Thanksgiving. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-18-2007, 11:28 AM

Yes, I know there are a TON of threads here about this. I just need one question answered:

Besides TOFURKEY (or tofu/tempeh) what is a good dish to make for the main meal at Thanksgiving? I'm not the best cook, but I need to make something. I hadn't told the hubby's family that I was veg (just recommited myself recently to eating this way) and I feel bad because I think they'll be offended if I don't eat the turkey. I know it doesn't matter, but I don't want to just eat side items - I need a MAIN COURSE lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

This is what I posted in another thread about Thanksgiving a couple months ago. I like it because it's completely vegan and works as both an entrée and a side dish. As it turns out, my sister is hosting Thanksgiving at her house this year, and she plans to make it as both (an entrée for us two and a side dish for the turkey-eaters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I like recommending something like the Three Sisters Stew. It's so called because the main ingredients are corn (maize), beans and squash, the three crops considered most important to Native Americans. If done right, it has a good, hearty flavor that makes it work as a main course (or even as a side dish for omnis and the main course for the veg*ans). It's perfect for Thanksgiving because of the history of the holiday, being that those who celebrated the First Thanksgiving would not have survived without the help of the Native Americans. It has plenty of vegetables to fill you up, plus it's perfect for the fall season, not only because of the ingredients, but also with its colors, texture and flavor. It looks like something the Native Americans would have brought to the First Thanksgiving.

If you google around, you'll find different versions of the recipe. The one I've had was the one my sister made for probably my first vegetarian Thanksgiving (we were both vegetarian back then; now she's a pescetarian); it came from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Moosewood-Rest...9502681&sr=8-1 (The Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites). If you make this recipe, or a similar one, be careful how much liquid you add. My sister used a little too much and it was more of a soup than a stew. It was still pretty good, though.

ETA: oops. Apparently the link in my original post doesn't work anymore. Here's the correct, current link for the cookbook. http://www.amazon.com/Moosewood-Rest...5414893&sr=1-4

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 11-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Stuffed squashes make lovely centerpieces and can be really satisfying. Ground veg soy protein (sausage style is nice) or seitan, rice, veggies (corn, zucchini and the squash you scooped out to create a hollow) spices, garlic, onions and bake it until the squash is soft.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I've made seitan roulade, or to be really simple, I've also just heated up a "chick'n" patty and had that with cranberry sauce.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a link for Three Sister's Stew:

http://www.recipezaar.com/204737

there is a link to more versions of it within that link.
#6 Old 11-18-2007, 05:39 PM

I think im going to fast on thanksgiving, and if i do anything it will just be video games at a friends place. Or ill just ignore the whole day because Im in chicago, and the fam is in the north east.
#7 Old 11-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg_powered View Post

I think im going to fast on thanksgiving, and if i do anything it will just be video games at a friends place. Or ill just ignore the whole day because Im in chicago, and the fam is in the north east.

Just in case you have any interest (and don't want to fast), I was at the Chicago Diner yesterday and noticed that they are doing a vegan Thanksgiving dinner on the day itself. It might be kind of expensive, but the food looked mighty awesome. If I couldn't be with family that day, I think that's where I'd be.
#8 Old 11-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg_powered View Post

I know how much that sucks. Trust me. Are there any friends you know without family nearby? You could make it a really awesome day with just friends.
#9 Old 11-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm making a kind of casserole with mashed pumpkin, onions, garlic, quinoa, mashed acorn squash, walnuts, pomegranate, and a little pepper and curry powder. I did a test version a few weeks ago and it was pretty good.
#10 Old 11-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoveggie View Post

I'm making a kind of casserole with mashed pumpkin, onions, garlic, quinoa, mashed acorn squash, walnuts, pomegranate, and a little pepper and curry powder. I did a test version a few weeks ago and it was pretty good.

Oh my gosh! could you possibly disclose that recipe? it sounds absolutely phenomenal! if it's just rough amounts, that works, too. Please!
#11 Old 11-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

i stuff my roasted acorn squash w/ wild or brown rice w/ shallots/broth, and applesauce on top. i heard others put in walnuts as well.

bourbon mashed sweet potatoes! 6lbs sweet pots, baked, then peeled.

some lemon juice, spices (like pump pie spice), 6-8 tbs marg, 3 Tbs bourbon, w/ alcohol burned off by setting aflame or boiling, ...(i think thats all, this is off the top of my head)

put in 13/9 casserole dish, top w/ pecans and cinn/sugar, and bake for 30 mins

lentil rice/nut loaf w/ a mushroom gravy!
#12 Old 11-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

or a veggie lasagna or gratin... something like this...

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=16984.0

shepherds pie

pot pie
#13 Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Large, juicy portabello mushrooms stuffed with a mound of wild-rice and bread crumb mixture (add some chopped, sauteed bits of onion, mushroom, celery, etc) and enough veggie broth to make it all stick together.

Makes the omnis DROOL!!

How about enchiladas or lasagna or Pad Thai? Does it have to be "traditional" Thanksgiving food?
#14 Old 11-19-2007, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcovering View Post

Oh my gosh! could you possibly disclose that recipe? it sounds absolutely phenomenal! if it's just rough amounts, that works, too. Please!

ok, what I did was I greased a shallow pan. Then I gutted and steamed the pumpkin and the squash separately, while I was cooking about a 3/4 cup of quinoa, I add a dash of pumpkin pie spice and a couple shakes of curry powder in with the quinoa water so the flavor cooks in. I roughly chopped one onion and mixed it in with the squashed pumpkin, as well as a dash of cumin. I leveled the mashed pumpkin mix in the bottom of the pan and then covered it with the quinoa, pushing everything flat. I minced about five cloves of garlic and sprinkled them over the quinoa. Then I covered it with the mashed squash. I topped it off with a handful of pomegranate seeds and walnut peices, pushing them lightly into the squash. Pepper lightly. Cover with foil and put into the oven at 350°F for 1/2 hour covered and 1/2 hour uncovered.

I still haven't figured out what I want to call it... Pomagranate Quinoa... Something.
#15 Old 11-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

ok, what I did was I greased a shallow pan. Then I gutted and steamed the pumpkin and the squash separately, while I was cooking about a 3/4 cup of quinoa, I add a dash of pumpkin pie spice and a couple shakes of curry powder in with the quinoa water so the flavor cooks in. I roughly chopped one onion and mixed it in with the squashed pumpkin, as well as a dash of cumin. I leveled the mashed pumpkin mix in the bottom of the pan and then covered it with the quinoa, pushing everything flat. I minced about five cloves of garlic and sprinkled them over the quinoa. Then I covered it with the mashed squash. I topped it off with a handful of pomegranate seeds and walnut peices, pushing them lightly into the squash. Pepper lightly. Cover with foil and put into the oven at 350°F for 1/2 hour covered and 1/2 hour uncovered.

I still haven't figured out what I want to call it... Pomagranate Quinoa... Something.

Sounds a little odd, but good! I think I will make that for my Thanksgiving.

Did you cook the squash and pumpkin a little first before mashing it? I think it would be hard to do while completely raw...
#16 Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

Sounds a little odd, but good! I think I will make that for my Thanksgiving.

Did you cook the squash and pumpkin a little first before mashing it? I think it would be hard to do while completely raw...

Yes, I quartered and steamed them untill they were soft. They were rather thoroughly cooked.
#17 Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, I quartered and steamed them untill they were soft. They were rather thoroughly cooked.

Do you think that an equal amount of canned pumpkin could be substituted for the whole cooked pumpkin?
#18 Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcovering View Post

Do you think that an equal amount of canned pumpkin could be substituted for the whole cooked pumpkin?

Probably one can would work, pie pumpkins aren't big. I'm not sure about the texture though, when I mask squash it still is a little fiberous, canned pumpkin is pureed. It would be easier to use canned pumpkin, pie pumpkins get pretty picked over by tuesday before thanksginving. If you try it let me know how it turns out.
#19 Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I HATE THANKSGIVING!!! OR AS I WOULD PREFER TO CALL IT NATIONAL TURKEY HOLOCAUST DAY !!!

I feel like moving to another country and never coming back solely based on this sinful day of lust and animal slaughter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#20 Old 11-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

cryptoveggie, I tried the recipe, and it was FABULOUS! No kidding. My mom and I kept going "yum, yum, yum" after each bite. I got really worried about the pumpkin thinking that I wouldn't like it, so I only used about 3/4 of the can which was enough to cover just the bottom of it. plus I didn't have enough onion, but that was OK. The garlic tasted really nice. The real star was the quinoa though, which I had never made myself before and it was SO much more moist when I prepared it myself than when i got it storebought at whole paycheck. Pomegranate seeds and walnuts provided great crunch. I steamed the butternut squash in the micro which also worked great. Overall, I LOVE it and I am so taking it for lunch tomorrow! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page