What is the one food that you hate that you've tried since going veg? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Tempe.

I love tofu though.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 11-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

All you hummus and baba ganouj haters are crazy. And to you eggplant haters, I don't like you much either! What did I ever do to you?

That being said, there are a few veggies I never liked, but the only foods I've found I didn't like after going veg are most fake meats and fake cheeses. Vegan gourmet cheese is ok, but still not great.
#63 Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I like pumpkin because it's supposed to smell like pumpkin. Tofu isn't supposed to smell like pumpkin.

Tofu isn't supposed to smell like anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Eggplant, with mushrooms a close second. I can eat mushrooms, though, if they're well disguised.

Whoever it was upthread who said they had tofu in their refrigerator for a few weeks - it should have a freshness date on it which should be reliable if you haven't opened the package. But in general it's best to use it up pretty quickly.
#65 Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Tofu isn't supposed to smell like pumpkin.

LOL
#66 Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Beginner

I hate all obvious proteins (like tofu, tempeh and fake meats) I will eat tofu occasionally when I feel like I'm lacking, but I don't really enjoy it unless its fried or heavily marinated. And then masked amongst other strong flavors.

I try to eat a diet that is natural as possible.
#67 Old 11-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

All you hummus and baba ganouj haters are crazy. And to you eggplant haters, I don't like you much either! What did I ever do to you?

Nothing personal, I assure you!
#68 Old 11-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Raw tomato... can't stand against it.
#69 Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Beginner

I've hated throughout my life.. im sure i'm allergic to it? I vomit whenever i smell/taste it..xD

MAYONNAISE.
#70 Old 11-13-2007, 05:30 PM

I can only name the one I hate the most? It's really a tie between Nutritional Yeast and Tofu. Ick.
#71 Old 11-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

Tofu isn't supposed to smell like anything.

But it does... I've tried different brands and the smell is just sickening...
#72 Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post

I've hated throughout my life.. im sure i'm allergic to it? I vomit whenever i smell/taste it..xD

MAYONNAISE.

I've never been a fan either. I grew up on mustard. I do like Vegenaise with my Wham sandwich though
#73 Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Beginner

I'd have to agree about tabouli. I think it calls for mint, which makes it taste like toothpaste to me. Also, someone suggested eating nori by itself as a snack. . . Tastes like dehydrated fish paste to me.

Fake meats/processed stuff are rather gross. Once in a while, I eat Smart Dogs on the grill or treat myself to a fake processed cheese sandwich.

Everything else, I pretty much love. I'm a HUGE fan of tofu and all veggies, with the exception of raw onions.
#74 Old 11-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illyrianmoon View Post

Also, someone suggested eating nori by itself as a snack. . . Tastes like dehydrated fish paste to me.

omg nori

I ate a sheet of that by itself (free sample at vegan fayre!) and was almost sick. its how i imagine licking the sea to be!

So I shall have to add that to my list
#75 Old 11-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan cheese, any brand. I think I've tried them all.

I don't like raisins, eggplant, olives or undisguised mushrooms either, but then I never did.
#76 Old 11-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Lentils. I tried lentil soup many, many years before becoming veg. I ran across a lentil salad at whole foods and thought I'd give them another try. Nope. Don't like them. I guess I only have 18 more tries to go......
#77 Old 11-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegreenmom, I bravely volunteer to eat your share of yeast. Starting now, on my popcorn.

Tofurky. I wish I liked it; it's a convenient full meal deal and I'm into that cranberry stuffing. But no. It mimics cheap, scary overprocessed turkey foods made with too much salt.
#78 Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

omg nori

I ate a sheet of that by itself (free sample at vegan fayre!) and was almost sick. its how i imagine licking the sea to be!

Yes, exactly! So gross!
#79 Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Give peas a chance

I'm surprised so many people don't like celery. I've become obsessed with Creole and Cajun cooking since going veg. Celery, bell pepper and onion are the holy trinity.

In defense of hummus... the taste really depends on the level of garlic and how the garlic was prepared. If there is more than 1 raw minced clove, it can taste like acid. On the other hand, Henry's used to sell a powdered (just add water) hummus that, I swear, tasted like lemon cookie dough. It was made with garbanzo flour, lemon, and a minimal amount of garlic powder that wasn't even noticeable.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#80 Old 11-15-2007, 04:54 AM

most "fake meats"

Why is the natural assumption that vegetarians don't want to eat meat but want their meat substitute to look and taste as close to meat as possible?
#81 Old 11-15-2007, 12:26 PM

^haha...you guys are too funny. I enjoy nori but on a limited basis. After eating too much of it, you realize you're eating algae.

I absolutely despise sweet peas (unless they are frozen and cooked in fried rice). Not a fan of celery either. Sorry Mojo.
#82 Old 11-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_B View Post

most "fake meats"

Why is the natural assumption that vegetarians don't want to eat meat but want their meat substitute to look and taste as close to meat as possible?

I wouldn't say it's a natural assumption. It's definately a great way to convert to vegetarianism without feeling deprived though.
#83 Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesters524 View Post

I absolutely despise sweet peas (unless they are frozen and cooked in fried rice). Not a fan of celery either. Sorry Mojo.

WHAT!? Sweet peas the best.. you must not be human!
#84 Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Hahaha um... I love almost all of these "icky" foods.

One thing I *don't* like- olives. Ew. Ewwwwww. Basically, though, I'll eat anything vegan. I'm not picky at all.
#85 Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Tempeh. Maybe I just haven't tasted really well-prepared tempeh, but I find it so gummy and gross. Why not just eat yummy delicious tofu?

I also hate cucumbers, green peppers, cilantro, and fennel, but I hated those before I went veg*an. Oh, and arugula.
#86 Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm I don't think I don't like anything! (Yet.)

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#87 Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 PM

I simply cannot countenance canteloupe. I try it about once every year, but I always go back to no canteloupe.

I have tried putting vanilla ice cream on it, whipped cream, any number of raw nut creams... but there is no way canteloupe will go down easily. I ate a canteloupe ball on August 4th, so I am clear for the next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4mango View Post

Take your time to think .

What food can you just not get yourself to like, no matter how hard you've tried? I haven't been too crazy about fried tofu so far...

Post a reply soon

#88 Old 11-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesters524 View Post

^haha...you guys are too funny. I enjoy nori but on a limited basis. After eating too much of it, you realize you're eating algae.

It's seaweed, not algae. And who eats a sheet of nori? That's like saying, "ew, I hate flour because once I ate a cup of it and it was gross."

I think the only thing that I didn't like after going veg was falafel. I had it a few times, in different ways, and it sucked every time. Everything else I don't like (which isn't much) I'd tried before going veg.
#89 Old 11-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

It's seaweed, not algae. And who eats a sheet of nori? That's like saying, "ew, I hate flour because once I ate a cup of it and it was gross."

My daughter eats nori sheets as a snack. Really. She likes lots of foods most people think aren't tasty though, like Brussels sprouts. Nori's also eaten by a lot of Asian cultures as a snack (it's sold in little snack packets and such even, at Asian markets). Lots of raw foodies like it that way too. My kid won't choose it over an Uncle Eddie's cookie on most occasions, mind you, but I spend about $50 every 3 months on raw, organic (vegan) nori for her. (It's so expensive because of the harvesting methods;They ensure that it is fish and sea creature-free, unlike most nori).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#90 Old 11-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow! I'm surprised so many people here don't like hummus!

The foods that I don't like since I've gone veg are soy hot dogs (I didn't like meat hot dogs either) and soy cheese.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page