Weight gain and vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2007, 05:19 PM

I've been meat-free for 3 days, and I feel noticeably better. I would hope that my healthier lifestyle would lead to weight loss, but maybe it won't. It seems like my mother-in-law gained 30 lbs when she quit eating meat. But it could've also been menopause. Anyone have any stories/experience?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

depends on the diet you take!

if you replace everything that you ate that was meat with cheese then yeah you'll put on weight
#3 Old 06-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Girl View Post

I would hope that my healthier lifestyle would lead to weight loss, but maybe it won't. It seems like my mother-in-law gained 30 lbs when she quit eating meat.Anyone have any stories/experience?

TIA

The caloric density of plant-based foods is (in general) much less than carnie foods. So, by going vegetarian (vegan is much better), you have a built-in advantage. However, you can easily squander that advantage by poor food selection and/or overeating, so there are no guarantees. I got fat on a vegan diet; after paying more attention to my weight and learning some basic weight management skills, I got my weight down to a healthy level and have kept it there.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I initially lost some weight, but have gained about 12 pounds since December...But I'm in the menopause category with your MIL so I don't think it has anything to do with the diet, with the exception that I find it hard to go easy on the carbs with a vegan diet. They may be complex carbs, but they're carbs nonetheless.
#5 Old 06-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Watch out for cheese and eggs. They can be crazy high in calories. I didn't start losing weight until I got closer to vegan (I'm "strict vegetarian" - no dairy or eggs). Also watch out for high fat foods like oils and avocado and a lot of the fake meat products. The fake meats are better than the non-veggie equivalent but they can still have quite a lot of calories. Make sure you load up on veggies and get some exercise.
#6 Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, watch what you eat. I lost 12 pounds after becoming a veg, but my diet before was awful. Of course, if all you eat is cheese, eggs, soda, and fried foods, you're going to gain weight. Just use common sense when eating.
#7 Old 06-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

When changing to a veg diet for health and weight management, you also need to consider the quality of the food you are choosing. Choose nutrient dense and plant based whole foods, not processed, refined and animal based. Know your calorie requirements and don't over eat. Cutting out meat, while a leap in the right direction, does not mean you are eating healthfully. congratulations on your new lifestyle change and good luck!
#8 Old 06-20-2007, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

You can easily become vegetarian and still not eat a balanced diet. Even salads aren't healthy if you cover them in ranch dressing (check out the calories on those puppies.. woah!). Eating a lot of veg convenience foods and carbs could easily lead to weight gain. I personally have remained steady... except that I lost about 15 lbs in the past 2 yrs for no reason other than I moved out of my parents house and started buying/cooking all my own food. I'm cool with that

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 06-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I weigh the same (220 lbs, 5'8) as when I went vegetarian a year ago.

(Incidentally, someone who didn't know I was vegetarian said to me last week, 'Vegetarians are so annoying and skinny'. Right. Like it's so hard to get enough calories without eating meat.)
#10 Old 06-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Just remember french fries and chips are vegetarian, but not healthy. That's the problem I have. I go vege and I start eating more junk food than I did eating meat. It's like the voices in my head said it's okay now. Bad girl.
#11 Old 06-20-2007, 04:59 PM

I definitely eat more junk food now than I did before I went veg. I havent gained or lost any weight though, but that might be just me.
#12 Old 06-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I believe it is the amount of calories you ingest and amount of exercise that will decide how much weight you can lose. Being veggie doesn't mean you will lose weight but you will definetly feel about oh I'd say 1000000% times better if you eat right.
#13 Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingVeg View Post

(Incidentally, someone who didn't know I was vegetarian said to me last week, 'Vegetarians are so annoying and skinny'. Right. Like it's so hard to get enough calories without eating meat.)

Annoying and skinny? Yeah, I may be annoying at times, but I don't always feel skinny. Damn media! I think even if I weighted -04, I'd feel fat. Not all of the time, just sometimes. I know we all have our moods when you feel unsatisfied with ourselves.
#14 Old 06-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Annoying and skinny? Yeah, I may be annoying at times, but I don't always feel skinny. Damn media! I think even if I weighted -04, I'd feel fat. Not all of the time, just sometimes. I know we all have our moods when you feel unsatisfied with ourselves.

Totally agree! Even skinny girls feel fat sometimes and it is all because of the media.
#15 Old 06-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Paris Hilton makes me feel like Rosie O'Donnell sometimes That girl needs some food... now. Are they making her eat in jail? hehehe
#16 Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Paris Hilton makes me feel like Rosie O'Donnell sometimes That girl needs some food... now. Are they making her eat in jail? hehehe

Now, now remember her sensitive stomach. Maybe a nice miso soup will cure everything.
#17 Old 06-21-2007, 02:10 PM

I lost weight when I went vegetarian, about 25 pounds. I gained back 10 of it when I went vegan.
#18 Old 06-21-2007, 05:34 PM

Perhaps they'll feed Paris Hilton some humble pie in jail...

On another note, one of the stigmas attached to being vegetarian/vegan is that people believe that just because we don't eat meat that we also don't eat ANYTHING unhealthy. What... chips and fried potatoes all of a sudden are made of meat now (oh those poor uninformed omnis...)?

I haven't eaten junk food in 2 years (ice cream, cake, pie, chips, pop, candy, chocolate, etc) and I feel absolutely wonderful. Thats not to say, however, that you shouldn't have it. All in moderation my friends... all in moderation.
#19 Old 06-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineluvr26 View Post

Now, now remember her sensitive stomach. Maybe a nice miso soup will cure everything.

I think her body is only used to excessive amounts of alcohol and fat-free lattes. I don't think she could hold down regular food *shrugs*
#20 Old 06-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Yep, it's all about moderation! I've tried to cut back on my sugar intake, but it's been hard because of stress. I don't ever think stress is an excuse to gain 100 pounds, but I maybe consume a little more than I should (without any weight gain). The second I start gaining weight, I know it and change my habits temporarly. *hehe* At this time, I may have a scoop of ice cream and a pieces of candy in a day. Sometimes I go crazy and have a few sips of soda too. Yeah... that's high for me. For most people, they have that before breakfast!

For the most part, I eat very healthy. When I make a plate, I try to make 50% of it greens, 25% protein, and 25% complex carbs. I'm pretty smart about nutrition. I love being healthy! When I ate meat, I ate almost pure junk food and never felt good (I wonder why). Besides my Fibromyalgia, I feel great most of the time!

Speaking of pie... I made a homemade apple pie with the apples from my backyard It's not the healthiest, but at least I know what is in it (no trans fat) so I know how much I can have. I love to bake! I'm a baker, but I'd rather not eat it.
#21 Old 06-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

When I went vegan, at first I found myself gaining weight because I LOVE to cook and I had this desire to try a vegan version of EVERYTHING under the sun! For instance, brownies are my husband's favorite treat, so I must have tried about 10 different brownie recipes before I found the winner! All that trial and error was not good for my waistline! LOL

But after that initial experimentation, my weight kind of leveled off. I'm not overweight, but I'm at the high end of the "healthy" range. I've recently started a jogging program which is helping me lose weight. As with any diet, a vegan diet can either help or hinder your efforts! Same common sense stuff applies - eat more fruits and veggies and unprocessed foods and go easy on the desserts and junk foods! Eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full! I think that advice would apply nomater what your diet.

www.veganspoonful.com
#22 Old 06-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm not sure why but just like last time I was vegetarian/vegan I find myself eating more junk food. I was staying away from the chips and soda, and the sugar. Only doing sugar free since I'm borderline diabetic. Well, at least I'm still doing the diet sodas and not so much. But sunday I had 3 ice cream bars cause I didn't know what brand of flavor to get. THen today I had a waffle cone sundae. Oh, and a candy bar too. Yuck!
#23 Old 06-23-2007, 10:01 AM

I used to be a junk food vegetarian. I gained about 15 pounds. I'm definitely doing much better with my eating habits, but I can't help but once in a while have some junk food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page