Dove soap - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-03-2007, 05:24 AM

Does dove soap have animal fat in it?

(I have searched and couldn't find a straight answer!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Banned

Are you concerned with animal fat or animal products in Dove soap products?

The answer is some Dove products do contain animal products in them depending on what country and which exact product you are talking about. Choose your country and product for an exact listing of ingredients: http://www.unilever.com/ourbrands/personalcare/dove.asp

Not really in your question but Dove is owned by Unilever who tests their products on animals. Part of every purchase made for a Dove Soap product goes towards a horrific animal test.
#3 Old 09-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Not really in your question but Dove is owned by Unilever who tests their products on animals. Part of every purchase made for a Dove Soap product goes towards a horrific animal test.

So, bottom line, find another product. Dove is NOT all that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Ew. Dove. Get some nice Kirk's Castile soap. It's not tested on animals and super lathery.
#5 Old 09-03-2007, 12:06 PM

Its on behalf of someone else. I buy my soap from Lush
#6 Old 09-03-2007, 12:08 PM

Oh and I did look up the ingredients but even then I couldn't tell

http://www.unilever.com/PIOTI/EN/p4....ductid=1345699

can you tell from that if any of those are animal fat?
#7 Old 09-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

stearic acid can be derived either from animal or vegetable fat, as far as I know.
#8 Old 09-03-2007, 01:54 PM

dove is a detergent and not actual soap. besides, not all soap is made from animal fat.
#9 Old 09-03-2007, 02:06 PM

Thats why I said dove soap. As in soap made by the company Dove. And I am fully aware that not all soap is made from animal fat hence asking the question in the first place!!
#10 Old 09-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought Dove was made by P&G? At any rate it's bad. Which is bad for me cause Dove is one of the few soaps/body washes, etc that I can use for more than 2 weeks at a time and not break out. Spent my whole life using it. Thankfully I'm not as sensitive. Right now I'm using St. Ives.
#11 Old 09-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

What other soaps and deoderants are good for sensitive skin. Every other soap and deoderant I break out with. Any ideas on a good animal friendly products I could use that give the same results as dove?

I figured I'd go ahead and ask the question since the conversation seems to be going in that direction anyway.
#12 Old 09-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Kiss my Face has worked out pretty well for me for soap - the fragrance free olive oil kind. Antiperspirant is tougher - Have you tried Mitchum?
#13 Old 09-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Mitchum is the best.
#14 Old 09-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I shall be looking for Kiss my Face soap the next time I go shopping. I don't think I have ever seen it.

I shall try out Mitchum deoderant too. Thanx guys.
#15 Old 09-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

burts bees has a great wild lettuce facial bar... its good for gentle cleansing, then follow up w// an exfoliator (for me,anyway, i have sensitive, slightly drier skin)

some of burts prods contain beeswax or honey, etc though.

also, does anyone kknow about basis face washes? i have used that for years now, and it always has worked well.... Comfortably clean face bar, or cleaner clean (?) face wash.
#16 Old 09-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Beginner

Kiss my Face is my favorite.
#17 Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I like a lot of the Kiss My Face products. And if you can't find them in stores, you can always shop online.
#18 Old 09-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

try looking for kiss my face in your hfs. I've seen it there. I've heard good things about it as well. I'll have to try it as well. I'm one of them weird people who's allergic to stuff like silly putty and phisoderm and soaps meant for sensitive skin people.
#19 Old 09-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I am allergic to a lot of stuff too. Right now I am using an unscented bar. Its clear and it smells like clay to me. lol
#20 Old 09-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

LOVE all of the Kiss My Face products I have tried so far! And they are not too expensive either. I get them at my local Real Canadian Superstore, in case there are any Canucks looking to find them.
#21 Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

According to the Dove website faq, they say they don't test on animals. Hmmmm. How do you even know who to believe? Honestly I've seen companies listed on PETA's "Do test" list saying they do not test at all. Does it mean they're lying or does it mean the list is outdated?
#22 Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually go with what the company says...
#23 Old 09-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Banned

I think in those cases, it means that the company itself may not test on animals but the company who owns it (the parent company) does do animal testing. So, the subsidiary, by default, is funded with money gained from testing/exploitation. Also, while Dove may not have done animal testing to make their products, they may have used the information gained by their parent company when it tested on animals since it was already there. YMMV on whether or not this concerns you.
#24 Old 09-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang~Ten~Honey View Post

I think in those cases, it means that the company itself may not test on animals but the company who owns it (the parent company) does do animal testing. So, the subsidiary, by default, is funded with money gained from testing/exploitation. Also, while Dove may not have done animal testing to make their products, they may have used the information gained by their parent company when it tested on animals since it was already there. YMMV on whether or not this concerns you.

But then don't all companies use information gained from testing on animals? Even vegan ones would end up going on information that was formerly obtained by testing.
#25 Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlebunny View Post

What other soaps and deoderants are good for sensitive skin.

i once new a (totally kick-arse) woman who used parsley leaves in her pits. no joke.

but toms of maine has a honeysuckle rose deodorant which i LOVE. they also have frangrance free and lavendar.

you can find it all over these days, even in regular grocery stores.
#26 Old 09-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Mitchum is the best.

I was looking at mitchum in the store yesterday and wondering about that. I've got Tom's, but it's just not doing much for the smell from the sweat. It'd be a good winter deoderant.
#27 Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

According to the Dove website faq, they say they don't test on animals. Hmmmm. How do you even know who to believe? Honestly I've seen companies listed on PETA's "Do test" list saying they do not test at all. Does it mean they're lying or does it mean the list is outdated?

It's confusing cause Dove is owned by P&G and P&G tests. So, does one not use any of the products owned by a company that tests or is it okay to pick and choose so to speak.

Oops. Ok, unilever. Sorry. My bad.
#28 Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineluvr26 View Post

It's confusing cause Dove is owned by P&G and P&G tests. So, does one not use any of the products owned by a company that tests or is it okay to pick and choose so to speak.

Oops. Ok, unilever. Sorry. My bad.

But see wouldn't not buying anything from them make them think no one cares about if they don't test? But if they see lots of people buying their untested products only, they'll think "Hmm there's really a market for this". That's my philosophy at least- the best way to get someone to do something is support their good behaviors, positive reinforcement!
#29 Old 10-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

Dove contained a patented, mild cleansing ingredient, into the soap category. It was positioned then and now as a "beauty bar" with one-fourth cleansing cream that moisturizes skin while washing as opposed to the drying effect of regular soap. Advertisements reinforced the message by showing the cream being poured into the beauty bar. In 1979, the phrase "cleansing cream" was replaced with "moisturizer cream". In 1979, a Pennsylvania dermatologist showed that Dove dried and irritated skin significantly less than ordinary soaps, based on which Unilever started aggressive marketing and won more than 24% of the market by 2003.

----------------

Stephanieluis

Guaranteed ROI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page