Problems staying Veggo - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM

Helloooo, all. This is my first post. Yeah. I have a question or two if that's alright? XD

Okay, so BASICALLY, my problem is, I'm lacking passion in all the right areas. I don't really have the sympathy for animals being killed unless it's one I've gotten to know. I find this hard to say, but it's very hard for me to care. Sure, I can talk a big game, but that's cheating on the inside.

Originally I became Vegetarian because someone said I couldn't do it, connected to the fact that it was supposedly a better lifestyle (which I researched, and it is). But, I want the passion there for animals, because they're being killed! I just don't have it there yet! And I don't know how to get it there, and I'm starting to doubt if I can make it to the end without passion...

I wanted to also become vegan, but that's just insane if I'm having troubles with vegetarianism. Okay, since we're all being honest here, I've gone veggo for like 2-4 weeks (I've lost track. I'd say it was 3, but my sister tells me I'm lying, so pssh, there's a vague answer for you!). I just need the... err... motivation and all that jazz...

Meat, to me, does taste better than fruits and vegetables--because I've grown up in America (yes, this is my excuse). But I wish it wouldn't. It's not like I crave meat, though... it's more the fact that everything veggo I eat is really junky (since my family doesn't eat vegetarian, and money doesn't grow off of trees), or bitter... wow.

Just... any tips would be nice. I am so unsure what to do right now.

Thanks, you're the shiz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

You can start taking a look over here:

[youtube]VIjanhKqVC4[/youtube]
#3 Old 11-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Depending on where you live, you might be able to arrange to go to a farmed animal sanctuary and meet some individual animals. I think that might really help you feel personally connected in a way that will keep you "on track". If you aren't anywhere near a place that you can meet some rescued farmed animals, try reading some stories of individual rescued animals and what their situations were before they were rescued. You don't have to be the most animal-oriented person, I think just getting some more concrete information about what animals farmed for meat, milk and eggs face in their short lives and in slaughterhouses will give you a lot to think about and will help give you some "drive" to change.

Good Luck!

Also, check out www.peacefulprairie.org for some more good info, pictures, and other resources (including a free veg starter kit mailed to your door, if you're interested with recipes and more).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

you don't have to be that passionate for the animals, you just have to realize that what you're doing is right, and be motivated in knowing that. I know what you mean by not always having the sympathy for animals unless it's one you've gotten to know. When something is as common dead farm animals, or even dead people all around the world due to war, starvation, etc, you're not going to be psychologically able to handle having sympathy for every one of them. Although i feel bad for animals that die, i forget about it when i see family or friends eating, because theres no way for me to feel bad for every single dead thing i come across. Sometimes you might feel like you lack the motivation, but it's something you get used to. just remember you're doing the right thing.

no, you're the shiz
#5 Old 11-29-2007, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought eating meat was okay...if it came from the "right sources."

But, the more I learned, not aobut animal suffering, but just the filthy nasty CONDITIONS the stuff comes from, and the incredible rate of food poisoning...and the fact that the FDA is powerless, and most people don't know/don't care. Heck, several years ago I got food poisoning from some McDonald's Chicken Nuggets that ALMOST KILLED ME!!!! Two months later, I was eating them again.

I've seen imaged of dairy cows with huge infections, standing in feces that is higher than thier udders (causing the udders to FLOAT). Egg chickens with almost now feathers, ammonia burns, infections....laying the eggs that I'm going to EAT!!!

What converted me totally: I saw a parked chicken truck, and went over to have a look...to just see if it really was a nasty as what I saw online... And, YES, it was!!! Dead birds, broken legs, eye infections, bald patches from ammonia burns ew ew ew e w ew ew e w ew

Seriously, finishing off the last bit of milk in my frdge was the nastiest stuff I've ever forced myself to swallow!!! And I LOVED milk!!! It's amazing what your mind can do.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#6 Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 AM

I know it's hard at first. Believe me, the worst is already behind you! Be assured that what you're doing is the right thing, and you really are making a difference.

What you're doing right now is both learning a new, healthier way of eating, and also breaking a strong, culturally-ingrained habit. It's OK to not want to sometimes and it's OK if you slip up once or twice. The important thing is to remember that YOU are making a positive impact on the world by continuing to be veg.

Vegetarianism not only benefits animals, but also the whole planet. Animal agriculture causes huge amounts of toxic wastes and pollution, uses up more resources than vegetable farming, and contributes to starvation in poorer countries. Every time you refuse a piece of meat, you're directly helping to save our environment and people.

And that is just as worth it as compassion for animals is.

You're doing a great thing. Stick with it! The rewards are great, I assure you.
#7 Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I think one of the things which keeps some caring people from going vegetarian is the meat habit, and the memories associated with meat. It's an American staple, and in many cases it's a comfort food. The transition can be easier if you find vegetarian versions of the foods you like so much - perhaps a veggie burger with the works (once you find the right veggie burger) satisfies your craving for a burger. What are some of your favorite dishes? Maybe someone can give you ideas to make them vegetarian without costing too much.
#8 Old 11-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

#9 Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Beginner

another thing that helps is to educate yourself. right now i'm doing a research paper on food geography/food insecurity in texas and it really is amazing--the amount of waste, pollution, cruelty and abnormalities that are inherent in our food system. not only with livestock, but also in food processing.

another thing that has helped me through the years--is to realize that it's a process. if you truly want to have passion for animals, for the environment, for ethics, you have to persist in educating and exposing yourself, as well as self-evaluation. journaling and reading really help to cultivate passion, in my case.

edited to fix bad grammar!
#10 Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 PM

I totally agree with you... that's part of the reason why I'm doing my english research paper on the meat industry this year to learn more about it and how they treat animals.
#11 Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 PM

I would suggest that you start learning some good vegetarian recipes. There are many that are not only cheap but delicious out there. Learn to cook if you don't know already!

If flavor is a problem for you, try experimenting with some more flavorful recipes from other countries. I find that western vegetarian foods tend to be sort of crappy myself, with the exception of some good soups and pasta dishes. Indian food is a personal favorite, and you can also find some good veggie Thai, Mediterranean/Middle Eastern (falafel is the best), Mexican, and Brazilian foods. If nothing else you'll expand your horizons.

If you don't have empathy for animals, that doesn't mean you can't be a vegetarian. I don't even have very much empathy for other people, not to mention animals, but that doesn't mean from an intellectual standpoint I think it is acceptable to make other people (or animals) suffer. Don't worry about passion. Passionate people are generally irrational fools who make the rest of us look bad. Just worry about living a lifestyle that makes sense.

Finally: Trust me, it WILL get easier with time.
#12 Old 12-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Beginner

I understand it is difficult...especially with the holidays coming up, like someone above said, we associate things like turkey with great memories we have of growing up.

Some people have offered some great sources, so I won't add to that. Would thinking about the people that suffer from the meat industry help at all? It's not just animals lower on the food chain that suffer from the mass consumption of animal products. Meatpacking plants continue to be the one of the most dangerous work environments in the world, and continue to be bought out by large corporations, putting millions of family farms out of business (also the ones who traditionally had better treatment practices and less hormone abuse - meaning the majority of meat on the market is pumping your own system full of chemicals, hormones and antibiotics, most of which we don't even know the lasting effects of). Further, they often pay less than minimum wage to illegal workers and force them to engage in illegal practices for profit, often ending in severe injury and even death. Not to mention the lasting impact to our environment that results from the planet's over-consumption of meat.

There is no judgement from my end...there are plenty of people out there who slip up time to time. The fact that you are even asking this question shows that you do have compassion toward animals and are trying to make a difference, and even if you are a 'most of the time' vegetarian, or even a 'some of the time' vegetarian is better than ignoring the issue altogether.

best of luck to you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page