Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 3.0 - Page 46 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1351 Old 06-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarcake View Post

I got this little gem upon my friend learning that because I'm vegan, I, in fact, do NOT wear shoes with leather; "You care too much about the world, Joe."

Man, someone should have sent the memo to Martin Luther King.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1352 Old 06-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie View Post

Love it!
#1353 Old 06-30-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie View Post

Bloody oath!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1354 Old 06-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I have to tell you all something annoying my sister said recently. We had decided that to celebrate my birthday in proper fashion (not just by buying me a lot of clothes, which she did on Saturday), we would go see Wicked at the Pantages in Hollywood, after having dinner at Real Food Daily in West Hollywood. My sister mentioned that her husband might be interested in seeing Wicked as well, and I said fersure no problem.

Well, the other day, out of the blue, she said that my BIL wouldnt like Real Food Daily and we should consider having dinner somewhere else.

*jaw drops to floor*

Um, this is MY birthday were celebrating, not his

I mumbled something about him not having to come if the food doesnt interest him

For cryin out loud, he can eat omni any other time he wants, but if *I* want to eat at a vegan restaurant just one lousy night to celebrate MY birthday, its gonna make HIM uncomfortable?

This just goes to show you that even people who should know better (she used to be a strict vegetarian and then went back to eating fish) dont think of vegan food as real food.

*this space not for sale*
#1355 Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

*hugs* I hope you get to go! Take pictures so the rest of us can live vicariously. That's my favorite restaurant in the whole wide world ... and I just moved over a thousand miles away.

Maybe you can get him to go anyways. I've had a couple of omnis tell me they were freaked out at first (but too polite to say so at the time), but the food was so "normal" that they couldn't tell it wasn't meat! Get him to get one of the sandwiches with "bacon" in it.
#1356 Old 06-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I was eating out at an all vegan restaurant over the weekend and I over heard a girl say; "Oh, I forgot my grilled cheese was going to be fake!" lol..fake!....makes me laugh because I think of pretend play food or something.
#1357 Old 07-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilurvebroccoli View Post

So, a guy at school is a huge omni...and he asks me the most stupid stuff sometimes...our conversation at lunch today...

Mike: What u eating?

Me: Vegetable soup

Mike: that has beef broth in it

Me: no, vegetable broth

Mike: oh. Do you eat tofu?

Me: no...don't care for it.

Mike: I thought all vegetarians ate tofu.

Me: No, thats a stereotype mike.

Mike: You like horses right?

Me: Yeah.

Mike: I saw this one guy shoot a horse once.

Me: Umm...

MIke: would you ever eat a horse?

Me: No.

Mike: Why?

Me: Because its meat.

Mike: No, its horse.

Me: Its meat....

Mike: What about lobster?

Me: No...thats considered meat too.

Mike: no, thats seafood.

Me: Whatever. You can go away now.

Hes so irritating.

Wow whoever he is he sounds like such a turnoff he'd make me mad
#1358 Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Beginner

Bunny is totally taking over. I like Bunny.

Anywho, that's hilarious about "Real Food Daily". Where is this wonderful restaurant located???

It does amaze me.. I posted a blog about reding "Vegan Freak" on myspace, I love that book (so far!) and one of my omni friends said it was great that I was vegan and he thanked me for not trying to "convert" people to veganism, then promised he wouldn't try and "convert" me into eating meat.. and he meant well.. but... it kind of demonstrates how weird they really think we vegans are...
#1359 Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WushuMom View Post

Anywho, that's hilarious about "Real Food Daily". Where is this wonderful restaurant located???

There are two locations: One in West Hollywood and one in Santa Monica. If you ever make it out to the El Lay area, I'll be happy to take you to either one of them.

#1360 Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

There are two locations: One in West Hollywood and one in Santa Monica. If you ever make it out to the El Lay area, I'll be happy to take you to either one of them.

I thought the Santa Monica one closed. There used to be 3 in LA, and I'm positive at least one is gone (I got laughed out of the pizza place that's there now - Beverly Hills, I think?). I was driving by trying to find an open one a few weeks ago, and I think I saw another one just closed.
#1361 Old 07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Well i was rooming with this girl at a summer camp, and we were talking one night before bed and some how the conversation got on food. She started talking about how she loves barbecued ribs and they are her favorite food. I said I didn't eat meat and then she said,"Really? Well don't ever have a rib because you will be completely ruined. You will be like man thats good let me have one more and so on and you will never be able to go back to being a vegetarian."

Let me just say Huh????? Why would I eat the rib in the first place???

Instead I didn't say this. I said I wans't vegetarian I was a vegan. Then she instantly assumed I was one because of health reasons and allergies as if there was no way anyone would be one by choice.
#1362 Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowriver View Post

I thought the Santa Monica one closed. There used to be 3 in LA, and I'm positive at least one is gone (I got laughed out of the pizza place that's there now - Beverly Hills, I think?). I was driving by trying to find an open one a few weeks ago, and I think I saw another one just closed.

The one in BH closed. The one in SM is still open.

#1363 Old 07-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

O another one I just thought of. A while back in school I got triple attacked in on day. The first started in French class, where we were watching a video of a guy walking around France and the narrarator dude tells the story in French to help us learn more vocab. Anyway, the main character of the story passes by a butcher and my French teacher, who new I was a vegan because I always refuse mmns,cake,pizza and stuff when we have class events, stops the video and asks me to name each dead carcass by its french name. Then two other guys in the class find it necessary to go mmmm bacon. Fun.

Next at lunch. Someone proceds to tell me that my shirt was made in a factory which needed electricity which used oil which came from dinasours so therefor I was indirectly contributing to the cruelty and explotation of dinasaurs.

Next my friend,joking,tells me that I am not human, a monster, a robot, and souless all because I don't eat meat.

Fun
#1364 Old 07-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaveg View Post

O another one I just thought of. A while back in school I got triple attacked in on day. The first started in French class, where we were watching a video of a guy walking around France and the narrarator dude tells the story in French to help us learn more vocab. Anyway, the main character of the story passes by a butcher and my French teacher, who new I was a vegan because I always refuse mmns,cake,pizza and stuff when we have class events, stops the video and asks me to name each dead carcass by its french name. Then two other guys in the class find it necessary to go mmmm bacon. Fun.

Next at lunch. Someone proceds to tell me that my shirt was made in a factory which needed electricity which used oil which came from dinasours so therefor I was indirectly contributing to the cruelty and explotation of dinasaurs.

Next my friend,joking,tells me that I am not human, a monster, a robot, and souless all because I don't eat meat.

Fun

LoL.. Wow. Well you can't do much to change other peoples stupidity. I say have fun with it. Next time you see them talk in a robot voice and tell them they're lucky you're a vegan monster cause all the other robot monsters think humans taste yummy.
#1365 Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

There is "vegetarian fish-sauce" at my Asian market that is labelled in another language (sorry, don't know which one) but also says several places on the label (in English) "100% vegetarian" and "no animal products" as well as listing the ingredients, which appear to be vegan, in English...

Even so, I haven't tried it because I'm just a little skeptical, ya know? I mean, why not call it faux-fish-sauce or veggie-fish-sauce? OK, maybe not...

Well there's probably fish in it. Fish aren't animals, you know

j/k
#1366 Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I assume you copied/pasted something from a blog or message board? I didn't know they let 5-year-olds post on those things. That person needs to graduate to second grade and learn a little grammar and spelling before posting on the internet.

I teach second grade. I had no problem reading it. Are you a teacher too? I didn't know we were giving grades.
#1367 Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gknee View Post

I teach second grade. I had no problem reading it. Are you a teacher too? I didn't know we were giving grades.

Holy old post, Batman!
#1368 Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

#1369 Old 07-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish my friends would call me not human, soulless, and a monster! As an aspiring vampire that would be like the ultimate compliment, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaveg View Post

Fun

#1370 Old 07-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefactor View Post

I wish my friends would call me not human, soulless, and a monster! As an aspiring vampire that would be like the ultimate compliment, lol.

How would being a vegan vampire work? Would you drink some sort of fake blood?
#1371 Old 07-03-2008, 03:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhan View Post

How would being a vegan vampire work? Would you drink some sort of fake blood?

Ketchup
#1372 Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefactor View Post

o you should really speak to my friend Julie. She has got stuff like that all day long. Of course I'v got plenty in response and so we get into quite the(joking) arguments.
#1373 Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

Ketchup

marinara sauce would work to
#1374 Old 07-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got ragged on by my coworkers (the two I'm friends with) considerably harshly about being a vegan. Apparently chicken and poultry in general and fish aren't meat. I can just eat that.

I'm so mad I could... cry
#1375 Old 07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

I just got ragged on by my coworkers (the two I'm friends with) considerably harshly about being a vegan. Apparently chicken and poultry in general and fish aren't meat. I can just eat that.

I'm so mad I could... cry

Don't pay attention to silly people.
#1376 Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

They are my friends though. Well, one was harmless and nice about it, the other just badgered the hell out of me. I'm still all morose and pissy, like I thought we all got along.

Honestly. 'Chicken isn't meat, it's poultry.' What the hell.
#1377 Old 07-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They are my friends though. Well, one was harmless and nice about it, the other just badgered the hell out of me. I'm still all morose and pissy, like I thought we all got along.

I know it's not always helpful, but I do tend to adopt a more condescending approach to people who are being intentionally thick, in order to maintain my sanity. "Chicken is poultry" "Yes, dear, there there. It's ok that you flunked biology and have no idea what constitutes the kingdom Animalia." *pats his back soothingly* "You know, they say ignorance is bliss".

It's not always the best approach, but it helps to keep me sane.

Or you could just roll your eyes at them, instead of engaging.
#1378 Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Try not to let it get to you. I know it is easier said than done. My BFF looks for opportunities where she can sneak in references to her evolutionary biology class, that she took like 15 years ago, which proved to HER that humans are designed to eat meat. For that reason I will not initiate discussions about my diet with her, which is really sad because she is my BFF and it's something that I am passionate about and want to talk about.

It isn't right, but it makes me feel better to act intellectually superior and condescending because she just doesn't get it and she has such a closed mind. If she is going to be preachy to me with no respect or reservation than I have no qualms about doing the same back to her.

It makes me pissy too...
#1379 Old 07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

ergh. :: shakes fist ::
#1380 Old 07-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I just went over to the one that particularly pushed my buttons and apologized for calling him a jerk and fake breaking up with him. He apologized as well for taking it too far, and reminded me that he and the other guy are down with that I'm a vegan and if they weren't they wouldn't go to lunch with me. They didn't mean it to go too far.

He still thinks chicken isn't meat though. I try to not think about that. My brain will EXPLODE. At least I know he wasn't trying to hurt my feelings. He's just an idiot lol
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page