Anyone fallen off the wagon? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I did today. Lately, I've had a real craving for fish, but when I went out for a meal today I was going to have my usual veggie pasta meal but we couldn't find anywhere suitable as all the places were busy. So we ended up going to a fish & chip shop. I was tired after walking most of the morning and afternoon (Only had a banana from 9am - 1.45pm) and felt really rough, so I just ordered fishcake and chips. I'm disappointed, but I'm not gonna beat myself up over it because it's done now.

So I'm curious if anyone else has fallen off the wagon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad you're not letting it get you too discouraged. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and forge on!
#3 Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Beginner

yeah i've falling off. Whenever i goto dinner party's -_-'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Beginner

Every now and then I want a piece of dead chicken so much it drives me nuts.
#5 Old 01-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I fell off the wagon ONCE, a week in.

Then a fell off again, though only technically. I found out there was pig fat in the chips I half-ate. That really doesn't count, does it?
#6 Old 01-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Beginner

I've fallen off the wagon once so far but im not going to let it discourage me. You shouldn't let it discourage you either
#7 Old 01-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

I fell off the wagon ONCE, a week in.

Then a fell off again, though only technically. I found out there was pig fat in the chips I half-ate. That really doesn't count, does it?

No, You didn't know about it so it doesn't count, Everyone screws up at some point. I bought some crackers for a 'gluttony day' "cheese" dip I made from the brand I always buy from only to find out (after eating one, Of course.) That the peticular flavor I picked up contains whey. Also, I found out that a bean patty I had a couple months back which I was told was vegan contained eggs and milk, I guess they thought I meant vegetarian... I thought I wouldn't need to go into the details of what I can and cannot have being that they are usually very vegan friendly and very helpful in making sure all the ingredients are vegan.

I also found out that some cheap veggie sushi my Mother had bought me last week the rice was held together with geletin... Luckily my Grandmother never turns down anything with avocado.

So, Yeah. I've screwed up quite a bit in the past. I'll screw up again in the future. It's not about being the perfect vegetarian/vegan it's about being the best you can be. After all, Perfection will never be an obtainable goal.
#8 Old 01-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I rare occasions I have eaten seafood that the cats refused to eat. Not a whole bowl or anything, but I figure over 10 years of vegetarianism, no one can judge me for that. (Well, some can and will but *&&& 'em.)

The thing is, it is never is as tasty as I thought it would be and I always regret it. So it is a very rare occurrence now.

OTH those Red Lobster shrimp and fish special commercials are torture. Seafood is the only thing I ever think about as tasty.
#9 Old 01-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Seriously? Cat food?

Well, Wayne, it looks as though you are in good company. Apparently many are tempted and give in to the cravings and eat sea/water creatures.

Only you know what you really want. If you want to be veg*n, do it! If not, don't!

There are a number of ways to indulge cravings, lots of "fishy" tasting foods etc. Let me know if you want alternatives.

As far as the original question goes, I haven't ever done that.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#10 Old 01-19-2008, 05:55 PM

I became a vegetarian 10 years ago, but I fell off about 5 years ago, when I started eating shrimps. The falling off lasted only a few months, though. The funny thing is that I didn't fall off because I was craving shrimps. Actually I was never crazy for them. I ate them for a while because my partner (not a vegetarian) loves them and he was complaining that since there aren't so many things that both of us can eat together, I could at least try to eat some shell food, which in his mind is not a very evolved form of life. As he is the one with real chef skills (while I am a complete disaster in the kitchen) and does almost all of the cooking, I tried to be accommodating and gave in. After about 5 months, however, I told him I couldn't eat them anymore.
#11 Old 01-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I've not fallen yet, thank God! But I understand you, it can be hard to settle the cravings
#12 Old 01-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah. Really good Maytag blue cheese salad dressing from a certain restaurant... twice... about once every year-and-a-half. It's still as good as I remember. Sorry. I keep saying I will never go to that restaurant again but...eh...
#13 Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't fallen off the wagon but I found that when I crave fish or shrimp I can just use celery or something and dip it in either tartar sauce or cocktail sauce to satisfy my craving...works marvelously (for me) but I ALWAYS had cocktail or tartar with my fish and / or shrimp so I think that I associate that taste with those sea creatures.
#14 Old 01-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular

It's weird you should say that Nickle, as one time on here I saw someone say that sometimes, when you are craving a certain thing it is usually all the accompanying items that you are craving. I tried it a few weeks ago, as I was really craving hotdogs. I started out with some soy sausage with onions and ketchup in a roll, but to be truthful the sausage just didn't cut it and I didn't even like the taste! In the end I chucked the sausage and just ate the roll with the onions and ketchup, and was REALLY satisfied after it! Weird...

Cyr.
#15 Old 01-20-2008, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

It's only been a few months for me...but so far, I've been doing great!!!

I get strong cravings for burgers and sausage biscuits, but only when I'm REALLY HUNGRY. Once I eat something...anything...the craving goes away.

But, I think one day, just to see if it still tastes the same, I may sit down to a Fast Food Poison-Burger. I've read that others went a year or two not eating any meat, eggs, or dairy, then sat down to a burger and it tasted gross, slimy, flavorless, and like it was filled with garbage. It even made some people very ill. <--perhaps if I have that experience, these annoying craving will stop because I'll be reminded to the greasy garbage-tasting blob that made me sick.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#16 Old 01-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrillia View Post

It's weird you should say that Nickle, as one time on here I saw someone say that sometimes, when you are craving a certain thing it is usually all the accompanying items that you are craving. I tried it a few weeks ago, as I was really craving hotdogs. I started out with some soy sausage with onions and ketchup in a roll, but to be truthful the sausage just didn't cut it and I didn't even like the taste! In the end I chucked the sausage and just ate the roll with the onions and ketchup, and was REALLY satisfied after it! Weird...

Cyr.

I don't find it weird...because it's the same for me!

It's not the hotdog or hamburger I want, but everything else I normally put on it. So that's when I toast myself a bun, throw on some grilled onions, pickles, mushrooms ketchup/vegannaise/mustard and go to town!
#17 Old 01-20-2008, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Once in the very beginning (about two days into being vegan, I had been a vegetarian for about two or three weeks).

My mother can be very emotional (controlling and manipulative) sometimes... She cried when she realized I was not drinking milk, so I had some on my cereal to make her happy. That was the first and last time I did that.

She actually would not let me buy an alternative milk, so I just had dry cereal in the morning for two weeks. After that, I managed to make almond milk (believe it or not, she would not let me... she still thought I was drinking cow milk), but that only lasted a few days. Then, my dog seriously injured himself (broke his spine) and was going to be in recovery at the vets office for months and months... The day after we found this out, we went to Wal-Mart to buy him some toys, and I asked her again if I could buy soy milk... Everything was too much for her at the moment, so she just said yes.

I know I kind of used a bad situation to my advantage... but I don't regret it.

(if you are wondering, my lovely puppy did not make it... He ended up re-injuring his spine and had to be euthanized... I was right there when they put him to sleep, and it was something I can never forget. I swear he screamed... They tried to tell me it was a natural response, but I know it wasn't.)

Other than that, I have not fallen off. I have occasionally craved sea food (I've always loved sea food...), but I just deal with it and move on.
#18 Old 01-20-2008, 04:56 AM
Beginner

Not yet. However over a period of time I dare say it will happen. We are humans and we make errors.
#19 Old 01-20-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_D View Post

So I'm curious if anyone else has fallen off the wagon?

Yep.

When I went vegetarian in March I endured a month of being screamed at by my sister so just to shut her up I agreed to eat fish and chicken. (My sister insists on cooking when she's at home and I'm not allowed to cook my own meals. My sister has to be in control of everything and for an easy life Mum lets her.) Then in July I went camping with my mother and she refused to let me cook separate meals for myself so I ate meat with her.

However, the stiles and gates that we crossed while walking on holiday had things like "Save the Seas, go veggie!" on them, (coast path walking) so Mum listen to me then and promised me that she would tell my sister to stop shouting at me.

So, when we got home, Mum told my sister to stop harassing me about wanting to be vegetarian and after a lot of screaming, shouting, slamming doors etc. etc. she did.

So, yes, I did fall off the wagon at the start for an easy life but I am determined to never again let my sister do it again to me.
#20 Old 01-20-2008, 06:19 AM

It's okay if it happens because you're still getting used to things. I think it's important to not let one mistake discourage you and who knows you may fall off the wagon again. Just get back on there and always remember that each effort you make counts. I keep faux meats on hand for those type of cravings. I was never a big ground beef, steak, turkey, fish or seafood fan. But fried chicken and buffalo chicken were both my weakness. So I always keep the boca spicy buffalo wings and their chik'n patties on hand in case of emergencies. =) The best thing you can do is always give yourself a good variety in general when it comes to what you eat- that way you'll never feel deprived! And if I know I'm going to a place where they'll be lots of food (and hardly any vegetarian options) I just pack my own lunch/ dinner. When people see my stuff they actually compliment me on how healthy I choose to be. I used to always feel le t out at religious potlucks, dinner meetings, etc. But then I eventually realized that if they really don't care about the fact that I'm a veggie, I can't just starve myself because it only makes me grumpy and looks bad to others. I never wanna give the impression that being a vegetarian is a hard lifestyle because it's not.
#21 Old 01-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't purposefully eaten meat as of now. I was once served beans that had bacon in them that I did not see until I was about halfway done. I was only about 2 weeks in, so I cried. Very embarrassing.

I have "fallen off" in terms of gelatin and the like, though. I ate kosher gelatin when it was a choice of "eat the yogurt or starve" as well as when my lower-schoolers at the school I volunteer at would have been devastated if I didn't have a s'more... Also, for thanksgiving, my mother made the cornbread dressing *special* for me, gluten-free, and it had chicken broth in it. She had gone so out of her way for me and I didn't want to ruin things by not eating it. I'm only fifteen so I cut myself a little bit of slack for these incidents even if some say I probably shouldn't. I just try to make it never happen again as much as I can.
#22 Old 01-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Meat no. Dairy yes, once. It was pointless and I felt terribly guilty. I won't purposely do it again.

I've accidentally had some slip ups with dairy too but that's just made me much more careful.
#23 Old 01-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Oh yeah. Really good Maytag blue cheese salad dressing from a certain restaurant... twice... about once every year-and-a-half. It's still as good as I remember. Sorry. I keep saying I will never go to that restaurant again but...eh...

I have been trying to make something that is blue cheesey and vegan (even using "stinky" tofu) and I haven't quite perfected it as of yet. I'm working on it though!

If only there were a vegan goat cheese equivalent!!!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#24 Old 01-20-2008, 08:57 AM

Just yesterday I was making corn muffins for my family for breakfast - I put 2 boxes together, one Jiffy and one other yellow box...so I just took a glance at the ingredients out of curiosity and Jiffy cornbread mix contains LARD. I had a muffin anyway. I won't again. The other box had vegetable shortening...why does beef fat have to be in cornbread mix? I'll be making mine from scratch from now on, thankyouverymuch.
#25 Old 01-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aijarama View Post

why does beef fat have to be in cornbread mix?

Because it's cheap and traditional, I would think. It's easy to make them without, thank goodness!

#26 Old 01-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aijarama View Post

Just yesterday I was making corn muffins for my family for breakfast - I put 2 boxes together, one Jiffy and one other yellow box...so I just took a glance at the ingredients out of curiosity and Jiffy cornbread mix contains LARD. I had a muffin anyway. I won't again. The other box had vegetable shortening...why does beef fat have to be in cornbread mix? I'll be making mine from scratch from now on, thankyouverymuch.

I learned that on Thanksgiving one year. I was making the cornbread and just happened to glance at the box and I was like "AWW CRAP!" Didn't eat it. It's really REALLY easy to make cornbread from scratch, and tastier too

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#27 Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I must make vegan cheezy chipotle and jalapeño cornbread, right now!

#28 Old 01-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Blue Cheese dressing is something I've loved since I was a toddler, believe it or not.

Although not vegan, it is on my no-no list and I'd like a great alternative myself.

As for eating "cat" food. Well, in one case I gave my cat a small can of tuna. She wouldn't eat it and I was hungry and I was going to throw it away. I had some, but it wasn't really that good and the texture was gross. In the other case, it was shrimp from some shrimp fried rice someone had left in a bowl. The cats wouldn't eat them, so I ate a couple, but they were gross, too.
#29 Old 01-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay. I understand now.

#30 Old 01-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I have been trying to make something that is blue cheesey and vegan (even using "stinky" tofu) and I haven't quite perfected it as of yet. I'm working on it though!

If only there were a vegan goat cheese equivalent!!!

I can almost get that "blue-cheese" taste from some types of stinky tofu. Just not quite. I know, I keep experimenting too! And Scheese makes a blue cheese thats getting close taste-wise but the texture doesn't cut it.

Oh geez, goat cheese though? You're right. Fortunately it is pretty difficult to find around here even if I was looking for it, so it isn't as much of a temptation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page