Are you married to a Veggie, or an Omni? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Are you married to a Veggie or an Omni?
Vegetarian/Vegan 2 13.33%
Omni 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-05-2007, 02:25 PM

If you are married to a Veggie, was he/she veggie when you met them? Was that a major choice in your decision to marry him/her?

If you're married to an omni, is it challenging to make meals for both lifestyles? Do you argue about your beliefs and choices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

And what about if you aren't married?
#3 Old 07-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Married to another vegan. I don't think I could live with someone who didn't feel the same about animals as I did. We were both omni's when we met (though both wanted to be veg) and went veg*n together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought about marrying an avocado (a veggie) but I knew she wouldn't survive the honeymoon.
#5 Old 07-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you legally marry a veggie (vegetable) or an omni (everything)?

#6 Old 07-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're married to an omni, is it challenging to make meals for both lifestyles?

no. in fact, cooking is quite simple. we start with a vegan base. and then we can add to that what we want. for example, if i want cheese and eggs, i can add that. if he wants meat, he can add that.

an example meal that we commonly have is "Moroccan Night." hummus and pitas, carrot soup, salad. my husband adds chicken to that. i put feta on my salad (he does too).

my husband cooks in bulk for himself; occasionally i do it for him. he roasts two whole chickens at a time, keeping most of it in the fridge until he wants it (in containers that are glass and do not leak). he'll make a meatloaf and keep that in the fridge. he also has pickled herring that we buy. so, he alternates between these. they're accessible to him and easy to add to any meal.

my husband also eats a good number of vegetarian/vegan meals. breakfast is nearly always vegetarian for him; his snacks are typically vegetarian; and sometimes lunch or dinner will be vegetarian too. vegetarian food is good.

Do you argue about your beliefs and choices?

no. in fact, we do not have different beliefs. we both support animal welfare. i choose not to eat meat--as an aspect of this, but largely for 'spiritual' reasons. my husband chooses to eat meat because he feels it is what is best, healthiest, and "natural" to human existence (at least his).

because we are both so interested in animal welfare, my husband does not buy food from feedlots or a regular grocery store. we buy locally raised animals that are pasture raised (not in cages or small spaces), and that are slaughtered on the farm or in small-scale, family owned slaughter houses. we know the farms and farmers well, and in many cases, we even know the animals before they die. And yes, this does cause emotional distress.

i don't know how my husband makes peace with that, but he manages to do so.

we do not argue about our food choices. we are both free to choose and respectful of each other's choices. we feel comfortable with getting our animal products locally from clean, well managed, and 'humane' farms with good husbandry, raising, and slaughtering practices. so, there's really nothing to argue about.

we do discuss how to fine-tune the diets (both of ours) to have better health for ourselves, the animals, the environment, the farmers and local economy. these are very important to us. so, we are actually quite active in our discussions on this topic. but they're not arguments.
#7 Old 07-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband is a vegan! I was vegan when we started dating, then I reverted back to omni (i.e. blocked stuff out of my head for a couple of years), and then shortly after we got married I went veg again. I read up about factory farming, etc. and shared that information with him. He wasn't receptive at first, and we did have a couple of big arguments about it - I was so appalled at what I was reading, about how animals were treated...and I remember him continuing to say, "but...I LIKE meat" and it made me so angry! I just didn't see that as a valid reason, I wanted him to argue with me philosophically, but he wasn't willing.

We started eating only vegetarian at home though, and he was okay with that (since I did the cooking, and happen to be a pretty good cook if I do say so myself!)...and he would occasionally eat meat on his lunch break from work or out with friends. After a few months, he actually read a veg starter pamphlet cover to cover and FINALLY reacted the way that I had - just appalled - and told me he was going veg for himself, and wanted to become vegan someday! We are both vegan now. It DOES make life so much easier, I feel like I have an ally in him, someone who can relate to what I'm feeling. His strength of conviction makes me stronger. Plus there's no arguing about how to feed our kids!

www.veganspoonful.com
#8 Old 07-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Baby Love

I'm barely married (less than a week), but we've shared a home for several months. He is not vegetarian. Alex is what I'd call veggie-sympathic. He loves animals and has recently started cutting out certain animal products and cutting down on others. When it comes to food, he's more about liking the flavor and texture and is not so much concerned about if it's meaty or non-meaty. It's pretty easy to cook a veg meal that he'll eat. The man has even started requesting tofu! My parents are the same way. They are not vegetarian, but happily consume home-made veggie meals if the taste, texture, and variety are there. I even hosted a succesful vegan Thanksgiving for all of them last year.

Alex and I have compatible beliefs. To me it's part of the deal. I'd have a hard time being in a relationship with someone who wasn't able to see where I was coming from and vice versa.
#9 Old 07-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

I'm barely married (less than a week), but we've shared a home for several months. He is not vegetarian. Alex is what I'd call veggie-sympathic. He loves animals and has recently started cutting out certain animal products and cutting down on others. When it comes to food, he's more about liking the flavor and texture and is not so much concerned about if it's meaty or non-meaty. It's pretty easy to cook a veg meal that he'll eat. The man has even started requesting tofu! My parents are the same way. They are not vegetarian, but happily consume home-made veggie meals if the taste, texture, and variety are there. I even hosted a succesful vegan Thanksgiving for all of them last year.

Alex and I have compatible beliefs. To me it's part of the deal. I'd have a hard time being in a relationship with someone who wasn't able to see where I was coming from and vice versa.

I don't mean to hijack, but congrats on getting married Jinga! My screen name used to be Colorful, so I remember you from a few years back!

www.veganspoonful.com
#10 Old 07-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

cornflower--now it's my turn to hijack. name chances confuse me. good to see you btw!
#11 Old 07-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflower View Post

I don't mean to hijack, but congrats on getting married Jinga! My screen name used to be Colorful, so I remember you from a few years back!

The name change confused me too! ... and thank you
#12 Old 07-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing some of your personal life with me! My boyfriend and I have been dating for two years and we're very close and an excellent couple *most times!* and we have talked about getting married in a couple years or so. I just don't think I could stand to marry an omni. It would be like marrying my mother. I showed her a few pictures of dairy farms and hatcharies, and she looked at me with this disbelieving look and said "That doesn't really happen. The government would shut that place down...look how Horrible and filthy that is!"

Ya mom, your the one eating it.
#13 Old 07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I think if you absolutely love someone unconditionally, and decisions like vegetarianism come into the picture after you've started a relationship, you should be able to discuss things like mature adults and come to some sort of agreement.

It will require compromise and lots of patience and understanding, but you shouldn't have to give up on a relationship that's good otherwise, just because of this one issue - unless there are other problems already in the relationship...
#14 Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

my husband and i went vegetarian together. he went vegan first. dan noticed a huge difference in how he felt and his athletic ability improved as he was heavily involved in martial arts, cycling and rock climbing (able to withstand harder workouts, not weighed down by meat and dairy foods)

he encouraged me to go vegan as well, i too feel a difference while cycling and rock climbing. its been a great journey together.
#15 Old 07-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

not all dairy farms and hatcheries are made equal. that's why i spoke aobut the sourcing that my husband and i do. the farms are NOT like factory farms.

so, it is possible to avoid factory farming and still consume meat/dairy/eggs. but, the question comes down to a lot of factors--only which you can decide.
#16 Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

The woman I plan on marrying is vegan.
#17 Old 07-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I was married to an omni who didn't eat meat during our entire marriage and for years before we married. We're legally separated now.

She was an omni when I met her. omg was she ever an omni when I met her.

Meals were easy because omnis have no moral qualms about eating anything, so her only reason for not eating vegan would have been irrational and selfish.
#18 Old 07-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

The woman I plan on marrying is vegan.

#19 Old 07-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm engaged. Can I vote?

Harry wasn't a vegetarian when we first met, but he became one some time aftewards. He was always supportive of my vegetarianism and started researching about animal cruelty on his own, until he came to me one day and said he'd decided to go veggie. I was thrilled! A couple of months ago he also told me he was ready to go vegan. He's the most wonderful guy.
#20 Old 07-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Meals were easy because omnis have no moral qualms about eating anything.

Then WHY do they turn their noses up at anything that they discover is *gasp* VEGAN?
#21 Old 07-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry to confuse you Jinga and Zoebird! I was having technical difficulties and finally created a new account! I should probably have someone delete my old one...hmmm...

Anyway, good to see you guys too!

Zoebird, as always I am so impressed by the way your husband handles his omnivorism (is that a word?) I get what you are saying - intellectually I think his choice is totally okay - but for myself...I just wouldn't want to see the animal die! I think it's great that you have found the farm you talk about, though.

www.veganspoonful.com
#22 Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband and I dated for five years before we married. We were both ominovore at the time. Five years after we married, I became vegetarian. Two and a half years after that (about six months ago) I went vegan. Two months ago he jumped to vegan straight from omni.

I never asked him to change his eating habits or tried to "convert" him...I just lived the life best for me. He's living the life best for him. We're both terribly lucky that we share those lives with each other.
#23 Old 07-06-2007, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Then WHY do they turn their noses up at anything that they discover is *gasp* VEGAN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

...only reason for not eating vegan would have been irrational and selfish.

#24 Old 07-06-2007, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not married, but in a good relationship... so if all goes well one day i'll be married to a vegetarian! He used to be omni until we had a talk about it, and he started to think more about things. I didn't pressure him, he was genuinely interested. He's now loving it
#25 Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

My wife was a vegetarian when I met her and I gradually became a vegetarian over time. Now however she's developed Celiac disease (gluten intolerence) and soy sensitivity. As a result the number of dietary choices open to her was drastically reduced because and she's returned to a semi-onmi diet.
#26 Old 07-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not married, but I'm in a relationship with another vegan.
#27 Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not married, but my boyfriend and I have lived together for over a year and he's an omni. I cook, he eats vegetarian at home, and any children we produce will be raised veg*n. Easy

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#28 Old 07-06-2007, 12:23 PM

Wow, it seems like a lot of you are in relationships with people who are vegan/veggie as well. And so many more say that your other converted....I'm hoping that my boyfriend will, but we'll see....he does love his big, unhealthy burgers. (ick!)
#29 Old 07-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I live with a veggie...(marriage doesn't especially captivate me) does that count?

I like our animal-less fridge!

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#30 Old 07-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Beginner

I am in a forever relationship with someone. Can't officially say I'm married, but we own a house and a dog together and saying that he is my "boyfriend" doesn't quite fit. We're married in a way...it's just that neither one of us really cares about being married by the state or the church.

He is an omni. He is South-East Asian, and while his food isn't usually LOADED with meat, it almost always has at least a bit...if not actual meat, then usually shrimp paste or fish sauce.

We respect each other's beliefs. We both cook. When I cook, it doesn't have meat. When he cooks, it does. I'm going to be completely honest and say that the hardest thing for me is that he is an excellent cook, and I find myself tempted by meat over and over again. This is my problem, not his. It wouldn't be fair for me to angry at him because I feel tempted by his food!

I would never want to be with anyone other than him. If he decides to become veggie...great! If he doesn't, no big deal. I equate vegetarianism to religion, language and other such things...maybe easier if we share it, definitely surmountable if we don't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page