Thoughts and conscience... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I've been thinking about this for some time now, and maybe some other people have opinions about it?? They make all these "meatless meats" if you will, suitable for veg*ns, and they make some products so they taste, I think, exactly the same as the real meat. Just the other day I had Morning Star Farms "hotdogs", as well as "corn dogs" too and they tasted very similar to the real thing. Isn't the whole point of going vegetarian to cut out animals from your diet, and not eat meat?? I guess it's good for people who still crave the taste of meat.

It's kind of hard to explain, but I wish it didn't taste like meat. It's like I'm missing the whole point by eating things that taste like real pork or turkey or whatever it may be, because it reminds me of it and then it's like I'm not vegetarian at all because I'm still eating "meat." You probably don't know where I'm getting at but oh well. I guess it's more of a conscience thing...

~veggie4life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure I agree...mainly because I didn't give up eating meat because I didn't like the way it tasted...I like the taste of it, I'm sad to say, so if a product is made to taste like meat, but is vegan, it's fine by me. But I'm sure there are many others who see it the way you do!
#3 Old 06-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

There are many veg*ns who agree with you. I'm not one of them, but I get your point. To me, it's not much different from playing video games where I shoot people. In real life I wouldn't do such a thing, just like I wouldn't eat real meat, but I don't mind pretending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Be happy! It might taste like an animal that you once enjoyed eating, but the whole point is, you are now not eating that animal or causing that animal's death.
#5 Old 06-02-2007, 11:16 AM

I found they helped me alot in my transition period from full blown omni one day to lacto ovo vegetarian the next. I am not eating near as much of them as at first, but I feel it helped me, alot.
#6 Old 06-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I see what you mean, maybe it's as if eating fake meat is saying that meat of some sort is necessary in our diets, but I don't think there's anything wrong with eating it. You're not harming animals by eating it, and some people do find it useful when transitioning from omni to veg*n, so in a way it helps create more veg*ns, which can only be a good thing. :-)
#7 Old 06-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I think they are very helpful to those making the transition. However, i've never eaten meat, and i'm not keen on the ones which apparently taste just like the meat... might be because i know it tastes like an animal, or i just might not like it... i'm not sure myself to be honest!
#8 Old 06-02-2007, 03:35 PM

when i first tried quorn 'ham' slices it wigged me out! A lot of meat eaters bring up the point that they dont understand why veggie/vegans would want food that looks like meat. A friend cant eat linda mcartney pies as she thinks they taste too much like real meat!

What scares me a little about these fake deli meats and stuff is they must have a hefty amount of artifical flavourings, they are all heavily processed, apart from organic vegan tofu wieners from waitrose! they are awesome everyone must try them atleast once in their life
#9 Old 06-02-2007, 06:31 PM

In making a transition they are very helpful. Also, for those who like th taste of meat and live in a home with other meat eaters, it makes it a bit easier I suppose.

BUT, they say they taste like meat. I do not like the taste of plain meat. The flavor of meat comes from spices, marinades, sauces, etc. I was an omni who loved steak. But I would never eat it plain. it didn't taste good. So really, it doesn't taste like meat to me. I don't know anyone who will just eat a slab of meat without putting anything on it. I am sure there are people like that though. I have also never had a meatless "meat" that tasted like actual meat.
#10 Old 06-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Its not hard to not buy them.....

i hate when omnis argue that fake meats are stupid etc and wont listen that its the whole dead thing thats nasty and only some veggies hate the taste too (like meeee. and texture ugh)
#11 Old 06-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Beginner

With me, it's simple. I read the package. If it has dead animals in it, I don't eat it. If it doesn't have dead animals in it, then I feel free to eat it or not, depending on whether it tastes good.

It is NOT meat. No dead critter is in it. It has corn, soy, wheat, and/or whatever else... so if it tastes good, eat it. If not, don't.

IMHO.
#12 Old 06-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Vegan Police Officer

I just hate it that these so-called "fake meats" use the same terms as the "real meat" stuff, like "ham" or "turkey" or whatever.

It's giving some kind of legitimacy to eating "meat" (aka animal flesh) and I find this distasteful, and extremely counter-productive to the cause of animal rights.
#13 Old 06-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

or those names make it easier for newbies to substitute for those critter ingredients, which helps them NOT eat meat.
#14 Old 06-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in the 'it's not real meat, so I eat it' camp.

I definitely don't eat as much now as I did when I was a 'new' veg*n, but it's really helpful in getting people to stop eating meat, and even now it's good for convenience/cravings.

I also think that the title for this thread is not very descriptive.
#15 Old 06-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Veggie4life..........

I totally agree with you........ If we dont eat meat why eat pretend meat..

That grosses me out the thought of it being like real meat...

I have never had it and never will...

The whole point of me being Vegan is not to consume real animals (or their by products) and not to have anyting that resembles themm...

Thats my opiniojn anyways..
#16 Old 06-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

I just hate it that these so-called "fake meats" use the same terms as the "real meat" stuff, like "ham" or "turkey" or whatever.

I don't like that either, my boyfriend's recently become vegi and has been buying fake meats which say "meat free beef" etc... why can't it be called something else
#17 Old 06-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I have trouble getting away from those products entirely because of their convenience. Fast, filling sandwiches are a weak point in my dietary arsenal.

However, if they're not your groove, for whatever reason -- why not just quit buying them?
#18 Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I prefer they taste like flavored soy...Then again I'm not sure how close mock meats are to real meats.
#19 Old 06-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no problem with vegetarians/vegans eating faux meats. Why not? It's not actually MEAT. If you like how real meat tastes, then these are much better than actually eating real meat.

Personally, I don't like the taste of any meat (minus chicken), so I don't buy the fake because most taste extremely similar to the real thing. Besides, most of the faux meats make me violently ill, aside from veggie dogs.
#20 Old 06-05-2007, 06:32 AM

You don't have to eat fake meat. You can get protein and B vitamins from other sources, fortified cereal, nutritional yeast, supplements, nuts. You can totally avoid fake meat altogether. I've also considered this issue. Why replace meat with fake meat? What's the point of that? I like the consistency of seitan, but other kinds of fake meat are mealy and gross. We're conditioned to eat meat, we were taught that it's a necessary part of the square meal diet, leftover from the fifties. we've replaced it with fake meat to feed our comfort zones, not our bodies. whatever you do is fine. eat it, don't eat it. if it grosses you out, spit it out. If you like it, don't beat yourself up over an ideological position that has no practical application to the on-the-ground tenets of vegetarianism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page