veganaise is awesome - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-16-2007, 12:13 PM

I have never had the stuff before. I normally make sub sandwiches and just use oil and vinegar. But I went out to the health food store and saw Smart Bacon, then I was craving a BLT (I very rarely eat fake meat. The majority of my diet is raw, and I almost never eat anything processed) I used to use mayo but I don't eat that anymore so I thought I'd try veganaise and I have to say that made the tastiest BLT I think I have ever had in my life. (of course the lack of 'death on a sandwich' probably is what made it taste better. LOL) Man, didn't know what I was missing. Thanks to this site I tried it, everyone on here seems to like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, love the stuff!! I just had a sandwich with vegannaise, avocado, onion, tomato and lettuce!!
#3 Old 06-16-2007, 01:50 PM

Ooh, I love avocado on a sandwich. Yummy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never lied mayonnaise. It's too globby. However, I do use Nayonaise or Veganaise in vegetable bread pudding and it works quite well there!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 06-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I never liked mayo either. Veganaise tastes so much better.
#6 Old 06-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I like it too. In fact, I have also made a BLT with SmartBacon and Veganaise. It was pretty good. I've even got my omni BF eating veganaise instead of real mayo.

P.S. What is vegetable bread pudding? Sounds interesting.
#7 Old 06-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I've never lied mayonnaise. It's too globby. However, I do use Nayonaise or Veganaise in vegetable bread pudding and it works quite well there!

Vegetable bread pudding??? You wouldn't happen to have a recipe you'd be willing to share, would you??
#8 Old 06-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I never like mayonnaise either. I've tried nayonnaise (sp?) and wasn't too found of it.

Then my wife started getting free artichokes from the Co-op awhile back and I got hooked on Veganaise. (For those who eat the artichokes dipped in Veganaise or previously mayonnaise).

I believe everything.
#9 Old 06-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Vegetable bread pudding??? You wouldn't happen to have a recipe you'd be willing to share, would you??

It's a recipe from Nava Atlas' The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.

http://vegkitchen.com/recipes/contem....htm#vegetable

That's a link to her website with the recipe on it. It's really quite tasty. It's a great way to use up random bits of veggies you have around. The only major changes I make are no onion, cause onion makes me ill (I just put in more other veggies), and I use leftover loaves of italian bread or baguette, a little stale, rather than sliced wheat bread, because the texture is better that way. I save my bits of stale bread and put them in the freezer for when I'm ready to make this Actually this past week I bought a HUGE stale Spelt boule at the co-op for half off and cut it up and put it in the freezer for the next (few) time(s) I make this recipe.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you, thank you!!
#11 Old 06-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Can veganaise usually be found at a supermarket, or is it usually only in health food stores?
#12 Old 06-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I've only found it in health food stores around here (Idaho and Washington in the US).

But then I don't really shop in supermarkets unless traveling and forced to...

I believe everything.
#13 Old 06-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwing View Post

Can veganaise usually be found at a supermarket, or is it usually only in health food stores?

The only place I have seen it other then health food stores is Publix. It's only in Florida though I think. I love that store. It's much closer then the health food store so my major shopping goes on there. They have all your regular grocery stuff but also lots of veg options and the only regular store that I can find 8th Continent soy milk (the only brand my toddler will drink) But other then that I don't think I've ever seen it at a regular grocery store.
#14 Old 06-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in Texas, and we have it at Kroger.
#15 Old 06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Any grocery store that has a "natural" department will probably carry it (like Kroger, Publix or Ralph's).

My favorite way to use it is this... mash up a bunch of chickpeas with a pastry blender and add some diced pickles and a couple tablespoons of vegenaise. Some ground pepper and a pinch of cayenne make it super good.
#16 Old 06-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I've seen it at Ralph's and Von's here in California
#17 Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I've seen it at Fred Meyers and Safeway in [Western] WA. In their HFD (health food department) cold case.

I don't think they have it at Albertsons or QFC, but then again, I don't shop there with any regularity so I might have missed it.
#18 Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Any grocery store that has a "natural" department will probably carry it (like Kroger, Publix or Ralph's).

My favorite way to use it is this... mash up a bunch of chickpeas with a pastry blender and add some diced pickles and a couple tablespoons of vegenaise. Some ground pepper and a pinch of cayenne make it super good.

That pasty blender looks cool. I ususally use a fork and it takes a while. One time I used a potato masher, and it mashed them too much.

I will have to invest in yet another fabulous kitchen to!

On the vegenaise topic, I had lettuce wraps with mashed chickpeas, vegenaise and green onions.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page