Father may go vegetarian! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

For a very long time, my stepfather has teased me to no end about vegetarianism. But tonight, he said to me "Hey Zina I might go vegetarian!" I thought he was kidding. He's all about hamburgers and junk foods. Turns out he's thinking about it so he can lose weight. He cares nothing about animal suffering, which ticks me off quite a bit.

He asked me the health benefits of vegetarianism versus a meat diet. My answers were a bit vague because I don't know much about the subject. So can you guys maybe give me some sort of list on the health benefits of vegetarianism? I'd read up a bit on it but I'm a bit busy as of late.

If I can offer a list, I might be able to convince him and reduce animal suffering :]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2007, 04:04 AM
CHJ

There are loads of benifits!

A particular one you might want to mention is the role of fibers in weight-loss.

Fibers will fill you up, without contributing to your calorie intake. Therefor, a meal with lots of fibers will make you feel satiety, even though the energy intake is quite low.

Lentils are great for a vegetarian weight-loss diet. Green lentils contain as much as 30% fiber. Cook them, and put them in a blender with spinach, vegan "milk", tomatoes and spices. It will make a great pastasauce. (just remember to use wholegrain pasta).
#3 Old 08-25-2007, 04:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks! Hopefully the fiber thing might help. My stepdad probably doesn't know what a lentil is. I've never actually eaten them myself.

I should mention my stepdad grew up eating a very meat based diet on a farm. He hates mushrooms, and dislikes many kinds of vegetables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2007, 07:15 PM

If you do a quick google search "reasons to go vegetarian" a bunch of links will go up (Theres one site, called '101 reasons to go veg'). Most of the sites put them in catorgories of health/enviorment/animals. If you just copy and paste the health ones from all the sites to a word document, and show it to him or print it out, it shouldn't take that long.
#5 Old 08-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

If you do a quick google search "reasons to go vegetarian" a bunch of links will go up (Theres one site, called '101 reasons to go veg'). Most of the sites put them in catorgories of health/enviorment/animals. If you just copy and paste the health ones from all the sites to a word document, and show it to him or print it out, it shouldn't take that long.

Thank you. I printed it out and handed it to him. Hopefully it will point him in the right direction.
#6 Old 08-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

I've heard over and over that if you go to vegetarianism thinking you're going to lose a lot of weight, you're not. I lost 15 pounds, but some people gain weight because they increase their consumption of dairy, eggs, alcohol, or sugar to compensate. I'm not saying he shouldn't do it, but he needs to make sure he does it right. And if he thinks it's going to be a quick fix and he can go back to eating meat afterwards, he'll be surprised when the pounds come back faster than they came off. Plus, if you cut meat out of your diet for a while, eating meat is very harsh on the stomach and chances are he'll be sick if he started up again.. You should leave that part out... that way he isn't discouraged and he'll become a vegetarian for life

Tell him to read The China Study, he won't regret it!
#7 Old 08-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I know, I'm going to start monitoring his eating habits more so that he sticks to it. I told him that with a PROPER veggie diet he can lose weight. Hopefully he'll be wise enough to make good decisions.
#8 Old 08-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome! My dad now eats very close to vegetarian (gets meat maybe 1 time out of every 3 that we get a takeaway, and we only get a takeaway every month or so, and he eats meat when we go to family stuff, and maybe has a pepperoni pizza or fishfingers couple of weeks or so) and he seems to be doing it for weightloss, and also convenience since me and my sister are both vegetarian. He seems to have lost a bit of weight and is a lot healthier. That's probably mostly down to his massive increase in exercise, but hey, our house doesn't stink of meat so I'm not complaining!
#9 Old 08-26-2007, 02:33 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

but hey, our house doesn't stink of meat so I'm not complaining!

I cant handle the smell of cooked meat anymore at all, make me almost ill.

I went past some cafes early one morning a while back and they were doing their breakfast items with bacon, eggs and such. repulsive stench!
#10 Old 08-26-2007, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown_Windsor View Post

I cant handle the smell of cooked meat anymore at all, make me almost ill.

I know what you mean!

I gag when I wake up to the smell of bacon. It's disgusting. Such a horrible stench really.

And this is coming from a person who used to eat rare steak..

#11 Old 08-26-2007, 02:57 AM
Vegan Police Officer

This is good news.
#12 Old 08-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I've heard over and over that if you go to vegetarianism thinking you're going to lose a lot of weight, you're not. I lost 15 pounds, but some people gain weight because they increase their consumption of dairy, eggs, alcohol, or sugar to compensate. I'm not saying he shouldn't do it, but he needs to make sure he does it right. And if he thinks it's going to be a quick fix and he can go back to eating meat afterwards, he'll be surprised when the pounds come back faster than they came off. Plus, if you cut meat out of your diet for a while, eating meat is very harsh on the stomach and chances are he'll be sick if he started up again.. You should leave that part out... that way he isn't discouraged and he'll become a vegetarian for life

Tell him to read The China Study, he won't regret it!

I swear to G-d I am not stalking you, Dana.

But what you said again? Totally right. Since going totally veggie, I have lost only 6 lbs. It is not a weight loss scheme and you can gain and eat crap eating veggie too. It's a commitment to less destruction, not a weight loss regimen.
#13 Old 08-26-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

I know what you mean!

I gag when I wake up to the smell of bacon. It's disgusting. Such a horrible stench really.

Oh, God!

Bacon is the WORSE. I hate when I wake up and stumble into the kitchen really hungry..and someone woke up early to make eggs bacon and susage! There goes my appetite.
#14 Old 08-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendingRiver View Post

I swear to G-d I am not stalking you, Dana.

But what you said again? Totally right. Since going totally veggie, I have lost only 6 lbs. It is not a weight loss scheme and you can gain and eat crap eating veggie too. It's a commitment to less destruction, not a weight loss regimen.

It's all good I like stalkers, as long as they're nice If you were following me around to disagree or prove me wrong, then I'd just have to get my shotgun out and fix the problem.... muhahaha.

When I went veggie, I didn't do it to lose weight, so it was actually a shock when it happened. I lost so much weight because my diet was so horrible before. I didn't eat a ton of cheese or eggs... now that I think about it, I don't even think I ate the best. Once the weight started coming off, I wanted it to continue so I started extreme dieting. So about 3 pounds out of the 15 were from eating little. That of course came back once I started eating regular again. I lived off bean and cheese burritos and small salads.

Vegetarianism opened my eyes to health and trying new things. That's why I consider vegetarianism the best thing I ever did in my life.
#15 Old 08-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Totally. Vegetarianism and veganism opened me up to myself, both emotionally and health-wise. Best decision ever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page