What is the one food that you hate that you've tried since going veg? - Page 10 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#271 Old 07-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

i had these toast things from Amys that were vegan. they were disgusting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 Old 07-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Rice Dream anything. I'm sorry, but rice as a substitute for ANY milk or cream just does NOT work in my book. It's bitter, strange, and it separates itself from the water and other ingredients. There. I said it.

I like the Amy's Toast things, but they're way overpriced.

Also I'd like to edit this post to say I concur with Nykoelle on the tempeh, which I have a lot of trouble liking. It's pasty and it tastes like something gone bad. I am sure that there are ways of making it edible, but straight or stir-fried it is NOT my cup of tea.
#273 Old 07-13-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

Have you tried black bean hummus? It's good.

Here's a recipe if you're interested (I have not tried this one, though): http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-B...us/Detail.aspx

Or.. if you are willing to give hummus another try, I would recommend this one... http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7148.0 (just reduce the tamari to 1/2 tsp, I think it's too much at 1 tsp) But, hummus isn't for everyone.

I don't eat fake meats either because they remind me of the real thing...

bigg THANK-YOU for the Recipes...sure I am always willing to give it another try and appreciate the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#274 Old 07-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Tempeh. Tried it a bunch of ways, even had tempeh riblets. I LOVED the barbeque sauce, the tempeh was gross.

Marmite is also the most terrible thing ever. I offer it to friends to try when they come over, hoping someone will like it and take it. About 10ish people later, still no takers
#275 Old 07-13-2008, 08:21 PM

Soy milk! I have tried only the vanilla flavor, but I hated it so much that I have never tried any flavor. In fact I had one sip and threw out the whole carton!
#276 Old 07-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

Marmite is also the most terrible thing ever. I offer it to friends to try when they come over, hoping someone will like it and take it. About 10ish people later, still no takers

**GASP**

Noooo... Marmite is good stuff!

Send it to:

2789 South Main Street..
#277 Old 07-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Try this (I was the exact same way as you): get a block (fresh in the package), cut a slit in the package and drain the water. Now stick it in the freezer, let it freeze, take it out, put it in the fridge, when you're ready to use it, cut it up and press it REALLY well... then marinade it I like to marinade mine in teriyaki sauce and cook it up in stir fry. Freezing it is the key... it changes the texture a lot and somehow it's easier to press.

I've tried freezing it but not like that. I'll give it a go...
#278 Old 07-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaveg View Post

i had these toast things from Amys that were vegan. they were disgusting.

I bought the cheese pizza ones and really liked them, but they didn't cook evenly in my toaster. I had to microwave them first or the outside would be burned and the inside frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbutler View Post

Soy milk! I have tried only the vanilla flavor, but I hated it so much that I have never tried any flavor. In fact I had one sip and threw out the whole carton!

Aww... give it another try. Use it for cooking and baking... it's really an aquired taste. I got used to it by putting it on cereal... after 2 times, I loved it (original, not vanilla). Chocolate soy milk is good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahaacke View Post

I've tried freezing it but not like that. I'll give it a go...

Hope it works It all comes down to pressing it completely. To me, tofu tastes and smells like bad pumpkin (it's the only way I can describe it). I LOVE it in stir fry when saturated in teriyaki sauce. I recommend browning the tofu in a seperate pan than the veggies as the veggies release water. And if you hate it, you don't have to mix it with your stir fry veggies and rice... plus you only wastes about $1 on the tofu.
#279 Old 07-14-2008, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaticJawz78 View Post

Rice Dream anything. I'm sorry, but rice as a substitute for ANY milk or cream just does NOT work in my book. It's bitter, strange, and it separates itself from the water and other ingredients. There. I said it.

There's no point in me naming a brand because I'm in a different country to you, but there are some brands that don't separate and aren't bitter.

I brought quite a few before I found one that was good.
#280 Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

bigg THANK-YOU for the Recipes...sure I am always willing to give it another try and appreciate the help

You're welcome!

Quote:

Tempeh. Tried it a bunch of ways, even had tempeh riblets. I LOVED the barbeque sauce, the tempeh was gross.

Have you tried breaking it up in a chili? I like it better that way.
#281 Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

Marmite is indeed a love-hate thing when eaten on its own but I use it mainly in cooking. I'll add half a tsp to soups or stews and it really adds the depth of flavour missing from traditonal recipes. Its especially helpful when making seitan and reconstituting TVP.

I'll bet the people you say hate marmite actually eat a type of marmite all of the time. Look for 'yeast extract' on your favourite ready-made foods: thats marmite, and its used in all sorts of foods to add the flavour described above.
#282 Old 07-14-2008, 05:09 AM
Banned

Quote:

I was the same way with tempeh: I tried it a bunch of ways but it was always terrible. And then one day I went to a proper Indonesian restaurant where it was prepared in a traditional way and it was fantastic! I haven't been ablt to recreate that taste myself but I know its possible
#283 Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I was the same way with tempeh: I tried it a bunch of ways but it was always terrible. And then one day I went to a proper Indonesian restaurant where it was prepared in a traditional way and it was fantastic! I haven't been ablt to recreate that taste myself but I know its possible

I used to live in Indonesia and the tempeh was great!
#284 Old 07-14-2008, 03:38 PM

Dried soya mince or chunks. However I try to disguise the taste it's still horrible, and I don't like the texture of it either.

I really dislike corriander (the green stuff), it tastes like it's been harvested out of a stagnant pond to me.

I didn't like tofu at first. However since I found that if you squeeze the excess water out of the firm stuff with kitchen paper, and put the softer stuff in sheets of kitchen paper with a weight on top till it becomes drier, then it is vastly improved. It's surprising how much water you can get out of it. Spread firm thinnish slices of it with harissa paste and fry in olive oil is a good way.

I like good hummous, the emphasis being on good. Some stuff calling itself hummous is not good, and it does vary quite a lot.
#285 Old 07-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Cooked cabbage/Brussels Sprouts are the most horrible thing I can imagine putting in one's mouth.

http://video.about.com/southernfood/...el-Sprouts.htm

Brussels sprouts that don't taste like Brussels sprouts. ^
#286 Old 07-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeygirl View Post

Fake meat. I made a decision to stop eating animals so I dont need a lookalike substitute.

I'm with you.. I saw a "vegan chick'n curry salad" at Whole Foods and even though I really didn't want "fake meat" I decided to try it anyways.. I couldn't do it. It almost made me sick
#287 Old 07-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Yes. Thumbs down to fake meat. Bought fake "pepperoni" for pizza night at my house, Tried one out of the package and it smelled like the "Pup-peroni" the dog eats. And even he didn't like this stuff.
#288 Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 PM

chicken. anything fake chicken or chicken flavored... BAD.

And... I no longer like ice cream. So now... I think I am officially vegan.
#289 Old 07-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Banned

batenburg cake
#290 Old 07-15-2008, 11:54 PM

Galaxy's Vegan American Flavor Soy Slices.
#291 Old 07-16-2008, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, bleaugh to fake meats.

Something that I could never tolerate in anything, ever, was bell peppers. I couldn't even stand the smell of a dish that had them in it. However for some reason about a year ago just out of the blue, I discovered their yumminess! Now I can eat them raw, on their own, roasted, any which way.
#292 Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Aww... give it (soymilk) another try. Use it for cooking and baking... it's really an aquired taste. I got used to it by putting it on cereal... after 2 times, I loved it (original, not vanilla). Chocolate soy milk is good too.

It's true. If you don't like the flavor of soymilk on its lonesome (it IS an acquired taste, if you ask me, though I like it), it will still would fabulously for baking and cooking- works just the same as cow milk and the flavor is not at all noticable. In soup, it seems to be even thicker than, say, skim milk.

And yes, chocolate soy milk is often worth trying once in a while because that can taste quite similar to the real thing.
#293 Old 07-18-2008, 01:58 AM

red quinoa... which is a shame coz i was really set up to love it
#294 Old 07-18-2008, 03:02 AM

Smart Dogs. Sick!

And I don't like tofu either, which I guess makes me a weirdo or leper or something. Oh well.
#295 Old 07-18-2008, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppie View Post

red quinoa... which is a shame coz i was really set up to love it

OMG! I can't imagine not loving quinoa! You need to try it like this: Quinoa Vegetable Paella

ETA - Sorry, I just saw that you don't like *red* quinoa - not just regular quinoa! Woops, will read more thoroughly next time!
#296 Old 07-18-2008, 04:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeck1981 View Post

Smart Dogs. Sick!

And I don't like tofu either, which I guess makes me a weirdo or leper or something. Oh well.

How have you had tofu prepared?

Tofu is like a potato: raw, its not very good. Boiled, its a bit plain, but if you know how to cook potatoes or tofu correctly it can be great.
#297 Old 07-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular

from TO: fat-free nayonaise is SUPER gross

so nice yogurt is pretty bad

tofu dogs.. forget what brand but I really felt like hurling. Same way hot dogs always made me feel before going veg... I think its the processed protein on a bun thing that gets me.

here in spain..

oat flam-type dessert... sickly sweet

quinoa milk is unfortunately pretty gross. I say unfortunately cus i bought a ton. -_-'
#298 Old 07-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never heard of quinoa milk, that's interesting.
#299 Old 07-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeck1981 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

How have you had tofu prepared?

Tofu is like a potato: raw, its not very good. Boiled, its a bit plain, but if you know how to cook potatoes or tofu correctly it can be great.

(Great analogy, Mr. Falafel)

My question too - How have you had tofu prepared? AND What type of tofu?

I hated on tofu for years! Because I kept buying the silken stuff and trying to make it turn into crisp, golden-brown cubes like my favorite restaurant...

Now I know better. And I LOVE the stuff 'cause I know how to make it...

Even so, one of my kids won't touch the stuff while the other one loves it, you're in good company - and not a weirdo (though we may shun your tofu-hating-ness much like we would a leper.... KIDDING!).
#300 Old 07-19-2008, 10:33 PM

I have to agree with bean soup. My mother bought it for me and I told her not to buy it again it was gross to which she replied "but it's vegetarian" haha I know my moms funny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page