why are there no veg restaurants? (This thread is 6 years old) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-16-2002, 09:36 AM

around here at least? it seems that there are pretty much no restaurants around here that serve even vegetarian foods, much less vegan...usually the only way to eat veg at a restaurant is when u get a dish without meat or have them replace the meat(like i usually get tacos with black beans instead of hamburger in them), or simply eat a salad(and they even try to sneak chicken in there too!) i just don't understand why there are no strictly vegetarian restaurants around. do u think that there is just not enough demand? i think that if someone would open a restaurant with many vegetarian meals, and they were good by themselves, then i don't think people would have a problem with it. some people around here are pretty open-minded about eating veg(females, mostly), and they want to do it for health reasons or becuz they are trying to lose weight. it just seems like an untapped market...do u have many veg restaurants around where u live?

btw - i live in a kind of suburb of kansas city, so it isn't like i live in a dinky little town without any adventurous eaters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2002, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

There is one vegetarian restaurant in the town that I live in, but I have never been to it. It is sort of a hole in the wall, and I am not sure how clean it is. Maybe I will go one day, not sure. I know that they do serve vegan pizza and I am curious...

Once we visited NY and we were in restaurant heaven! If only...
#3 Old 09-16-2002, 02:34 PM
Jon
Veggie Regular

I live just outside of Bristol in the SW of England. Bristol's population is about 500,000 and has I think two vegetarian places to eat, but they are tucked well out of the way and one is a snack bar on a community (inner city) farm. Rubbish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-16-2002, 02:36 PM

yeah, i really think that someone is missing out on a big opportunity...maybe if the bk veggie and the mcd's effort are succesful, then it will change some minds...does anyone have any stats on if the bk veggie is doing ok?
#5 Old 09-16-2002, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

We have a very popular vegetarian place, plus the all vegan Soul Vegetarian. And miscellaneous others. But I live in a highly populated metropolitan area.

I suspect that it would be hard to get a loan from a bank in a more rural area in the middle of America to open a Veg restaurant.
#6 Old 09-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Banned

The only exclusively veg resturaunt here back in the 70s (The Tao, I think their cookbook is still in print) eventually added fish due to demand and closed a while back. I've found that it is usually much easier to find vegetarian centric places. For example everything at the local burreto joint comes meatless by default with chicken as an optional add-in. We ate a t a great resturaunt in downtown Cinci over the summer that was the some way.
#7 Old 09-16-2002, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, to add, other than the all vegan place, the restaurants we have that I mentioned are vegetarian centric as Kirk described.
#8 Old 09-16-2002, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Soul Vegetarian is sooo good! In the area we have about two towns with 125,000 people and each has a vegetarian restaurant. One good, one not so good (unfortunately the "not so good" is in the town where I live). I've also heard there's a really good one in a smaller town about 1 1/2 hours from here. Been meaning to try that one out.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 09-16-2002, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

We also have a chain called Aladdin's that isn't all vegetarian, but has a lot of vegetarian stuff. They have the best lentil soup ever and they say it's strictly vegetarian. (Let's hope.)

It's all middle eastern food. Yum. Yum.
#10 Old 09-16-2002, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

we had an all veg place called the Vegetarian Zone...it sucked...it was overpriced...it closed. I have other places that have vegan options and label them as such.

Plenty of veg friendly places around here, some in walking distance.
#11 Old 09-17-2002, 02:58 AM

Thaila, you mentioned Soul Vegetarian. Where do you live? I'm pretty sure there's a Soul Vegetarian around my area, though I've never been there.

I've always believed that most people want to make the best food choices they can, for themselves and our world, but it can be tedious to do so without tremendous committment. That's why I would like to open my own all vegan food "fast food" chain! I really think it would go over, but getting the start up mony is a bit of a problem...
#12 Old 09-17-2002, 06:40 AM

I also live in a metropolitan area, and there are alot of vegetarian restaurants available. I know it must very frustrating for vegetarian's that live in areas where there aren't any restaurants that have vegetarian selections. FishAreCool your fast food chain would definitely go over well!

Peace, love and Happiness
#13 Old 09-17-2002, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

i want to open my own vegan restaurant some day. in the huge city that i live in, i have never seen an all vegetarian restaurant. hard to believe. with the massive number of vegetarians (mostly east indians who are veg because of their religion) you'd think there'd be a few!!

i mean really, why isn't there lol. it drives me crazy.

there's one vegan restaurant in the next city but i've never been, haven't had a chance yet. i was hoping to go for my birthday but i was hungover that day and our trip back from the long weekend got delayed a few hours so dinner out was a no-go.

when i want to eat out or get take out, i'm limited to subs, harvey's veggie burgers or a no-cheese veggie pizza but i'm so unbelievably sick of pizza.

that or i can get indian food, which isn't something i eat often because it's kinda expensive and they don't have many vegan options at the one nearby. orrrr chinese food but it's such a hassle cause i have to get them to alter recipes because they use egg noodles plus everything has oyster sauce and chicken powder in it. ugh. they try to argue with me every time that rice noodles without oyster sauce or chicken powder won't taste very good, even though i've ordered it like 6 times and it's really good. frustrating.

in this small town in the area i went into this health food store that i fell in love with. i was on a mission to find something specific with very little time to find it so i wasn't able to look around much but it was a huge health food store (like actual health FOOD not just a glorified vitamin store) which also had a deli and a few tables where you could order food and sit and eat. all vegetarian and vegan food. and smelled soooooooo good.

so that's what i want to open in the future, health food store with a restaurant in it.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#14 Old 09-17-2002, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in Cleveland, Fisharecool, but I believe there are Soul Vegetarians all over the country.
#15 Old 09-17-2002, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

it was a huge health food store (like actual health FOOD not just a glorified vitamin store)

i hate those stupid vitamin stores. grr.

there aren't any vegetarian restaurants where i live either. im pretty close to toronto though, and there are tons there, so it's nice...not that i go very often? but still... i like getting falafels when im out. if i can find them
#16 Old 09-17-2002, 07:31 PM

http://www.godsimmediatecontact.net/vege_house.html

Suma Ching Hai claims to be a reincarnation of Buddha and Jesus. I don't know about that, but she's a pretty darn good cook. She has a chain of restaurants across the world that exclusively feature vegetarian/vegan food.
#17 Old 09-18-2002, 03:59 AM

Those vitamin stores bother me, too, especially when they call themselves "Health FOOD" stores! Uh, where's the food?

When I was at the beach last summer, I wanted to get some fruit for my dinner. We had just arrived, so I went across the street, where I had seen a new health food store had arrived. When I got there, I immediately realized it was a vitamin store. Wouldn't have known, since the word "Supermarket" was in its name, and "vitamin" wasn't!
#18 Old 09-18-2002, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

that's so stupid lol. yup the big mall by my place has 2 vitamin stores and no health food. i buy my natural shampoo at walmart in their health food section. they carry a few things like organic cereals and pastas and things like that, more so than in either of the vitamin stores.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#19 Old 01-22-2003, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

There are no vegetarian or vegan restraunts where I live. I think they should have atleast one. The reason i think they may not have them is because they think they wont get much buisness if there are not many vegetarians or vegans or maybe nobody has expressed their opinions and nobody has thought of it?
#20 Old 01-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

but since I actually live in the suburbs, going to those places is a bit of a pain. My favorite is Sam's Gourmet Vegetarian Paradise. I believe that almost the entire menu is vegan. They have mock-meats that are so realistic it's almost scary. Some vegetarians would probably be uncomfortable eating them, because the texture, odor, and flavor is so similar to what I remember meat tasting like.

In any event, we also have Soul Vegetarian, Cafe Sunflower, and a couple of places that have cuisine from other parts of the world that are vegetarian-friendly, but not specifically catering to vegetarians.

I think a vegan fast food place would be awesome, FishAreCool. ^__^

And LadyFaile, I have had a similar experience with my favorite Chinese restaurant. Fortunately, because I'm such a frequent customer (about once a week...^^;; ) they are willing to work with me. I usually get veggie lo mein, with rice noodles and no oyster sauce, or I get veggie sushi. Yummy. XD

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#21 Old 01-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Around Canton/Akron Ohio we have these vitamin stores called "General Nutrition Center". I walked into one once and asked about a hiring policy (how old you have to be) and the lady was really snippy. "You have to be 18. Come back when you're not a minor," she said. All I saw were rows and rows of vitamins, supplements, and energy powders. Really, shouldn't basic, general nutrition come not from pills and vitamins, but from FOOD?!

We used to have an Aladdins near here... it closed down; I was so sad. But an Indian place opened up where the Aladdins had been, and I love this restaurant the Bombay Sitar!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#22 Old 10-16-2003, 12:00 PM

Hey Tofuhead,

If you feel like taking a drive, (I think it's about an hour and a half east of Kansas City), there is a GREAT vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Columbia, MO. It's called the "Main Squeeze". It's right downtown, and I've driven half way across the country twice now just to go to that restaurant...well, on my way to see my sons in New Mexico. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather go for a meal!!

Nora
#23 Old 10-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Because silly, it's Kansas City! Home of barbecue and capital of meat-munching. You need to do as my boy did and get the hell out of the mid-west. Hie thee to the veggie mecca that is the pacific northwest. If you can stand the grey winters you will be rewarded with copious veggie-friendly options.
#24 Old 10-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in Omaha and went to college in Columbia, MO, so I know the area of which you speak, Tofuhead. I found it very easy to eat vegetarian in Columbia and also in KC. Vegan isn't easy, but it's not impossible either. I'm not sure how accurate any of these links are, but here you go:

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...ity/index.html

http://www.digitalcity.com/kansascit...arch=&x=33&y=1
#25 Old 10-16-2003, 03:17 PM

Nothing in my neck of the woods, either. But in town with a population of about 30,000, we have FOUR steakhouses. And they mean STEAK. Last time I went to one (upon insistence of friends), I ate a salad and french fries. Bleech!

One Saturday I spent with friends we went out for three meals, and I had fried potatoes for all of them. Breakfast was a small diner (home fries). Dinner was a dive-bar (french fries). Late-night snack was at Denny's (salad and hashbrowns, no butter). I barfed that night. Who wouldn't?
#26 Old 10-16-2003, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Where I live, it's very difficult to find restaurants that are remotely vegetarian, let alone full vegetarian or even vegan. It's all about the meat around here and it's all about the seafood. ICK! There is only 3 places where I can find decent things to eat, though I'm very sure they're not vegan at all. Oops, I take that back. One of the places actually does have vegan options (all 2 of them) but who wants the same thing time after time?

But... if a person is willing to go "over the river and through the woods" and actually venture into Tacoma, there are some places to be found. The healthfood store (not a pill and powder shop), has a little cafe in it that has some of the best food around but that's a good 30 miles from me so I don't get to go there that often. I've also heard that there are some good places in downtown but I don't know where they are (I have an idea, though) and I don't know if they're really good or not. There are also a couple of Mexican restaurants there that have vegetarian options, but those places don't have very good food, so we don't go there that often (for some odd reason, good Mexican food is harder to find than vegan options).

Oh, and Taco Del Mar (fast food) has vegan things which is really nice because it TDMs are just about everywhere. So, it's good in a pinch but not great for all the time dining.

I've heard that there are a ton of really good places in Seattle, but I rarely go into Seattle, so I couldn't tell you.

FishAreCool, put me down as another that would love to see an all-vegan fast food place.
#27 Old 10-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

We used to have a great place called "The Zone"...it was a health food store with a vegetarian counter where you could get veg to go and a couple of small tables where you could eat inside. Unfortunately it burned down and they never rebuilt it. Most of the restaurants I frequent have vegetarian options. Hot House Bistro is a really good one because everything is really fresh...but they also serve meat dishes as well.
#28 Old 10-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

My family lives in Kansas City, and down in the Missouri part of the Ozarks. When I visit, I stock up at the new Whole Foods, and I eat in a lot!

In KC, there were a surprising number of restaurants with dishes that were easily modified to be vegetarian without resorting to salads and side dishes.

What part of Kansas City do you live in?

Ozarks, on the other hand, is a nightmare. You cannot go out and eat vegan without settling for a dry potato, steamed veggies (hold the butter!), and a salad with low-cal italian dressing at the local steakhouse. I do a trip at Whole Foods and put it in storage bags and coolers to take down to the lake house for the week.

PS - I used to look forward to my KC trips just so I could go to KC Masterpiece for dinner. How the times have changed. People in KC still look at me like an alien when I order vegan, though.
#29 Old 10-16-2003, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

My family lives in Kansas City, and down in the Missouri part of the Ozarks. When I visit, I stock up at the new Whole Foods, and I eat in a lot!

Okay, first, I would like to know where the New Whole Foods is, (do they have a deli??), and second, if people could mention what city (s) they are talking of in the posts it would be much appreciated.

I travel from the Finger Lakes area in New York State to Taos, NM about once a year (by car) and love to know of new places to stop and eat along the way. I've got a few vegdining kinda sites marked, but it helps to have posts like these. I'm vegan and usually in a hurry, so the vegan deli items are great for me..usually quick and ready to go in a hurry and eat on the way kinda stuff.

Thanks so much people. This is valuable info we are sharing here. The restaurant in Columbia MO. (The Main Squeeze), was like an oasis the couple of times I went there in the dead of summer...the best food and lemonade!!

Nora
#30 Old 10-16-2003, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I live inblackpool, england. We don't have a vegetarian restaurant. Eating vegetarian is easy wherever you go. If you're vegan, it's a little trickier.

But we don't have a vegetarian restaurant. Kinda annoying, actually.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page