the lobster tanks - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-15-2003, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I always feel so sad when I go food shopping, and see the tank of lobsters It just seems so mean...I always wish I could set them free (but what would I do with them??). I honestly can't see how someone can go and buy this live animal with the intent of eating it. I mean I can see how people would eat most other meat, cause they really don't associate it much with a living breathing animal, but geez these guys are alive and moving! You guys may think this is odd, but the animals that I care about most (that get eaten) are sea creatures. I hate when my family(I do the food shopping) wants me to buy them fish...standing there, staring at the FISH HEADS while waiting my turn...that's so gross!! I hate standing there looking at the dead bodies of fish! Makes me want to Ok sorry, just had to rant about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2003, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I've worked at grocery stores for 6 years now. Lobster tanks have always bothered me. As of now, I pretty much have removed myself so much from it that I no longer think of it. I don't personally select lobsters from the tank, nor do I ever participate in eating them. My conscious is clear, and that's mostly what matters to me.
#3 Old 09-16-2003, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always wanted to buy one of those and not eat but let it live as my pet lobster or free it somewhere but wouldn't know where, I've seen it on The Simpsons. How much does a lobster cost usually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-16-2003, 08:25 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

There was a short film like that once. Some middle aged (half famous) woman- she then let it go in the river- but I think it was the river humber- which is kinda full of cr*p and th lobster wouldn't of survived anyway. which is kind of ironic

K
#5 Old 09-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Beginner

My boyfriend and I were just thinking about this while shopping this weekend. It's so weird, cuz when you were a kid, you thought it was so neat. Like the grocery store had it's own little aquarium. I used to sit and watch them, totally oblivious to the fact that it was just a holding tank. That these cute little lobsters were waiting to be boiled alive... aahh, the innocence of youth
#6 Old 09-16-2003, 11:30 AM

It is troubling to see that. I remember going into a Chinese grocery store a few years ago and seeing all sorts of horrific things. There was a really huge tank with live catfish crammed so tightly in the tank that there was no way at all for them to move around let alone swim. I still ate meat back then but it still bothered me so much that I had to leave the store. Then they had live crabs for people to pick and choose from. It was horrible. I would rather they had just killed the poor things so they didn't have to suffer like that anymore.
#7 Old 09-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_veggie View Post

I've always wanted to buy one of those and not eat but let it live as my pet lobster or free it somewhere but wouldn't know where, I've seen it on The Simpsons. How much does a lobster cost usually?

At redlobster we sold them cooked with sides for about 15-20 $US. So I would imagine much less at the grocery store. Trick would be you'd have to keep them in a saltwater tank long enought until they reached the size so that it would be illegal for someone to catch them again. And you'd have to release them somewhere appropriate, of course. Plus you are supporting the lobster trade.
#8 Old 09-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

It breaks my heart to see them in those tanks, especially since there's usually no room for them to move and their claws are banded together. It makes me sick to my stomach. Little do they know their fate only gets worse when they eventually get boiled alive. If only lobsters could scream in pain, I bet some people wouldn't be so heartless. But I'm sure they would still buy them if they're already dead.
#9 Old 09-16-2003, 12:47 PM

They do scream in pain when they are thrown into the boiling water.
#10 Old 09-16-2003, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_veggie View Post

I've thought that too, but in reality you'd just be supporting them having lobsters I mean they don't know you'd be buying them for that reason, it would just be supply and demand, know what I'm saying? I have a pet crawfish though, he's so cute
#11 Old 09-17-2003, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

They do scream in pain when they are thrown into the boiling water.

actually that's just steam expanding and escaping from the shell.

but I can't think on this too long. My eyes get slightly leaky when I try to think what they must go through in their last few minutes in a boiling pot of water.

(I guess I'm a wimp)

At my nephew's bris just the other day there were all kinds of WHOLE fish sliced in half from the neck to tail for people to just dig in and eat. What the hell is that all about? How could they look the fish in the eyes, mouth open in a mock scream, and just take the meat and eat joyfully?

We must be monsters to these animals.

rigmarole
#12 Old 09-17-2003, 08:50 PM

Omnis just can't see the conection between themselves to lobsters. (I can't either, really.) So to them there is no difference between a lobster and a can of pickles. Weep for those who are blind, and those who do see but don't care.
#13 Old 09-17-2003, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Whenever I pass a tank in the grocery store, my 2 yr old yells "that's mean!" She says the same thing if she sees eggs or cows milk or a fish out of water. She's a smarty!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page