Silly Question about killing bugs - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 AM

Ok, So I am completely against cruelty to animals and even capital punishment. To explain my silly question let me tell the situation:

I live in San Antonio, Texas and this spring/summer has been very mild and rainy. This is overall great cause everything is green and no excessive heat. The one bad effect is the bugs have exploded, especially crickets. They are in and out of my garage and I find the occasional one in my house. Crickets are quite harmless but my wife finds them gross and I have had to kill a few that entered my house.

Is this wrong? Are bugs exempt from the no killings philosophy most of us here share? I leave the vast majority of nature alone but when bugs enter my home I just simply swat it. Maybe its cause my wife freaks or cause my son is in the house and he is less than 2 and I don't want him touching them, but it's my immediate reaction. How does everyone else feel?

P.S I hope I don't get stoned for this, haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2007, 12:53 AM
f_m

That's up to you. Crickets don't do any harm to people compared to other bugs. When I grew up we always caught them and threw them out. Most of the other bugs are worse.
#3 Old 07-23-2007, 01:38 AM

I try catch 'whatever' and just throw them back outside, ants are tricky though, where i live the ants just go nuts when its gonna rain and they march inside, they dont bother me but sometimes if they get in the way i try not to wipe over them when i clean, but sometimes theres unavoidable collateral damage if they get all over my food prep area. But overall i think yes this should extend to all life forms, even pests, does get a little tricky tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Veggie Regular

i usually am pretty compassionate towards all bugs.

except for, really, big spiders that go in the house, like wolf spiders etc.

but even then i usually dont kill them and will try to take them outside or get my mother to.
#5 Old 07-23-2007, 02:53 AM
Beginner

I had this same question...but with mosquitoes. If they land on me and start to suck my blood, I'll kill them. I don't know if this is cruelty or self-defense, but being itchy is no fun. Or having them in your room and knowing you'll wake up with 1000 bug bites on your foot.
#6 Old 07-23-2007, 02:59 AM
Beginner

It's a very relative issue, go with you conscience.

My mom is very onmi and she always throws the bugs outside, I don't think I've ever seen her kill one, except when I was hysterical about a microscope spider.

Oh and those bugs thrown outside, they tend to get back in.
#7 Old 07-23-2007, 03:01 AM
Beginner

I agree with the mosquito thing. I try to be as compasionate as possible to all living creatures, but instinct and habit are very hard to break, so if one landed on me now I'd quite probably kill it. We also had an infestation of moths in the house recently which eventually we had to sort out using extremely drastic chemical means. I certainly didn't like that going on under my roof, but my dad is way too hardcore omni for me to even consider trying to talk him out of it. (Plus it was really getting to the stage where you had to check every single item of food for maggots).

Otherwise I try not to kill anything. I especially loath people who will actually go out of their way to squash a totally innocent insect or rip of its leg or do something else pointless and barbaric. I mean, why for f*** sake?!
#8 Old 07-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Bugs in my house I will kill (if my cats don't get to them first). I have ant baits, a fruitfly trap, and a grain moth trap. I do also set them outside sometimes (the bugs that don't get into my food), and I leave spiders alone, and their webs, because they kill the other bugs. Centipedes get killed asap just because they freak me out.

Bugs outside I leave alone.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 07-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

It definitely depends on the "bug". Parasites such as mosquitos, fleas, and ticks, I consider necessary to kill. Because of the nature of the beast, I must get rid of those.

Almost any other kind of insect or arachnid is absolutely fine outside. I sometimes will allow spiders to live inside my home as long as I don't think it's a black widow or a brown recluse. Moths are in dire danger of being hunted by my cats and I will let my cats hunt them. I don't know why, but I absolutely adore June bugs and they're rarely if ever inside. Same with cicadas.

Crickets? While I might tell you that any I found alive I would catch in a jar and let outside, these things will outbreed humane efforts or killing them individually. You may want to get pest control to spray your house.
#10 Old 07-23-2007, 07:57 AM

If it harms me or one of my pets, I might resort to killing it. I perfer not to, and if possible, I will let it outside or leave it alone. However, I kill ticks and fleas immediately. My duty to protect my animals comes before my compassion for all livivng things. I always say a quick apology and prayer, though.
#11 Old 07-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

mosquitos, fleas, ticks - i do not save those.

i actually had to kill a brown recluse that was in the house last week. it was a female and i don't want baby browns running around here. that was the only time i've gotten a little freaked from a spider.

there was a spitting spider in the bathroom a while back that i saved and took across the street to the woods. i usually save those if i see them around, other spiders, moths, whatever else.
#12 Old 07-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

mosquitos, fleas, ticks - i do not save those.

Same here, with the addition of flies and cockroaches. Those are not saved either.
#13 Old 07-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Beginner

I say go with your gut. But I'm guessing on some level it bothers you or you wouldn't be asking the question. Also, are you trying to teach your child about the value of life? There's a lesson here.

Personally, I let them all out w/ the exception of roaches. They are so vile I need to end it quickly bc I begin to feel the bile rise. Also, I do kill mosquitoes as w/ them it's kill or be killed (disease.)
#14 Old 07-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Crickets I would definitely catch and release outside. As others have mentioned, they don't make people or pets sick, don't bite, and they don't foul your food. They're easy to catch, too.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#15 Old 07-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Beginner

I have a hard time killing anything. Which is why I currently have 3 large spiders living in a corner in my room.

I also have a hard time trying to gather them and release them. I would have a heart attack if one climbed on me. Eep!

For now, I just call them my roommates.
#16 Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the initial response. Lot's of good opinions so far. In response to some of your comments:

I have had pest control come out. They have sprayed to keep them out, but the crickets are so plentiful right now it's hard to keep 100% out. If I find them in my garage I just chase them out, but the ones inside I have killed only because my wife freaks. I know they are harmless but she is silly like that.

The only other insects I will kill are of course the vile ones mentioned thus far and one addition.... Scorpions. We have little ones out here and occasionally I have found them before we moved into our house. They are sneaky buggers that sting and if they do sting you it is painful and can seriously hurt my little boy. So out of protection instinct I have killed a few of those.

Otherwise, I leave all bugs outside alone and would never go out of my way to inflict harm on any animal/bugs. That is barbaric to torture any living thing.
#17 Old 07-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

check this baby out.

not good if you have rodent pets.

http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product/16-0122
#18 Old 07-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Centipedes get killed asap just because they freak me out.

agreed.

they are the creepiest things, my best friend got out of the shower one day & when he grabbed his towel there was one wrapped up in it. now he's like deathly afraid of them and has a super bad panic attack anytime he sees one.
#19 Old 07-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I try and save any/all bugs whenever possible...if it's too big to fit in my humane bug catcher, (which is actually quite small, IMO) I grab a plastic container. The ones that don't manage to survive are any that are really big and fast...such as a centipede....They totally freak me out....I had one the other day on the wall going down to my basement...I really thought long and hard and tried to figure out a way to 'catch' it...but I just couldn't do it so he ended up meeting his maker. I also have a problem with daddy long leg spiders....if they're not too big I catch and release. If they are really big, I kill them. I have good luck catching and releasing most other bugs.
#20 Old 07-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

One of the following may contain some things that are not literally true.

1. When I have bugs in my apartment, I invite them to join a special orchestra consisting entirely of bugs. Spiders can play the saxophone (having so many legs, it is pretty easy for them) and flies play the piano, and crickets just make cricket sounds. I've travelled a lot with my orchestra, which I call Soulful Sammy & The Neon Green Leftovers, entertaining people and non-human animals all over the world. We have a new album coming out, see www.myspace.com/soulfulsammyandtheleftovers for some sample tracks.

2. I try to take all bugs outside or then leave them alone so that they can crawl into the walls in which there are many of them anyway -- which makes killing them useless.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#21 Old 07-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I also relocate bugs. The nastier spiders just get relocated farther from my house. The exceptions are very tiny bugs (aphids and the tiny black flies that sometimes come out of the houseplants) for practicality purposes and mosquitoes (self-defense). I feel bad about it every time though, even killing mosquitoes that are sucking my blood (they can't fight evolution). If the situation ever arose that I had a tick on my hands I would kill it too.

I get a lot of bugs in the produce in my work. I usually put them in the compost bucket (I figure it gives them a fighting chance) but usually the compost goes to people who keep chickens, so it might not be much of a chance... Ladybird beetles go in the plants in the store (I'd put them outside but there is zero foliage around the store and I feel that the plants are a safer, nicer place.

It is hard to be humane sometimes... We have to think about something so much more. I do let nice spiders keep their nests inside if they are out of the way.
#22 Old 07-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

i have a huge problem with bugs, especially spiders, being in my living space. my position is that if a bug is in my house it will die. when i am outdoors the bugs and i have an agreement, they leave me alone and i leave them alone
#23 Old 07-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

On friday i was stung by a wasp

first time ever... im 21 i hear thats rare haha

i sat backwards on the bus and felt like someone had stuck a needle in my arm

pulled my arm forward, flicked it off and stamped on the mother****er.

the stinger got left in (mustve hit the thing hard) eeee

i like bugs - but that goes over the line!!! no stinging me!

it fellt like i was being burnt for 36+ hours =( now i have a huge infected crater in my arm

anyhoooo

moral of the story is i leave bugs be unless they are evil

aka. mosquito, flea, wasp

yay to living where theres nothing poisonous! (sp!)

ps. spiders are cool!
#24 Old 07-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I love ladybugs, caterpillars and lightening bugs!

And moths and butterflies....
#25 Old 07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in San Antonio too and the cricket problem at work is something else. At first all my coworkers were wanting to kill them, but I'd stop them. Now we try to sweep them or push them with the side of our foot out the door, but they seem to love it in there. Nothing like watching your coworker sweep a cricket out the door and then watch them stand there with the broom and dare the cricket, who's hopping as fast as he can to get back in, to come back inside. It's hilarious.
#26 Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 PM

bugs just plain freak me out. If I'm outside in their place, as long as they leave me alone I'm fine, but if they come into my house, they're pretty much dead already. If I don't kill it, my cats will. And being the only veg in a house of 6 people, there's a pretty good chance that one of the others will kill it, too. I'm all for being compassionate to *all* animals, but they're just plain....gross
#27 Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 PM