Fish eating "vegetarians" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-22-2008, 03:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Celebrity fish eating "vegetarians". I think they are the worst kind! Telling millions of people via tv, magazines and daily newspapers how wonderful it is that they are vegetarian and then tucking into some fish! They give out the wrong message thus making life much more difficult for the rest of us. They should be educated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2008, 04:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatregirl View Post

They should be educated!

All ovo-lacto vegetarians should.
#3 Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, they aren't vegetarians. Write a letter or something....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm telling you! Honestly!

My grandad has a load of fish currently growing in his vegetable patch!

I swear!
#5 Old 02-22-2008, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I do write! I get quite vocal about it!!
#6 Old 02-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

All ovo-lacto vegetarians should.

well jeese thanks..
#7 Old 02-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

They are what is called a hypocrite...
#8 Old 02-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

A person who doesn't eat meat - but still eats fish, whatever they call themselves, is still doing more than your average-joe.

People using the wrong label spreads confusion and this is fustrating, and I always remind pesticerians I know that they aren't vegetarians, and using the wrong label spreads misinformation, however if they're treated with contempt it'll make them want to become vegetarian LESS.

Everyone is a hypocrite to one degree or another, but a pesticerian really isn't any more of a hypocrite for not-being-vegetairan, than a LO-Vegetarian is for not being a vegan, or than many other people for being, or not being, many other things. If you cut people some slack, they'll be more likley to take your ideas on board, no?
#9 Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Everyone is a hypocrite to one degree or another, but a pesticerian really isn't any more of a hypocrite for not-being-vegetairan, than a LO-Vegetarian is for not being a vegan, or than many other people for being, or not being, many other things. If you cut people some slack, they'll be more likley to take your ideas on board, no?

I think the point that the op was making was that some folks use the name of vegetarian, but still eat fish. Now I know there's a bit contingent here that talks about not getting hung up on labels. However, I think it's important to have at least a rough definition of what vegetarian and vegan mean. If I ate something that was supposed to be "vegetarian" and then found out it had fish in it, I would be more than a little perturbed.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 02-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB305 View Post

They are what is called a hypocrite...

The hypocrite label does not fit for someone that eats fish unless they also claim to not eat fish, which these people do not claim. They just have a different definition of "vegetarian" than some of us do. Most of my vegetarian friends eat fish.
#11 Old 02-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I really don't think people mean any harm by it. It's just what's commonly in use these days. The term has become really popular and is even on a lot of informational sites now.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#12 Old 02-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatregirl View Post

I do write! I get quite vocal about it!!

Then, that's all you can do, hun. Don't worry about what you cannot fix. You do the best you can, right?
#13 Old 02-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

What is with all the lacto-ovo negativity. This is in the vegetarian SUPPORT section.

ETA Didn't want to look like a spaz. Most of the posts have been removed

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#14 Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

People who say they are vegetarian but also say eat fish annoy me but only because they say they are vegetarian. The definition is quite clear, fish isn't vegetarian. I think its great pescatarians are doing more than the average meat eater though i dont see the point in just eating fish.
#15 Old 02-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Beginner

Define flesh. Get really technical... And do it in Tim Curry's voice.
#16 Old 02-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Most of my vegetarian friends eat fish.

That's funny. Very funny. George Orwell would get a kick out of that. I'll put it right up next to "War is Peace" and "Freedom is Slavery."

The last time I checked, the term "vegetarian" wasn't that flexible.
#17 Old 02-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The hypocrite label does not fit for someone that eats fish unless they also claim to not eat fish, which these people do not claim. They just have a different definition of "vegetarian" than some of us do. Most of my vegetarian friends eat fish.

I have a different definition of "hug." It's where I bash someone in the face with my forehead while wrapping my arms around them.
#18 Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy 6-Pack View Post

I have a different definition of "hug." It's where I bash someone in the face with my forehead while wrapping my arms around them.

#19 Old 02-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

The Vegetarian Society says a vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat the three F's - Fish, Flesh and Fowl. So why is it trendy for people to call themselves vegetarian but then eat fish? I am happy with the term pescatarian, but vegetarians very clearly don't eat fish. Fish are dead.
#20 Old 02-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You are absolutely right, they do have a different definition. It's known as incorrect.
#21 Old 02-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Huh? But that's the whole point. If they eat fish then they are NOT vegetarian!
#22 Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy 6-Pack View Post

Okay? That doesn't bother me, I just don't want a hug from you.
#23 Old 02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

A person who doesn't eat meat - but still eats fish, whatever they call themselves, is still doing more than your average-joe.

On the surface. But then consider that a person who eats fish is probably responsible for more individual deaths than someone who eats beef and (possibly) poultry (more animals to produce the same amount of meat).

IMO most fish-eating "vegetarians" either do it for A) health or B) the title.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#24 Old 02-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if I'm comfortable with the definition of vegetarian or vegan. Ultimately, I suppose I don't morally align with either of those terms. There's nothing morally wrong with eating flesh or milk or eggs--nothing. It's only the killing, oppression, etc. that's morally relevant.

I just got thinking about that because theatregirl said "Fish are dead." Whatever that means.
#25 Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

On the surface. But then consider that a person who eats fish is probably responsible for more individual deaths than someone who eats beef and (possibly) poultry (more animals to produce the same amount of meat).

IMO most fish-eating "vegetarians" either do it for A) health or B) the title.

I agree that some do it for health. I don't know what you mean by "the title". I think however that a lot of pescetarians eat fish because they don't empathize as readily with them. Even though I don't eat fish, I'd rather someone eating 100lbs of fish than 100lbs of beef given that cows suffer a lot more than fish.
#26 Old 02-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

I don't know if I'm comfortable with the definition of vegetarian or vegan. Ultimately, I suppose I don't morally align with either of those terms. There's nothing morally wrong with eating flesh or milk or eggs--nothing. It's only the killing, oppression, etc. that's morally relevant.

I just got thinking about that because theatregirl said "Fish are dead." Whatever that means.

If you are not comfortable with a label, you don't have to identify yourself with it. I feel that labels limit you...I mean, if you use it to describe a general behavior to others for convenience, that's one thing, but if you define your whole existence by a definition, that's crazy. You can be who you are, and identify with what you feel without having to subscribe to a certain definition, so don't worry.
#27 Old 02-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

Ultimately, I suppose I don't morally align with either of those terms. There's nothing morally wrong with eating flesh or milk or eggs--nothing. It's only the killing, oppression, etc. that's morally relevant.

To me, in the present cultural context at least, eating another being's body is an act of objectification and thus wrong.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#28 Old 02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

#29 Old 02-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

MOD POST

I would like to remind everyone that this thread is in the Vegetarian Support Forum. Bashing vegetarians for eating dairy or eggs is not appropriate here. If you wish to discuss the "hypocrisy" of L/O Vegetarians, take it to the Vegan Support Forum.

Thank you.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#30 Old 02-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

To me, in the present cultural context at least, eating another being's body is an act of objectification and thus wrong.

I'll apologize in advance for being obtuse, but something can be "wrong" and not immoral. But if you mean to use the word "wrong" interchangeably with the word "immoral" then that essentially devalues the concept of veganism. A dead body doesn't have any intrinsic interest in, well, anything. Once you're dead you become an object, and so objectification isn't that big a deal. It's just people being sentimental. In fact, I wouldn't mind if I was eaten when I died.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page