Meat suddenly smelling good. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-08-2007, 02:04 AM

Hi all. My names Sarah, I've been a vegetarian for about 14 years now.

I loved meat growing up, was a big steak eater. However, I loved animals more and decided, around age 13, to become a vegetarian.

My parents didn't like my decision but supported me anyway. I am now 27 years old and growing concerned because all of a sudden, meat is starting to smell good again and, while I WILL resist the urge, my body is telling me to eat it.

Usually it really smells bad! This past week or so I am becoming hungry just smelling it. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

A few things that could have something to do with it:

I have undergone 3 major surgeries this past year, involving my digestion system directly. (lost my entire large intestine) The last surgery was in December.

Also, I am concerned that I may be pregnant. (very early stage) There are other signs of this as well. I think this might be the cause of my meat dilemma

I do have many digestive problems because of the surgeries, and the only reason I would ever consider eating any meat would be if I was pregnant and for some reason unable to provide the baby with proper nourishment due to my health problems. (which is unlikely)

My boyfriend is REALLY getting a kick out of me smelling his dinner all of a sudden:P lol jerk

Thanks, I'm so glad to have found a nice veggie forum

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2007, 02:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a friend in college - completely vegetarian, practicing Buddhist, BF was vegetarian and Buddhist also ... she got pregnant and ended up eating hamburgers ... I've heard of it happening ....
#3 Old 05-08-2007, 02:28 AM
Beginner

There's also that FRIENDS episode where Phoebe starts craving meat when she's pregnant... (Ok, you know you're crazy when you keep quoting friends instead of real-life example).

No seriously, Many friends of mine have shifted from sweet tooth to savory freak when they were expecting their baby. Pregnancy gives wierd cravings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2007, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeguMan View Post

Pregnancy gives wierd cravings.

One my neighbours apparently had a craving for bleach during one of her pregnancies. Ended up in hospital and nearly lost the baby. :/
#5 Old 05-08-2007, 03:53 AM

Hard as it may be, I WILL resist the urge to drink bleach..
#6 Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 AM
Beginner

I don't know if it is scientifically true but I've heard pregnancy cravings (and cravings in general) actually meant your body was craving the nutrients in the food you're wanting so badly. I'd suggest you watch your protein intake more carefully than usual. But just don't have to much soy-based products, as they make the hormones rates vary and are potential allergens.
#7 Old 05-08-2007, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

BLEACH?

Bloody hell, worst ive heard of is coal and dirt
#8 Old 05-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried Morningstar Farms Ready Strips? While it's not exactly steak, they're pretty darn good. Also try eating white navy beans and kale with lots of salt (I swear, it's really what the ham adds to the beans... not much else) and some liquid smoke (it's just burnt wood distilled into some water). You might want to have some oranges with your meal or for dessert, since vitamin C helps you absorb iron -- just a guess as to why you might be craving meat. I hope this helps. Let us know how you're doing.
#9 Old 05-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Well (early) congratualtions! If you are pregnant And welcome to VB!

I've heard of the pregnancy phenomina called pica

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pre...h/1186643.html

And there's another one too where you crave things like crayons and are actually deficient.

Considering that it's meat (which is a food for some people ) I wouldn't be too worried. Like LeguMan says, I'd up my protein intake from healthy varied sources. And Froggy has a good idea to season up some other things to give you the smokey, savory taste you might be wanting.

I love whole grain enriched pasta, with a light EVOO sauce, and smokey sesonings. Pine nuts on top and a spinach salad with roasted red and yellow peppers. That gives ya a good serving of both protein and iron with vitamin C to help it absorb. Plus, it's tastey

Hope that helps!
#10 Old 05-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I like froggy's ideas! Seriously, pregnancy does lead to weird cravings (and weird food aversions, too). It's all about finding other ways around them - go for the salty foods, or make some mushroom stroganoff in place of beef stroganoff. Look for those vegetarian cookbooks with comfort foods or try the "Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook" and see if anything there helps. When I was first vegetarian I'd have some meat cravings - a good veggie burger with the works often helped. It was usually more about the general taste or mood of the meal than it was about the meat itself.
#11 Old 05-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post

One my neighbours apparently had a craving for bleach during one of her pregnancies. Ended up in hospital and nearly lost the baby. :/

um???
#12 Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

I've heard the same thing (that vegetarians sometimes crave meat when they're pregnant). If that's true, I'm never getting pregnant. I'd rather be childless than a meat-eater again!

According to web sites, I have pica because I eat ice. Ice isn't a weird thing, it's frozen water! Dumb people.
#13 Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'm not pregnant, but lately I've been getting this weird craving for sand/rocks. Whenever I see a picture of a mountain, my mouth gets all watery.

But I never actually had the guts to try to eat it. xD I really want it though...
#14 Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyte View Post

I have undergone 3 major surgeries this past year, involving my digestion system directly. (lost my entire large intestine) The last surgery was in December.

Wow, what happened to bring this about?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 AM

I had ulcerative colitis for 10 years and couldn't control it properly with medication.. constant hospitalizations and steroids get to ya after awhile so I opted for the surgery.

Being a vegetarian has been a bit of a burden only in that the foods I eat tend to be gassy, and gas still hurts atm while my digestive system stretches to accommodate the suddenly missing piece. lol.

Have had 3 surgeries so far and I f I ever wear a bikini again I'll have to tell people I was attacked by ninjas from the scars

Thank you all SO much for your suggestions! I'm gonna hit the grocery store and grab some of the items you suggested, see if that doesn't help. Uhm.. I think I'll also grab a pregnancy test. I'd have liked to be a little more recovered before having kids but hey, you take what life throws at you.

I know my boyfriend is kind of hoping I start eating meat, especially if I AM pregnant, but I know it isn't necessary and I don't wanna :P

Thank you!!

Sarah
#16 Old 05-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I've also heard that vegetarians craving meat can mean that you need more iron. You might want to check your iron levels with a doctor and make a point of consuming extra (with vitamin C for absorbtion) if necessary.

And others have said, pregnancy sometimes causes weird cravings.

--Fromper

#17 Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

If you are preggers, I'd post around here and find other pregnant veggies to get advice from. Hopefully you can get it sorted out and find out if you really need meat or not.
#18 Old 05-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Hopefully you can get it sorted out and find out if you really need meat or not.

She won't "need" meat. But it may be proper for her to figure out the nutrients that can be found in meat that she can consume more of, if she's craving it.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#19 Old 05-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I have always liked how meat smells. My mother makes these microwavable diet food things with meat in them and they always make me hungry because the smell disperses through the house and I get all drooly in the palette and want something to eat because what she's eating smells so delicious.

Maybe being a meat-eater for 18 years did it to me. My taste has significantly changed, but how things smell to me has not.

I just make something vegan that smells really good or ignore the smell altogether or get a bite to eat ... something along these lines.
#20 Old 05-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Beginner

I've been meat-free for over 4 years, yet there are certain kinds I've always thought smelled good when they were cooking...never had the urge to eat any of it them though. Odd.
#21 Old 05-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

salt and smoke is a great idea, Froggy.

I get hungry when I smell barbecue smoke.

centuries of eating food from the fire pit programmed us well.
#22 Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM

Froggy had some good ideas!

Keep us updated.
#23 Old 05-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom was a vegetarian until she got pregnant for the first time, then she started eating meat again. Her reason for doing it was that she thought she "needed the nutrients in meat", but we all know that that is not true. I say stick with Froggy's suggestions.
#24 Old 05-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

I read on some Weight Watchers Boards (I don't know how I ended up there) this girl say she was a vegan, got pregnant, and started eating meat again.

Here's what the girl said: "I was a vegan a few years back and Loved it. I loved because I didn't have to really put much thought into what I was eating. I stopped being a vegan because my mom scared it out of me (I was pregnant) and my mom said my baby would have a small brain if I didn't eat meat. Needless to say I jumped off the vegan bandwagon and started eating meat. I gained sooo much weight in 2 months it was unreal!"

Dumb Mom! She doesn't know anything!
#25 Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard that alot of what a baby needs for brain development are good fats. This is even true after birth, and is naturally contained in the mother's breast milk. (I have a feeling I am going to be splitting this thread later on.)
#26 Old 05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I've heard the same thing (that vegetarians sometimes crave meat when they're pregnant). If that's true, I'm never getting pregnant. I'd rather be childless than a meat-eater again!

Wherever you heard that was wrong, wrong, wrong... for every "pregnant vegan starts eating meat" story theres a "pregnant omni goes vegetarian" one too... pregnancy does give you weird cravings but you do not necessarily crave meat. I've been pregnant three times and never once craved meat... None of my vegetarian friends that have been pregnant have craved it as far as I know... I think that's a bunch of omni-invented hype!

I craved very salty things like olives... and super-sweet things like Mountain Dew and cotton candy but otherwise... pretty normal stuff.

Pica is not just a craving, but actually being unable to control eating weird things like rocks, sand, laundry detergent while pregnant... THAT is from a chemical imbalance and your practitioner should ask you about it every time you visit during pregnancy to catch it if you think you may be developing it... autistic kids sometimes exhibit signs of it too...

Anyway, back on topic...
#27 Old 05-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Wherever you heard that was wrong, wrong, wrong... for every "pregnant vegan starts eating meat" story theres a "pregnant omni goes vegetarian" one too... pregnancy does give you weird cravings but you do not necessarily crave meat. I've been pregnant three times and never once craved meat... None of my vegetarian friends that have been pregnant have craved it as far as I know... I think that's a bunch of omni-invented hype!

I craved very salty things like olives... and super-sweet things like Mountain Dew and cotton candy but otherwise... pretty normal stuff.

Pica is not just a craving, but actually being unable to control eating weird things like rocks, sand, laundry detergent while pregnant... THAT is from a chemical imbalance and your practitioner should ask you about it every time you visit during pregnancy to catch it if you think you may be developing it... autistic kids sometimes exhibit signs of it too...

Anyway, back on topic...

hehe, I'm not worried. I doubt I'll ever want meat again, pregnant or not. I don't even know if I ever want kids. My nieces and nephews are a handful as it is! I have 4 nephews (newborn, 20 months, 4 years, and 7 years old) and 2 nieces (17 month old and 6 year old). I love them all so much, but by the time they leave, I'm ready for bed!

I have food cravings and I'm not pregnant... I can't imagine what would happen if I got pregnant. I'd probably eat nothing but Vegetarian Orange Peel Chicken, fruitfull bars, and Asparagus Cashew Rice Pilaf (my favorite things).

Pica is a very interesting condition. I've heard that it's a chemical imbalance too. Craving or not, I wouldn't eat anything weird.
#28 Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Pica occurs in cats too. My cat has a craving for any type of plastic bag.

ANYWAY I haven't been craving meat lately, but I have been wondering what it would be like to eat it again... besides completely disgusting and something I'm not going to do. Plus, I don't ever want kids, but the cravings surely happen.
#29 Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

More than a year ago, I started having really weird meat cravings. It got to a point where I was obsessing over it. I just gave in, had some meat, and that was it. Haven't done it since. Resisting it was literally making me crazy. I doubt I'll ever have the cravings again and if I do, I won't give in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page