do try not to let most of the things people say get to me, but sometimes I snap and yell like mad woman.

I was out and about with my mom today. We met one of her co-workers who said I look so grown up and healthy. I told her I was a vegan now. She obviously didn't know what it was, so I told her. She was all like "no, sweetheart that's very unhealthy for you. I know people who have gotten serious vitamin deficiencies and they've lost teeth and gone blind." Then she turned to my mom and told her she was pretty much stupid for letting me eat this way. First off, I'm 19!!! I can make my own decisions! Secondly, my mom knows how healthy I am and she supports me all the way. I didn't want to start an argument so I just said I felt better than ever and that I was fully capable of taking care of myself. Inside, I was boiling, ready to attack her and rip her to pieces. My mom gave me an understanding look and that helped.

Its situations like this where I am so so glad that I took advanced courses in university--it doesnt matter if what you're saying isn't 100% relevant--all you have to do is prove to them you're smarter than they are and they tend to bite their tongues.

******* thing to do? maybe, but it sure does feel sweet.

As for the lady who threw a diet coke across the room: I don't think thats a stupid omnivore thing, I think thats a sensitive cancer patient thing. But then again, your post didn't seem to be making fun of her, but just sayin' in case.
#1447 Old 07-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

My supervisor at work this morning:

Supervisor:"Wait, come here, I want you to try something"

Me:"Ok"

Supervisor:"Oh, shoot I forgot. You can't have this, it has bacon in it. But it is sooooo good. Bacon and cheese biscuits"

Me:"Oh well, thats too bad"

Supervisor:"Well, it is more like hunks of bacon. You can probably eat around them if you want"

Me:"Nah, I'm fine, thanks anyway."

Supervisor:"Mine only had one peice of bacon in it, and it is so good. So there would probably not be a whole lot of meat if you decided to just eat it. It isn't red meat either. It is really good, you have to have some"

Me:"Nah, I'm good"

Supervisor:"So you won't even risk it?,most girls grow out of the whole vegetarian thing in their 20's, anyway"

#1448 Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by counting_hours View Post

My supervisor at work this morning:

Supervisor:"Wait, come here, I want you to try something"

Me:"Ok"

Supervisor:"Oh, shoot I forgot. You can't have this, it has bacon in it. But it is sooooo good. Bacon and cheese biscuits"

Me:"Oh well, thats too bad"

Supervisor:"Well, it is more like hunks of bacon. You can probably eat around them if you want"

Me:"Nah, I'm fine, thanks anyway."

Supervisor:"Mine only had one peice of bacon in it, and it is so good. So there would probably not be a whole lot of meat if you decided to just eat it. It isn't red meat either. It is really good, you have to have some"

Me:"Nah, I'm good"

Supervisor:"So you won't even risk it?,most girls grow out of the whole vegetarian thing in their 20's, anyway"

What an ass.

*this space not for sale*
#1449 Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssinian View Post

She was all like "no, sweetheart that's very unhealthy for you. I know people who have gotten serious vitamin deficiencies and they've lost teeth and gone blind."

It will forever remain a mystery to me how so many omnis seem to have come across a couple of vegans, and usually such who almost died from being vegan, while I as a vegan can still count the vegans I have met in real life on one hand.

It reminds me of smokers always allegedly knowing both someone who died from lung cancer without ever having smoked and someone who smoked like a chimney but lived into their 100s
#1450 Old 07-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

It will forever remain a mystery to me how so many omnis seem to have come across a couple of vegans, and usually such who almost died from being vegan, while I as a vegan can still count the vegans I have met in real life on one hand.

It reminds me of smokers always allegedly knowing both someone who died from lung cancer without ever having smoked and someone who smoked like a chimney but lived into their 100s

OMG Isn't that amazing? I've met maybe like two vegans in my life. Where do they find these teethless dying vegans????

Quote:

.............Wow. Do people know how offensive they are??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

As for the lady who threw a diet coke across the room: I don't think thats a stupid omnivore thing, I think thats a sensitive cancer patient thing. But then again, your post didn't seem to be making fun of her, but just sayin' in case.

I agree. It's kind of annoying to see doctors and nurses outside on the cigarette breaks too... if I was a cancer patient I'd be pretty ticked off.

Now, I love my mother. She's so sweet. But even though I've been a vegan for 8 years now and my son has always been vegan, she still thinks it's a phase!

I told her yesterday how I'm planning on having a vegan potluck for Ethan's 6th birthday party and how he wants to find more vegan friends and she goes.. "Well that will all change.. when he's a teenager, that will change."

Me: What do you mean?

Her: You changed.

Me: I'm still vegan.. it's been 8 years..

Her: It's been 8 years and you have not put one piece of meat in your mouth at all?? I don't believe it.

Me: -look of disbelief- Mom... that's disgusting.

LOL I love her.. but she has no clue.
#1451 Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WushuMom View Post

Me: What do you mean?

Her: You changed.

Me: I'm still vegan.. it's been 8 years..

Her: It's been 8 years and you have not put one piece of meat in your mouth at all?? I don't believe it.

Me: -look of disbelief- Mom... that's disgusting.

I guess along with the toothless,dying veg*ns, we all also travel in packs, hiding shamefully in alleyways behind MacDonalds, stuffing ourselves with the sweet, sweet, meaty goodness of big mac..... Which also explains why all the veg*ns you may have met are not infact dying, because we sustain ourselves on hamburgers and hot rods in secret.
#1452 Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

because we sustain ourselves on hamburgers and hot rods in secret.

Ive heard that too a couple of times too:

So you mean you havent eaten any meat/eggs/dairy at all since going vegan not even secretly? No exceptions whatsoever?

Thats from the perspective of someone who can only imagine it to be a sacrifice to deprive oneself from all the things s/he could never live without of course. Which is/was usually what follows next, some detailed description of the kind and preparation of the animal part they need to eat to survive (I always assumed this type imagines that we're secretly drooling over it at that point?)

I should add that most of my colleagues (at least those who understand the concept at all) who basically were the only people who delighted in teasing me about it, seem to have gotten used to me being vegan by now. And people do not seem to think of it as me having a phase either (there are some advantages of having slightly outgrown ones twenties after all I guess).
#1453 Old 07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

people do not seem to think of it as me having a phase either (there are some advantages of having slightly outgrown ones twenties after all I guess).

Oh yeah, this is my favorite, for me. Apparently, as I am 19, this September on my birthday I am going to suddenly burst forth from my vegetarian haze and realize I want to eat dead animals again,rush to the nearest steakhouse and gourge myself on mostly raw meat, and it will become clear, that truely, I was being immature this whole time.
#1454 Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I'm going to print your comment out and put it in my wallet, when I hear someone mention one of the 2 issues you listed, I'll pull this out and say "You're so predictable."
#1455 Old 07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

It always shocks me how few people grasp that animals (including most humans) are lactose intolerant. I'm on a bunny lj community, and this person asked something like, "I give my cat and dog a bowl of milk every day, and is it ok to give my bunny some too?" A decent amount of people answered, "No, rabbits are lactose intolerant," but NOBODY thought to say, "Hey, your cat and dog are lactose intolerant too! They just don't keel over because of an upset tummy as easily as rabbits do." I think if people just sat and thought about this ... eating milk would seem a whole lot less "normal."
#1456 Old 07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Reminds me of when I discovered some kittens replacement milk sold at pet stores is dairy....of course I would also worry if it was from cats.
#1457 Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Someone made a mexican style shrimp cocktail and brought it into work the other day. It is made of the following items: Clamata, shrimp, cucumber, onion, avocado

Coworker: Have some shrimp cocktail

Me: No thanks!

Coworker: Oh, you don't eat fish either?

Me: No, I don't, but I brought my lunch so I am alright, thank you though!

Coworker: Well you could just take some without the shrimp to try it.

Me: (slaps self on head in disbelief... CLAMATO PEOPLE... CLAMATO!) I really do appreciate the offer, but I would rather leave it for someone who will really enjoy it.

I also understand the whole phenomenon where people assume that your veg*nism is a 'phase'. I get this one all the time: So how long are you not eating meat or dairy? Ugh
#1458 Old 07-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missanthropy15 View Post

Someone made a mexican style shrimp cocktail and brought it into work the other day. It is made of the following items: Clamata, shrimp, cucumber, onion, avocado

Me: (slaps self on head in disbelief... CLAMATO PEOPLE... CLAMATO!) I really do appreciate the offer, but I would rather leave it for someone who will really enjoy it.

I also understand the whole phenomenon where people assume that your veg*nism is a 'phase'. I get this one all the time: So how long are you not eating meat or dairy? Ugh

I've never heard of Clamato. Just wiki'd it. GROSS!!?!!! Clam and tomato?! Who in the world came up with that?! Eeeeeeeeeewwww...
#1459 Old 07-09-2008, 03:52 PM

My favorite omni question, upon learning that I am veg is, "Wow, so what do you eat then???" My answer: "Uhhh, everything else..."

And then there's my mom when I refuse something she has made, "Oh, there's just a little meat in it." silly mommy.
#1460 Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I keep getting told that fish and shelfish doesn't count as meat. I just feel like banging my head againt a wall! Seriously though, fish is a vegetable now? Come on! Just the sound of it makes my eyes roll back into my head.
#1461 Old 07-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm guessing clamato is clams and tomato, right?...Sick! I had never eaten other seafood, besides fish before going veg and for good reasons....it STINKS!
#1462 Old 07-09-2008, 05:28 PM

Reading these is so hilarious and also preparing me. I will admit that NO one has ever had the nerve to say such rude or clueless things to me as of yet (lucky me!). I think though I can attribute that to living in new york city and working in health care. People tend to be smarter.
#1463 Old 07-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

oh no i wasn't making fun of her, sorry if it came off that way. i was just responding to two posts that talked about how much diet coke the posters family members drink "for their health"
#1464 Old 07-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I was at a meeting last night and telling the people there all the plans I had made for the Christmas party in December, found a banquet room, paid the security, worked out a menu, etc etc.

Several of them got upset as they only had a choice between roast beef, chicken cordon bleu or broiled fish for their entree. When I asked them what else they wanted they didn't know. So I finally told them I was the only one with no entree since I was the only veggie person.

One of them finally said; "Well, yeah, but do you really think you'll still be doing that in December?"...

WTF!? Why would they think its a phase? I have been veg for as long as any of them have known me! I don't even bother to tell them I am vegan, to them vegetarian is bad enough..

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#1465 Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirrlup View Post

I was at a meeting last night and telling the people there all the plans I had made for the Christmas party in December, found a banquet room, paid the security, worked out a menu, etc etc.

Several of them got upset as they only had a choice between roast beef, chicken cordon bleu or broiled fish for their entree. When I asked them what else they wanted they didn't know. So I finally told them I was the only one with no entree since I was the only veggie person.

One of them finally said; "Well, yeah, but do you really think you'll still be doing that in December?"...

WTF!? Why would they think its a phase? I have been veg for as long as any of them have known me! I don't even bother to tell them I am vegan, to them vegetarian is bad enough..

That's when you say "I'm pretty sure considering this is a lifetime commitment... like God. You don't ask Christians if they will still be Christians in December, do you?" or "I don't know, will you still be a female/male in December?"
#1466 Old 07-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

That's when you say "I'm pretty sure considering this is a lifetime commitment... like God. You don't ask Christians if they will still be Christians in December, do you?" or "I don't know, will you still be a female/male in December?"

oo! Good answer! It always amazes me that people think this is a phase we go through on our way to being mature and normal meat eaters! LOL

I guess I will remain immature..

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#1467 Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

oo! Good answer! It always amazes me that people think this is a phase we go through on our way to being mature and normal meat eaters! LOL

Yeah.. that was the sort of comment where I would take the person aside and let them know in a bit of a hushed voice "You should be careful, some people will find it offensive to have it implied that their beliefs are just part of a phase. Just so you know... I know you didn't mean it that way though, of course."

Depends on the person of course, but sometimes pretending it was an innocent mistake (and if they're smart, they take the escape route you just laid out for them) and pointing it out to them can resolve problems well...

either way, what sobs for complaining about three choices... who knows though, maybe they'd be happier if one was a vegetarian dish? Pasta or something equally neutral.
#1468 Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

My mother and I were laughing about some stupid omnivores together the other day. She is an omnivore, but she knows what cow's milk actually is. She was talking about how some guy at her work was trying to deem breast milk unsanitary and unfit to be in the fridge at work.

So I said to my mom, "Isn't it funny how people don't realize that cow's milk is really breast milk? ...From cows??"

She started cracking up and was telling me about this woman who was complaining that people kept using and drinking her coffee creamer that she put in the fridge. My mom said she told the woman to "just label it as "BREAST MILK" and people will leave it alone!"

Hee. I love her Definitely one of her smart omnivore moments.
#1469 Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Depending on who you're talking to, you can end it with "Are we done asking stupid questions?" I don't think I'd use that unless I was harassed over and over though.

Quote:

Yeah.. that was the sort of comment where I would take the person aside and let them know in a bit of a hushed voice "You should be careful, some people will find it offensive to have it implied that their beliefs are just part of a phase. Just so you know... I know you didn't mean it that way though, of course."

Depends on the person of course, but sometimes pretending it was an innocent mistake (and if they're smart, they take the escape route you just laid out for them) and pointing it out to them can resolve problems well...

either way, what sobs for complaining about three choices... who knows though, maybe they'd be happier if one was a vegetarian dish? Pasta or something equally neutral.

I actually like your response A LOT. Good idea... definately appropriate for many situations.

With my family or friends, it wouldn't work, but for co-workers and such, it would.
#1470 Old 07-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

ROFL @ "Will you still be doing that in December?" ha ha ha ha ha ha

So there's this girl at work that I can't stand. She is just gross and trashy and, even though we work with the Sheriff's Department, she is always talking about the cops coming to her trailer oops I mean house. So in the past she has offered me ice cream and I have politely declined and she gives me an attitude, like I have personally insulted her, or she snubs me like she thinks I think I am better than her for not eating the ice cream. Today she offers me a piece of someone's birthday cookie thing and I, again, politely declined, and stated 'It's nothing personal, I just don't eat meat or dairy.' To which she replies "How do you survive? That's pretty much all I eat is meat and dairy."

I pretty much had to slap my hand across my mouth to stop myself from verbally vomitting this in response: 'Well, I guess someone has to make up for your ignorant gluttony.' I dislike her even more now.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page