I ate a chicken nugget - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I ate a chicken nugget. Two weeks ago...

See, I babysit for a little girl who will eat virtually nothing except chicken nuggets. And I was cooking her some lunch and I was soooo hungry and for some reason the chicken just smelled so good... when I ate meat that was one of the few things I actually liked. And so I just ate it. The first bit I chewed and had a hard time swallowing. Then I gobbled up the rest of it. Now I just keep thinking about how gross that was and I am disgusted.

Tell me I am over reacting, please... I realize I shouldn't necessarily have eaten the chicken but I know that the truth of the matter is that one chicken nugget in the grand scheme of things isn't the end of the world. But man, it was gross!

Has anyone else done something like this and felt so disgusted about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you should get yourself some morning star farms chick nuggets or boca chicken nuggets. They're good

I've never had that problem myself cause I'm too repulsed to even think about eating meat.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 09-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

True, I love Morningstar Buffalo wings. Mmmmmmm.... But I haven't been able to get any lately because of being a poor college student.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a SO last year who was vegan for 3 years and then one day broke down and ate an entire cheese pizza. He then proceded to get really sick, and he's been vegan ever since.

I can see wanting to eat one... but I can't imagine "gobbling up" the rest, lol!
#5 Old 09-21-2003, 02:06 PM

I stopped cooking animal products because I tend to nibble absently at whatever I'm cutting or mixing. I lick spoons, and sometimes bowls. I won't even help cook anything unvegan, anymore. I understand you, we all sometimes do things without thinking about them enough. Don't worry about it. Regret is wasteful and useless. Just do your best, and even if a chicken nugget sneaks in, once in a while, your still doing better than most people.
#6 Old 09-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I've done sumthing like that too

it was gummi bears those horrid little creatures !

Well see that day i forgot to bring my lunch to skool and had also skipped lunch that day and then my friend had a huge bag of gummi bears and they used to be my favourite and i was ssoo hungry that i ate a bunch and i knew they had gelatin in them !!

i felt so bad after kinda sick too !
#7 Old 09-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'm in the same boat... I have a bag of NON-vegan veggie cheese (DANG CASEIN!!!) in my refridgerator, and rather than throwing it away, I am finishing it. I feel a little guilty, but no one is perfect and I don't want to waste it. We all make mistakes.
#8 Old 09-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

About 2 days ago I bought a cereal bar from a vending machine at school. I couldn't read the label before I bought it, but I was sooo hungry I decided to take the risk. So I examined the label after handing over my money, and had a total mind blank -- I forgot whether Gylcerol was vegetarian or not. I knew glycerine was not, but I came to the conclusion that I was getting muddled between the two and so glycerol must've been veggie...

.. then I went to the library and looked inside a vegan cookery book, only to find that gylcerol was not veggie at all!! *Duh*
#9 Old 09-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

By the way I'd eaten the cereal bar by this point.
#10 Old 09-21-2003, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaraluna View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same boat... I have a bag of NON-vegan veggie cheese (DANG CASEIN!!!) in my refridgerator, and rather than throwing it away, I am finishing it. I feel a little guilty, but no one is perfect and I don't want to waste it. We all make mistakes.

I think we all have momentary breakdowns. Whether it is with vegetarianism or some other aspect of our lives. Remember Gandhi also had his time of eating meat and he grew up in a culture of vegetarianism. I think the main thing is if someone asked you to go out and kill a chicken what would you say. Or would you ask someone else to go out and kill a chicken for you. I don't think you would.

My breakdown came about 2 years into my vegetarianism (10 years now) when I was in France (I'm from Canada).

I was staying in with some nuns in a big monestary. I had bought myself a can of lentils and went to the kitchen to ask for a can opener. I was going to have a lovely picnic in the sun in the south of France (Lourdes). The nuns had made some lentil dish (coincidence) and insisted I have that instead. They probably felt sorry for me. I told them in my crappy french "Je ne mange pas le viande". They said sure and brought me the lentils. I could see little bits of meat in it. Like most omnis they thought meat is a steak or ribs or something. Well they were so well intentioned and so nice I didn't have the heart to say no. So I tried my best to eat only the lentils bit by bit. Now I would stand up for my much firmer beliefs.
#11 Old 09-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't beat yourself up over it.

Reminds me of the other day...I wanted to buy some gum and forgot to look at the ingredients. I picked out a 3 pack (36 pieces) of Trident White. After I'd chewed a piece or two, and throwing the packaging away, I noticed the back - it had casein! Though not a complete vegan in that I don't look at glycerin/etc, I don't eat egg or milk products. It pissed me off, but I didn't beat myself up. I gave the gum to my mom and bought some that tasted better anyway
#12 Old 09-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday I ate some cookies with eggs in them. I'm trying to quit eggs and I was doing well until then... When I first took a bite of the cookie I thought it tasted like lemon. A few bites later I realized it was the gross taste of eggs! Blech!
#13 Old 09-21-2003, 09:20 PM

It seems there's a similarity when your slips seem to occur. It happens when you're REALLY hungry. I have gotten cravings for non-vegan things also. But as soon as I eat something vegan, I'm alright and I don't have the craving anymore. So, Strawberry and some of you other people, try to eat regularly so that you're not starving, so maybe you can fight those cravings!

-LINDS
#14 Old 09-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I ate chicken soup the other day because my grandmother made dinner, when I tried to say I didn't want some she started yelling me and took it as a personal insult, so I ate it. Blah.
#15 Old 09-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, this was about four years ago, but it was still disgusting. I had been a vegetarian for about six months, and then, it was Easter and my Dad made this huuuge ham. I ate my veggie dinner, then made my way into the kitchen and proceeded to eat about six thick, pink slices of ham. OH LORD, I want to barf about it now, but I had the worst protein deficiency at the time and I think thats why I did it.

At any rate, I wouldn't touch a peice of meat for anything now. Vegan/Vegetarianism is a process, and I believe as time goes on you get stronger and stronger in your belief and willpower, too. Don't beat yourself up, just move forward.

lovenlight,

linz
#16 Old 09-22-2003, 12:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I ate turkey my second Thanksgiving as a vegetarian. I really wish I hadn't. It was the year my step-mom and grandmother didn't make much for me to eat because they and my dad were on the atkins diet at the time (I remember iceberg lettuce, corn, and a dinner roll being my only options--they had the dinner rolls for us kids because they knew we'd want something bread-like). I didn't eat it at home, but later on, we went to a friend's house and I ended up eating it there. I didn't physically get sick from it, but I really beat myself up about it for a while.

Since then, I've learned that if I want to be a vegetarian and not give up my ideals to a hungry tummy, I have to cook for myself. I bring my own food to family parties and holiday dinners now. If I can't bring anything, I always request something for myself (there was a church dinner last year I went to, the entree was rice w/chicken in a cream sauce, so I just asked the sister in charge of cooking if she would just make some plain rice on the side for me and she did--the rest of the meal was fine--there was cheese, bread, fruit, some salad, and a dessert I could eat).

If you're not going somewhere special, make sure you always have a snack with you or that you're not hungry before you go. Eat breakfast, eat lunch, and eat dinner. Plan a snack or two. Don't let tempation be a problem--it's easy to decline meat or another food you don't want if you've already eaten, you can simply say, "Thanks, but I just ate." If it happens again, don't let it bother you too much. Unfortunately, it happens to all of us. Just remember, almost all of the time you're doing your best to help animals by not eating them, which is better than what most people do.
#17 Old 09-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I ate jelly beans 2 weeks after being vegetarian but I didn't know about gelatin and then my sister told me AFTER watching me eat them
#18 Old 09-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I got a salad last night from a fast food restaurant that shall remain nameless and specifically asked them if there was meat on it. The assured me that there wasn't. I got home and started eating it and looked down and saw a big pile of ham in my salad. To say I was repulsed was an underestatiment especially since I probably ate some ham and didn't realize it. It happens - just keep fighting the good fight.

I would highly recommend Morning Star Farms chicken nuggets - I keep a box in my freezer at all times and I think they are tastier than actual chicken nuggests (at least what I remember of them).
#19 Old 09-24-2003, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *sprout* View Post

I've done sumthing like that too

it was gummi bears those horrid little creatures !

Well see that day i forgot to bring my lunch to skool and had also skipped lunch that day and then my friend had a huge bag of gummi bears and they used to be my favourite and i was ssoo hungry that i ate a bunch and i knew they had gelatin in them !!

i felt so bad after kinda sick too !

I'm kinda lucky that way... the produce stand down the street has them, and they have corn something in them, I'll have to go look, but NO gelatin YAY!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page