Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 3.0 - Page 47 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
#1381 Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Beginner
 
WushuMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

I just went over to the one that particularly pushed my buttons and apologized for calling him a jerk and fake breaking up with him. He apologized as well for taking it too far, and reminded me that he and the other guy are down with that I'm a vegan and if they weren't they wouldn't go to lunch with me. They didn't mean it to go too far.



He still thinks chicken isn't meat though. I try to not think about that. My brain will EXPLODE. At least I know he wasn't trying to hurt my feelings. He's just an idiot lol





Yep, sometimes we just have to put up with the fact that they really don't understand and we all know that lack of understanding isn't a good enough reason to have problems.



Good job for making nice



I wonder if they realize how idiotic they seem sometimes.. I love my omni friends, I do... but sometimes... oi... sometimes...
WushuMom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#1382 Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Beanitarian
 
imagineaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,002
This is something stupid said (worn) recently.

Real Girls Eat Meat

Beanitarian.
imagineaa is offline  
#1383 Old 07-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
There's a thread on that issue... I used to be a JS fan, but not anymore...
danakscully64 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#1384 Old 07-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Newbie
 
chocolate_fiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 50
I'm... I'm not a real girl?

*Examines self* no no no, that can't be right.
chocolate_fiend is offline  
#1385 Old 07-04-2008, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
raefactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhan View Post

How would being a vegan vampire work? Would you drink some sort of fake blood?



But logically speaking, if drinking human blood isn't vegan then drinking human semen isn't vegan, and I believe it was determined a few years back that oral sex on a human is indeed vegan. Therefore, vampirism (assuming you only drink the blood of humans) should also be considered vegan.



But then there's some murky stuff in that general area regarding cannibalism and veganism, so I think I'll go climb in my coffin before the sun comes up...
raefactor is offline  
#1386 Old 07-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrrple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by raefactor View Post

But logically speaking, if drinking human blood isn't vegan then drinking human semen isn't vegan, and I believe it was determined a few years back that oral sex on a human is indeed vegan. Therefore, vampirism (assuming you only drink the blood of humans) should also be considered vegan.



But then there's some murky stuff in that general area regarding cannibalism and veganism, so I think I'll go climb in my coffin before the sun comes up...



Both are animal products, not just human products. Therefor not vegan.



Although one could argue that human semen does not exactly come from a process of torture. At least, not normally
Mrrple is offline  
#1387 Old 07-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Earthly Delight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,503
Oh gawd guys! ^^^^^^^^^^^



lol!



Anyway--yesterday at work a girl who 'doesn't eat meat, just fish' (and chicken wings it would seem... so I'm guessing just tries to cut down?) Started to get really offensive about my veganism. I had to insist to her "I really don't want to argue about this. I'm here to work, I'm not here to have a fight over whether honey is ethical or not. I have had this argument many many times and have a lot of practice arguing the facts and in experience it's really difficult to talk about this without sounding pushy and egotistical and frankly I'd rather just spend my day chatting, working and tanning." (We're lifeguards) Some of the other guards were impressed with the fact I didn't want to push anything on her or them, but she couldn't stop going "but thats stupid, but it doesnt make sense, but they're not hurt" and she believed animal testing was necessary etc. (She also said she believes we are higher on the food chain--therefore its ok to eat animals. I said "Whether that's true or not, I know I can live my life without hurting another animal, and don't see why I should." That line shut her up, as it usually does.) I really really just didn't want to argue--I find it so tiring and pointless to try and educate someone who comes at you off the bat spitting (and she almost was): they don't listen anyway so its like talking to a brick wall that gets mad.
Earthly Delight is offline  
#1388 Old 07-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrrple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,562
Aw. That sucks you had to try and deal with someone like that



But snaps for you for sticking up for yourself!!!
Mrrple is offline  
#1389 Old 07-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular
 
nwysca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

I said "Whether that's true or not, I know I can live my life without hurting another animal, and don't see why I should." That line shut her up, as it usually does.



That's a great way to end the conversation -- I feel the same way about not wanting to discuss the issue with people who obviously don't agree with being vegan in the first place. I wish I could come up with a good line like this, rather than just getting upset about it!
nwysca is offline  
#1390 Old 07-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Earthly Delight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,503
Thanks nwysca & mrrple!



I use that line regularily--it almost always works. It's especially good when people are trying to use the "natural vs unnatural" arguments or "its ok because we're a higher being" or "hypothetical apocalyptical desert island scenario" reasoning. Saying something like



"you believe A and I believe B, and you might be right or I might be. But I KNOW that I don't have to hurt anything and can remain healthy and active, so I don't see why I should."



It really reminds them that it's not about natural or unnatural, and that they can say whatever they want about nutrition and pain and sentinence--in the end you're living proof that a normal healthy happy individual can live without hurting something, and no matter what they say won't change that.' Also, you've already said that they might be right--it's really hard to argue with someone when they've already accepted your argument. :P (You can, as I do, personally believe they're wrong--but is it worth arguing over?)



About coming up with lines: While there was a point where I had to come up with new responses, I also did my fair share of just getting upset. Feel free to take my lines (and anyone elses, I think there's a response thread) and make them your own--most of the replies I gave her were ones I'd said a million times over by now, lol--practice helps!
Earthly Delight is offline  
#1391 Old 07-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular
 
PlaybackGuru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,085
"I wish you'd start eating real food" co-worker upset about the limited places I am willing to go to eat lunch at.
PlaybackGuru is offline  
#1392 Old 07-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrrple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

"I wish you'd start eating real food" co-worker upset about the limited places I am willing to go to eat lunch at.



Mrrple is offline  
#1393 Old 07-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrrple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,562
My aunt keeps saying "I'm worried about your ________ intake!!! Maybe you should eat some fish or a little dairy!!!"



UGH. She is REALLY getting on my nerves. I am WAY healthier than she is, and I don't claim to drink buckets of diet coke because 'my doctor told me so'.
Mrrple is offline  
#1394 Old 07-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular
 
cowgirrlup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

My aunt keeps saying "I'm worried about your ________ intake!!! Maybe you should eat some fish or a little dairy!!!"



UGH. She is REALLY getting on my nerves. I am WAY healthier than she is, and I don't claim to drink buckets of diet coke because 'my doctor told me so'.



My mom always tells me to eat some fish because I need it for the energy and its still vegetarian.. and I need dairy or I will die sooner from calcium deficiency...sigh...



My youngest brother says he drinks so much diet coke because he was told he needs to drink more water...



Sometimes I think I was adopted ...


Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

cowgirrlup is offline  
#1395 Old 07-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
New England Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,419
I scanned the thread(s) and don't think I saw this one although it's kind of related to the last post, if it's there sorry for repeating but the most common thing omnis say to me after I tell them I'm a veg is "Oh, your a vegetarian, so do you eat seafood" Which I hate the term seafood to begin with, sealife is much better from my point of view but whatever. The point is, I think it's a "stupid" question to ask. Maybe it's just me and I wouldn't have posted it if I wasn't asked this question SO frequently. Strange.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New England Vegan is offline  
#1396 Old 07-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
New England Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

"I wish you'd start eating real food" co-worker upset about the limited places I am willing to go to eat lunch at.

I've run into these same sort of comments. Sometimes for the sake of "office politics" I end up in a situation where I have to go out when invited. Often they powers that be decide on some horrible corporate chain restaurant. So I end up with some lettuce in a bowl (I wouldn't even call it a salad after shaving off the suspect ingredients from my order) I have been successful at keeping myself out of these situations as time has gone on. I am very rarely put in that situation anymore. They just sort of stopped asking the "fruity vegetarian guy" who refuses to eat "real food" to go along with them.

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New England Vegan is offline  
#1397 Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Bells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,658
My mother keeps telling me these "true" stories about so and so's daughter who incorporated fish and dairy back into her diet because it was "too hard" and she was weak and unhealthy. Somehow, she thinks this is supposed to make me eat animal products again... I just think it's funny because every week it's someone else's daughter.
Bells is offline  
#1398 Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
I've commented on that phenomenon before...the idea that your mother or somebody else can throw out some anecdote stating their hair stylist's cousin's accountant's daughter-in-law tried to be a vegetarian and got really sick and that's supposed to make us come to our senses and go back to eating meat...



...and for good measure, throw in a little xenophobia, you know, your cousin Phil went to India to live in an ashram and when he came back he was practically dead because all he lived on while in Indiia was rice and tea because you know, those Hindus have such AWFUL vegetarian diets, no protein or nuthin'...

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#1399 Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrrple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,562
Next time someone pulls that crap, I'll tell them "I knew this guy who ate meat, and he weighed 467 pounds. He got really sick and died from colon cancer."
Mrrple is offline  
#1400 Old 07-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

Next time someone pulls that crap, I'll tell them "I knew this guy who ate meat, and he weighed 467 pounds. He got really sick and died from colon cancer."



And sadly, you can even find proof for that one online! There are billions of cases like that.... maybe not 467 pound people, but overweight/unhealthy meat eaters who die because of their diet.
danakscully64 is offline  
#1401 Old 07-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular
 
cowgirrlup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,589
[:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

Next time someone pulls that crap, I'll tell them "I knew this guy who ate meat, and he weighed 467 pounds. He got really sick and died from colon cancer."





Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

cowgirrlup is offline  
#1402 Old 07-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Medesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,101
I think my New Year's resolution next year will be that anytime anyone makes a stupid omni comment to me, I'll unilaterally respond, "That's what SHE said!" and laugh hysterically. Especially if it makes no sense.
Medesha is offline  
#1403 Old 07-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
You could also print out this obituary and wave it at people who claim that you'll die without meat. In case the irony escapes them, you can explain that deli food is not exactly health food, and the guy died of a heart attack.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#1404 Old 07-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
20 seconds after I read your post, Amy, my Mom came home and gave me a menu she picked up from a deli she just went to They have vegetarian options, I just thought it was very funny. Will I have a heart attack if I eat the french onion soup?
danakscully64 is offline  
#1405 Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular
 
lunatilian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 572
at work today a co-worker was trying to explain to me that i'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

me: no that would mean that i do eat eggs and dairy, i don't eat any eggs or dairy

him: no i'm pretty sure it means that you don't eat eggs and dairy



this is of course coming from one of those pesky "vegetarians" that eats fish
lunatilian is offline  
#1406 Old 07-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Newbie
 
hamrthroer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
My favorite thing people who have know for years that I am a vegitarian do is when we are talking about cooking and I say "brown some Sausage" they say "you mean Vegetarian Sausage right?" Like I require them to say "I had a meat steak for dinner", or "For breakfast I had eggs from a chicken, meat sausage and a glass of cow's milk". I can 't tell it's because their simple or wishfull thinking.
hamrthroer is offline  
#1407 Old 07-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrrple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,562
"Mushrooms are a fungus?"



Mrrple is offline  
#1408 Old 07-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrrple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,562
Oh my god. I did a google search, and look what I found:



http://www.powerofmeat.com/



"If meat wasn’t already a good naturally occurring food designed for our bodies, it wouldn’t be so hard to get what we need in vegetable form."



"The fact is, meat is the most naturally occurring, well balanced and easily obtained and digested package of proteins, essential acids and source of iron and Vitamin B 12 that you can find. Somehow you must find and consume all of the things that meat provides so that your body can stay healthy. A meat based high protein diet is good for you. Even vegetarians are realizing they need meat in their diet."



What a load of ****.
Mrrple is offline  
#1409 Old 07-06-2008, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Went to my nephew's wedding on Thursday. I sat next to my cousin Myra at dinner, and I asked her if she was still vegetarian. She said yes, she was, but when it came time to request the chicken or fish, I told the server that I was vegetarian, and she said, "oh, yes, we have a special vegetarian meal prepared for you." I told her that the person sitting next to me was vegetarian, too, and Myra said "oh, yeah, but sometimes I eat a little fish", and she requested the salmon.



She then mentioned her husband (I never get to see him; they live in Colorado and he didn't come to the wedding), and I asked her if he was vegetarian, too. She said that he'd been vegetarian longer than she was, but he still won't eat fish because he considers fish to be meat.

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#1410 Old 07-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Newbie
 
plus_sign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
I officially started a veg diet about two weeks ago. I'm living with my parents for a couple of months, but I'm never home because I work two jobs. About a week into it, I finally was obligated to tell my mother I'd become vegetarian. Unfortunately she had just spent $150 at the grocery store buying oodles and oodles of meaty, fatty, "hearty" meals. Her first reaction to my going veg? "Are you serious?! Why?! At least you'll still be eating fish... right?" Hahaha.



I think I missed biology class the day they taught us about the plant properties of salmon.
plus_sign is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off