Fortified Milk - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-28-2007, 12:47 AM

Hi!!!!!I had a question about fortified milk.All milk here in the US is fortified with either Vitamin D3 or Vitamin A. I have read that Vitamin D3 is derived from animal skin /fish skin or sheep wool .Does anyone know of any milk brand not fortified with these vitamins.There is no way of knowing what is the source of these Vitamins are as manufacturers are not required to mention these on their labels.....I even tried to mail a few of them but surprisingly did not receive any response!!!!!!! Was wondering if anyone out there has any Info. to share on this?????????

The only non fortified milk I have seen is Raw milk which is firstly not easliy available and secondly is rather pricey!!!!!!!!!

Need some help here........Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2007, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

i would suggest if you are that concerned about D3 that you try looking at choosing a soymilk like silk or westsoy/westbrae over cow milk. I am not trying to make you a convert to veganism, I am not a vegan anymore, but i drink silk. It's fortified with vegan D
#3 Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Apparently, there is such a thing as artificial D3. Tropicana Orange Juice fortified with calcium and D3 claims to be vegan, so that's the brand of OJ that I stick with. You'd have to contact the milk companies to see if their D3 is from animals or this type of thing.

But I agree with Libellula. Try some soy milk and see if you like it. I'm not vegan, and I drink soy milk constantly. Silk brand even has omega-3, which is something that some veg*ns have trouble getting enough of in their diet, so that's an added bonus.

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-28-2007, 01:25 PM

Actually D3 derived from sheep wool is labelled as synthetic by most manufacturers.Tropicana does get it's D3 from sheep wool grease.I had mailed them about it and they had replied confirming that. But like I said it is considered synthetic supposedly because no animal is killed for the purpose(don't know how far that is true).It really all depends on what U r comfortable with.I have posted their reply in the "General replies Thread" .I think U should look it up......

Well coming to the milk Cos I had mailed Berkeley, Horizon but didn't get any response!!!!I have tried soy milk,but somehow didn't really like it so much....lanolin is still acceptable but animal skin like skin of pigs or fish used to make D3 is really a big no -no for me..........EWWWWWW

But guess I don't have much options here!!!!!!Thanks anyways!!!!!
#5 Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

How about flavored soy milk? Chocolate and vanilla are pretty easy to find.

I drink fortified soy milk that have labels such as "suitable for vegetarians" and "no animal ingredients"... something like that. Vitasoy and Silk are good. You have to be careful though, some "soy milk" are mixed with cow's milk.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#6 Old 11-29-2007, 12:13 AM

Maybe I should try flavored soy milk........I haven't really tried it.........Actually I needed something to go with tea cos I drink a lot of tea and can't seem to find a good substitute for regular milk......don'think I can use flavored soy milk there but it may be a good drink by itself I guess!!!!!!Thanks!!!
#7 Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 AM

Rice milk (fortified) is also nice, I use that in my cereal in the morning as I don't like the taste of normal soy milk. Chocolate soy milk on the other hand!
#8 Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

Rice milk (fortified) is also nice, I use that in my cereal in the morning as I don't like the taste of normal soy milk. Chocolate soy milk on the other hand!

Would rice milk be alright to add to tea??? Is it extra sweet as compared to regular milk??????
#9 Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramypooh View Post

Actually D3 derived from sheep wool is labelled as synthetic by most manufacturers.Tropicana does get it's D3 from sheep wool grease.I had mailed them about it and they had replied confirming that. But like I said it is considered synthetic supposedly because no animal is killed for the purpose(don't know how far that is true).It really all depends on what U r comfortable with.I have posted their reply in the "General replies Thread" .I think U should look it up......

So this means Tropicana pretty blatantly lied to me when I emailed them a few months ago. Unfortunately, I can't find the email now. I must not have saved it.

Edit: I found it. I hadn't saved the email, but I did post the contents here on VB to share with everyone. They did blatantly lie:

Quote:

The form of Vitamin D added to the Pure Premium Orange Juice is Vitamin

D3. It is synthetically sourced, and does not contain animal or dairy

products.

Here's the thread with the full letters (my original letter and their response):

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ight=tropicana

--Fromper

#10 Old 11-30-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

So this means Tropicana pretty blatantly lied to me when I emailed them a few months ago. Unfortunately, I can't find the email now. I must not have saved it.

Edit: I found it. I hadn't saved the email, but I did post the contents here on VB to share with everyone. They did blatantly lie:

Here's the thread with the full letters (my original letter and their response):

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ight=tropicana

--Fromper

Seems like they did Fromper!!!!!!I read ur letter and the response too........Did you read the response I got from them???? How can there be 2 different responses to the same question?????I had also asked them about the natural flavors used and they were so vague about it!!!!!!Don't know what to believe anymore

They claim it is synthetic but I think the responsible thing for them to do is to clearly disclose that it is from an animal source and then let the consumer decide..........How can they be allowed to decide for everybody!!!!!!
#11 Old 11-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah, tropicana is animal derived! grrrr.

as for milks... silk soy light milk is lighter and may be easier to drink for you plain. i dont like soy milk straight myself, particularly, but i like this one.

dont give up on the soy/rice/ almond milks though, they vary sooooo much from brand to brand.

people seem to really like rice milk, i have yet to try it straight, though ive had it in things. i like it.
#12 Old 11-30-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramypooh View Post

Would rice milk be alright to add to tea??? Is it extra sweet as compared to regular milk??????

My partner prefers sweetened soy milk in his tea, he likes it better than regular milk actually (he's vegetarian). I think rice milk would probably be a bit sweet but I guess it depends on what you like
#13 Old 11-30-2007, 09:32 PM

Got myself a carton of Vanilla Soy milk today .It was Organic Vitasoy brand and the carton stated that it was vegan,so that was easy!!!!Didn't have to worry about all those added vitamins....... Any suggestions as to any other good brands of flavored soy milk?????

It didn't taste that bad(better than the plain soy at least!!) can surely have it with my cereal.

Will try the rice milk option the next time! Thanks !!!!!!!
#14 Old 12-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

i think the only soy milk *and please correct me if im wrong!* that i heard ever had questionable derivatives was 8th continent at some point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page