Oh, I thought you were talking about outside of work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1202 Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Oh, I thought you were talking about outside of work

Naw, well, does my ex count?? It was in self defense, he broke my arm. I'm actually very non-violent..I am brought in a lot of times at work as a peacemaker..honest.

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#1203 Old 06-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

He broke your arm!? He lives locally still? I'll run him down! I'm non-violent too, honest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1204 Old 06-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

He broke your arm!? He lives locally still? I'll run him down! I'm non-violent too, honest!

Naw, he lives in Nevada now...Ely, Nevada to be accurate.

Thank you for the offer though!

#1205 Old 06-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Let me know if you need me to get rid of him... I've been watching X-Files and true crime shows for years, I can get away with it

Okay, back on topic.... we're pretty good at thread hijacking
#1206 Old 06-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Do the V-8 commercial smack to the other person

V8 may not be vegetarian. We couldn't get a straight answer out of Campbell's about that, which has prompted me to boycott the entire company.

You know, it just occurred to me that they call it "100% Vegetable Juice", yet tomatoes are a primary ingredient. Tomatoes are a fruit, not a vegetable. Can we sue for false advertising?

Yes, this is what an insomniac will think of at 3 am...

--Fromper

#1207 Old 06-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

V8 may not be vegetarian. We couldn't get a straight answer out of Campbell's about that, which has prompted me to boycott the entire company.

You know, it just occurred to me that they call it "100% Vegetable Juice", yet tomatoes are a primary ingredient. Tomatoes are a fruit, not a vegetable. Can we sue for false advertising?

--Fromper

Tomatoes are both a fruit AND a vegetable. "Vegetable" is a culinary term that can describe pretty much anything you want it to. Seaweed, mushrooms, etc. aren't even plants, but they are considered vegetables. So are tomatoes.

I would boycott Campbell's with you, but I can't think of a single thing that I buy there anyways. The only thing my family buys from them is noodle soup.
#1208 Old 06-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Beginner

I got one a few days ago.

"I love meat. I can't deny it. I think the exclusion of any kind of food is silly."

And "Veal is delicious."

It filled me with rage. He was lucky we were chatting on MSN.
#1209 Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

A stranger? Really?! I gave my ex a black eye...

lol wow, I should have done that to MY ex.
#1210 Old 06-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_fiend View Post

Another sudden expert on nutrition has a slightly scared look, and says

Cousin: "Do you still eat mushrooms?"

Me: "...Yeah(?)"

Cousin: "Good, because you need it!"

I'm just thinking, oh brother.

Mushrooms?? That's the most nutritionally important veggie food your cousin could think of? That's so odd :P
#1211 Old 06-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyMellowMan View Post

I got one a few days ago.

"I love meat. I can't deny it. I think the exclusion of any kind of food is silly."

I could go two ways with that one:

"Insects and grubs are food. You shouldn't exclude them. Let's go eat."

"I don't think of animals as being food."
#1212 Old 06-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Beginner

I just got a new one a work...I'm sure other people have heard it, but no one had ever told it to me!

"You don't even eat chicken or fish? But chicken and fish are healthy!!"
#1213 Old 06-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

--Fromper

Yeah, I know. I didn't say to drink the V8 or even buy it... "Natural Flavors," Yuck! I think we should be able to sue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

lol wow, I should have done that to MY ex.

It's never too late My ex (who honestly, I never liked, I was 17, it was a month thing) touched my behind, after being told a dozen times not to, I turned around and punched him. He deserved it, it was a perv always trying to get me in bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgorilla View Post

I just got a new one a work...I'm sure other people have heard it, but no one had ever told it to me!

I reply to things like that with "Yeah, healthy like cynanide and old shoes."
#1214 Old 06-13-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_fiend View Post

Hi everyone, I'm new here, so cut me some slack if it turns out I posted my message in the wrong place...

At this family reunion thing almost a year ago, some of my cousins were eating gummy candies. They offered me some, but I said no (gelatin alert!). One rolled her eyes at me (note: I'm more concious about what I eat then the rest of them) and asked what's in them that I don't like. I said there's probably gelatin in them. Another cousin asked me "What's gelatin?", so I told her it's ground up bones of cows, pigs, horses... and when I said "horses", she's like "WHAT?!" (she's a self-proclaimed animal lover, but really only likes dogs and horses).

She stares at me for a few moments, then goes to eat more gummy worms.

This is when I mention that I'm a vegetarian, and some of my cousins look at me odd, and the gummy-eater says "You don't eat meat?! You'll get right skinny and die!" I point out that I've always been skinny, and all she has to say is "Well... you'll get even more skinny!"

Another sudden expert on nutrition has a slightly scared look, and says

Cousin: "Do you still eat mushrooms?"

Me: "...Yeah(?)"

Cousin: "Good, because you need it!"

I'm just thinking, oh brother.

I had the same situation with gelatin. I was at a friends house and they were going to eat Pop-Tarts. I said that I only eat the ones without frosting because you know, gelatin is in that. So they all look at me, I explain, one goes that is sooo gross!! And then they all continue to eat them like we just didn't have the conversation.
#1215 Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 AM

As for stupid things they say, my mom said:

"I think it is cruel that people hunt deers. Thay say that make wonderful steak, and people hand them on walls, That animal should be left alone.

And I asked her, "Why just deers? Why is steak from a cow any different?"

And she got so mad, and said,

"Well I have my beliefs and you have yours!"

But the sad thing is she is just showing favoritism just because she likes deers. She doesn't realize that is a poor argument.
#1216 Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgorilla View Post

That's what my mom says! " You have to eat chicken! Its good for you! What about salmon? You love salmon! Its not red meat so its OK"

UGH

#1217 Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Let me know if you need me to get rid of him... I've been watching X-Files and true crime shows for years, I can get away with it

Okay, back on topic.... we're pretty good at thread hijacking

Yeah, we did wander a bit....oh well..

#1218 Old 06-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

My new housemate: Wait, coconut milk is vegan?

You know, before becoming a vegetarian, I didn't even know what coconut milk was. I'd have to stop and think about that one Maybe she thought it was like chocolate milk, different flavor though.
#1219 Old 06-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirrlup View Post

Yeah, we did wander a bit....oh well..

Just a bit....
#1220 Old 06-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

My brother: Animals aren't sentient, Bella, and honestly, I just don't care. In my opinion, we can do whatever we want with them.

I went to the Plaza in Kansas City the other day with my father, and he took me to the Tumi store... He kept picking up bags that were made out of leather and tried to convince me to get one. I repeatedly, but kindly, said no. He also picked up the bags made out of heavy duty nylon... with leather straps and detailing. I felt bad about refusing every time because he really wanted to buy me something (I don't get to see him very often because his job transferred him again and he travels frequently).

Anyway, my mother is in Texas right now, and I called to talk to her today. I told her about what happened and her response was (after a dramatic sigh): "Give it up, Bella, it's-"

I didn't hear the rest of her sentence because I quickly said goodbye and hung up. She is always telling me to give it up, it's just a cow, they don't matter, I'm being ridiculous or arrogant or spoiled... I have just had enough.

Needless to say she was very angry at me for hanging up on her.
#1221 Old 06-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I was on a forum today and someone said their doctor told them there wasn't anything good to replace meat.

I told them that a doctor was not a nutritionist, and so they called me stupid for thinkign I knew more about nutrition than a doctor.

I mean...Come one!
#1222 Old 06-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

One of the funnier ones I've heard....

Me: I don't eat anything that has eyes

Co-worker: Well, sorry to break it to you, but that potato had eyes
#1223 Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMeatMary View Post

One of the funnier ones I've heard....

Me: I don't eat anything that has eyes

Co-worker: Well, sorry to break it to you, but that potato had eyes

Well, I wouldn't define that as stupid... but it is humorous.

I would argue that a jellyfish does not have eyes. Do you eat jellyfish?
#1224 Old 06-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned

I just found a website that the foods looked excellent,I love all of those.I'd like share it to all of you www.fuboon.com
#1225 Old 06-14-2008, 03:41 AM
Beginner

O, I'll help in boycotting that V8 crap. Never liked the taste of it ^^

Oh, two lovely gems today from my friend...well let's just call her "Y". SHe sent me these two lines by this group email my friends do in the summer. It was just some random friend survey and one of the questions was "What did you want to be when you were a kid?" which I replied with "a vet".

Friend Y:your food choices are stupid to be honest and u can't be a vet w/o eating animals!!!! stop defying nature!!

u cannot be a great vet w/o tasting knowledge of the animals' falvor, texture, etc..

---

I'm used to her making silly comments about veganism all the time, but this one takes the cake! I still love her dearly though xD
#1226 Old 06-14-2008, 04:43 AM
Beginner

One of the silliest things I've heard:

"Wait. You're wearing cotton! That came from an animal!!"

I just stared at the girl like she was eating poo. Then my non-vegetarian but still supportive friend (she has a heart condition which requires her to eat meat but she wishes she could be veggie) said, "Um, cotton is a PLANT. WOOL comes from sheep. Now go get colon cancer."

The girl whom we were talking to is KNOWN for being facetious towards vegetarians/vegans. I love my friends.
#1227 Old 06-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I just stared at the girl like she was eating poo. Then my non-vegetarian but still supportive friend (she has a heart condition which requires her to eat meat but she wishes she could be veggie) said, "Um, cotton is a PLANT. WOOL comes from sheep. Now go get colon cancer."

The girl whom we were talking to is KNOWN for being facetious towards vegetarians/vegans. I love my friends.

Someone else on here had to endure the same thing from a family member (they were dead serious and arguing), we all got a good laugh about it Some people.... seriously!

I'm just curious as to what heart condition she has? Meat eating is linked to heart disease...
#1228 Old 06-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm curious too. . .

AFAIK, The only thing that meat provides that cannot be acquired from plant sources is cholesterol. Unless she has extremely low iron and it's just easier to eat meat instead of taking an iron pill. . .
#1229 Old 06-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:

I had a friend how was told by her doctor to eat more chicken livers because she was iron deficient. Why couldn't he just recommend a supplement? My mom has been taking liquid iron for years!

I got another one:

A friend offered me some tuna, she says. "It is dolphin safe!!"

And I said, what is the difference between tuna and the dolphin? Why is ok to kill and eat the tuna?"

And she got kind of quite and didn't answer me. I really put her on the spot.
#1230 Old 06-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I *did* get a straight answer out of them, though it took some doing. V8 is vegetarian, the natural flavors in it are vegetarian. However, their response to the question about it states the definition of "natural flavors" which can include meat sources. It took a few back and forth emails for me to get them to come straight out and say that yes, V8 is vegetarian. Not that I drink the stuff. It has a ridiculous amount of sodium.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page