why are there no veg restaurants? (This thread is 6 years old) - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 10-20-2003, 09:22 AM

Ellwood Thompsopn's the biggest HFS in Richmond (VA) has Vegan and Vegetarain items in the deli like Cookies, Muffins, Krispy Treats, Banana Bread, Cajun Baked Tofu, Vegan Breakfast sandwiches, Vegan sandwiches paninis, Burgers, falafel, samoas, etc. They aslo have Vegan items on the salad bar. There are supposed to be Vegan restaurants in Charlottsvile, I have never been to them, also Panda Garden in Richmond that has Vegan Meats available to put in thei stir fries. I think there are more Vegetarian Restaurants, I hardly go out to eat. I have been to Ruby Tuesday's and their Veggie Burger is good and so are the fries.... I usually stick with Ellwood Thompson's. Oh, I went to Whole Foods in C'ville and it was a big disappointment compared to Ellwood's. I think there are more HFS in C'ville, I will have to look for them on the next trip and when I will go to a Vegan Restaurant there I will report back to you.....

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-20-2003, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

There is at least one really great vegan restaurant in Boston, although I don't remember the name. And a couple of other vegetarian restaurants (one is in Allston or Brighton, I think).

In Tucson, Arizona, Govinda's is a really great vegetarian and vegan restaurant. It is run by a Hare Krishna group, and is open to all. The food is layed out buffet style, all you can eat, with different theme nights. Nice atmosphere. Price is very reasonable. If you're in the area, I highly recommend it. My brother, who lives there and is a vegetarian also, has scouted out the scene. He took me to another really good veg. restaurant there, thought I can't remember the name of that one either (but I could find out, if anyone needs info about that area or Boston).
#33 Old 03-06-2004, 01:57 AM

There's no vegetarian places as far as I know, but I've been told there's one on the South side of Jacksonville. I'd really like to see if this place actually exists one day.

When I go out to eat with others, especially at seafood resturaunts or steakhouses, I normally order garden salads with oil & vinegar dressing, specify whether or not the vegetables or rices are cooked in butter or beef/chicken stock before ordering, or edit the meals on the menu to my liking. I always end up sharing fried mushrooms or onions with my party and using cocktail dip alongside my salad and (small choice of) vegetables. Of course, it sucks having to eat a salad when you're frankly just not in the mood for it, and it sucks even more having to eat fried appetizers as a main course at some places.

You'd think people would choose a more diverse place to eat when a vegetarian's tagging along, but no, I guess not. I mean, STEAKHOUSES of all places.

At Moe's Southwest Grill, I ordered their Art Vandalay (vegetarian) minus the cheese and sourcream, then added mushrooms, peppers, and onions. They also have a few other vegetarian items on the menu, but cheese is the main part of the meals, so the Art Vandalay is the best option for the vegan out there wanting something less bland. I was just surprised I was able to get something for quick takeout that was completely VEGAN and good, well, aside from the veggie sub at Subway. I thought it was worth a mention for those of you out there that have a Moe's.

Anyway, I empathize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-06-2004, 03:04 AM

I guess I'm blessed that there are so many veggie and vegan restaurants were I live - the SF Bay Area. Not as good as NYC but still great. There's probably a dozen different places I could go within 30 mins of my house any night of the week, and many more futher afield.

My two top places to eat out are Herbivores and Shangri-La in SF or Garden Fresh in Mountain View.
#35 Old 03-06-2004, 07:46 AM

There are a few vegetarian restaurants in Richmond, but they are not completely

vegetarian. I really like Ellwood Thhompson's, it is a HFS and it has a deli and salad bar.

There is BK that has the BK Veggie here, and there is Ruby Tuesday's with a vegan

burger, I also like to go to Don Jose's and get the veggie fajitas with no sour

cream and guacamole (it contains milk). There is a place called Panda Garden in

Richmond and they have mock meats to put in your stir fry.
#36 Old 03-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

we only have one vegetarian resturant, the peaceful dragon, and you have to drive like 6 years out into the middle of the country to get there (i'm from charlotte, the biggest city in NC, i pass a pasture filled with goats on the way there) But once you do the food in WONDERFUL! yum! we have veggie friendly places, Brixx, a pizza place will put vegan cheese on any pizza for no extra charge, a gelato place near my house has all fruit flavors, rose and champagne flavors, and a few others dairy free and vegan, and then there its sweet sweet wonderful thai food! so even with only the one veg. resturant its not so bad.
#37 Old 03-14-2008, 09:48 AM

I know! It isnt fair! I live in St Louis, and I keep reading on sites people saying *this place somewhere in the city, its so good, but I cant remember the name of it* well, um people THAT DOESNT HELP ME!! If I could just find a veggie friendly place around here, I would be soooo happy, tho the other day went into local grocery store and lo and behold, they hav ea a WHOLE AISLE dedicated to whole foods/organic. I was able to find Quorn products *yay!*

So anyone know of a place somewhere in St Louis (and PLEASEdont just say, oh well, it was down around Kirkwood, but cant remember the street, or the name!)

hehe, I am so mean arent I?
#38 Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Banned

this is a 6 year old thread......

you could try some of these places: http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...uis/index.html

or ask in the missouri forum:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/f...play.php?f=255 - it looks like Jinga lives round there, maybe she'll know something.
#39 Old 03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried Sweet Tomatoes, Tofuhead?

There's one in Kansas City, not far from the zoo.

It's a soup/salad/pasta/muffins place. They're not wholly veg, but they always have veg options and they label them so you can tell what's what. Choice is limited for vegans (a lot of the soups have a little cheese) but it's not Meat and Dairy Central either.

Good stuff.

btw - i live in a kind of suburb of kansas city, so it isn't like i live in a dinky little town without any adventurous eaters[/QUOTE]
#40 Old 03-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Beginner

There are about 25 vegetarian restaurants in my town that I've heard of, but only one is vegan. There's also one vegan hot dog stand.
#41 Old 03-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobluemoons View Post

Hey Tofuhead,

If you feel like taking a drive, (I think it's about an hour and a half east of Kansas City), there is a GREAT vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Columbia, MO. It's called the "Main Squeeze". It's right downtown, and I've driven half way across the country twice now just to go to that restaurant...well, on my way to see my sons in New Mexico. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather go for a meal!!

Nora

Yoikes! Where Where Where specifically? I'm in Columbia regularly and hadn't found a full bore veg place. What style of food?

Thank you Nora!
#42 Old 03-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheyen View Post

I know! It isnt fair! I live in St Louis, and I keep reading on sites people saying *this place somewhere in the city, its so good, but I cant remember the name of it* well, um people THAT DOESNT HELP ME!! If I could just find a veggie friendly place around here, I would be soooo happy, tho the other day went into local grocery store and lo and behold, they hav ea a WHOLE AISLE dedicated to whole foods/organic. I was able to find Quorn products *yay!*

So anyone know of a place somewhere in St Louis (and PLEASEdont just say, oh well, it was down around Kirkwood, but cant remember the street, or the name!)

hehe, I am so mean arent I?

Hey Sheyen, there's also a couple of Sweet Tomatoes in St. Louis. The one I've been to is on Olive Blvd, to the west of Forest Park.

oops, I'm sort of single-handedly over-populating this thread .... but veg food is scarce around here, we need to share.
#43 Old 03-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios View Post

Yoikes! Where Where Where specifically? I'm in Columbia regularly and hadn't found a full bore veg place. What style of food?

Thank you Nora!

Here it is! (I looked it up)

I travel through Columbia sometimes, so it's good to know... I've never been to a vegetarian restaurant.
#44 Old 03-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Holy old thread alert!

Guys, tofuhead and a lot of the posters in the first couple of pages aren't here any longer.

You can reply to them but it's highly doubtful they'll ever see it.
#45 Old 03-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

#46 Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Beginner

what about checking out this site? http://www.vegkansascity.com/
#47 Old 03-15-2008, 04:41 PM

Bios, at least you are giving me more ideas. I had heard of Sweet Tomatoes, tho I live all the way out in the boondocks . But I am willing to drive for some good vegs! Oh and someone on another site gave me the name of the place on Kirkwood (I knew there was one there!) So keep the ideas flowing Bios!
#48 Old 03-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheyen View Post

Bios, at least you are giving me more ideas. I had heard of Sweet Tomatoes, tho I live all the way out in the boondocks . But I am willing to drive for some good vegs! Oh and someone on another site gave me the name of the place on Kirkwood (I knew there was one there!) So keep the ideas flowing Bios!

I live in Kirkwood, MO and would love to help. I don't know of any 100% veg restaurants in Kirkwood, if you know one let me know! The Natural Way is a very veg friendly if not 100% veg corner grocery (http://www.thenatway.com/). They have a location on Big Bend in Webster Groves which is just next door to Kirkwood.

What types of places are you looking for? Lacto-Ovo or Vegan? I wasn't a fan of Sweet Tomatoes myself . When looking for a cheap quick meal in West County, I much prefer Noodles (Manchester Rd by the Des Peres Trader Joes) or St. Louis Bread Co (aka Panera Bread). My favorite place to eat in town is Terrene. The tofu on a stick is so good, but the overall meal price is fairly high. Schlafly Bottleworks in Maplewood is also a good place to go. They offer things like faux sausage pizza, faux chicken lasagna, and roasted veggie sandwiches. Everything on the menu without meat is noted with a little star.

Good luck finding some new great places for food. Update me an any great finds!
#49 Old 03-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

The answer is your area has a low density of veg*ns. Therefore fewer veg*n options. Come to VT and things would be different.

Veg*n options are widespread. Pure veg*n places are still rare and if you have one in town, you need to do some driving around.

"Holy old thread alert!

Guys, tofuhead and a lot of the posters in the first couple of pages aren't here any longer.

You can reply to them but it's highly doubtful they'll ever see it.

__________________"

Ohhhh.... I should have read further.
#50 Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 AM

I am not really searching for *strict* veg, I am not supposed to eat meat or soy. But alas, unable to give up cheese, sour cream etc. So I just end up eating ALOT of VEGETABLES, because what else am I going to eat? But as for going out to eat, if they have good soups, and good salad bars, I am usually pretty happy. Thanks for the ideas guys!
#51 Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, guess I can only submit the picture as a thumbnail and you have to click on it to see it. M:TG fans should get a kick out of this one.

--Fromper

LL
#52 Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Hmm, guess I can only submit the picture as a thumbnail and you have to click on it to see it. M:TG fans should get a kick out of this one.

--Fromper

That's hilarious, Fromper
#53 Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

i have the same problem here in Delaware there are no veg restaurants. Atleast that I know of.
#54 Old 03-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Boo
Banned

We had a place in our mall's foodcourt called The Garden. It had salads, fruit, veggies, pastas, etc. I loved eating there until it closed last week. Foo.
#55 Old 03-24-2008, 02:20 PM

Well, I had sort of forgotten about Q'doba here, but I am not all that crazy about them, they only have a couple of options for vegs. But I found out that Chipotle is about 15 mins from me, and they are pretty much the same thing as Q'doba, but I am going to see if they are a little bit better. YIPPIE!! Now just have to keep searching!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page