What your friends say - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-04-2007, 03:35 PM

I love the fact that I am changing the lives of animals by being a vegetarian, but I can't stand what my friends say about my new diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Beginner

Don't worry Massie-they're the ones who are missing out. At the end of the day, it doesnt really matter what they think. Good on you for taking the step towards a healthier, kinder and happier life! You just learn to block out the negative comments after a while.
#3 Old 11-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUDDY View Post

Don't worry Massie-they're the ones who are missing out. At the end of the day, it doesnt really matter what they think. Good on you for taking the step towards a healthier, kinder and happier life! You just learn to block out the negative comments after a while.

So unbelieveably true. There will always be someone criticizing you about it, it's just the way it is. Eventually you'll learn to either be able to come back at them with great information so that they don't know what to say back to you, or you'll learn to just shrug it off.

*here's to hoping your friends stop with their silly comments*
#5 Old 11-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

That's some lousy friends if they're going to make fun of you or say mean things about your diet. Mine don't care, and kind of get a kick out of cooking vegan for me.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 11-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

One of my friends thinks I'm ridiculously unhealthy for not eating meat. She eats meat at pretty much every meal, and drinks milk constantly.

I was eating a salad with tons of veggies, a black bean burger on a wheat bun, and grapes, and she goes "You need more protein in your diet..." as she guzzles down a carton of milk and eats her 2 different kinds of chicken from the Chinese place...sigh...

I usually just ignore her negative comments, or reassure her that my diet is very healthy thankyouverymuch.
#7 Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

One of my old "friends" was a complete... witch... about it. For months, she talked about my veganism behind my back (I didn't know about it). Then one day, she finally flipped out on me and told me how stupid it was and how I was just going to go back to eating meat anyway. There were more things going on than that in our "friendship" that made it break apart, but that was a big part of it. I like tolerance.

Now, my best friend is vegetarian, and attempts to be vegan. The only reason she's not fully vegan is because her parents won't let her... And she's kind of obsessive about high fashion, but she said she's not going to get leather/suede stuff anymore (Coach purses, Uggs... etc.)! My other really close friend is vegetarian... Unless she hasn't stopped eating fish yet? I'll have to ask her. And another one of my friends is vegetarian.
#8 Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

My friends are OK with it, and even know to read the sour cream labels for gelatin.
#9 Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

That's some lousy friends if they're going to make fun of you or say mean things about your diet.

Exactly. A true friend would be supportive.
#10 Old 11-05-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I'll third that.
#11 Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Exactly.

I'm guessing the original poster is still a kid in school. Kids can be mean. I wasn't veg in high school, but I can imagine what the teasing would have been like if I was. Actually, the crowd I hung out with back then probably would have been supportive, just because they were big fans of any sort of non-conformity.

As for "friends" making fun of your being veg, I suggest asking them to their face if they're really your friends, and if they are, why are they being so mean. If that doesn't make them realize how rude they've been and apologize, then just say goodbye and go find new friends.

--Fromper

#12 Old 11-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Beginner

I pretty much have 4 friends, my girlfriend is a vegetarian forced to eat fish by her parents, another one who is vegetarian, an omni, and an omni which family can't afford to have 2 different meals every day, at least his parents think they don't, they probably could, but he's going veg when he leaves home.

So I only have one friend that would eat meat if he could choose, and he doesn't mind.
#13 Old 11-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

My friends don't really mind my not eating meat. But I don't think they'd care if I was eating meat, either.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#14 Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

one of my friends likes to make jokes. she sent me a picture of puppys in a basket with the words "free to good chef" written on the basket. the other friends dont care one way or the other. its my family who likes to "tease" me for it. really annoying.
#15 Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Beginner

Ugh, I'm glad none of my friends aren't like that. I'm kind of surprised, really... I live in a very small, lame, redneck kind of town (you cant tell I simply LOVE it here, right?). Yet none of my friends have gone beyond asking a few, simple questions out of curiosity. Generally, they're all very tolerant and accommodating.

If you've really got good friends then they won't bug you about it... well, perhaps a little light hearted teasing, but good friends do that to each other . However, you need to be a good friend to them (not to say you aren't), people don't tend to be kind to those who aren't kind to them. But if your friends are really your friends, they won't sit their and mock you about your choices, etc.
#16 Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 AM

My friends are really nice about it. They have never said anything rude to me about the way I eat and if they did, I would be appalled and would definitely say something back to them. They are very sweet and will point out things I can/can't eat (even though I obviously already know) and one of my friends actually got really pissed when her boyfriend brought us pizza and it was covered in pepperoni, sausage, etc and started yelling at him about how me and my sister couldn't eat it. I felt bad for him (he had misunderstood what she wanted) but it was cute how she looked out for us.
#17 Old 11-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

My friends are all really good about me being veg*an. My best friend's now vegetarian, and my other friends are all super supportive - and some of them are totaly not animal rights orientated sort of people (one of them shoots and two of them of them fox hunt) but I've never heard a negetive word from any of them and I've been veg since my whole of secondary school. They even check ingrediants on their crisps before offering me one *blush*

I've encountered a few people who were unkind though, and my advice to you would be just to treat it like a really unimportant aspect of your life, or actually I personally favour sarcasm ("oh god no I LOVE killing animals and then eating the flesh, oh god YUM") but unfortunatly some of them can't cope with understanding sarcasm and tell people to keep away from me 'cause I'm an animal killing maniac. So I'd stick with just being casual about it. When people ask one of my friends who she's vegetarian she just says "'cause I can be" and that's that, which is quite a cool response!

I'm sure they'll forget about it anyway!
#18 Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Beginner

Some of my friends are supportive and some think it is retarded not to eat meat. All of my friends look down upon not drinking milk though!
#19 Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 AM

When people comment about my diet in a negetive I always ask them why they care so much about what I put in my mouth. I tell them that unless they want to hear my comments about their diet then they should keep quiet about mine.

That being said....sometimes people ask questions or make comments because they are curious or don't understand, so cut everyone a little slack and don't be overly sensitive about it but of course some times enough is enough.
#20 Old 11-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Beginner

I find it upsetting that people are really nonsupporting towards vegetarianism.

Everyone has a right to make their own life choices, and being veg*n is one of the best choices you can make in regards to health, the environment and spirituality.

Its people like that who I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, kind of hold back a lot of people from being vegetarian as there is that lack of support and belonging. Try and surround yourself with like minded people, or if thats not possible, just live with the fact that you know you're doing the right thing for yourself/the animals/environment- I get quite smug myself thinking about how much good health I experience while my omni friends and family complain about feeling tired and sick
#21 Old 11-12-2007, 02:19 AM

Being a vegetarian is not common in my country, so I met really few people who supported me and who understood me.
#22 Old 11-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Beginner

My mates took the mick out of me first as lads do, but now they're fine with it, was at a party for my mum and her boyfriend's engagement and invited them along, and they got some food before and warned me some of the stuff had meat in.
#23 Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm veganizing all my friends They are pretty receptive and some of them, are starting to try some veg*an stuff
#24 Old 11-12-2007, 11:33 AM

I can understand them because I (unfortunately) was one of them. Brought up in a culture that has no animal rights awareness at all, I didn't understand vegetarianism. I just found it funny that someone would not eat meat.

The thing is, they say these things and not even realize how mean things they say are. For example, whenever I go to the restaurants with my brother, he will make some kind of a sarcastic comment to the waiter/waitress: "oh he is just a fragile vegetarian."

He doesn't say that to be mean, and cannot understand how do those words affect me. Since I understand where he is coming from and because I love my brother, I just ignore comments like these.

Regarding friends, there is only few people whose opinions really matter to me and I'm lucky that they are all vegetarians/vegans...

I guess, the important thing is to keep your heads up and try not to be affected by what others have to say!

If it still bothers you, you can always find a relief @ veggieboards!
#25 Old 11-21-2007, 01:59 AM

They don't say anything because they *know* it's just another of my phases...

Dharma
#26 Old 11-22-2007, 04:50 AM

I always found it a source of entertainment that some of my "friends" would tell me how unhealthy a vegal lifestyle was yet wouldnt say a word to their friends who smoked or did drugs.

Tolerance is a funny thing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page