Pre-cutting Vegetables & Fruits - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-30-2007, 08:28 PM

I've been wanting to add a better variety of vegetables and fruits to my everyday meals, and I was think pre-cutting them might be a good idea, only im not sure how they'll hold up. Like tomatoes and things like that. Does anyone do this? Are there certain foods that spoil quicker?

Curious VegHead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Using a ceramic or plastic knife helps them not oxidize as quickly. I like to have things ready to grab, so I'll pre-cut things for a day or so in advance.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 12-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I cut up my broccoli and cauliflower when I get them home, and eat on them all week. Carrots, celery, peppers, onions, and squash are good for a couple of days. Tomatoes are best fresh, but ok for a couple of days. Everything else I pretty much cut as I go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Beginner

This may sound weird, but if I pre-chop my veggies I put a wet paper towel in the container with them. It works really well with lettuce, and I'm sure it would work with other veggies. I have no idea why it works or how it works, but my mom told me to do it once and it works like a charm
#5 Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Pre cutting does break down some of the enzymes and vitamins in your veggies unfortunately, but I figure it's better to eat the veggie with a few less enzymes than to not eat it at all. Different foods do spoil at different rates. Use ziploc and paper bags, and your crisper to help prolong your produce's storage life. And store apples seperately, they release a lot of ethylene which helps to speed up ripening. (This is good to know if you buy lots of underripe produce though, put a few apples in a paper bag with your green tomatoes or what have you and they'll ripen much faster. The more ripe the apples that are going in the bag are, the more ethylene they'll give off. Rotten apples virtually explode with ethylene production, which is why having one bad apple in the bunch spoils the barrel.)
#6 Old 12-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't pre-cut tomatoes, because then they would need to be refrigerated and when you chill tomatoes the texture gets really weird. Otherwise, they'll dry up faster so I wouldn't cut up more than you're actually going to go through in a couple of days.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 12-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

When I pre-cut my cukes and celery I always store them in a plastic container filled with water. It keeps them fresh and the become far more crunchy!!
#8 Old 12-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

For example the apple and the avocado are most likely to last more if you add to them little squeezed lemon. Hope this helps
#9 Old 12-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I have heard that if you store your potatoes with your apples, it retards the growth of those eye-thingies.
#10 Old 12-31-2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice, I really am aiming towards a healthier veg*n lifestyle and need simply conveniences.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page