Why is it (people are against vegetarians)? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Been searching for animal rights things on youtube... and searching for vegetarian groups on facebook. WHY are so many people against us? I don't get it?? There's groups with the words "save a cow, eat a crazy vegetarian", and "for every animal you don't eat, i'm gonna eat 3"... etc.

It confuses me why people have such a problem with it, i really don't understand it.. anyone shed any light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Beginner

Mainstream America does not like people to be different..

A lot of people I meet wont give me a second thought..I am a vegetarian and married and we make the choice not to have bring kids into this crazy messed up over populated world..People can't identify with people who are not like them.

It use to make me kind of sad but now I figure it's their loss.
#3 Old 04-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Being different *is* evil....did high school teach you nothing???

Besides, there's an understanding that many people are vegetarian because they think eating meat is wrong. It's not much of a stretch from there to conclude that vegetarians are judging meat eaters -- and finding them wanting. Who likes the feeling that someone else is judging you, and not approving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

it makes men feel more manly to put down those who don't want to eat dead carcus. not only are they gonna eat a cooked corpse, but brag about it, and make fun of those who dont.

any time someone makes fun of vegetarians calling them weak, etc. etc. show them this website

www.veganbodybuilding.com
#5 Old 04-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Probably blame shifting. They dont want to take the time to learn how to eat a vegan diet and give it a chance, more and more people are aware of the horrendous practices on factory farms, so to deal with their guilt and denial they point at us when their own inner conscience way deep down is pointing at themselves.
#6 Old 04-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I doubt it's blame shifting. It's mor elikely to be thatsome people just don't like people who follow different lifestyles.

Furthermore, I'd like to shift the blame onto PETA, who give vegetarians a bad name.
#7 Old 04-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

People don't like being judged.
#8 Old 04-20-2007, 08:02 PM

I used to be one of those people who were against us, until I became one of us. One word: Ignorant.

People don't know why we're vegetarian, all they know is it's an alternative life stile that most people consider extreme. So it's sort of a phobia, fear or hatred of the unknown. We're only 2% of the population, there's more of them then us.
#9 Old 04-20-2007, 08:05 PM

I used to be one of those people who were against us, until I became one of us. One word: Ignorant.

People don't know why we're vegetarian, all they know is it's an alternative life stile that most people consider extreme. So it's sort of a phobia, fear or hatred of the unknown. We're only 2% of the population, there's more of them then us.
#10 Old 04-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with thatoneguy. People are just ignorant.

We are seen as extremist, crazy, and we're different. We're the minority which makes us scary. We are to meat-eaters as black people once were to white people. We're "below" them.
#11 Old 04-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

They feel bad because they wish they were vegetarian but they are too lazy to make a switch.
#12 Old 04-20-2007, 08:26 PM

We say bad things about omnivores all the time, is it really any different than what they do to us? The only reason they get away with it is because there's more of them.

If the tables were turned and only 2% of the population ate meat, would they feel how we do?

1 time I was in a room with 2 other vegetarians and 1 omnivore, I felt so powered during those few minutes that no matter what the omnivore would say, we would get our point across. I liked that feeling. THAT'S HOW THEY FEEL ALL THE TIME.

My point is basically what I said before, they are ignorant and from what I've seen most of them like it that way.
#13 Old 04-20-2007, 08:29 PM

We say bad things about omnivores all the time, is it really any different than what they do to us? The only reason they get away with it is because there's more of them.

If the tables were turned and only 2% of the population ate meat, would they feel how we do?

1 time I was in a room with 2 other vegetarians and 1 omnivore, I felt so powered during those few minutes that no matter what the omnivore would say, we would get our point across. I liked that feeling. THAT'S HOW THEY FEEL ALL THE TIME.

My point is basically what I said before, they are ignorant and from what I've seen most of them like it that way.
#14 Old 04-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia View Post

They feel bad because they wish they were vegetarian but they are too lazy to make a switch.

That's kind of ... ridiculous.
#15 Old 04-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it is either:

a) They feel attacked by the concept of people being vegetairan. They think that by not eating meat we are trying to show that we are trying to show how much better than them we are; or,

b) they know eating meat is wrong, and vegetarians just remind them that it is immoral, or, in other words,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia View Post

They feel bad because they wish they were vegetarian but are to lazy to make a switch.

#16 Old 04-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

People are against vegetarians because they're so sad that they arent cool enough to be one themselves
#17 Old 04-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Cheers all... wow i was in a bad mood when i posted that lol, was tired and fed up.. and the comments just got to me, as i thought "what the hell have i done to them to deserve that kind of opinion about me?" I'm much better now, i really should get more sleep.

Ah yes, high school... anyone who's different gets picked on... i remember that! Lol.
#18 Old 04-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in agreement with kpickell here. I think that a lot of veggies do have the tendency to get on their high horses and think that everyone else is in awe of our lifestyles, and that they can't be bothered doing it.

I think that a good majority of the non-vegetarian opulation doesn't want to be vegetarian. So realy, it's up to us to lay off, and get on well with our omnivorous chums. 90+% of the population isn't vegetarian, so it'snot really our place to make fun of those who aren't. It's our place to say "Hey, we've got a niche here, come and join us", if only for a pint of beer and a veggie burger.

I think that really, we just have to teach people that vegetarian food isn't all that bad, and it's good to eat it so they can share a meal with a vegetarian or two. (Or when they have a dinner party, then can make the token vegetarian happy!)

I just think that there's an image in people's heads of the confrontational vegetarian, and it's up to us to dispel that image. And that, for me, requires PETA to shut the **** up.
#19 Old 04-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily~Anne View Post

Probably blame shifting. They dont want to take the time to learn how to eat a vegan diet and give it a chance, more and more people are aware of the horrendous practices on factory farms, so to deal with their guilt and denial they point at us when their own inner conscience way deep down is pointing at themselves.

This is definitely the case with some people. I grew up on a small farm. My family was once directly involved in the industry that I am now boycotting by being veg*n. There are some family members who still view me as an extremist and pose arguments for an omnivore lifestyle every time I see them. In the minds these people, accepting my way of life would mean finding fault with the farm they once ran. It is easier for them to find fault with me than it is to examine their own lives.

I have learned the hard way to just change the subject when they try to start a debate. Their minds are made up and nothing I say or do will change that.
#20 Old 04-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I think blame shifting applies to some people. But the general omnivorous population ... I doubt it.

I used to be an omnivore who never even thought about vegetarianism. I thought those that were had plenty to be proud of but I never put it in my mind that it was something I wanted to do. I don't even know why that thought never occurred to me, but it didn't.

My ignorance kept me safe behind a brick wall that didn't permit me to see what I was doing. I think this is how most omnivores are, maybe until they meet us. Some of them are perfectly willing to talk to me about why I think the industry is bad, why I reject dairy, all of that stuff that we go on and on about.

Some people will be open-minded about our choices, others will not.

Most vegetarians, however, will never accept the choices of an omnivore. We make our entire lives topsy-turvy to be veg*an and we think that it makes us better. But we're no better if we're just like them.
#21 Old 04-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

I think blame shifting applies to some people. But the general omnivorous population ... I doubt it.

I did not mean to imply that this was true of all omnis. The OP asked why some people oppose veg*ns and I was just relating my personal experience.

Quote:
Most vegetarians, however, will never accept the choices of an omnivore. We make our entire lives topsy-turvy to be veg*an and we think that it makes us better. But we're no better if we're just like them.

That is true. I think that some people who are anti-veg*n may have encountered some pushy or combative veg*ns in the past. People don't like being told what to do and how to live their lives. It is human nature to push back when confronted in this manner.

There is a short, but thought provoking article in the April 2007 issue of Veg News on page 78 called "Shine On" by Will Tuttle, Phd.

Quote:
...All cultures naturally propagate themselves through their various institutions, and ours is no different. Our scientific, religious, governmental, educational and economic institutions all reflect the same underlying mentality and reinforce it, which is why veganism is so strenuously resisted...

...Each of us is radically and profoundly interconnected with all other living beings, and by blessing, encouraging an seeing the best in others, we help everyone; conversely, by condemning or turning away from others, we harm everyone, including ourselves. Shining compassion, toward everyone, even our apparent opponents, is the essence of the benevolent revolution that is veganism. ...

#22 Old 04-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_in_Drublic View Post

It confuses me why people have such a problem with it, i really don't understand it.. anyone shed any light?

There are some psychoanalysis studies that relate to these sorts of things, but for now I'll just say:

see sig:

|

|

V
#23 Old 04-21-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I'm in agreement with kpickell here. I think that a lot of veggies do have the tendency to get on their high horses and think that everyone else is in awe of our lifestyles, and that they can't be bothered doing it.

I think that a good majority of the non-vegetarian opulation doesn't want to be vegetarian. So realy, it's up to us to lay off, and get on well with our omnivorous chums. 90+% of the population isn't vegetarian, so it'snot really our place to make fun of those who aren't. It's our place to say "Hey, we've got a niche here, come and join us", if only for a pint of beer and a veggie burger.

I think that really, we just have to teach people that vegetarian food isn't all that bad, and it's good to eat it so they can share a meal with a vegetarian or two. (Or when they have a dinner party, then can make the token vegetarian happy!)

I just think that there's an image in people's heads of the confrontational vegetarian, and it's up to us to dispel that image. And that, for me, requires PETA to shut the **** up.

#24 Old 04-22-2007, 01:24 AM

I find that it's the veggie activists that give veggies this stigma and cause this backlash.

Personally I get no grief for my diet off anyone I know, probably due to the fact that I don't go on about it or make a scene about it.

I've learnt that the best way of getting people involved is to know them for some while and then one day they'll say "geez I didn't know you where veggie".

It's makes people realise that you can be veggie and NOT be any different or eat diffrently really.

I'm totally against animal cruelty as are the vast majority of people, but i'm don't think the "Shock em" tactics help anyone and for those veggies who are long term veggies I think you'll find most are pretty laid back.

You'll convert more people to vegetarianism by being relaxed and chilled about it than going in all guns blazing in my opinoin.
#25 Old 04-22-2007, 05:47 AM
Beginner

the same reason people hate someone just because their black, or because their white, or becuase they were dark eyeliner, or have blonde hair. People cant understand that not everyone has to feel the way they do
#26 Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I think all of you are doing a lot of wishful thinking, far removed from reality!
#27 Old 04-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Beginner

I just say stop trying to figure out why people are against you and just be a vegetarian man. Goodness, don't worry about what folks think. You can't satisfy people if you tried. So just be how you wanna be and forget them.

Like for example, when I became "natural" (grew out the chemically relaxed hair from my head), people looked at my head like it was something crazy. Especially fellow black people. I use to be all upset that people didn't like my hair, but I have learned that I love it, and that's all that matters. I have to wear this hair, not them. It's find if you wanna wear you hair straightened, but for me, I like my hair in the kinky/curly state. I didn't try to persuade anyone to become natural. I was just doin' my thing and next thing I know, my twin sister started growing out her perm, and something later, my mom did it. I didn't even say to them that they should grow they're perm out.

So that's like an example that I've been through. Who cares if they're against you.
#28 Old 04-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Realistically, I think that the vegetarian movement needs to focus less on converting (especially since current methods are ineffective.) and the focus needs to be on building a respectable image for vegetarians.

What I firmly believe is that handing out blood buckets and unhappy meals is not going to do your publicimage any further. Neither is an organisation which has links to the animal liberation front. I call upon PETA to disband (Which in itself is unrealistic and/or wishful thinking)

Vegetarian advocacy organisations should be run professionally by people with no criminal background, and should be run with the general (non-vegetarian) public in mind as its target audience. The website should be run as a resource for vegetarians. (in the same manner as the vegetarian society, vegan society or the international vegetarian union)

Zero attention should be given to alternative medicine, holistic healing, crystals, raw food, or any of that malarkey (i.e. vegsource) and confrontational dialogue with groups critical to vegetarianism should not be part of the aims. (So no slagging off weston a price, the center for corpora...*cough* consumer freedom, or similar groups.) Any health information disseminated should be objective. (The vegan society are surprisingly objective.)

Essntially, vegetarianism needs an image makeover. I'm convinced that poor vegetarian advocacy is the reason why people are against vegetarians.
#29 Old 04-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Realistically, I think that the vegetarian movement needs to focus less on converting (especially since current methods are ineffective.) and the focus needs to be on building a respectable image for vegetarians.

YES! It's almost like it takes a transitional period for the friends I make to realize I'm not going to jump on them to stop eating meat...and then they see vegetarianism as more realistic and don't think I'm crazy anymore.
#30 Old 04-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Zero attention should be given to alternative medicine, holistic healing, crystals, raw food, or any of that malarkey

m8itcanw8.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page