There was a stowaway in my spinach! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-25-2007, 01:21 AM

I was up for a midnight snack, after pondering the contents of the fridge for a few moments, I remembered that my wife and I just bought a huge bag of fresh organic spinach. I was a few leafs in when I found a 5 inch piece of grass. I set it aside to show my wife in the morning and went back to my chomping when I came across an even bigger weed. It was all clean and prepped to eat but it was certainly not spinach. This made me remember once when I found a poor little inch work in my steamed veggies. My mom brought home Chinese food one night and mine had an extra surprise.

What kind of unexpected guests have you found on your plate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2007, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I must be lucky! Never found surprises in my food. However, I've been food poisoned 10 times and one incident nearly killed me. It probably won't surprise you to learn they were all Taco Bell or McDonald's food.
#3 Old 10-25-2007, 06:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Only one incident I can think of: About 15 years ago, when I was working at a hospital, I got a big green salad with chicken in it for lunch (this was when I was still an omni) and found a dead bug in the salad. The others at the table made the usual jokes about the "extra protein", but I couldn't finish the salad or get those salads from the hospital cafeteria ever again.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2007, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

When I was a kid I bit into a green bean from our garden and a (now deceased) worm came out. I didn't eat green beans for years.

A couple months ago I made a gorgeous taco salad, went to take a bite, and a lovely green inch worm was on my fork. He had survived the lettuce washing and the chickens got to eat my gorgeous taco salad, because I sure wasn't eating it at that point.
#5 Old 10-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I worked in a restaurant for a while in the past and once found a live snail in the middle of a head of Romaine, peacefully chomping away.
#6 Old 10-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

When I worked in a pasta/pizza resto in Montréal (pizzédélic, for those of you who know it - yumm), I was working in the kitchen, and every morning I had to wash and spin maybe 30 or 40 bags of spinach. One morning, I found a live ladybug in there! How cool! The people at my work made fun of me for it, but I brought him home, and he lived out his days in the plants in my living room.
#7 Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

oh, I just remembered something else that occurred even more remotely in my past, sometime about 1980 or 1981. I was working at my first job in a medical building, and I stopped into the pharmacy before beginning my shift and bought a Rocky Road, a big soft candy bar with marshmallow inside and chocolate outside. A couple of hours later, I bit into the candy bar, and a worm poked its head through the marshmallow center and waved hello at me. I complained to the receptionist, and she said to take it back to the pharmacy. When I did, the pharmacist refused to do anything and just said, "that's what happens when you buy a candy bar in the summer." WTF?

That guy was an asshat.

*this space not for sale*
#8 Old 10-25-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy 6-Pack View Post

I must be lucky! Never found surprises in my food.

I must be lucky, too! (And I am very grateful!)
#9 Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

oh, god. I can never trust any kind of food ever again. not even chocolate!!!!!

If I found a worm in anything I was eating, I would probably have to kill myself. Nothing grosses me out more than worms....*shudder*

#10 Old 10-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never had anything like this happen to me, thankfully.

And I agree with lavande, if I found a worm in anything I was eating... *shudder*
#11 Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Baby Love

I found a cigarette butt in the bottom of my happy meal.
#12 Old 10-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I share apples from my tree with worms all the time... Usually the worms have left, but there's still evidence the worm was there.
#13 Old 10-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Not on my plate, but I found some foreign guys inside an organic iceberg lettuce.
#14 Old 10-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

"that's what happens when you buy a candy bar in the summer." WTF?

Duh! Everybody knows that worms stay our of the summer heat by burrowing into marshmallow filled candy bars...
#15 Old 10-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

This isn't as good as your grass story or anything, but I bit into an organic strawberry a few weeks ago. And as I am chewing and swallowing and looking at my monitor I feel something tickley on my arm. I look down and it's this inch-long bug crawling along which I flick off instinctively.

I know, yuck, right?

Confused, I forged on reading whatever useless thing I was reading on the internet, probably from here. Then it dawned on me that it must have fallen out of the strawberry when I bit into it. It made me feel unwell and seriously question the merits of organic farming.
#16 Old 10-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Give peas a chance

I bit into a shard of metal in a Taco Bell bean burrito. It was half of an old bolt that had split. It was the first time my mother heard me swear... and my choice of words was a doozy. She was more upset at me than she was at Taco Bell. Then I took the burrito and bolt piece back to Taco Bell and asked to speak to the manager. He said sorry, then reached back and grabbed another burrito and gave it to me. I said "Whu?! Are you trying to feed me the other half of the bolt now? Gimme my 59 cents back!"

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#17 Old 10-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

a few years ago i was eating a salad, when i saw something thin and brown/black, and my brothers made fun of me, saying i always picked apart my food, and was about to eat it when my mom realized it was a cricket leg...it was a while before i had salad again
#18 Old 10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

i found a grasshopper leg in my salad a few years ago, and it was a while before i ate another salad
#19 Old 10-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh man. Don't inspect your food too closely if little visitors upset you 'cause they're everywhere...

a certain amount of "insect matter" is perfectly acceptable in manufactured foods, they have STANDARDS for it!! It's called the Food Defect Action Levels. This is the amount of insects and parts that can be included in our food without "threatening our health".

For example, chocolate can 'acceptably' have 80 insect fragments per 100g, Tomato paste, pizza, and other sauces can have 30 insect eggs per 100g OR 2 maggots per 100g...

{{{shudder}}} At least THOSE 'stowaways' aren't usually visible!
#20 Old 10-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I find little bugs, worms, etc. in my broccoli and leafy greens all the time. It doesn't bother me as long as I find them while I'm prepping and not while I'm eating. Needless to say I wash my vegetables very thoroughly.
#21 Old 10-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Lol... I eat a lot of broccoli... never seen one of this guests... I hope to not meet them in the future
#22 Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

For years, I would not let my dh plant broccoli because I knew that we would get broccoli worms and they would freak me out! I caved and this year we grew the most beautiful broccoli. It was fine all year, we even froze lots of it. I never saw one worm and I was very careful about looking for them. On the very last picking I became a little too lax. I put the broccoli in a colendar and rinced it instead of submerging it in salt water like I had been. I only used half of what he brought in and put the rest in the refridgerator for the next day. I made a lovely stir fry, everyone loved it. The next day, I took the other half out and submerged it and you guess it....broccoli worms...lots of them. Haven't touched the stuff since <gag>
#23 Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Twice I've found live lady-bugs in rocket so I set them free

Considering my phobia of all creatures slimy I would probably freak if I found a slug or something.
#24 Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a ladybug wouldn't totally bother me. A slug, a snail, or a worm (even a tiny one) would completely ruin my appetite for days.

You know, I think I found a tiny worm or something in my dandelion greens once. I was washing them and it fell into the sink. It wasn't moving, but it was this little grey wormlike thing....and oh god. I haven't eaten dandelion green since, and it's been over a year and a half.
#25 Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I've found tons of small little bugs in my salad items.

Doesn't bother me none.

I wasn't too impressed when I found a piece of a brillo pad in my hashbrowns at Ricki's though.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#26 Old 10-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think I've ever found a worm or anything like that in any food.... but I don't think it would bother me over much. If you find a worm in veggies - it's only because they're plants, and live bugs live there. Not the same as finding worms in rotten meat, or something. Plus, slimy things don't bother me - we get the hugest, coolest slugs here in our yard - they can easily be 4 or 5 inches long, and about an inch in diameter, and I have spent so much time watching them at night... It's the many legged creatures that tend to give me the willies. Gigantic centipede type thing with long legs, or spiders that move really fast. Worms, and caterpillars and slugs - I think they're cool. Particularly inch worms.
#27 Old 10-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I love bugs! I find oodles and oodles of buggies in my food and in my work (produce, organic!) Sometimes they are alive and sometimes dead. At work I put worms and such in the compost bucket, since there is about no chance of life for them in the dead, paved world outside and the compost is at least food. Ladybugs go in the indoor plants or outside (they can fly, good luck little guys!). I wash food regularly, since I don't want to eat bugs, but I resign myself to it happening some (I would rather eat bugs accidentally than poison them and then myself!) The other day there were more aphids on my broccoli than broccoli, and I rinsed the best I could... Then I just tried not to think about it.

It is very common to have bugs living in dried foods like flours, rice, etc. In my store recently they brought in live wasps (not the hornet-like stinging ones, the predator, other-bug-eating kind) to fry around the store eating the bulk foods bugs. You don't see any of them, but I think it is kind of nice thinking that the store is more like an ecosystem...

Oddly, because I resign myself to the fact that I will inadvertently eat foods contaminated by insects sometimes I will eat free food (that is expired and unsellable and such) that has honey. It is "contaminated" by insects, just that people deliberately contaminated it. I don't buy honey or food with honey, but if it is free and not supporting exploitation...

It is weird when omnis get worked up about eating bugs... Many of them get more worked up than me, and I really don't want to eat anyone. I like to think I am just more realistic about it. We can't help living, right?
#28 Old 10-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

We have a pantry moth problem, so we find eggs and maggots in our food all the time (not so much anymore--we've mostly got them under control now). We have to inspect anything not in a can or the refrigerator very carefully before cooking, so normally we find the bugs before we've ate anything (still gross, though, especially when it's a box of crackers just crawling with them). Once, though, I cooked and ate a whole package of Ramen Noodles only to find a dead maggot in the bottom of my bowl.
#29 Old 10-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh goodness.. Nothing's ever happened to me save for a little worm in my Asian pear.

But my brother, that's another story. He was eating an odwalla bar and found, get this, a little rock inside. He told the company about it and they freaked out, sending him free boxes of odwalla bars as long as he didn't sue them. Personally I thought it was kinda funny. XD

To Iria: Agh! We used to have that problem! I made the mistake of cooking some rice and then realizing that every ten grains of rice were dead maggots. They looked the same. I didn't eat any of it, luckily.
#30 Old 10-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Broccoli caterpillars were all over the garden-grown broccoli at my parents' house. My mom would ask me to go out and cut some because she knew I was the most meticulous person in the house. I'd soak the broccoli and cut it up into little pieces so the worms couldn't evade detection.

I think that lead to my mother's purchase of a steamer pot with smaller holes in the bottom...

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page