Does it EVER get easier? (seeing people eat meat) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been a l/o veg for a couple months. I'm slowly but surely transitioning to vegan but I have SUCH a hard time seeing people eat meat now!! I literally get choked up when I go home and watch the fam eating chicken, pork etc. I actually cried on ThanksLiving when they took the turkey out of the oven and I felt bad because my fam's been SUPER supportive of my decision and has not said one negative thing at all. I just can't help the way I feel now and I think they, sometimes, feel as though I'm trying to make them feel guilty about it. I'm truly not!! I never SAY anything but I do shed a few tears. I understand EXACTLY why they eat meat...come on it took me 24 years to make the change and I know how they look at meat. I looked at it the same way for sooo long too. It's just that now that I have become veg I can't imagine WHY it took me so long. I look at meat completely different now and I can't help but get emotional. Does this EVER change or at least become less intense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope someone says yes. I've been very limited l/o for 4 months now. With all the reading and researching I have been doing regarding my decision, it is very hard to watch others eat meat. I know this sounds really crazy, but even certain types of meat bother me more than others; watching people eat lamb and veal will kill my appetite instantly. I guess its the "innocence" of the meat combined with the fact that it is animal itself.
#3 Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

it gets easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been vegetarian for 6+ years now. It does get easier but you are forever changed when you make the connection. Suddenly you're different and you see things differently. If your family is supportive, you're lucky After all this time I still get upset, but it's easier for me to accept now. I will never totally accept it but it's easier for me to get through life if I accept people for who they are. I alos like to think of people as "potential vegans". If I'm happy, healthy and not pushy but still open to discussion maybe it will affect them positively. And it does I've seen it happen a lot.

The best thing, I think, to combat that feeling is to get more active. Write companies, petition, drop a leaflet or two, or fifty lol. It helps me feel like I'm doing more and that change is possible.
#5 Old 12-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

I've been vegetarian for 6+ years now. It does get easier but you are forever changed when you make the connection. Suddenly you're different and you see things differently. If your family is supportive, you're lucky After all this time I still get upset, but it's easier for me to accept now. I will never totally accept it but it's easier for me to get through life if I accept people for who they are. I alos like to think of people as "potential vegans". If I'm happy, healthy and not pushy but still open to discussion maybe it will affect them positively. And it does I've seen it happen a lot.

The best thing, I think, to combat that feeling is to get more active. Write companies, petition, drop a leaflet or two, or fifty lol. It helps me feel like I'm doing more and that change is possible.

ITA. It took me a few years, though, but it was most intense in the first year.
#6 Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 AM

The idea of meat isn't *that* offputting to me.

I find tuna and mayonaisse still tempting

If its disgustingly greasy and fatty looking meat then I wonder how people can consume it. SOmetimes I wonder how people can consume it after they'll agree with me its gross the way theyprocess it or something.

The repulsion factor is actually getting stornger for me though, i tihnk its just the longer I stay away from meat the less edible it seems.
#7 Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes and no. It's still hard (after 15 years) because I can't stand the smell of it and because, well, it's an animal. It's easier because I've sort of resigned myself to living in harmony with these other living creatures (the omnis) and that means letting them do their thing and just setting an example.
#8 Old 12-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

The repulsion factor is also getting stronger here too. I really don't like watching people eat it, and it's getting harder to hide the fact too. I know it will get easier, I just hope it's soon! I'm not looking forward to everyone fussing over this big turkey at Christmas as I know I'll have to bite my tongue.

Two years ago, when I was still a meat eater, we had a turkey from a guy who had his own farm. Even though I can't understand my own reasoning, at the time (as an omni) the idea of having one from him - as opposed to a factory farmed one - was much more appealing. After all, the guy only kept the number of turkeys that he knew people wanted. There could have been no more than thirty, and they were all extremely well looked after. However, when we got it my mother totally freaked out because it still had feathers on it! She said it was because the feathers were a reminder that it had been running around in a farm about two days previously, and that she just couldn't enjoy the meat. The following year it was back to the factory farmed ones for her.

I'm so glad I don't partake anymore, and now can't even believe that I thought the way I did! I'm just not looking forward to it when I know the suffering and cruelty that goes into that one meal.
#9 Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrillia View Post

The repulsion factor is also getting stronger here too. I really don't like watching people eat it, and it's getting harder to hide the fact too. I know it will get easier, I just hope it's soon! I'm not looking forward to everyone fussing over this big turkey at Christmas as I know I'll have to bite my tongue.

Two years ago, when I was still a meat eater, we had a turkey from a guy who had his own farm. Even though I can't understand my own reasoning, at the time (as an omni) the idea of having one from him - as opposed to a factory farmed one - was much more appealing. After all, the guy only kept the number of turkeys that he knew people wanted. There could have been no more than thirty, and they were all extremely well looked after. However, when we got it my mother totally freaked out because it still had feathers on it! She said it was because the feathers were a reminder that it had been running around in a farm about two days previously, and that she just couldn't enjoy the meat. The following year it was back to the factory farmed ones for her.

I'm so glad I don't partake anymore, and now can't even believe that I thought the way I did! I'm just not looking forward to it when I know the suffering and cruelty that goes into that one meal.

It's so amazing how someone can finally see their dinner for what it truly is yet go back to eating it anyhow, totally disregarding any feeling they had about what they were eating when they actually thought about it being an animal...so weird!!
#10 Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cftwo View Post

Yes and no. It's still hard (after 15 years) because I can't stand the smell of it and because, well, it's an animal. It's easier because I've sort of resigned myself to living in harmony with these other living creatures (the omnis) and that means letting them do their thing and just setting an example.

This is similar to how I feel after 5 years vegan. I don't think it's ever going to be easy, but I've had to adopt that resigned feeling as well in order to stay sane. The lightness of spirit I feel being vegan sort of counteracts my negative feelings about this omni world to some extent.
#11 Old 12-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

For me is easier... as my wife is vegan and my parents became vegan time ago too. I'm self employee so I do not need to see people eating our fellow animals...

However, my wife works for a family as nanny, and they are extremely omni... (with a terrible diet and they hate vegan stuff... it seems) and my wife gets pissed of when they attack her or when they are cooking animals (my wife hides their meat several times )

However, if I see meat... ugh... if I smell it... I get dizzy and I feel not so good...
#12 Old 12-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post

For me is easier... as my wife is vegan and my parents became vegan time ago too. I'm self employee so I do not need to see people eating our fellow animals...

However, my wife works for a family as nanny, and they are extremely omni... (with a terrible diet and they hate vegan stuff... it seems) and my wife gets pissed of when they attack her or when they are cooking animals (my wife hides their meat several times )

However, if I see meat... ugh... if I smell it... I get dizzy and I feel not so good...

Yes, I think I remember reading something you posted about this before. You said they all eat very unhealthy and the kids do too. Sometimes she's even required to prepare those unhealthy meals too riight? Ugh!! I don't know if I could do that!! However, you my sir are very lucky to not have to witness the consumption of animals by omni's!!
#13 Old 12-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

--Oliver Wendell Holmes
#14 Old 12-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

It sort of gets easier. You just get used to it.
#15 Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 PM

I know what you mean. Every time I see animal flesh of any kind and even eggs, it's like seeing pieces of a child or something, and then seeing the meat being cooked is even worse. It makes me sick to my stomach. I only know one lady who was a former vegan but eats meat now. Otherwise I don't know any vegetarians in real life- EvERYONE loves meat here. So I try really hard to respect their personal choices and I don't believe in forcing my opinions upon others, especially since some people really just aren't aware of what happens to the animals. But then there are the people who do know and consider them "service animals." Even though it's not my place to lecture someone, deep down inside I don't think I'll ever understand how some people find abusing animals humane. It just seems so contradicting when people say 'I LOVE all animals, but some animals are meant to be eaten." but like I said, they're entitled to feel whichever way they want. Whenever it gets easier for you- let me know!
#16 Old 12-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Beginner

I've been a vegetarian for just over a year and I have to say it does get easier. I would also say don't be so hard on yourself. I had a few times where I was tempted to eat meat and gave in to the temptation but I tried not to beat myself up over it and just resolved to try harder.

I get cravings -- just today I smelled hot dogs and really craved them, but I just tried to think about other things and I know the cravings will go away.

I also realized that some of my desire to eat meat wasn't about actually craving the meat but wondering how family gatherings would change or being nostalgic about never eating some of Mom's cooking again.

I really enjoyed the taste and texture of a lot of meat so giving up that was hard as well and there are textures that I can't be replicated so it's just getting used to giving it up.

I haven't gotten to the point where meat looks gross to me (unless it's raw meat, raw meat looks really gross) but I have gotten to the point where I can look at something -- say turkey at Thanksgiving and not want it.
#17 Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 PM

I definitely think it gets easier. I think one thing that changes, that is kind of a good thing, is that in the beginning it's almost as if the choice to not eat meat takes you over. You're "the girl that doesn't eat meat" but over time it just because your daily habits and you turn into "the girl who also happens to not eat meat but who cares?" lol
#18 Old 12-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Beginner

If you believe in what you are doing, it becomes easier; it becomes habit and you gain strength from supporting your beliefs. However, the one thing you do not mention is what are you doing to adapt your meals? While your family is supportive (yeah!), what are you doing about your meals? If you are eating the same old thing all the time, you are going to be bored. Explore and treat yourself to some different foods.
#19 Old 12-04-2007, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post

If you believe in what you are doing, it becomes easier; it becomes habit and you gain strength from supporting your beliefs. However, the one thing you do not mention is what are you doing to adapt your meals? While your family is supportive (yeah!), what are you doing about your meals? If you are eating the same old thing all the time, you are going to be bored. Explore and treat yourself to some different foods.

I'm sorry maybe I miswrote something. It's not the lack of consuming flesh that's hard on me. I don't miss THAT one bit...AT ALL!! In fact, it totally disgusts me. What's hard is how emotional I get when I see others eat meat. It's this newfound compassion I have for the animals they're pulling out of the oven or placing on their plate to be consumed. My meals are FABULOUS!! My meals are better than they have EVER been. I have more of a variety now and I ACTUALLY cook!! I was merely asking if it gets easier watching other people consume animal flesh. Will I be able to watch a roast being pulled out of the oven again without getting so emotional about it, is what I wanted to know. I apologize if I asked that question in a confusing manner. Peace & Love!!
#20 Old 12-04-2007, 07:15 AM

For me it's the opposite. After three years I think meat grosses me out much more than it used to. And it smells terrible.

#21 Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I think keeping busy trying new recipes and new foods has kept me too occupied to even think about it. It's hard to miss what you "can't" have when you are excited about all the things you can have.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#22 Old 12-04-2007, 07:53 AM

Watching people eat meat still upsets me (I've been vegetarian for 9 years) but of course I have learned to put up with it if I want to have some kind of social life. My partner eats meat, my friends and relatives eat meat, so I try not to look into their plates. On the other hand, seeing people wear fur still makes me very angry and confrontational. In the winter I always go out with a NO FUR button and often ask people why they wear fur. Also, I don't let anyone wearing fur in my house.
#23 Old 12-04-2007, 12:51 PM

I think it took me about 3 months to get used to being a vegetarian on a personal level. That is to say, it took me about that long to get used to the idea that if I go out to eat with people, there are going to be only one or two things on the menu that I can eat, or possibly even nothing.

I've been a vegetarian for 4 years, and I can say that it gets a lot easier if you come to terms with knowing you aren't going to change everyone you meet. Just come to peace with the fact that you family and friends are still going to eat meat, and may even think that you are a crackpot because you don't. Also, try not to get hostile with people. It never helps, and generally makes vegetarians and vegans look worse as a group; many people have a hard time separating a vegetarian from all vegetarians because of collectivist tendencies.
#24 Old 12-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, the emotional aspect does get easier over time. However, the longer I've been vegetarian (and now vegan), the less I think of animals as food, and the weirder it looks to me when I see somebody eating meat. I'm like, "oh yeah, people still eat that...weird..." I guess since my husband and kids are vegan, and because my parents almost always cook vegan for us, I just forget that people eat meat. I was reminded of it on Thanksgiving and I have to say, it totally grossed me out when I was watching my mom pick all the last bits of meat off of the carcass to store the leftovers. ick.

www.veganspoonful.com
#25 Old 12-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I'm a recent vegetarian (1 month), until now I've not crave meat, which is great!

But the problem is that my family doesn't support my decision, for some reason they think meat is the only source of protein (they are truly wrong), they are throwing barbecues so I can be tempted into eating whatever they are making (by the way, I'm not backing out on my decision)

I think that sooner or later they'll understand my reasons, and the advantages being a vegetarian can bring.

Thanks, I'm really enjoying this forum....
#26 Old 12-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

I'm sorry maybe I miswrote something. It's not the lack of consuming flesh that's hard on me. I don't miss THAT one bit...AT ALL!! In fact, it totally disgusts me. What's hard is how emotional I get when I see others eat meat. It's this newfound compassion I have for the animals they're pulling out of the oven or placing on their plate to be consumed. My meals are FABULOUS!! My meals are better than they have EVER been. I have more of a variety now and I ACTUALLY cook!! I was merely asking if it gets easier watching other people consume animal flesh. Will I be able to watch a roast being pulled out of the oven again without getting so emotional about it, is what I wanted to know. I apologize if I asked that question in a confusing manner. Peace & Love!!

In that case, it is not easy to say. I take solace in I am not responsible for the killing of animals and I am doing my part. What other people do, I can not necessarily control (unless you are in charge of the kitchen). If these are friends, suggest cooking yourself or going to veg*n dining establishments. Otherwise, suggest outings which don't involve going out to eat. If they are good friends, they will respect your wishes.
#27 Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

I think keeping busy trying new recipes and new foods has kept me too occupied to even think about it. It's hard to miss what you "can't" have when you are excited about all the things you can have.

Again, I don't miss anything!! I just wanted to know if watching other people eating meat gets easier.
#28 Old 12-07-2007, 09:16 AM

it is going to be different for everyone, the way you were brought up, your family, everything, i have been vegan/vegetarian since 8th grade and im 24 now, the one side of my family thinks it is just a lost cause, no support and super big into eating meat no veggies, that kind of thing, so it bothers me knowing that people cant be more opened minded about the whole situation and be eager to learn on the benefits that wreak from being a vegan or a vegetarian, honestly from a certain aspect it was never really hard to watch people eat meat as i tend not to focus on it and i think that would be the easiest thing to do, it is a waste of energy but if you come across people that might be into it then speak your mind and that always helps, the few times out of the year when it is very hard not to focus away is during holidays like christmas, thanksgiving, and very very hard to keep my mouth shut, you can also always count on people's laziness and do the cooking yourself and if dinner is already made, no excuse for cooking a meal from dead animals, animals saved!
#29 Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Again, I don't miss anything!! I just wanted to know if watching other people eating meat gets easier.

I think some people just read the title and not the OP before posting...
#30 Old 12-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I think some people just read the title and not the OP before posting...

Yep, I think you're right!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page