What is the one food that you hate that you've tried since going veg? - Page 11 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#301 Old 07-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I have always HATED I mean REALLY HATED any type of peppers and onions. Now that I'm vegetarian, it seems that they are in EVERY recipe I look at. Frankly, its a bit annoying lol. I know they can supply a lot of flavor, but I just never acquired the taste for them. Blech!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 Old 07-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatrelife101 View Post

I have always HATED I mean REALLY HATED any type of peppers and onions. Now that I'm vegetarian, it seems that they are in EVERY recipe I look at. Frankly, its a bit annoying lol. I know they can supply a lot of flavor, but I just never acquired the taste for them. Blech!

Same. I do LOVE cooked onions, but hate raw ones. I can't stand any kind of pepper. It's very common to see peppers replace meat in restaurants. Peppers are in fajitas, stir frys, many premade meals, and in so many other places. I've found ways around them.

Keep trying onions, especially cooked ones because they're nothing like raw ones.
#303 Old 07-21-2008, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Back when I was first flirting with veganism I bought some fake cheese: pepper jack rice cheese. It was disgusting. And then I read the ingredients... it had casein in it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#304 Old 07-21-2008, 02:21 AM

nuts make me sick raw or soaked

fermented tempeh is good, miso too and shoyu sauce

sweetdreams

‘’Every blade of grass has an angel bending over it saying, Grow! Grow!’’ - The Talmud (ancient Jewish text)

*'The angels that the Talmud refers to are the ‘nature angels’.Faeries are angels who reside very close to the earth so that they can perform their Divine Mission of protecting nature, animals and Mother Earth.

They also help and direct us humans and bring in a sense of magic, playfulness and romance into our lives
#305 Old 07-21-2008, 03:13 AM

Tofu and eggplant seem to have a similar texture to me, and I don't like either of them. Texture, texture, texture... why my tongue cares so much I'll never know. In my pre-veg days I went years without experiencing the wonderfulness that is avocado because my first experience had been cubed in a salad. Totally unexpected to have this slimy stuff suddenly in my mouth!

I actually am far less picky now and eat a far wider range of foods. I still think black olvies are nasty, just like I always did, but do to my vegetarian attitude of trying so many new things, I realized Kalamata is sooo not the same thing, and omG how yummy!

Sorry, off topic.

Hates since becoming veggie...

Tofu

eggplant

veggie dogs

and, not a hate, but I'm pre-judging. So scared to try the veggie cheeses, they just seem terrible. and the ones that actually looked like cheese had cassein. I will try it though, and soon!
#306 Old 07-21-2008, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSalire View Post

Tofu and eggplant seem to have a similar texture to me, and I don't like either of them.

Try baked or fried firm tofu, it is kind of like a french fry in texture, very little squishiness about it.
#307 Old 07-21-2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Try baked or fried firm tofu, it is kind of like a french fry in texture, very little squishiness about it.

Thanks! A local shop makes these fried tofu nuggets and patties that are really good. Not the patties, they were still too ew for me, but the nuggets were yum. The last I had them was when I was still omni and thought they were similar to, and tasted better than, popcorn chicken. But I realized it was the copious amounts of breading and carmelization (I think), and decided this could not possibly be good for me! But yes, good point, it is doable, when done right! I also very much like tempeh, and it pleases me to know it's actually less processed than tofu and higher in nutritional values. I don't much mind skipping the tofu when I can get so much pleasure out of other soy products. Like Edamame mmmmm.
#308 Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 AM

I'm sure this has been said before, but I can't stand mushrooms. I know that they are so healthy and a nice hearty substitute for meat, but I just can't do it! I'll keep trying, though, my taste buds have changed before, I'm sure that they will change again.

And I never liked tempeh until I tried grain tempeh. The soy just didn't do it for me, but I will try that again in the future also.
#309 Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't think of anything that I've tried after going veg*n that I've really hated. I've always hated the taste of cilantro. It's simply terrible. Whenever I prepared Mexican cuisine in the past, I used parsley instead. I remember my parents went shopping years ago for parsley and accidently brought home cilantro. :X I just can't like the flavor of cilantro. Not only does it stink to me, but it tastes like soap and utter yuckiness.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#310 Old 07-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ I agree with the cilantro! When I was younger I was invited to some church youth group, where they were eating foods that had to do with the last supper or something. They served us some cilantro and salt water......feeling inclined I tried it...

I havent been able to eat it since and finding salsa while dining out that doesnt have it is tough.
#311 Old 07-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Coconut anything, like coconut milk in curries(why is there almost always coconut milk in curries?). I've tried so many times to like it, but I can never finish anything that has it.
#312 Old 07-22-2008, 12:59 PM

Gimme Lean "sausage." I tried, but couldn't shake the dogfoodiness of it :/
#313 Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Stonewalls Jerky.....
#314 Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Vanilla Soy Milk (Silk)

I love Silk's Chocolate Soy Milk, and I tried Vanilla, and it's TERRIBLE!
#315 Old 07-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

They served us some cilantro and salt water

WTF... why?
#316 Old 07-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatrelife101 View Post

Vanilla Soy Milk (Silk)

I love Silk's Chocolate Soy Milk, and I tried Vanilla, and it's TERRIBLE!

That's interesting, really. I love Vanilla Silk (and its chai/latte blend), but I really don't like Silk's Chocolate Soy Milk. Yeck....

I've eaten Vanilla Soy in cereal and have drunk it straight. I've even used regular soy in making cakes and breads.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#317 Old 07-24-2008, 01:23 PM

I don't like seitan.

Didn't like tofu, but I got used to it and got to like it rather quickly.
#318 Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post

Coconut anything, like coconut milk in curries(why is there almost always coconut milk in curries?). I've tried so many times to like it, but I can never finish anything that has it.

I use soy milk instead of coconut in curries. You might try that. It's not the same, but I think it tastes pretty good.
#319 Old 07-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

Galaxy's Vegan American Flavor Soy Slices.

I just tried that two weeks ago... It was disgusting! I fed my father a piece (he loves cheese more than anyone I know), and he literally almost threw up.
#320 Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Veggie bacon... the smell puts me off and the taste is so indescribable!
#321 Old 07-25-2008, 06:29 AM

I have yet to find a cheese substitute that doesn't remind me of the flavor of vomit. The only reason I've bothered looking is because I have an omni fiance who would give veg*n a chance if there was a decent cheese substitute.

Celery, mushrooms, melons of any kind and most nuts top my list of foods I didn't even like before becoming veg.
#322 Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally Cat View Post

Veggie bacon... the smell puts me off and the taste is so indescribable!

What brand?
#323 Old 07-25-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

What brand?

I think it was morningstar farms. It was a frozen brand.
#324 Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I never could develop much of a taste for hummus. At first I thought it was the brand - I'd buy it at Trader Joe's - and thought it was too grainy and bland tasting. But then when I tried other brands, I decided it was the thing itself and not just the brand I didn't care for.

I also don't like tofu that much. I don't cook with it at home, but I'll eat it when I'm out somewhere and that's my main or only choice. I guess it depends on HOW it's cooked.

*this space not for sale*
#325 Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignedToKnit View Post

I have an omni fiance who would give veg*n a chance if there was a decent cheese substitute.

Do you mean vegan? Because your fiance could be a vegetarian and eat all the cheese he wants... "veg*n" is including both, but in this case that wouldn't make sense
#326 Old 07-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan jerkey
#327 Old 07-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Tempeh and Eggplant. I try to cook it in different ways but cannot seem to like it.
#328 Old 07-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani_cat View Post

Tempeh and Eggplant. I try to cook it in different ways but cannot seem to like it.

Have you ever made eggplant parmesan?
#329 Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I never could develop much of a taste for hummus. At first I thought it was the brand - I'd buy it at Trader Joe's - and thought it was too grainy and bland tasting. But then when I tried other brands, I decided it was the thing itself and not just the brand I didn't care for.

I don't like store-bought hummus. I've tried Athenos (yuck) and a couple other brands and they all seem kind of bland to me. But I love what I make at home and when I order it in restaurants.
#330 Old 07-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Have you ever made eggplant parmesan?

No, I haven't but it sound pretty good. Do you have a recipe?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page