Double Standards for Animals. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,551
urgh... i'm just watching Martha Stewart (seriously, there is nothing else on tv in Canada), and they've just done a piece on a horse sancturary, talking about cruelty to horses, use of them to make HRT products, their slaughter and use for exported meat for those asians and europeans who (shock horror) eat horse meat- (cos of course, we don't eat horses in the states, says martha). they went on to encourage lobbying the US government to pass a new law to end horse slaughter, apart from for humane reasons.



so what are they doing now, 10 minutes later?



making lamb sandwiches, while talking enthusiastically about how much meat they like on them, and how good it tastes.







when are people gonna get it?
jeneticallymodified is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rainforests1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,204
I think it comes down to some animals being cute and others not so much. Many species of snakes and sharks are having problems today, but environmentalists tend to focus on the polar bear. I think a lot of people are like that.
rainforests1 is offline  
#3 Old 01-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Newbie
 
TBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12
They call it survival of the cutest.



I've personally never seen why people campaign against eating dogs. Just dogs, I mean. I think if animals are fit for eating animals are fit for eating Sure campaign for better conditions for dogs raised for meat but claiming that dogs are above being food is hypocritical. Unless of course you are against eating all animals.



Incidentally when I was staying with school in a hostel on the continent our group was fed horse (before I was veggie) one of the girls wanted to look for a McDonalds in the town.
TBlack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 01-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular
 
vigilant20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
But lambs are cute


Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

vigilant20 is offline  
#5 Old 01-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlack View Post

They call it survival of the cutest.



I've personally never seen why people campaign against eating dogs. Just dogs, I mean. I think if animals are fit for eating animals are fit for eating Sure campaign for better conditions for dogs raised for meat but claiming that dogs are above being food is hypocritical. Unless of course you are against eating all animals.



Incidentally when I was staying with school in a hostel on the continent our group was fed horse (before I was veggie) one of the girls wanted to look for a McDonalds in the town.



I asked the same question of someone on another forum. He was saying how it's wrong to keep dogs in those conditions, kill them and eat them. I told him that in Britain we do the same thing but with chickens. This was his response:

"aahh...now thats not Dogs. I see nothing wrong with eating chickens and everything wrong with eating a Dog, Cat, or Horse.

That some animals are companion animals and not prey animals is set in stone with me, not for negotiation."







And yes, as you can tell, he calls himself an "animal lover."
GhostUser is offline  
#6 Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Ilurvebroccoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 432
Quote:
They call it survival of the cutest.



Yup...thats it. I have a horse, so am so against horse slaughter also, but I don't think its right to be against the slaughter of one animal, and not another. I find Martha Stewart to be a bit of an idiot anyways, so I'm really not surprised at this.



These people are hypocritical...so I tend to ignore them. You can't make people agree with you. Everyone has their own opinions, and its impossible to change them.
Ilurvebroccoli is offline  
#7 Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,551
yeah, these is such a weird mentality about 'what animal is for what purpose'. supposedly, from what i've gathered, its percieved that:



-horses are for riding about on (for rounding up cows, hunting foxes, playing polo, or for other enterainment purposes)- and therefore not for eating (unless you're a barbarian),

-dogs are for rounding up smaller farm animals (sheep, geese, etc) or for catching other animals with (birds, rabbits) or for fighting for sport (therefore not for eating, unless you're a barbarian) or for petting,

-rabbits are for cuddling- maybe eating if you're foreign or live in the country,

-guinea pigs are definately not for eating, despite being relatively similar to rabbits,

-cats are for petting, (or eating if you're a barbarian),

-rats are either for petting if you're slightly out-there, or shrieking at if you're not,

-whether or not fish are for eating depends on how pretty and colourful or entertaining they are, and the heat of the water they live in,

-birds are for eating unless they're too small, and deemed to be pretty and make a nice sound, in which case you can put them in a cage and listen to them cheep and watch them hop up and down,

-if any other country eats different animals to yours, they're all completely mental, and/or cruel barbarians,



.....and so on.



its really ludicous.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#8 Old 01-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Beginner
 
emkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenstar View Post

I asked the same question of someone on another forum. He was saying how it's wrong to keep dogs in those conditions, kill them and eat them. I told him that in Britain we do the same thing but with chickens. This was his response:

"aahh...now thats not Dogs. I see nothing wrong with eating chickens and everything wrong with eating a Dog, Cat, or Horse.

That some animals are companion animals and not prey animals is set in stone with me, not for negotiation."







And yes, as you can tell, he calls himself an "animal lover."



I've very much agreed with what's been posted so far so I won't reiterate. I just wanted to add as an aside, chickens can make wonderful companion animals, much like a dog or a cat. I have no idea about sheep from personal experience, but I have known people who keep cows, pigs and chickens on their farm as their companion animals and don't use them for milk/eggs/etc. They've got personalities and loyalties just like dogs and cats do so I always find it strange when this argument is put forth.
emkay is offline  
#9 Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post

I've very much agreed with what's been posted so far so I won't reiterate. I just wanted to add as an aside, chickens can make wonderful companion animals, much like a dog or a cat. I have no idea about sheep from personal experience, but I have known people who keep cows, pigs and chickens on their farm as their companion animals and don't use them for milk/eggs/etc. They've got personalities and loyalties just like dogs and cats do so I always find it strange when this argument is put forth.



I know.



That's why I wrote this in reply:

"On another note...

Just a question. One of my friends has chickens and ducks as pets. They're rescues from a small local farm (the farmers give away ill or injured birds to rescues rather than killing them.) They all have names and will come to them, a number of them like been petted and 3 of them absolutely adore playing with a ball around the garden.

Would it be right to eat them? They were going to be (eventually) eaten, now they're not. When they die they're buried alongside my friend's old dog and where their horses ashes are also buried."



Here's his reply:

"Serenstar

I wouldn't eat the Blackbirds that nest over my door each year....some people would, we obviously have a grey area."



GhostUser is offline  
#10 Old 01-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Newbie
 
TuscanyNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 97
It all comes to anthropomorphization. When in a certain culture an animal is perceived as almost human, then there is a strong taboo about considering it as a source of food. In the US most people are not comfortable eating rabbit because it is considered a pet. In many other countries (including mine, Italy) rabbits are not so common as pets, and therefore they are a staple of local cuisine.

As a child, I had a goat as a pet. She lived indoor, was housebroken (it took a long time, but finally she got the message) and I even walked her on the leash. Inside the car, she would often try to stick her face outside the window, just as dogs like to do. It was quite a show. Before that goat became part of my family, my family would eat goat meat. After that, my mother refused to cook goat anymore. (Unfortunately she has not extended the same treatment and courtesy to all the other animals)
TuscanyNYC is offline  
#11 Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Newbie
 
thalestral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 81
My guinea pigs are responsible for me and my partner turning veg*n, the hypocrisy of not wanting to hear about guinea pigs being eaten in other countries when I ate animals just as capable of feeling and (in many cases even more) capable of reasoning finally hit home. I had always felt guilty about eating meat and now I had these little faces watching me as I did so.



A guinea pig forum I'm a member of also has a vegetarian board but still the vast majority of members are non-veg*n. Denial and disassociation are powerful things :/
thalestral is offline  
#12 Old 01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Beginner
 
denise1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 161
I just wrote this to Martha Stewart. Here's a link to the show summary in case others want to write:



http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...005b09a00aRCRD



(Sorry that's so long.)
denise1021 is offline  
#13 Old 01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,551
denise1021, what did your email say? *curious*
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#14 Old 01-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rincewind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 555
It makes me sad when someone is talking about animal rights with a mouth full of hamburger.
Rincewind is offline  
#15 Old 01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Beginner
 
denise1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 161
Jen, I don't have it anymore, but it went something like this:



Thank you for the segment you aired about horses. I'm disappointed, though, that while you care about them, you don't care about other animals like lambs, cows and pigs -- for on this same show you illustrated how to make a lamb sandwich and highlighted a farm that sells pork and milk. Vegetarianism (or especially veganism) is a healthful, compassionate way to live that helps all animals -- including humans.



^^Not perfect, but I tried.
denise1021 is offline  
#16 Old 01-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,551
nice one
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#17 Old 01-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular
 
lavande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 331
Just another reason I DO NOT understand Omnivores!!!!! I have a cat, and I love her so much, she is totally my companion and friend. Why shouldn't I extend that treatment and kindness to all animals? Why does a pig (by the way, i think pigs are cute) or lamb (also cute) or cow (so sweet, harmless, and adorable) not deserve my love?

Where do some people get off thinking that just because an animal is not their idea of cute (and therefore worthwhile) they deserve to die? By this logic, shouldn't we just slaughter all the ugly people?
lavande is offline  
#18 Old 01-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,262
My favorite was a "teaser" I saw for a local news broadcast when I was in college...



"A (TOWN) no-kill shelter is closing down (in newscaster-sad voice) But what will happen to the animals?" (Closeup of a wide-eyed cat in a cage.)

AND THEN I SWEAR TO GOD RIGHT AFTER THIS CLIP---

"And- it's the first day of hunting season! We'll tell you the best spots to bag your buck!" (Closeup of a dead deer's head as he is dragged along the ground by his antlers).

slops, gloops, and gruels.
peace is offline  
#19 Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post




when are people gonna get it?



My first thought was, "Probably never".
jenna is offline  
#20 Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,551
i dunno.... if even i managed to get it, you'd have to think there is some degree of hope for everyone else, lol.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#21 Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

Just another reason I DO NOT understand Omnivores!!!!! I have a cat, and I love her so much, she is totally my companion and friend. Why shouldn't I extend that treatment and kindness to all animals? Why does a pig (by the way, i think pigs are cute) or lamb (also cute) or cow (so sweet, harmless, and adorable) not deserve my love?

Where do some people get off thinking that just because an animal is not their idea of cute (and therefore worthwhile) they deserve to die? By this logic, shouldn't we just slaughter all the ugly people?



That's why veganism is one of the only ways to show true compassion to animals. Using animals for their flesh (directly or via the dairy and egg industry) and secretions is so cruel.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
*AHIMSA* is offline  
#22 Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kingsnorkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pennsylvania, US
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

My favorite was a "teaser" I saw for a local news broadcast when I was in college...



"A (TOWN) no-kill shelter is closing down (in newscaster-sad voice) But what will happen to the animals?" (Closeup of a wide-eyed cat in a cage.)

AND THEN I SWEAR TO GOD RIGHT AFTER THIS CLIP---

"And- it's the first day of hunting season! We'll tell you the best spots to bag your buck!" (Closeup of a dead deer's head as he is dragged along the ground by his antlers).



Something similar happened here a couple months ago. A no-kill shelter closed and people were worried about the animals. The front page of the newspaper had a story about it. The next to last page was filled with dozens of proud hunters displaying their kills.



I'd bash them for their ignorance and their obvious disconnect....well, except that I was ignorant and disconnected for too long.
kingsnorkie is offline  
#23 Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
there ya go... you hit the nail on the head: perceived value. people don't regard animals having value in and of themselves - only for whatever relationship or use they have for us. the first mistake in thinking is to even put a dollar value on any animal. it gives people the impression that they can "own" another living being.



Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

yeah, these is such a weird mentality about 'what animal is for what purpose'. supposedly, from what i've gathered, its percieved that:



-horses are for riding about on (for rounding up cows, hunting foxes, playing polo, or for other enterainment purposes)- and therefore not for eating (unless you're a barbarian),

-dogs are for rounding up smaller farm animals (sheep, geese, etc) or for catching other animals with (birds, rabbits) or for fighting for sport (therefore not for eating, unless you're a barbarian) or for petting,

-rabbits are for cuddling- maybe eating if you're foreign or live in the country,

-guinea pigs are definately not for eating, despite being relatively similar to rabbits,

-cats are for petting, (or eating if you're a barbarian),

-rats are either for petting if you're slightly out-there, or shrieking at if you're not,

-whether or not fish are for eating depends on how pretty and colourful or entertaining they are, and the heat of the water they live in,

-birds are for eating unless they're too small, and deemed to be pretty and make a nice sound, in which case you can put them in a cage and listen to them cheep and watch them hop up and down,

-if any other country eats different animals to yours, they're all completely mental, and/or cruel barbarians,



.....and so on.



its really ludicous.

GhostUser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off