When you made the leap. . . - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Did your friends and family understand? Or give you a hard time?

Since my transition's so recent, I'm realizing I'm just going to keep it quiet for now. My husband completely understood (*surprised*) and although I'm sure he'll still be stopping by fast food joints for the occasional burger, he basically said he'd eat whatever I brought home or cooked.

HOWEVER, I told a couple of my close friends and was actually a little shocked at their responses: "Why would you do that? You know that PETA just picks out the absolute WORST of those farms and puts those images out there?"

At one point they actually tried to talk me out of it. I'm in the midst of quitting smoking too and they said I was making too many changes at once.

So I'm just curious how your "coming out" reactions went.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom and sister both went vegan with me when I took the leap, but it was for weight loss reasons not AR reasons. They are both now what I like to call flexitarians. They are vegetarian 80% of the time, then eat seafood the other 20%.

My dad was upset and so was my grandpa. They are both old rednecks and think you NEED meat to survive. My dad got over it eventually, he still teases me about it but it isn't that bad.

My husband, who was my boyfriend at the time, was very accepting. He eats mostly vegan at home, but he still eats meat when we go out or when he is in the mood.

I actually lost a very good friend when I went vegan. I haven't talked to her in years. We were both 15 at the time, and she started making fun of me, calling me names and saying I'd lost my mind. We called each other a few names, then I blocked her on AIM. She called me on the phone, and I hung up on her. We'd been friends since we were in first grade. Haven't thought about her in awhile actually.
#3 Old 12-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I was very lucky in that regard because I think I got some friendly kidding but that's about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitempleton View Post

HOWEVER, I told a couple of my close friends and was actually a little shocked at their responses: "Why would you do that? You know that PETA just picks out the absolute WORST of those farms and puts those images out there?"

Well, some people think the only reason to be vegetarian is because of factory farming. I don't want to eat any animals no matter how kindly they are treated, they would still have to die in the end.
#5 Old 12-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

I was very lucky in that regard because I think I got some friendly kidding but that's about it.

Ditto.
#6 Old 12-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I switched because I wanted to eat healthier. Most people are a lot more accepting and understanding of that. I've never had anyone react badly, and my family was thrilled that I was working so hard to improve myself.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#7 Old 12-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Give peas a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

I switched because I wanted to eat healthier. Most people are a lot more accepting and understanding of that. I've never had anyone react badly, and my family was thrilled that I was working so hard to improve myself.

Definitely.

My sister went vegan years ago for ethical reasons and had to put up with a lot. Our grandmother actually cried. I do it for health reasons, and everyone pats me on the back and gives me cookbooks.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#8 Old 12-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

No one was too shocked because I was a pescatarian for three years before, so my family and friends already knew I had some concerns about animal welfare. My husband took it the hardest but after I had done it for a few weeks, he began to see that it was working really well for me and that it wasn't adversely affecting him.
#9 Old 12-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

For me, only a few people know. My mom took it rather well, surprisingly. The only others that know were some close MSN friends (I figured it was safe to tell them, as opposed to telling someone in real life, where it could be spread quicker than butter on a road in the the middle of summer...One of the friends didn't care, more or less, one was considering going Veg*n herself, and one was already a Vegan. (Shocked here, I never knew.)
#10 Old 12-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

My family did not take it well, and six months later, nothing has changed. My mother still cries every now and then and is convinced that I'm killing myself... I guess I've sort of learned to live with it, but she still gets to me sometimes.
#11 Old 12-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't remember anyone batting an eye. I was 15 at the time, and I've never been too mainstream :P

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 12-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Everyone in my family have been really supportive. Now some friends and neighbors just kinda looked at my like I was crazy. My best friend was very supportive. The only real flack I got was at Thanksgiving and my neighbor thought I was insane for not dropping the veggie and going ahead for "one day" and eating turkey. I never really cared for turkey in the first place.

Overall, it has been a very pleasant experience for me.
#13 Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Beginner

My husband, like yours, is also an omni and was very supportive. He's tried every dish I've made (including ones that even I took a bite of and was ready to toss lol), and while he still eats meat (and like yours may cruise a fast food joint at lunch time when he thinks I don't know about it lol), he eats vegetarian at home.

The rest of my family was not necessarily unsupportive, but I found that they treated my decision as more of a 'fad' or a 'phase' than anything else. They just didn't take it seriously when I asked what was in what dish, it was almost like I was bordering on annoying to them. I also come from a large european family who cannot understand the concept of not eating meat...I will get hassle from them sometimes but as time went on they have gotten more used to it. They are still convinced I'm jeopardizing my health by not eating meat.....as some of them sit there popping cholesterol and blood pressure medication before eating their roast beef and pork chops. Oh, the irony.
#14 Old 12-16-2007, 10:01 PM

My parents took it really well, they said as long as I got all my protein and iron and what not it'd be okay. My little brother freaked out though. It's been a year now and he still thinks I'm crazy, but he understands that I feel really strongly about it.

A lot of my friends respect my decision too and are really supportive. Some of them however are really weird about it. I have one friend whose even put meat in my salad when I wasn't looking and has even tried to throw meat into my mouth. He thinks it's funny but I think he's really rude sometimes. Anyone else have friends like that?
#15 Old 12-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Mostly the reaction I got was 'mild curiosity'. The people I know realize I teach human physiology for a living; so when I got the "where do you get your protein" line it was because they wanted to know, not because they thought to trap me in a dietary flaw.

I got a little flack from one brother (not bad, out of eight siblings). When I asked him why he was giving me a hard time, he admitted he'd felt a little attacked by some of his vegetarian acquaintances and decided to take the offensive this time. I suggested we live and let live and he's been ok since. Still really baffled though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page