A Lacto Ovo vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-07-2007, 08:43 AM

Im a lacto ovo veggie. And different ppl have different reasons why or why they dont eat animal product cheese and eggs. Even tho my parent r veggies 2 im really young so they encourage me to still eat some animal products like cheese. (dont ask me why) but i do ask them 2 buy soy cheese when my mom goes groccarey shopping. Also i try to only eat free rang eggs and try not to order many things with egg at resturants ect. What r other ppls feelings hear on lacto ovo vegetarians? (also if you have any terribly depressing facts to help my parents accept that im trying to signifigantly cut back on my animal product intake they would be appreciated )

thank you! =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

wow. I hope we will all be nice.

I was in the same boat in the 80s. My mom was convinced I'd die without eggs. In reality, people around my digestive system want to die if I eat eggs, but I digress.

You'll see that some people perceive L/O as a passage to being vegan, or a cop out, or worse, but reality of the veg world is lactos are huge, and out of India, the same goes for ovos (and l/o of course).

It's YOUR journey, not anyone else's, and do what resonates in your soul, fills your heart and rests easy in your intellect.

it helps to know why you are veg, how you intend to meet all nutritive needs, and cooking many dishes on your own really helps!

I was cooking for myself by 80-81, so aside from the dreaded bbq weekends when mom and step dad were around, it was almost unnoticed!

oddly, it was my former and on-again-off again veg step mom who slipped meat and broths into food.

how weird, eh? Still don't get it...maybe she felt my going veg was an indictment of her return to omni, but I learned that starting all answers with "for me..." made far less arguments.

Peace is good, especially in your homes.

since your parents are veg, you have a great foundation, and probably less hassle that the child of at least one omni.

look in their cookbooks and other books: why are they in the "must" have eggs/cheese camp? what do the texts they own tell them?

I know that it is seen as easier, but it is also "cholesterol salad."

Perhaps making eggs and cheese so low in your consumption that they easily fall away can help.

Do your parents make a lot of egg/dairy based dishes?

FWIW

I've yet to find a vegan cheese sub that is worth the effort and money.
#3 Old 07-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd definitely find out what the parents thought I was missing if I didn't eat the dairy and eggs...then show them how I'd get those things otherwise. With the exception of B12 and the very rare individual who doesn't produce enough cholesterol on her own, I don't see what you'd be missing ... unless the foods you choose have few other protein sources? I know I have zero trouble getting enough protein when I'm cooking for myself, but if I'm stuck with meat-centered restaurants for days on end I don't get as much.

Personally, I don't tend to choose dishes that feature dairy or eggs, but I don't worry about it as minor ingredients if someone else is cooking. Avoiding every bit of it is a poor return on my investment of time and emotional energy, and the thought of ingesting milk isn't inherently unappetizing to me as the thought of eating dead animal is. But that's me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

You will probably want to ask in the Vegan Forum.

The people in the Vegetarian Forum still often eat eggs and dairy products. I'm kind of like you in that I'd eat eggs if I knew the chickens were treated well and the farmers did not cull the male chicks... however I can't be arsed to find a farm that does this, so I just do without eggs for the time being. I don't trust the supermarket labels for "free range" since they don't usually mean anything and could be worse than battery caged eggs.

As for dairy, I haven't figured out my stance on that issue yet. For the time being I eat a moderate amount of dairy products.
#5 Old 07-09-2007, 08:32 PM

thanks guys! =)
#6 Old 07-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I am with the general crowd here. You are already doing quite a lot at your age (or for anyone at any age, for that matter). Instead of worrying about what you aren't cutting out at the moment (dairy and egg wise), look at how much you are cutting out. You have made a great big leap from your previous diet! Be proud of that leap!

You are the only one that can tell yourself what you want and what you agree with. Don't let anyone tell you that you are wrong. Instead, listen to your heart. If it is content, then you are content. Be happy with who you are. Be in control of who you are, and good luck!
#7 Old 07-11-2007, 09:44 PM

Show them the pictures of the chickens in cages. Tell them that only 15% of eggs in the U.S. are from cage-free chickens. Actually, If you were to cut out all dairy for a few weeks you'd become lactose-intolerant and they'd have to buy you soy or rice milk =D
#8 Old 07-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysproehlich View Post

Show them the pictures of the chickens in cages. Tell them that only 15% of eggs in the U.S. are from cage-free chickens. Actually, If you were to cut out all dairy for a few weeks you'd become lactose-intolerant and they'd have to buy you soy or rice milk =D

Wow.... I hope you were kidding. I have been vegan for two years, and I know for a fact that such a statement about dairy is untrue. Lactose-intollerence doesn't (at least, it didn't for me) just develope from lack of dairy in the diet.

However, I will agree with you on the egg part. Still, the OP is doing what she can. I applaud her no matter.
#9 Old 07-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

15% of eggs in the US are from cage-free chickens?

I would have guessed it was closer to 1%. I'm surprised.
#10 Old 07-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Aussyj, you're right. That's like saying if you cut out peanuts for a few weeks you'd develope a peanut allergy. ;p But if that person was kidding, then it's all cool
#11 Old 07-16-2007, 12:58 AM

There is absolutely no shame in being lacto-ovo, and anyone who tries to preach otherwise needs to get over themselves. Yes, I am biased as I am one myself, but your diet affects nobody but yourself. YOU need to decide what is right for you, althought I understand given your age that it might be a bit hard with your parents still dictating the household meals.

Maybe try eating dairy and eggs at home to keep the 'rents happy, then avoiding them when you eat out? This could also help you decided whether the transition for vegan is right for you when it comes time to start cooking for yourself.

And I personally don't think you should have to justify your choice to not eat dairy or eggs to your parents, it's your choice. Just remember though, they only care about you and want what they think is best for you. You are the only person who knows what that is though.

Good luck with it all!
#12 Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with what Blondie said. I've actually found that it's a lot easier to avoid dairy and eggs while you're at home rather than when eating out. It's not that you can't do it, but most restaurants barely cater to vegetarians, let alone vegans. I know your parents discourage this, but it shouldn't be any of their business, especially if you're eating healthy. Would they rather you eat fried chicken and eggs or fresh fruits and soy protein? Ask them *hehe* I wish you luck in staying a vegetarian, no matter what kind of veg you are
#13 Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie586 View Post

...your diet affects nobody but yourself.

Unfortunately this is not true at all, but I will agree in applauding the OP's vegetarianism & devotion to keep learning, especially at her young age! Good for you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page