Is Veg*nism more right than Omnivorism? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Are Veg*ns better than Omnivores?
Yes, Veg*ns are morally superior and better in every aspect to those archaic Omni's! 0 0%
Who cares? Can't we all just get along and make love? 0 0%
No. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how stupid it is. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

This is actually lefty's boyfriend, I am an omnivore who believes in having a well rounded diet to include meat and vegetables (not every meal has meat). She is Vegan. I was just wondering if the majority of people here consider themselves to be more 'right' than someone who eats meat. To restate myself to be better understood; based solely on preference of diet, do you feel as though you are a better person than someone who eats meat, because you are a veg*n?

I know the polls has kind of funny answers, but if you seriously feel a certain way, could you please elaborate? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't want to make evaluations of people. I do evaluate actions, and a veg*n diet is morally better than an omni diet.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#3 Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

My fiance is an omnivore and has no desire to be a vegetarian. I do not think I am better than him. However, I do think my choice to not eat meat, for many reasons, is more morally responsible than his to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

What are you trying to accomplish here?
#5 Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi this is Sevenseas's wife. I'm vegan but I saw this thread over SS's shoulder and wanted to comment. I don't look down on omnivores either, like SS doesn't.

btw, Sevenseas is one handsome devil.

hello all of youse seven's brother typing here. saw that his wife was posting here so I decided to comment too. as a fruitarian I just want to say that seven's one handsome devil. thats all Im gonna say cya

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#6 Old 02-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I am just trying to find out what people's beliefs are. Not trying to cause trouble or start anything, we were just having a discussion and I asked if veg*ns thought that they are morally better, so she said I could ask here.
#7 Old 02-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Firstly, vegetarians are omnivores.

And it's about principles, not people, Vegans aren't any better than omnivores, but Veganism is better (in every possible way) than omnivorism.

And lastly, the whole 'is veganism more right than omnivorism' implies that there's something right with omnivorism in the first place. There's not. There's nothing morally right (or any other type of right) about exploiting sentient beings.
#8 Old 02-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, this is Irizary's friend. I just stopped in to say 'hi!' to Sevenseas' brother.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#9 Old 02-23-2008, 10:50 AM

I don't judge people based on their diet. I think it's a bit sad to be judged by what you don't/do eat.
#10 Old 02-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonygurl00 View Post

I don't judge people based on their diet. I think it's a bit sad to be judged by what you don't/do eat.

I think it's a bit sad first off to see Veganism as a diet (um, no, it's not. kthx) then to not grasp the fact that people's 'diets', or rather, their patterns of consumption in the western world directly affect the lives of animals- human and nonhuman- and the planet. As disturbing as it is, the lives and wellbeing of millions of humans and billions of nonhumans hang in the balance of the consumer choices of privileged people.
#11 Old 02-23-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

I think it's a bit sad first off to see Veganism as a diet (um, no, it's not. kthx) then to not grasp the fact that people's 'diets', or rather, their patterns of consumption in the western world directly affect the lives of animals- human and nonhuman- and the planet. As disturbing as it is, the lives and wellbeing of millions of humans and billions of nonhumans hang in the balance of the consumer choices of privileged people.

I know veganism isn't a diet, no need to be rude. What I meant was that I don't like seeing anyone judged by what they choose to do. I agree that their actions may be wrong, but "I" wouldn't dislike someone because they eat meat.
#12 Old 02-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

The options are a bit limited, but here are my veiws:

"Yes, Veg*ns are morally superior and better in every aspect to those archaic Omni's!"

As other people have said, veg*ans themselves are not morally superior (at least not by defult, they may or may not be, I suppose) but a veg*an life style, I believe, is "morally superior". However each individual must be judged on their individual merits, making sweeping generalisations just spreads predujuice and thus hatred, so I'm not picking that one!

No. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how stupid it is.

Now see I *do* agree with this, everyone IS entitled to their oppinion, no matter how stupid it is. However, they aren't nessersairily entitled to act upon their belifes, and I certainly don't think they ought to be entitled to act upon their belifes if their belifes say it's okay to harm, eat, inflict the rights of, etc other sentinent beings. In the same way you can be racist, but that doesn't give you the right to abuse people you are predujuice towards.

"based solely on preference of diet, do you feel as though you are a better person than someone who eats meat, because you are a veg*n?"

This is an intresting question, to which I think, personally... not at all. I think most (if not all) 'wrong-doing' [and I consider meat-eating a wrong doing] to be based on ignorance, and ignorance does not make someone a bad person, or a comparitivly worse person, than another. Do I think I am a better person than a meat-eater [or for that matter a L-O-veg] NO!

I'm sorry I repeated myself a lot, I hope I helped you understand my point of veiw
#13 Old 02-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

hi, this is actually the disembodied spirit of Attilla The Hun. I just want to say that Sevenseas and me have never met, but I am sure that he is one handsome devil. his wife and brother said so!
#14 Old 02-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

This is *AHIMSA*'s clitoris, checking in to state publicly that she's a "VeganSexual".

Seriously though, isn't posting under someone else's account a bannable/otherwise punishable action?

The poll questions are ridiculous and juvenile, bordering on offensive, seeming to serve no real purpose aside from being inflammatory, especially seeing as they are coming from a self-proclaimed animal eater.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#15 Old 02-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

The poll options were supposed to be humorous, sorry if you take offense to them. I, like I stated before, was just interested in how how people viewed themselves versus others. I'm not suggesting that one way is better than the other;I am just remaining objective on both.
#16 Old 02-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the OP question is pretty suggestive/loaded/provocative. "I was just interested" doesn't sound plausible.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#17 Old 02-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

MOD POST

Posting under someone else's account, or allowing someone else to post under your account, is against the rules. Sorry.

VB is a safe haven for veg*ns, not a place for omnivores to debate or challenge the motivations or ethics of vegetarianism. Sorry.

Closing this thread. Not sorry.

Nec Aspera Terrent
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page