What do vegans eat for Easter dinner? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 PM

This is my first major "holiday meal" as a vegan! Since January I have been doing really well. I never noticed how much meat is such a major part of dinner. I have been surviving wonderfully by either eating only the side dishes or making my own vegan meal. Breakfast, lunch, and snacks are a breeze. My husband has suggested lamb for Easter dinner. I can't do it! Anyway, I am rambling-what do vegans eat for Easter dinner?! If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

*I wasn't sure if this should be in the recipe or holiday forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Nut loaf.

I don't actually celebrate Easter, but nut loaf sounded appropriate. And delicious...
#3 Old 02-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been doing the same as you for years, just eating the side dishes, which are pretty yummy so it's been okay, but last year I decided I didn't want to do just that anymore. I'm going to try to order a tofurkey, or make one, for at least one holiday dinner this year. I've never tried it before, so can't tell you if they are tasty or not, but it does sound like fun and I'll bet everyone else wants a piece, too.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

Nut loaf.

I don't actually celebrate Easter, but nut loaf sounded appropriate. And delicious...

Ooh, that sounds really good too!

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#5 Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Salad.

^^Joking.

I'll be back later with more helpful answers.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 02-19-2008, 07:08 PM

I am going to look up tofurky and nut loaf recipes right now. I overplan everything! Only one month to plan this meal. My husband and four kids did truelly enjoy my pasta w/ organic spaghetti sauce and morningstar veggie crumbles. So they I know they will try to be supportive-I just don't want dinner to suck!

Thank you guys.
#7 Old 02-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried tofurkey once and it was quite good.

Growing up, the turkey was always secondary to me in a turkey dinner. My main focus was mashed potatoes, gravy and crescent rolls! . I would have a few bites of turkey, but I didn't want to take up space in my stomach for more potatoes!

So if you'd rather not try tofurkey or nut roast, just make a big meal of only side dishes
#8 Old 02-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

#9 Old 02-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Lots of vegan chocolate.
#10 Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 PM

^^ is that just carob, or is there a special product? What do other vegans have instead of their choccies over Easter?
#11 Old 02-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Beginner

I kept reading "Easter Dinner" and I was like... "Passover???" I've never heard it called "Easter Dinner" before.
#12 Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure View Post

^^ is that just carob, or is there a special product? What do other vegans have instead of their choccies over Easter?

There are plenty of vegan chocolates, including chocolate bars. Many are produced in factories that also make products containing milk. Whole Foods 365 makes vegan chocolate chips that while produced in the same factory as milk chocolate, they have their own equipment for the vegan stuff that isn't used for the milk stuff.
#13 Old 02-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

I kept reading "Easter Dinner" and I was like... "Passover???" I've never heard it called "Easter Dinner" before.

Really? I wonder why. Passover is a different holiday. Easter Dinner is the same as saying Christmas Dinner or Thanksgiving Dinner.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread was started, because me and my mom are trying to figure out what to eat for Easter Dinner, and something that my kids will also eat.
#14 Old 02-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Mmm, vegan chocolate! Way better than carob
#15 Old 02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

The nutloaf idea sounds good. Now I just need a recipe.
#16 Old 02-20-2008, 06:04 PM

Nut loaf! The baked sweet nut loaf? Or a nut roast? I am confused. I was thinking of the baked sweet nut loaf. Which is it?
#17 Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSil View Post

Nut loaf! The baked sweet nut loaf? Or a nut roast? I am confused. I was thinking of the baked sweet nut loaf. Which is it?

They probably mean nut roast. But since there is such thing as "meat loaf", people sometimes say "nut loaf" to indicate the vegan version of meat loaf, and not a nutty sweet loaf of bread. I can see how there is a certain ambiguity in the term "nut loaf".
#18 Old 02-20-2008, 06:28 PM

Nut roll. That's what I was thinking. I need to look up a recipe for that. That is an Easter classic! Yummm.
#19 Old 02-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

Lots of vegan chocolate.

It's called the "Last Supper" for a reason.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#20 Old 02-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I like this one:

Nut Roast

3 Tbsp of vegan margarine (I know that's a lot but it keeps the loaf moist)

2 sticks of celery, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 medium leek or 1/2 a mild onion, finely chopped

1 cup finely chopped mushrooms

1 and a half cups of hot water

1 teaspoon of yeast extract (marmite, vegemite etc.) or soysauce

3 cups/16oz of cashew nuts (or other nuts of your choice - almonds work well too, sometimes I use a combo of sunflower seeds, almonds and cashews) very finely chopped (but not ground completely to powder) in food processor

2 Tablespoons of soy flour, chickpea or whole wheat flour

2 teaspoons of herbs, your choice: I use crumbled sage, parsley, oregano and a bit of rosemary

3 cups bread crumbs

salt and pepper to taste

sage and onion stuffing

Melt the margarine (in a large pan for mixing) and cook the celery, garlic, mushroom and leek in it for a few minutes.

Mix the yeast extract into the hot water (alternatively you could use any stock you like) and add this to the leek and celery.

Stir in the flour, ground nuts, herbs, breadcrumbs and salt and pepper and mix well. Should be about like moist, dense "turkey dressing" or "stuffing".

Allow to cool slightly while you grease a loaf tin. Pack well in two bread pans or any casserole dish that it will fit. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes at 180/360 then turn out of the tin and slice. It slices better when cool. Nice served with all the traditional Holiday trimmings, especially some good mushroom gravy.
#21 Old 02-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Well... I guess this is a silly question but what do non-vegans eat for Easter dinner? If I remember correctly we had something awful like lamb, but had lots of other things like potatoes, some kind of casserole, asparagus or green beans, bread, big green salad and wine. So if I were invited to an Easter dinner I'd check the sides out but I'd make an awesome nut loaf, or a yummy casserole.
#22 Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator

We don't really have a formal Easter dinner but for most holidays I have Tofurky and the usual sides.

I think it's a good idea to at least offer to bring your own main dish, that way you're not imposing on the host/hostess.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#23 Old 02-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Well... I guess this is a silly question but what do non-vegans eat for Easter dinner? If I remember correctly we had something awful like lamb, but had lots of other things like potatoes, some kind of casserole, asparagus or green beans, bread, big green salad and wine. So if I were invited to an Easter dinner I'd check the sides out but I'd make an awesome nut loaf, or a yummy casserole.

Often, ham. Lamb is more of a Passover thing, at least in the circles in which I ran. Ham was preferred, and few people knew the origins of insisting on ham for Easter. It's because long ago Jewish converts to Christianity had to "prove" they weren't following kosher dietary laws anymore by eating pork, especially on major Christian holidays.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#24 Old 02-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Often, ham. Lamb is more of a Passover thing, at least in the circles in which I ran. Ham was preferred, and few people knew the origins of insisting on ham for Easter. It's because long ago Jewish converts to Christianity had to "prove" they weren't following kosher dietary laws anymore by eating pork, especially on major Christian holidays.

Interesting... thank you. I didn't know the history

So that's it? It's just a big Ham-Fest? I'm just kidding, but what I mean is, are there other traditional dishes on that day? Or is it kind of a ham and other "unimportant stuff" kind of meal?
#25 Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Banned

i've never had an 'easter dinner' whatever its suposed to be... but i imagine that a vegan simnel cake and a big pile of hot cross buns cut in half and liberally spread with earth balance probably wouldn't go amiss.

this peta page has a mustard and apricot glazed 'ham' which looks interesting, too ( i spect you could use some other ham substitute if prefered.) http://www.vegcooking.com/easter05.asp
#26 Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Interesting... thank you. I didn't know the history

So that's it? It's just a big Ham-Fest? I'm just kidding, but what I mean is, are there other traditional dishes on that day? Or is it kind of a ham and other "unimportant stuff" kind of meal?

I'm guessing the traditional sides vary from place to place. Some people would probably like saurkraut, while others mashed potatoes, etc. My grandma would probably pull out some of the donuts she made on Faustnaut Day (Fat Tuesday, aka the day before Lent starts, aka Mardi Gras) and froze. It's a German tradition. Well, making donuts on Faustnaut Day is! Sometimes they get frozen if you can't give them away before they're likely to go bad. And, since it's all connected to Easter, Easter is probably the next time someone is going to remember the frozen donuts.

#27 Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool! My Husband is of German heritage and really likes some of the traditions and I enjoy surprising him with new things I've learned about those traditions. Totally off topic but are you German? That's super cool if you are and I'd love some advice about neat things to do related to German heritage and or good German food ideas I can always find recipes but I usually have no idea what they are or if they're good.
#28 Old 02-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Cool! My Husband is of German heritage and really likes some of the traditions and I enjoy surprising him with new things I've learned about those traditions. Totally off topic but are you German? That's super cool if you are and I'd love some advice about neat things to do related to German heritage and or good German food ideas I can always find recipes but I usually have no idea what they are or if they're good.

Well, I have ancestors on several sides (tracing back from grandparents) who were from Germany, yes, but I would not consider myself German by any stretch of the imagination. I'm no more German/Austrian/Swedish/Norwegian/Welsh/English/Scottish than I am Turkish. I grew up in the US as probably fourth or fifth generation, when the "immigrant" label long dropped off.

#29 Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 PM

That nut loaf recipe sounds yummy!

We typically used to have ham or turkey. I'm not sure what will happen this year, my first veggie holiday! I think the plan may be to visit relatives, but I am nervous about imposing. Although I could probably easily fill up on sides! I'd volunteer to make something, but we'd be staying with them, and there will probably be enough going on in the kitchen.
#30 Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

...I can always find recipes but I usually have no idea what they are or if they're good.

I'm German/Czech and have a pierogy recipe in the recipe section that I adapted/veganized from my Grandma. She was German and said the recipe was from her grandmother.... I think traditionally pierogies are thought of as more Russian/Ukrainian but they're German enough for me since they were from Grandma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page