Double Standards for Animals. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Banned

urgh... i'm just watching Martha Stewart (seriously, there is nothing else on tv in Canada), and they've just done a piece on a horse sancturary, talking about cruelty to horses, use of them to make HRT products, their slaughter and use for exported meat for those asians and europeans who (shock horror) eat horse meat- (cos of course, we don't eat horses in the states, says martha). they went on to encourage lobbying the US government to pass a new law to end horse slaughter, apart from for humane reasons.

so what are they doing now, 10 minutes later?

making lamb sandwiches, while talking enthusiastically about how much meat they like on them, and how good it tastes.

when are people gonna get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it comes down to some animals being cute and others not so much. Many species of snakes and sharks are having problems today, but environmentalists tend to focus on the polar bear. I think a lot of people are like that.
#3 Old 01-16-2008, 10:06 AM

They call it survival of the cutest.

I've personally never seen why people campaign against eating dogs. Just dogs, I mean. I think if animals are fit for eating animals are fit for eating Sure campaign for better conditions for dogs raised for meat but claiming that dogs are above being food is hypocritical. Unless of course you are against eating all animals.

Incidentally when I was staying with school in a hostel on the continent our group was fed horse (before I was veggie) one of the girls wanted to look for a McDonalds in the town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

But lambs are cute

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#5 Old 01-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlack View Post

I've personally never seen why people campaign against eating dogs. Just dogs, I mean. I think if animals are fit for eating animals are fit for eating Sure campaign for better conditions for dogs raised for meat but claiming that dogs are above being food is hypocritical. Unless of course you are against eating all animals.

Incidentally when I was staying with school in a hostel on the continent our group was fed horse (before I was veggie) one of the girls wanted to look for a McDonalds in the town.

I asked the same question of someone on another forum. He was saying how it's wrong to keep dogs in those conditions, kill them and eat them. I told him that in Britain we do the same thing but with chickens. This was his response:

"aahh...now thats not Dogs. I see nothing wrong with eating chickens and everything wrong with eating a Dog, Cat, or Horse.

That some animals are companion animals and not prey animals is set in stone with me, not for negotiation."

And yes, as you can tell, he calls himself an "animal lover."
#6 Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yup...thats it. I have a horse, so am so against horse slaughter also, but I don't think its right to be against the slaughter of one animal, and not another. I find Martha Stewart to be a bit of an idiot anyways, so I'm really not surprised at this.

These people are hypocritical...so I tend to ignore them. You can't make people agree with you. Everyone has their own opinions, and its impossible to change them.
#7 Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

yeah, these is such a weird mentality about 'what animal is for what purpose'. supposedly, from what i've gathered, its percieved that:

-horses are for riding about on (for rounding up cows, hunting foxes, playing polo, or for other enterainment purposes)- and therefore not for eating (unless you're a barbarian),

-dogs are for rounding up smaller farm animals (sheep, geese, etc) or for catching other animals with (birds, rabbits) or for fighting for sport (therefore not for eating, unless you're a barbarian) or for petting,

-rabbits are for cuddling- maybe eating if you're foreign or live in the country,

-guinea pigs are definately not for eating, despite being relatively similar to rabbits,

-cats are for petting, (or eating if you're a barbarian),

-rats are either for petting if you're slightly out-there, or shrieking at if you're not,

-whether or not fish are for eating depends on how pretty and colourful or entertaining they are, and the heat of the water they live in,

-birds are for eating unless they're too small, and deemed to be pretty and make a nice sound, in which case you can put them in a cage and listen to them cheep and watch them hop up and down,

-if any other country eats different animals to yours, they're all completely mental, and/or cruel barbarians,

.....and so on.

its really ludicous.
#8 Old 01-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenstar View Post

I asked the same question of someone on another forum. He was saying how it's wrong to keep dogs in those conditions, kill them and eat them. I told him that in Britain we do the same thing but with chickens. This was his response:

"aahh...now thats not Dogs. I see nothing wrong with eating chickens and everything wrong with eating a Dog, Cat, or Horse.

That some animals are companion animals and not prey animals is set in stone with me, not for negotiation."

And yes, as you can tell, he calls himself an "animal lover."

I've very much agreed with what's been posted so far so I won't reiterate. I just wanted to add as an aside, chickens can make wonderful companion animals, much like a dog or a cat. I have no idea about sheep from personal experience, but I have known people who keep cows, pigs and chickens on their farm as their companion animals and don't use them for milk/eggs/etc. They've got personalities and loyalties just like dogs and cats do so I always find it strange when this argument is put forth.
#9 Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post

I've very much agreed with what's been posted so far so I won't reiterate. I just wanted to add as an aside, chickens can make wonderful companion animals, much like a dog or a cat. I have no idea about sheep from personal experience, but I have known people who keep cows, pigs and chickens on their farm as their companion animals and don't use them for milk/eggs/etc. They've got personalities and loyalties just like dogs and cats do so I always find it strange when this argument is put forth.

I know.

That's why I wrote this in reply:

"On another note...

Just a question. One of my friends has chickens and ducks as pets. They're rescues from a small local farm (the farmers give away ill or injured birds to rescues rather than killing them.) They all have names and will come to them, a number of them like been petted and 3 of them absolutely adore playing with a ball around the garden.

Would it be right to eat them? They were going to be (eventually) eaten, now they're not. When they die they're buried alongside my friend's old dog and where their horses ashes are also buried."

Here's his reply:

"Serenstar

I wouldn't eat the Blackbirds that nest over my door each year....some people would, we obviously have a grey area."

#10 Old 01-16-2008, 01:11 PM

It all comes to anthropomorphization. When in a certain culture an animal is perceived as almost human, then there is a strong taboo about considering it as a source of food. In the US most people are not comfortable eating rabbit because it is considered a pet. In many other countries (including mine, Italy) rabbits are not so common as pets, and therefore they are a staple of local cuisine.

As a child, I had a goat as a pet. She lived indoor, was housebroken (it took a long time, but finally she got the message) and I even walked her on the leash. Inside the car, she would often try to stick her face outside the window, just as dogs like to do. It was quite a show. Before that goat became part of my family, my family would eat goat meat. After that, my mother refused to cook goat anymore. (Unfortunately she has not extended the same treatment and courtesy to all the other animals)
#11 Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 PM

My guinea pigs are responsible for me and my partner turning veg*n, the hypocrisy of not wanting to hear about guinea pigs being eaten in other countries when I ate animals just as capable of feeling and (in many cases even more) capable of reasoning finally hit home. I had always felt guilty about eating meat and now I had these little faces watching me as I did so.

A guinea pig forum I'm a member of also has a vegetarian board but still the vast majority of members are non-veg*n. Denial and disassociation are powerful things :/
#12 Old 01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Beginner

I just wrote this to Martha Stewart. Here's a link to the show summary in case others want to write:

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...005b09a00aRCRD

(Sorry that's so long.)
#13 Old 01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Banned

denise1021, what did your email say? *curious*
#14 Old 01-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

It makes me sad when someone is talking about animal rights with a mouth full of hamburger.
#15 Old 01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Jen, I don't have it anymore, but it went something like this:

Thank you for the segment you aired about horses. I'm disappointed, though, that while you care about them, you don't care about other animals like lambs, cows and pigs -- for on this same show you illustrated how to make a lamb sandwich and highlighted a farm that sells pork and milk. Vegetarianism (or especially veganism) is a healthful, compassionate way to live that helps all animals -- including humans.

^^Not perfect, but I tried.
#16 Old 01-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned

nice one
#17 Old 01-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Just another reason I DO NOT understand Omnivores!!!!! I have a cat, and I love her so much, she is totally my companion and friend. Why shouldn't I extend that treatment and kindness to all animals? Why does a pig (by the way, i think pigs are cute) or lamb (also cute) or cow (so sweet, harmless, and adorable) not deserve my love?

Where do some people get off thinking that just because an animal is not their idea of cute (and therefore worthwhile) they deserve to die? By this logic, shouldn't we just slaughter all the ugly people?
#18 Old 01-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

My favorite was a "teaser" I saw for a local news broadcast when I was in college...

"A (TOWN) no-kill shelter is closing down (in newscaster-sad voice) But what will happen to the animals?" (Closeup of a wide-eyed cat in a cage.)

AND THEN I SWEAR TO GOD RIGHT AFTER THIS CLIP---

"And- it's the first day of hunting season! We'll tell you the best spots to bag your buck!" (Closeup of a dead deer's head as he is dragged along the ground by his antlers).

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#19 Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

when are people gonna get it?

My first thought was, "Probably never".
#20 Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

i dunno.... if even i managed to get it, you'd have to think there is some degree of hope for everyone else, lol.
#21 Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

Just another reason I DO NOT understand Omnivores!!!!! I have a cat, and I love her so much, she is totally my companion and friend. Why shouldn't I extend that treatment and kindness to all animals? Why does a pig (by the way, i think pigs are cute) or lamb (also cute) or cow (so sweet, harmless, and adorable) not deserve my love?

Where do some people get off thinking that just because an animal is not their idea of cute (and therefore worthwhile) they deserve to die? By this logic, shouldn't we just slaughter all the ugly people?

That's why veganism is one of the only ways to show true compassion to animals. Using animals for their flesh (directly or via the dairy and egg industry) and secretions is so cruel.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#22 Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

My favorite was a "teaser" I saw for a local news broadcast when I was in college...

"A (TOWN) no-kill shelter is closing down (in newscaster-sad voice) But what will happen to the animals?" (Closeup of a wide-eyed cat in a cage.)

AND THEN I SWEAR TO GOD RIGHT AFTER THIS CLIP---

"And- it's the first day of hunting season! We'll tell you the best spots to bag your buck!" (Closeup of a dead deer's head as he is dragged along the ground by his antlers).

Something similar happened here a couple months ago. A no-kill shelter closed and people were worried about the animals. The front page of the newspaper had a story about it. The next to last page was filled with dozens of proud hunters displaying their kills.

I'd bash them for their ignorance and their obvious disconnect....well, except that I was ignorant and disconnected for too long.
#23 Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 PM

there ya go... you hit the nail on the head: perceived value. people don't regard animals having value in and of themselves - only for whatever relationship or use they have for us. the first mistake in thinking is to even put a dollar value on any animal. it gives people the impression that they can "own" another living being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

yeah, these is such a weird mentality about 'what animal is for what purpose'. supposedly, from what i've gathered, its percieved that:

-horses are for riding about on (for rounding up cows, hunting foxes, playing polo, or for other enterainment purposes)- and therefore not for eating (unless you're a barbarian),

-dogs are for rounding up smaller farm animals (sheep, geese, etc) or for catching other animals with (birds, rabbits) or for fighting for sport (therefore not for eating, unless you're a barbarian) or for petting,

-rabbits are for cuddling- maybe eating if you're foreign or live in the country,

-guinea pigs are definately not for eating, despite being relatively similar to rabbits,

-cats are for petting, (or eating if you're a barbarian),

-rats are either for petting if you're slightly out-there, or shrieking at if you're not,

-whether or not fish are for eating depends on how pretty and colourful or entertaining they are, and the heat of the water they live in,

-birds are for eating unless they're too small, and deemed to be pretty and make a nice sound, in which case you can put them in a cage and listen to them cheep and watch them hop up and down,

-if any other country eats different animals to yours, they're all completely mental, and/or cruel barbarians,

.....and so on.

its really ludicous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page