Veggie in Japan? Help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM

In the spring I will be studying in Japan for 4 months. While I am there I will live with a family, who most likely will not be vegetarian (most Buddhists there are not veg).

My host school wants vegetarians to be open to meat/seafood options, and I don't want to offend my Japanese family or cause them trouble. Soooo I'm stuck.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I should do when I'm there???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2007, 12:50 AM

What the hell? Your school says to eat meat? Or just be open to families with the whole eating of the meat?
#3 Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 AM
Banned

Ty to politely go through the channels and get it sorted before you go . Cant understand , was that a normal requirement from the host school regard eating meat or was because you pointed out that you were vegetarian ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Veggie Regular

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TokyoVeg

If you are around Tokyo or even not in Tokyo, this group may still help
#5 Old 06-14-2007, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular

guy "Yumy" here is also planning on going to Japan, check him.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/member.php?u=23873

He wrote me asking for help, but I have never been to Japan. I cannot do much

to help hiim I said as I do not have time to serve other people at the moment, at least not in any big transforming of files way. That which I would need to do pick out my best urls for veg living in the country. You can ask me, but be prepared for a dude

a little busy.
#6 Old 06-14-2007, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular

guy "Yumy" here is also planning on going to Japan, check him.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/member.php?u=23873

He wrote me asking for help, but I have never been to Japan. I cannot do much

to help him I said as I do not have time to serve other people at the moment,

at least not in any big transforming of files way..... That which I would need to

do picking out relevant urls for veg living in the country. You can ask me, but be prepared for a dude a little busy. I have meanwhile at least given you ONE VERY GOOD LINK SUGGESTION!!
#7 Old 06-14-2007, 03:59 AM
kat
Veggie Regular

I recently spent 2 weeks in China and got by fine. You do have to be a bit more relaxed about it, as it's be impossible to find out all the ingredients of everything. Luckily I nearly always had someone there to translate for me. Try to persuade your school to put you in a household that understands your dietary requirements. Get someone to write down in Japanese that you don't eat animals.
#8 Old 06-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's a map of Japan with 3 places marked here.... There will be other places to eat here or there; but just taking this map as an example, might encourage you to look around thru the group postings some more at TokyoVeg, and this map was got from one of the latest postings.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...g/message/1636

map name is <happy vegan spots>

his/her nickname is <veganmindbodyspirit>

FOOD MAP (its just one user's map, there are probably other individuals with similar food maps):

http://waiwai.map.yahoo.co.jp/map?mi...lme0biz8zt1bun
#9 Old 06-14-2007, 03:00 PM

thanks everyone so far. it's not that the school said "YOU MUST EAT MEAT!", but I had to fill out a lengthy questionaire about my dietary habits, and arising from the fact that I'm vegetarian they suggested to put it on a hiatus while I'm there.

I'm not necessarily going to give it up, just trying to find out ways to make this not one of my worries
#10 Old 06-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Lets us know when you know which region/(prefecture that is) you'll be going to hey, and which I suppose is according to which family you end up with. I hope the school is able to give you some background or lets you email them directly or something so you can ask to them person to person whatever your host will be like.
#11 Old 06-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

www.veglovers.com/talk Check for threads on Japan here since the admin has gone to Japan (or is away there now) recently anyway.

This thread in particular is helpful as someone has done the work for you if you have a printer or mobile device to save this JAPAN VEGAN 'PASSPORT' style of showcard image (onto) !! www.veglovers.com/talk/topic.php?id=12&page

eta, whatever method of downloading, you can take with you less the VEgLovers logo at the top if you snip in image editing or such. Or with Scissors if you print it, if you don't want to suggest you have amorous veggue intentions like what the two words might be interpreted as.

("VegLovers" is the name of a date site afterall but I'm sure what the admin going to japan wrote on it will fulfill the basic message you want-- writ in Japanese characters as you can see)

You can get online a more better known source of similar kind of message showcard than this but I forget where its got. but the one above is quite striking to look at to get peoples attention at least and like I say I'm it reads well (I cannot translate it, sorry-- simply because I don't know japanese that well despite my very great interest)

Anyways, ask someone at TokyoVeg, someone there is 99% bound to know where you can get the showcard other than the VegLover one.

I got the link somewhere myself, but damn, even when being organized, information can still get misplaced on my PC.
#12 Old 06-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

www.veglovers.com/talk Check for threads on Japan here since one of the admin has gone to Japan (or is away there now) recently anyway. I think on Veglovers, there are only two admin/ a couple I think.

This thread in particular is helpful as someone has done the work for you if you have a printer or mobile device to save this JAPAN VEGAN 'PASSPORT' style of showcard image (onto) !! www.veglovers.com/talk/topic.php?id=12&page

eta, whatever method of downloading, you can take with you less the "VegLovers" logo at the top if you snip in image editing or such. Or with Scissors if you print it,

if you don't want to suggest you have amorous veggie intentions like what the two words might be interpreted as.

("VegLovers" is the name of a date site afterall but I'm sure what the admin going to japan wrote on it will fulfill the basic message you want-- writ in Japanese characters as you can see)

You can get online a more better known source of similar kind of message showcard than this but I forget where its got. but the one above is quite striking to look at to get peoples attention at least and like I say I'm it reads well (I cannot translate it, sorry-- simply because I don't know japanese that well despite my very great interest)

Anyways, ask someone at TokyoVeg, someone there is 99% bound to know where you can get the showcard other than the VegLover one.

I got the link somewhere myself, but damn, even when being organized, information can still get misplaced on my PC.
#13 Old 06-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post

I recently spent 2 weeks in China and got by fine. You do have to be a bit more relaxed about it, as it's be impossible to find out all the ingredients of everything. Luckily I nearly always had someone there to translate for me. Try to persuade your school to put you in a household that understands your dietary requirements. Get someone to write down in Japanese that you don't eat animals.

i think china and japan are different in this regard.

my boss is a veg who spent several weeks in japan and found it incredibly difficult to not eat fish because it is such a seafood based culture. even the "tofu" restaurant she went to had meat in all its dishes.
#14 Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I spent a year in Japan and it isn't always easy, but it certainly isn't a big problem.

In terms of doing a homestay your biggest problem will be meat/fish stock. I suggest learning some phrases before you go and offering to do as much of the cooking as possible.

Go being prepared to be a bit innovative, but don't work yourself up over it.

When I went I remained very strict about byproducts etc (it meant my Japanese got very good, very quickly) however, I would suggest that slipups with stock etc here and there are not worth stressing about.

Go, enjoy it, eat what you can with the family, and fill up on other food at other times.
#15 Old 06-15-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goth~UK View Post

Lets us know when you know which region/(prefecture that is) you'll be going to hey, and which I suppose is according to which family you end up with. I hope the school is able to give you some background or lets you email them directly or something so you can ask to them person to person whatever your host will be like.

The university I'm attending is in the Kansai region of the city of Hirakita (right in the middle of Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka). My family will be living somewhere in the area, no further than 45 minutes away at the most.

Also as someone had mentioned, it is a very seafood based culture food-wise. I've never had seafood, does anyone have suggestions of what is the most mild?
#16 Old 06-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

right in the middle huh, you will be 2 seconds from any place you want to go then Just take the bullet train, yahooey !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page