What are your reasons? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2003, 03:24 PM

Why did you become a vegetarian?

Was it because you wanted something diffrent or animal rights or you just didn't like eating animals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2003, 03:30 PM

Could you please reply to this as I would like to know why people do things.
#3 Old 09-21-2003, 03:35 PM

I did it for ethical reasons- animals & the environment. I don't want to contribute to the horror of factory farms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-21-2003, 03:42 PM

I also became a veggie for animal rights.

PS: How did you get that "Want fur? Stop shaving!" under your name?
#5 Old 09-21-2003, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamera_Fire3 View Post

I also became a veggie for animal rights.

PS: How did you get that "Want fur? Stop shaving!" under your name?

See the stuff right below the "veggieboards" logo in the top left corner? Go into "User CP" and then into "profile". You're able to change it in there.
#6 Old 09-21-2003, 03:58 PM

Thanks.
#7 Old 09-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

It's hard for me to imagine eating something that had a face. And I gave up dairy and eggs because of the way the animals in the factory farms are treated Plus, dairy makes my sinuses get clogged.
#8 Old 09-21-2003, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Primarily due to animal welfare issues here.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 09-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I went vegetarian for health reasons.
#10 Old 09-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not necessary to eat meat. You can live without it. And since I don't morally agree with killing animals, then my meat eating habit was quickly defenestrated.

i think that the only reason to eat meat is because "it tastes good" and since meat-eating in a modern society is done for pleasure at the expense of animals, then I think taht if i do eat meat again, then I may be quite selfish in doing so.
#11 Old 09-21-2003, 07:25 PM

I'm an "all of the above" person, myself. Initially it was for animal welfare, and the environment. I also deicided that eating it was disgusting. And cancer, diabetes, and heart problems run in my family.. So health is another major factor into it. But I guess it's mostly compassion on my part. Since loving animals runs in my family, too.. I just took it to another level.
#12 Old 09-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Different reasons...I stopped eating red meat as well as most other meat a long time ago, cause I think it tastes gross. I also knew about how cows are bad for the environment. I never really drank milk much cause it tastes gross, and then when I was like 14 or 15 I stopped having milk/most dairy because I found out that I'm severly lactose intolerent(oh yeah, that's what those horrendous stomach pains were..). After finding that out I decided that milk is evil, and read up a bit about how it's unhealthy, as well as just the thought of it is gross! Blech, just the thought of drinking from a cow boob, ew. I didn't like the taste of fish much, but then I worked in the fish section of a couple pet stores for years, and just the thought of eating dead fish grosses me out now! To me eating fish is like eating your pet dog or something. With eggs- One day I just started thinking about what eggs were, and how as a female I have eggs in me..and it just freaked me out!!! I mean, gross, it's like eating the eggs inside yourself. I dunno, just the idea of them freaks me out. When I joined here, I had just given up chicken/any other small amounts of meat left in my diet, cause...I just decided I wanted to be totally veggie After reading Fast Food Nation, made me give more thought to things. I started thinking more about the gross **** they put in chickens, like the hormones and all that crap, seems unhealthy to me. At first I was just going to buy Kosher or Organic chicken but they figured I'd just cut it out totally. Anyway, plus I really love animals, so in general I feel like I should be nice to them
#13 Old 09-22-2003, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

It just seemed like a good idea overall, to me.

For ethics, the environment, health, just everything.

It's all good.
#14 Old 09-22-2003, 01:25 AM
Banned

I went veg because it is trendy these days.
#15 Old 09-22-2003, 02:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

I went veg because it is trendy these days.

LOL I wish it was!

Firstly animal welfare reasons. Now there are so many more reasons that I would never want to go back... like environment, health etc, but primarily, ethics.
#16 Old 09-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I had issues with eating meat from as far back as I can remember. It always seemed wrong and disgusting. But, thoughts like "almost everyone does it, so it must be ok" and "what else would I eat?" held me back for some time. I stopped eating red meat around 14 years old, cut out all meat at 21yo. I do it for ethical reasons mainly, and because I find it revolting. All the other (health & enviroment) reasons are a bonus though.
#17 Old 09-22-2003, 02:44 AM

Initially it was for health reasons. As I started researching veganism through reading books, it became more about reverence for life.
#18 Old 09-22-2003, 03:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Ethical/health reasons..... Oh how i love veg*n

#19 Old 09-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

to be cool.....

no, i did it for the animals. i love them....and also b/c dairy, meat, etc. is pretty gross.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#20 Old 09-22-2003, 02:12 PM

it always seemed rather egotistical of people to say that animals were put on the earth for us to treat how ever we wanted. there are other things for me to eat so that animals dont have to suffer, so why should i choose to promote pain and death? i just didnt want to be part of the horror and suffering anymore.

on a side note-- my brother stopped eating animals for a while because he read a book saying that the fear that animals feel right before they die is in their bodies. eating them is consuming that fear and he didnt want to do that anymore. i always found that interesting.
#21 Old 09-22-2003, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

When it comes to animals, I can't justify eating them. I don't need animal products to live and be heathy. After reading so many books about animal cruelty and what happens on the farm, I just couldn't bring myself to eat them. They weren't put here for our consumption.
#22 Old 09-22-2003, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Meat makes me naseous. That was the big reason - I was sitting at school about to bite into a hamburger and I looked at it and suddenly realized that I really didn't want to eat it. It was all greasy and meaty and I was just grossed out. I decided to try and go vegetarian and see what happened. Then I read some peta articles and other articles about the treatment of animals raised for food and swore off all meat. Especially chicken!!
#23 Old 09-22-2003, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Ethical reasons primarily

but I've noticed many other lesser benefits

(great fingernails being one.....go figure!)
#24 Old 09-23-2003, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate the meat and dairy industries. Environmental reasons, too.
#25 Old 09-25-2003, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I went veg because I was conscious of being a hypocrite: I would buy meat at the supermarket but I knew I would not kill an animal with my own hands.

When I am asked why I am veg I say, "Because I *can* live without meat."

There are lots of other good reasons, but that's how it started for me.
#26 Old 09-25-2003, 01:19 PM

I first decided to go vegetarian for environmental reasons. But my decision was also based on ethics, religion and health.
#27 Old 09-25-2003, 02:42 PM

It took me a long time for me to become a vegetarian. I gave up things one by one. It all began when I lived in Italy for 6 months and I felt so much healthier. I was afraid of most of their "meats" and so ate lots and lots of fresh seafood instead. When I came back to the US and my old diet, I had all kinds of digestion problems much worse than before I had left (and I was on medication for it). I tried to figure out what was so different? So I gave up all but fish for about a year. The I waited tables at Red Lobster. I stopped eating fish, but ate shellfish. Then the lobster tanks sort of got to me. I decided I needed none of it. Since then I've given up artificial sugars, regular eggs, milk (but not dairy products), sodas, white bread, ice cream made from milk, and I'm way down on most sweets. I'm sort of obsessed with health information so I keep on changing my diet from all the things I learn. But I love the animal rights aspect of it! It is a great perk to not eating animals. I feel so liberated now!
#28 Old 09-25-2003, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmarie View Post

Ethical reasons primarily

but I've noticed many other lesser benefits

(great fingernails being one.....go figure!)

Wierd! I noticed this too? I wonder what this means??
#29 Old 09-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

First for environmental and health reasons. I had no idea how wasteful meat production is.

The longer I was vegan, the more I read and thought about animal suffering. Now, I'm fully AR.
#30 Old 09-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

At first, compassion for animals (when I was vegetarian). Then as I read and thought more about it, moral reasons - animal rights (then I went vegan). At this point, even ignoring the moral and compassion reasons, I would continue as at least strict vegetarian for environmental and health reasons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page