omnis being stupid - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2003, 02:14 PM
Ama
Veggie Regular

So I'm sitting at lunch today in the cafeteria, minding my own business. I'm eating some sliced peppers, and no one seems to mind. That is, until a few other people come sit at our table and start interrogating me:

Girl 1: Why are you eating peppers?

Me: Um...what are you talking about?

Girl 1: Why are you eating those?

Me: Um...do you want like a scientific explanation or something?

Girl 2: She means why are you eating just peppers? *meaning without dressing or in a Mcsalad or something...heaven forbid we eat a vegetable (or fruit, technically) that hasn't been smothered in animal products*

Me: I don't know.

Girl 1: It's just weird.

Me: How is that weird?

Girl 2: Just peppers?

Me: Yeah...have you ever eaten carrot sticks?

Girl 2: But those are peppers.

Me: I know that. Have you ever had crudites?

Girls 1 and 2: What??

Girl 3: WHy are they all different colours?

Me: Um...aesthetics?

Girl 3: Don't they all taste the same?

Me: The red ones are a little sweeter, but the orange and yellow ones taste the same.

Girl 3: So why do they make them that way? *honest to God, she said "make them that way" as if all food on the planet is manufactured by Nabisco or something*

Me: Um..don't all the different coloured Skittles taste the same?

Girl 3: Yeah, but...that's candy.

That's about when I gave up. They were PEPPERS. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten so defensive...I probably wouldn't have if they weren't looking at me like I was insane. Urrrgh! I can't wait to graduate. I'm so sick of people thinking I'm crazy for every little thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2003, 02:17 PM

Maybe bring enough to share next time. I mean, they can't continue with the questioning with a mouth full of food, right?
#3 Old 10-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

You should have said, "Because I feel like it. Why do you ask stupid questions?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Agreed. I've noticed an influx in "How do I respond to this?" threads. Educating is one thing, defending is another. None of us should feel obligated to defend our choices.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#5 Old 10-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, the different skittles do taste different.
#6 Old 10-07-2003, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so glad I don't have to spend time around high schoolers. But honestly, none of my friends were that sad. You need to just laugh at them. Seriously.

I spent all of my school years listening to my peers telling me I'm weird. Have fun with it. Say in a crazy voice, "Yep, I sure am Weee-yyyiiierd!!! and glad." and make a crazy face. They won't know how to respond and just say something stupid and walk away. And believe me, not having to spend time around people who bug you about such ridiculous stuff is a good thing.

Don't defend yourself, take the offensive. Stand up to those conformist cookie cutters. You'll attract like-minded people. (Can you tell you've gotten me riled up about years past?)
#7 Old 10-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Ama - I feel for you (LoL)!

It must be incredibly frustrating; however, I think I'd probably be enjoying the Hill out of it. If they are your friends - I'd do the same to them whilst they are eating their meat products (just to turn the tables and give them a taste of their own medicine) - then they might see how their comments are perceived by someone else (or not)
#8 Old 10-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I found it was best to respond to the diet coke heads by answering them with questions.

Dumb Diet Coke head: Why are you eating THAT?

Me: Why do you ask?

Dumb Diet Coke head: Like Ewwww like that like looks so disgusting.

Me: Would you like a bite?

They would usually scatter after I would offer them a bite.

Stupid preppie a$$holes
#9 Old 10-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Diet Coke Head? I resemble that remark!

#10 Old 10-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Monkeyandbunny, I´ve offered people bites of my food when they comment on its strangeness, and they always back off. I love it!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#11 Old 10-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Today I got an apology that they hadn't thought of me when they ordered sandwiches for lunch at the meeting.

Some one did ask "don't you eat normal bread ?!" and I told that bread could have a E-number in it that can be made of pigs hair, they said "YIKES!".......
#12 Old 10-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Aww dam(n) no one got my Heather's reference. For the record, I don't think that you're dumb Christy13, I think you're pretty cool!
#13 Old 10-09-2003, 05:00 PM

LOL. Just wait to read what happened to me recently. An omni friend of mine started with a "you look thinner" comment, knowing I'm a vegetarian/vegan-wanna-be (Jesus, as if the reasons for going veg was to lose weight).

I think that he doesn't know much about food nutrition. He ended recommending me I should go to a doctor, have tests done and have my "diet" (as he puts it) controlled by a nutritionist, someone who knows how my body really works and has enough knowledge and experience to tell me what's the best for me (I guess it must be just in case I die from eating just "salads").
#14 Old 10-09-2003, 09:06 PM

I think that they are jealous of your dedication to a more compassionate lifestyle and the only way they can make themselves feel better about their indifference towards animal suffering is by making you seem unsure of yourself. Don't give in, I don't mean to not eat meat as I don't think you would, but don't let them have the upper hand. I think it gives them a false sense of justification about their eating meat.

When people are giving me a hard time, which is rare, and saying things like, "oooh but I love chicken" I just agree with them I say "so do I....[dramatic pause]... as pets though not for food". Doesn't always get a reaction, but I've knocked a few people back with it.

d7
#15 Old 10-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

oooo ive done a chicken comeback thing too but a little differently

them: i love chicken

me : really ? so do i ! arent they just the best ! I mean they are soft and cuddly and i swear they really do understand what your saying

them : what ??! like as a pet ?

me : ya of course (giving them a i cant beleive you asked that its so stupid look)

them: right...

and then they walked away

i dont think i would do that to everybody but this person i love to bug and they already knew im weird !

the look they gave me was priceless !!
#16 Old 10-10-2003, 01:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I love that, *sprout*. The more people think of "food" animals being basically no different from "pets", the closer we get!
#17 Old 10-10-2003, 01:35 AM
Veggie Regular

"Because I like them, they taste good to me" is a fine response. End of discussion I'd hope. I admit, I might of asked the same question.. only because I can't stand those kind of peppers even mixed in with other veggies. I doubt they meant to be rude on that one, but I know how it is when things keep adding up.

By the way, great join date
#18 Old 10-10-2003, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D7Turnaround View Post

I think that they are jealous of your dedication to a more compassionate lifestyle and the only way they can make themselves feel better about their indifference towards animal suffering is by making you seem unsure of yourself.

d7

I think this is so right D7!
#19 Old 10-10-2003, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliner View Post

"Because I like them, they taste good to me" is a fine response. End of discussion I'd hope.

Great answer, hehe... but, can't we make a difference if we take advantage of this and try to "educate" them? I talk to some of them who seem open enough about animal suffering and environment issues and if they show no compassion, I talk to them about a more selfish topic: their own health. I might be a newbie and may get bored of giving explanations later, but I feel better if I spread some thoughts.

If they still say that the world is going to hell anyway, then, well, I hope they go to hell too.
#20 Old 10-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Someone said to me in class like 2 weeks ago the day before our holidays "I love the taste of chicken" and I said "I didn't give up meat because it tastes bad I did it because what they do to animals in the slaughter house" and then he said "What do they do?" I was shocked that this person was so uneducated. Anyway then the teacher told me to get back to work.
#21 Old 10-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

When people tell me things like, ¨Oh, I love chicken!¨ I´ve often responded, ¨Yeah, so do I. I like going over to my friend´s house and holding one of her chickens on my lap while eating lunch.¨ (Which I have actually done, by the way.) Ironically enough, the other people who had been holding chickens before eating lunch had to put them down or be badly scratched... my chicken was the only one that held still. I suppose it might have had something to do with WHAT the others were eating?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#22 Old 10-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Banned

To be called wierd is most likely a compliement from some one who is so locked up in their own little world, afraid of different things...who was most likely never exposed to anything eles....just feel sorry for them and offer them a bite.

This is one of many reasons why i am at this board, i want to exposes my children to as many and much as I can, and in doing so I hope that they will never act like so many do when they meet some one who is different, and or does things differntly than they do.

As for us Omnis being stupid....I would rather say we were misinformed...as we cook adn steam veggies untill they are a wilted slopey mess...or buy them frozen and microwave them...smother them in butter and or cheese sauce....and say it is nutrious.....

got to love us in laughter
#23 Old 10-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post

I would rather say we were misinformed...as we cook adn steam veggies untill they are a wilted slopey mess...or buy them frozen and microwave them...smother them in butter and or cheese sauce....and say it is nutrious.....

Oh my word, I SO used to do that, too. My grandmother´s brussel sprouts were cooked into oblivioun... no wonder I still can´t stand brussel sprouts.

#24 Old 10-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

"....because I like them..."

"But there's nothing on them...no dressing...no cheese..."

"so?" Then stare at them.

If they utter anything else, walk away."

#25 Old 10-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I still buy and nuke frozen veggies, lightly salt them, and add a small dollop of Earth balance for good measure. I'm hoping that if I can ever get my act in to gear and check out the Farmer's Market on Sunday mornings, I'll buy more fresh veggies and, gulp, try to cook them on the stovetop.
#26 Old 10-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

I still buy and nuke frozen veggies, lightly salt them, and add a small dollop of Earth balance for good measure. I'm hoping that if I can ever get my act in to gear and check out the Farmer's Market on Sunday mornings, I'll buy more fresh veggies and, gulp, try to cook them on the stovetop.

What is Earth Ballance?

Be sure to get the little yellow lo acid bell tomatoes...they are like grapes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page