Christmas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I get asked this ALL the time when people find out i don't eat meat.... "What do you eat at christmas then?"

We have a nut roast on Christmas day, used to have a hazelnut tree in the garden we got nuts from... lovely!!

How about you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Beginner

Potato-cheese casserole, steamed vegetables, fruit salad, green beans, rolls, and all the pie you can shake a stick at.
#3 Old 06-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Lentils and rice, just like other days.

Unfortunately, being a single Vegan amongst omnies is not easy, and making big holiday meals is way too over-rated in my situation. That said, does anyone want to celebrate thanksgiving an Christmas with a total stranger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

Lentils and rice, just like other days.

Unfortunately, being a single Vegan amongst omnies is not easy, and making big holiday meals is way too over-rated in my situation. That said, does anyone want to celebrate thanksgiving an Christmas with a total stranger?

Yeah ok lol. I'm not a big fan of holiday meals... sunday lunch seems to be a big thing with my friends... but my sundays are far too busy for a cooked lunch!
#5 Old 06-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Beginner

I didn't realize that Christmas was the quintessential holiday where people ate charred mammals!! In my family we don't have any "traditional" meals for any holiday so every year it's different depending on where we go.

As an observation of American holidays, everyone I know is far too preoccupied with the food of said holiday. The idea of the actual holiday gets lost anyway. Threfore, I've decided to concentrate my energies on the booze instead.
#6 Old 06-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister BDSQ View Post

As an observation of American holidays, everyone I know is far too preoccupied with the food of said holiday. The idea of the actual holiday gets lost anyway. Threfore, I've decided to concentrate my energies on the booze instead.

I'll second that one
#7 Old 06-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I must be an oddball because I never really thought about having special dinners for any holiday, whether it be Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter. I usually just eat whatever I feel like.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#8 Old 06-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow... everyone around me seems to be obsessed with christmas dinner, it's like the main part of the day for them (whereas presents has always been the main part for me LOL, less so now i'm older hehe).
#9 Old 06-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

For Christmas, veg*ans can go Jewish!

Potato latkes (pancakes) topped with sour cream (either dairy or Tofutti) and applesauce (preferably homemade) is the typical dish for Chanukah and really yummy. How about making it for Christmas, too?

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 06-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

My family was always big on the food thing for special holidays...I make a few vegan dishes for myself now and bring it wherever the holiday is being celebrated....nut roasts, sweet potatoes, stuffing, brussel sprouts, polenta...whatever comes to mind at the time. Oh yeah, and definitely a vegan dessert!
#11 Old 06-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

We don't really have a Christmas feast. On Christmas Eve at my grandparents they always make a ham and set out buns... So I usually just eat the bun and side dishes. Not sure if I'll even be able to eat the bun anymore, as it probably has butter in it. Oh well, by the time Christmas rolls around I'll be an expert cookie maker, and I'll just eat those!
#12 Old 06-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quorn roast or tofurkey, homemade stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, rolls, apple pie and ice cream.
#13 Old 06-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm new to this so I haven't had to navigate a Christmas dinner yet, but I did survivie Easter dinner this year. My mom brought the ham. I just didn't eat that and filled my plate with the rest. It was much less stressful than I had anticipated.
#14 Old 06-23-2007, 04:07 PM

I grew up with an Italian mother and food is a very big part of celebrations. Be it holidays, birthdaysm whatever. So I got a lot of gasps and crazy looks for not eating most of the things cooked for holidays.

I normally just would eat whatever vegetarian friendly side dishes there were. Now that I am vega, well, it might be some trouble. Last Christmas I spent it just me and my 11 month old son. I can't even remember what we ate. LOL. Nothing special obviously. But this year for my hubby's sake I have to find something special.
#15 Old 06-23-2007, 05:41 PM

This nut roast you all speak of... what is it exactly?
#16 Old 06-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

The recipes vary...there are a few here:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...t+roast+recipe
#17 Old 06-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I walk this road for Passover, and for the usual "public Xtian" holidays, we go to an Indian restaurant.
#18 Old 06-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, last year I was eating meat and my roommate fixes turkey and ham and enough food for 20 people and there's only 3 of us. But the other week she looks at me and says "so tofurkey for you right?" and she smiles and nods her head. Okay, my mouth about hit the floor. I think she had more confidence in me than I did.
#19 Old 06-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I made eggplant roulades with tofu and spinach. My family doesn't do christmas ham or anything.. usually its a lasagna :P

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#20 Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I'm new to this so I haven't had to navigate a Christmas dinner yet, but I did survivie Easter dinner this year. My mom brought the ham. I just didn't eat that and filled my plate with the rest. It was much less stressful than I had anticipated.

Same. I haven't really thought about it that much, but I hope by Christmas I'll be an accomplished cook or something.

For Easter I made an eggplant casserole dish at my grandma's house (she's veggie too), and just had potatoes and everything but the turkey, stuffing, gravy, and ham. It was probably the healthiest holiday meal of my life XD For my mom's parent's dinner, I just brought leftovers of the casserole.

I'm hoping this is how Christmas will go.
#21 Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I think meals are a significant part of a family's culture, and represent their heritage and history. Celebrating and staying in touch with the members of our extended families is a way to better understand and relate to people around us, and a way to learn about our heritage and ancestry.

Many families don't have "special" meals together at set times or on certain holidays, but statistics show that about 80% of families worldwide, traditionally celebrate "major holidays and events" with some sort of meal together - it sounds like it's the norm. (I am not sure exactly what defines a "major holiday or event" however.)

That said, I think as veg*ns, we are responsible for our selves when it comes to the large gathering and family meal, and bringing things we can eat (whether Grandma approves or not) is always a good idea.

I have two side dishes, a salad and a dessert that are really good (even omnis like them) and are easy to transport. They're my standard addition to any celebratory meal where I'm not the cook in charge...
#22 Old 06-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you think it's going to be harder during the holidays? How many times are we going to hear something like, "It's the holiday's I'm sure you can go off your diet just this one day." As if we decided not to eat meat cause we're going on a diet.
#23 Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Beginner

I usually cook the turkey for the family, and make the usual stuffing, except I put some aside for myself that has no meat in it. And I make some extra veggies for me to eat. That way everybody enjoys the meal, and I just don't eat the meat.
#24 Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineluvr26 View Post

Do you think it's going to be harder during the holidays? How many times are we going to hear something like, "It's the holiday's I'm sure you can go off your diet just this one day." As if we decided not to eat meat cause we're going on a diet.

If I got a dime for how many times I heard that...and I've only been veggie for 3 months XD
#25 Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

If I had a penny for every time I've heard that over the years of off and on I'd be Bill Gates illegitimate daughter.
#26 Old 06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

I always end up cooking my own meal because my family loves meat. I'll eat their sides (mashed potatoes, peas, rolls) and if I don't get screamed at in the kitchen, I'll make myself a veggie patty or something. I usually end up making my own peas because my Mom dumps butter on them when they're heating. I'm not vegan, but why make something that's delicious and healthy, slimey and fatty?
#27 Old 06-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineluvr26 View Post

Shockingly, only once. At a party. It was after a month. Two years later, not once since.
#28 Old 07-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I was actually wondering about this, we're english who live in america so we dont "celebrate" thanksgiving but most of the english people we know get together and have a meal at someones house, last year was fine, i ate meat, but this year i assume i'll have to make my own vegan friendly food and take it along.

For christmas the meal is pretty important for us, it always ahs been. my family makes a big deal of getting a turkey and all the stuff to go with it and having either other family around or friends. again, i'll probs try something new this year.. i like this whole 'change' thing!

I've had "it won't kill you to eat some cheese..or an egg once in a while"; my mam still thinks people need dairy to be healthy. Oh well..
#29 Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

We spend most holidays with my side of the family - and my mom is really great about "veganizing" dishes. I am so lucky that she goes out of her way for me! She keeps a tub of Earth Balance and a box of egg replacer at her house, and my dad drinks soymilk already so that's already there. So she can easily make the mashed potatoes with earth balance and soymilk, candied yams using earth balance and no marshmallows on top, and whatever she bakes she can make with egg replacer. And she's so sweet, she always makes the stuffing with vegetable broth and then sets aside a LARGE portion for us (stuffing is my very favorite dish!) before putting the rest in the turkey. We always talk about it beforehand and I'll offer to make one or two of the side dishes. None of the dinner guests ever care or notice that they are vegan, except for my favorite Aunt, who tries to avoid dairy anyway, and is always appreciative!! Oh, and I always bring a vegan gravy mix, I love mashed potatoes and gravy and with a mix it takes only a minute!!

So, I guess I eat traditional side dishes minus the turkey for Christmas & Thanksgiving. Even as an omni it was all about the side dishes. I mean, how exciting is a slab of turkey? It's the stuffing, candied yams, potatoes & gravy, cranberry sauce, salad, and veggies that have all the flavor!!

www.veganspoonful.com
#30 Old 07-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

We spend most holidays with my side of the family - and my mom is really great about "veganizing" dishes. I am so lucky that she goes out of her way for me! She keeps a tub of Earth Balance and a box of egg replacer at her house, and my dad drinks soymilk already so that's already there. So she can easily make the mashed potatoes with earth balance and soymilk, candied yams using earth balance and no marshmallows on top, and whatever she bakes she can make with egg replacer. And she's so sweet, she always makes the stuffing with vegetable broth and then sets aside a LARGE portion for us (stuffing is my very favorite dish!) before putting the rest in the turkey. We always talk about it beforehand and I'll offer to make one or two of the side dishes. None of the dinner guests ever care or notice that they are vegan, except for my favorite Aunt, who tries to avoid dairy anyway, and is always appreciative!! Oh, and I always bring a vegan gravy mix, I love mashed potatoes and gravy and with a mix it takes only a minute!!

So, I guess I eat traditional side dishes minus the turkey for Christmas & Thanksgiving. Even as an omni it was all about the side dishes. I mean, how exciting is a slab of turkey? It's the stuffing, candied yams, potatoes & gravy, cranberry sauce, salad, and veggies that have all the flavor!!

www.veganspoonful.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page