Quick Survey. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2007, 05:25 PM

Hey. Can all vegetarians/vegans take this survey. I'm doing a report on vegetarians/vegans. So help me out, please?

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian?

2. What age did you become one?

3. Why did you become one?

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one?

5. Do you encourage other people to become one?

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan?

7. Is it hard?

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have?

9. Why do you save animals that eat eachother?

10. Do you have any health problems?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Hey. Can all vegetarians/vegans take this survey. I'm doing a report on vegetarians/vegans. So help me out, please?

7. Is it hard?

Thank you.
#3 Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi!

Ok...

1. At age 14

2. When I realized I wanted to be a vegetarian!

3. I felt that it was wrong to eat animals.

4. No, apart from the people at PETA

5. Yes, I tell them about the health benefits of being a vegetarian.

6. For 3 years.

7. No, once you get used to it.

8. By accident when I didn't know it was in my food, yes.

9. If you think about it no one eats animals that eat each other. Cow, chickens, pigs, sheep are all herbivores

10. Slight digestive issues but they are caused by junk food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? about 14

2. What age did you become one? 14 for about a month, but "officialy" when I was 15

3. Why did you become one? Animal rights/ welfare

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? no

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? yes but only if they bring it up

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan? only about 7 months

7. Is it hard? no, a little confusing starting out for the first month maybe.

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? ah, yes at the start of my veganism when I wasn't used to label reading.

9. Why do you save animals that eat eachother? Humans don't need to eat other animals to survive, and also the process in which we obtain the meat is undoubtably cruel.

10. Do you have any health problems? Nope.

Thank you. You're welcome :P
#5 Old 04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I'd considered it from very young, but never particularly seriously. The first memory I have of stating I wanted to be vegetarian (someday) I was aged 8 or 9, I think.

I went pescatarian aged 13. Lacto-ovo vegetarian at 15. Vegan at 17.

Pescatarian for the challenge/vague ethical concerns. L/O when I thought about the ethics of it more. Ethical/AR reasons converted me to veganism also.

No-one encouraged me to go vegetarian. A vegan friend gave me some support going vegan, but I had already decided I wanted to be before I met him.

I am there to nurture any desire they show in veg*nism, but I don't actively persuade people unless they show some interest.

Vegan for 7 months ish. Vegetarian for 2 and a half (ish???) years altogether.

7. Is it hard?

I always found being lacto-ovo incredibly easy. I never really had any difficulty. Being vegan has it's challenging moments, but it is definitely worth it.

Yeah. I have accidently bitten into meat that has fallen into my meal a couple of times, and when I was a new vegetarian I ate gelatin (a meat-derived ingredient) a few times, sometimes accidently and sometimes in a moment of weakness/drunkenness. Since going vegan I have had a couple of slipups where I have not noticed milk-derived ingredients on some food before I have already eaten some.

I don't save animals.

um...I'm pretty out of shape because I'm lazy. Other than that, nope.

hope that helped
#6 Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Beginner

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? 9

2. What age did you become one? 9

3. Why did you become one? The idea of meat and realizing it came from animals really started to gross me out, I was never a big fan of the taste and it was easy to give up for me

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? No, I was the only one I knew

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? only if they seemed open to the idea, I'll talk to people about it if they ask but I don't actively try and convert others

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan? almost 10 years

7. Is it hard? Not really, it's my choice- plus I can usually find something to yummy eat anywhere with a little creativity

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? Yes on accident, it was very upsetting

9. Why do you save animals that eat eachother? We have other options while they may not (carnivores wouldn't survive on vegetables!), I don't believe we need to eat animals for survival like some of them do (otherwise I wouldn't be alive)

10. Do you have any health problems? Yes, but not related to being veg- I'm recovering from anorexia so most of my health problems are directly correlated to that
#7 Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 PM

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan? 25

2. What age did you become one? 25

3. Why did you become one? I do not believe animals are here for us to use.

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? Sort of.

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? Yes!

6. How long have you been a vegan? 2 years next month.

7. Is it hard? Not at all.

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? Not intentionally.

9. Why do you save animals that eat each other? Because they do not know better.

10. Do you have any health problems? Nope. I'm the healthiest I've ever been in my life!
#8 Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Beginner

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? Early teens.

2. What age did you become one? Vegetarian-14, Vegan-16.

3. Why did you become one? Becoming a vegetarian wasn't that big of a deal, I'd always loved animals and never ate much meat. I became a vegan because I felt like I wasn't doing enough just being vegetarian. How could I say I cared about animals when I supported the rape of cows for their milk and shoving chickens into little cages for their eggs? It just sort of made sense to become a vegan. And I saw some videos that made me sick to think about eating animal products.

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? Not really. My vegan friend was pleased that I did, but the only pressure I felt to become vegan was from myself.

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? I try to maintain a balance between tolerance of other's dietary choices and informing people of what goes on. I don't jump on people to stop eating meat, but I would recommend going veg to anyone. I have videos on my MySpace, and try to make information available to people who might go veg, but I don't try to shove my beliefs in people's faces.

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan? Vegetarian for 2 years, went vegan last month.

7. Is it hard? Being a vegetarian wasn't that bad. After a while the thought of meat made me sick to my stomach, and I just didn't want it. Being vegan has been difficult, because there's so many little animal products snuck into normal things. I'm sure after a while, though, checking ingredients will come more naturally. It just takes a little while to get used to it.

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? I've accidentally eaten things. I've been misinformed on the content of foods. There have been mistakes. But I haven't willingly said "I am going to eat meat/egg/dairy/etc." Any slip-ups have been accidents, and are few and far between.

9. Why do you save animals that eat each other? It's animals' nature to eat each other. Humans are gatherers, not hunters. Why do you think we need knives and forks to eat things? You couldn't hunt a cow and tear it apart and eat it raw. The human body isn't meant for that. We need to dress up our dead animal and pretend it's something else. But wild animals have claws and teeth made for eating other animals. We don't.

10. Do you have any health problems? Yes, but they're unrelated to my veganism.
#9 Old 04-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Beginner

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? When I was 12 I bought Moby's album "Play" and read the liner notes about why he's vegan I started thinking about eventually becoming a vegetarian.

I was 16 when I actually had enough independence to feed myself vegetarian food al the time.

I had a really hard time with people in my life and the food I ate was the only thing I felt I could control, so I took my concern for animals, health, and the environment and became a vegetarian.

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? Kind of. One of my friends was a vegan at the time.

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? To an extent. My college roommate for next year is thinking about becoming vegetarian, and since we will be sharing a kitchen I've offered to help her create a stable and good-tasting diet. But on the other hand, my boyfriend is pretty much addicted to meat, and he understands why I'm a vegetarian, but he would never adopt my diet, so I just try to get him to eat healthier and leave it at that.

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan? 2.5 years. whee.

7. Is it hard? The last year's been harder because I've been on a college meal plan and haven't been able to cook for myself. College vegan food is almost non-existent, and the vegetarian food gets quite gross. Too much cheese.

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? Not really. I know I've accidentally consumed some gelatin at times, and worchester sauce in salad dressing, but I've never purposely decided to eat meat because I felt like it.

9. Why do you save animals that eat eachother? There's a huge difference between animals eating each other and humans eating animals. We raise animals specifically to be eaten, while animals in the wild may be eaten, but are not systematically killed for a specific species' diet. Humans don't give factory animals a "real" life, and cause them much more abuse and pain than necessary. Living in a box in the dark where you can't move and then having your fur boiled off while you're still alive is much different from living in a forest and one day possibly being picked off by a wolf.

10. Do you have any health problems? Nope. I actually have not been sick once since I became vegetarian, which is much less frequently than when I ate meat.
#10 Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Banned

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? 23

Became L/O vegetarian at 23 and am almost vegan (still eat Quorn and Morningstar Farms mock meats which contain dairy/egg) now at 26.

For the animals. I've always loved animals and for most of my life was active in domesticated animal rescue and animal testing protests. Then, at 23, I came to the realization that I was contributing to the suffering and death of the very animals I loved so much by eating/wearing/using them. I am also into healthy/organic eating and vegetarianism was just a natural progression from that.

It was more something that I felt in my mind and in my heart. After I made the decision to go vegetarian, I started doing actual research and watched MYM and Earthlings. But my SO has always been 100% supportive of my choice and has encouraged me many times.

Yes. I try to encourage people by simply living my life with mindfulness and integrity. I will talk to people about vegetarianism and I have encouraged my SO and my friends to be more cruelty-free.

3 1/2 years so far.

7. Is it hard?

Not as hard as some people make it out to be. For me the hardest part is the realization that we as humans use and abuse animals so much. I would say it is tricky (not hard) to find good vegetarian/vegan products. But with more demand comes a better supply so I just keep on demanding more cruelty-free products.

Never on purpose but I have eaten foods only to realize that they contain gelatin/meat broth/enzymes. I do my best to check labels and ask questions but things like that do and will happen. I have never eaten animal flesh by mistake, I don't believe.

We humans have the wonderful ability to reason, to analyze, to use logic. Why not use those abilities to foster love and harmony and humility? We, as humans, no longer need to use animals for our own gain. When we know better, we [should] do better.

I have health problems unrelated to my vegetarianism. But my vegetarianism has helped me in many ways. I no longer suffer from sour/upset stomachs and other digestive problems, my hair is shiny and my skin is clear and radiant. Vegetarianism has also helped my mental clarity and peace of mind.
#11 Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? Vegetarian: 19 Vegan: 23

2. What age did you become one? Same as above.

3. Why did you become one? I love animals too much to contribute to their suffering. The environment and health issues come in second and third.

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? No

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? Close family members, but I try to do it in a way so as not to seem pushy.

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan? Vegetarian: 4 years Vegan: 4 months

7. Is it hard? Vegetarian is not hard for me. I have never cared much for meat anyway. Giving up cheese was a little tougher though.

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? Everyone has minor slip-ups now and then, but I have not eaten any meat product that I know of.

9. Why do you save animals that eat eachother? Humans do not need to eat other animals to survive. In fact, many of the animals humans do eat are not carnivores (cows, chickens, pigs, etc.) Carnivorous animals can not be blamed for the way nature made them.

10. Do you have any health problems? Yes, fibromyalgia, some symptoms of which have actually improved since I cut out all animal products.
#12 Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 PM

. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? 13

2. What age did you become one? 23

3. Why did you become one? I find meat disgusting and I have never been able to digest it

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? No way- I have been told I am crazy for eating this way

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? No, but I am a great cook and make amazing veggie meals. It helps

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan?13yrs

7. Is it hard?- No, not as long as I am prepared. iI I go someplace where food will be served. I always eat before hand (restaurant) or I bring a dish (cook out -party)

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have?- I ate a vegetable soup that had beef broth in it. I was told it was VEGETABLE soup made for me... I should have asked. My fault

9. Why do you save animals that eat each other?- It is an unfair world we live in. I am not here to judge

I had a gull stone caused from fried, fatty foods. Meat made it worse. No meat, no probs. I also come from a family with diabetes and high cholesterol. I am the only vegetarian, and the only one that has a healthy cholesterol leval and good blood sugar.

#13 Old 04-12-2007, 08:03 PM

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? 24

2. What age did you become one? 26

3. Why did you become one? For the animals no living creature should be treated the way those animals are treated and health reasons

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? No, most people are very unsuportive of my decision. They are not educated and think it is unhealthy.

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? No, not really. I believe it is a personal choice, but if someone has questions I have no problem answering them.

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan? Not long, only a month.

7. Is it hard? Once you find the truth about the industry, it is not hard at all!

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? No, not yet.

9. Why do you save animals that eat eachother? Just like others have said, we have a choice. We have pleanty of other resources for foods, and animals in the wild are doing it to survive.

10. Do you have any health problems? Nope not yet, hopefully I won't. I am very careful about the food choices I make. I also am careful to make sure I am getting all the proper vitamans with my diet.
#14 Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM

The health benefits, I learned about having cleaner arteries and I started to research by readying books and websites like goveg.com.

No one encouraged me, most people tried to discourage me, actually. It helped that my fiance' (then girlfriend) was semi-vegetarian (she's vegetarian now) and my Idol ("Weird Al" Yankovic) has been vegetarian since 1992.

Yes, but I try to do it by setting an example and not by preaching.

Since November 1st 2005 (1 year, 5 months and 12 days). I was on and off the diet for 2 years and 9 months before that.

7. Is it hard?

It was when I first got interested in it, that's why I was on and off the diet.

I haven't purposely eaten meat since November 1st 2005. I have had a couple accidents that were too close to call where my order was wrong and I spit the 1st bite out when I realized it.

I don't save animals, I help lower the demand of an animal being born that would be raised for meat.

I have psoriasis, it's gotten a little better since I became vegetarian.
#15 Old 04-12-2007, 08:22 PM

Many reasons. I love animals, so why should I eat them, its better for the environment, meat is a dead thing and dead things creep me out, I don't want to kill animals.

Sort of. Some people on a message board I used to go to, insipred me to go veggie.

If they seem open to it. I'm not one to shove it down other's throats.

About a year.

7. Is it hard?

Not really.

Yes. In my early days of being veggie, I ate a rice crispies treat without realizing it wasn't vegetarian until after I ate it and it occured to me that it had marshmellows in it. I once ate part of a bowl of soup before it occured to me that the crunchy tomatoes were, in fact, bacon bits. I ate a cup of rice a few months ago, and halfway through felt really sick, and it turned out that it was cooked in beef yuck. I need to check things better. >_<

Because I love all animals (that aren't actively trying to harm one of my pets, anyway).

I'm overweight, but that has always been an issue for me, even before I went veggie.
#16 Old 04-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? I knew at the age of around 7 that I would some day try out vegetarianism, however, I did not seriosly consider it until I was 14

2. What age did you become one? 14, but 9 months after I first started to seriosly think about it.

3. Why did you become one? I dissected a chicken in seventh grade science, and I couldn't stop thinking that the chicken had so many feelings and bones and the such just like humans do. I really wanted to go veg that very night, but didn't have the courage... finally, I couldn't stand it any more after about 9 months and caved. 3 months later I went vegan, because I felt like a hypocrite (saying that I was vegetarian because I was against factory farming, yet still supporting factory farming).

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? Not really, most of the recources I had were online. In fact, all of them were online for the first 1 1/2 years.

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? Yes, but I don't push. I mostly encourage through example and protests. I'll give out leaflets and additional info to people who are interested in knowing more.

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan? 3 years, 3 months and 15 days.

7. Is it hard? Yes, because I still live with my mom, and she's not supportive. However, it is much easier then forcing myself to stuff down meat when I know it is wrong.

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? Yes! Everyone eventually makes a mistake. At first, I made a lot of mistakes because I didn't know many of the popular ingrediants. Now, it happens less often, mostly when I'm eating out.

9. Why do you save animals that eat eachother? Because everyone deserves life. How would I help animals who eat each other by eating them? Besides, the animals most commonly consumed by Americans (and me) are cows and chickens. Both of these animals are naturally veg. Pigs are omnivores, is really just matters what they are fead.

10. Do you have any health problems? Every health problem I have, I had before going veg. And many of the problems I had before going veg, I no longer have today.
#17 Old 04-12-2007, 09:44 PM

1. 13

2. 13

3. Because when i became a teenager i realised i didn't have to eat meat. I realised i had a choice.

4. No

5. Only when they have an interest, i don't go preeching to meat eaters about it.

6. About 13 years.

7. No. Only time it was hard was when i went to spain for 2 weeks. I have been to about 28 countries. Spain was the only hard one.

8. Yes, like i little piece of meat that got put on a vegetarian pizza etc.

9. I DO believe that humans are omnivores and they are designed to eat meat (but not in the way we do) BUT i live in a modern world where i can choose just about anything in the world to eat, and i have enough choice that i can survive really well without anyone dying for my dinner!

10. No.
#18 Old 04-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

-around age 16

-i went veg over the period of about a year between age 17 and 18. working on going vegan now (age 25)

-i realized that i really didn't like meat so wondered why i was eating it. also my love of animals

-no

-not generally. if anyone takes an interest i will explain my reasons but i don't think i've ever urged someone else to go veg.

-veg: about 7-8 years. vegan: been seriously working on it for about a month now.

7. Is it hard?

-i never found being veg hard because i just made the decision to not eat meat which i didn't like anyways. vegan i find more difficult because of all the trace ingredients and alternate names for animal by-products in food.

-the main reason i say i went veg over the period of about a year or so is because it took me at least that long to actually properly read labels and realize what foods are made of. i'll never forget the day i found out Campbell's Vegetable Soup was made with beef stock

9. Why do you save animals that eat each other?

-the way humans utilize animals for food is not natural in the least.

-no
#19 Old 04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? 7.

What age did you become one? Hardcore vegetarian at 17, vegan sometime this year (age 18. I kept track of what I was eating, and it happened to be vegan, so I kept with it. I slip up every now and then, but I'm working.)

Why did you become one? I hate the idea of eating the carcass of another (once-living) thing, and I've always hated it. I only ate meat in the ten years of realization between age 7 and 17 because I didn't realize children could defy their parents. I got into AR after lurking around VB and doing a lot more reading.

Did anybody encourage you to become one? Being a lurker on VB. Everyone.

Do you encourage other people to become one? Yes, but subtly. I don't mind when people eat meat, but I have a big problem when they try to get me to or are hostile.

How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan? Over a year and 4 months. My veggiversary is December 22. My vegaversary? I don't know, probably since mid-winter.

Is it hard? Only if you aren't open-minded. Personally, I love it and would never go back to eating meat.

Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? Definitely trace ingredients, but with knowledge came change. It's never been intentional though, save the one time I needed chocolate and all I had was a frosted pop-tart...

Why do you save animals that eat each other? I didn't know that herbivores ate other animals. I wish to inform other humans that animals aren't a necessity to survival, and especially when so much cruelty is involved.

Do you have any health problems? Nope... but perhaps I'm just too healthy.
#20 Old 04-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I realized it when I was in highschool, so about fourteen.

twenty-one

because I hated the texture in my mouth, and I was already allergic to dairy and rice. then i read more.

No.

No.

Two years.

7. Is it hard?

No.

No. There are no rules. If I chose to eat meat once or twice, I don't feel as though I 'shouldn't have'. I just chose to eat meat.

I think this question is not well thought out. I have no answer.

Yes. I have a few. They are diseases.
#21 Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't want to keep killing animals.

Not directly.

Not directly.

About 3 months.

7. Is it hard?

Nope.

Not that I know of.

As someone else pointed out, most of the animals humans eat are actually vegetarians themselves. But I don't mind animals that don't have a choice eating each other, as long as I don't have to participate or watch it.

I've had insomnia problems my entire life. Also, for the last year or two, I've been getting colds more often than I used to, and I'm not sure why. Going veg for the last 3 months doesn't seem to have changed that at all.

Going veg did help with two problems I used to have, though. Ironically, my iron level is now slightly too high, which is a reversal from the low iron I had as a kid. And all the fiber I've been eating since going veg has cleared up the occasional constipation that I used to get.

--Fromper

#22 Old 04-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Veggie Regular

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian?:

I'd been attempting to go veggie since I was 16.

2. What age did you become one?:

I've been lacto-ovo since December 06. I was, and still am, 18.

3. Why did you become one?:

Every living thing deserves a chance to live a long and fruitful life.

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one?:

Not really. I don't know any 'proper' veggies/vegans in real life.

5. Do you encourage other people to become one?:

I managed to turn my best friend vegan.

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan?:

Coming up on 4 months now.

7. Is it hard?:

Nah. I still eat everything I used to eat before, just this time around, no animals are hurt in the process.

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have?:

I ate gelatine a few times when I was a new veggie, as most of us seem to do when we're starting out. There was this other time when I was starving, and just grabbed a random tin of soup out of the cupboard without thinking. I had the spoon almost in my mouth before I realised there was beef in it. >.>

9. Why do you save animals that eat eachother?:

I've always seen animals eating eachother out of necessity and the instinct to survive. The way humans farm animals for their meat isn't the same thing.

10. Do you have any health problems?:

I've an ED, but it was here long before I turned veggie.
#23 Old 04-13-2007, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigUpHerBones View Post

7. Is it hard?

Thank you.

1. Around 14

2. 16

3. Mainly because I feel that animals aren't to be eaten, but also because of the health benefits and helping the environment.

4. Nope.

5. Nope, if someone asks then I'll tell them about it. But I try not to encourage or persuade people to do something they obviously have no interest in doing.

6. Coming up to 2 years.

7. It was at first. But I got used to it. The hardest part I found was during the first week, which was forgetting that I was vegetarian and grabbing meat to eat.

8. Not really. I once accidentally ate gelatin but that's the worst mistake I've made.

9. It's not the actual eating part I mostly disagree with. It's the way animals are mass produced in terrible conditions to be eaten. But I feel that if humans have evolved enough to become omnivores with large brains, and that we can survive easily and healthily on a veg*n diet, then for what reason can we justify eating animals for other than satisfying our own appetite?

10. Nope, if anything I've become more healthy.

Hope this helps.
#24 Old 04-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? About nine

2. What age did you become one? 11

3. Why did you become one? Animal rights reasons.

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? No, quite the oppisite.

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? Yeah, my two parents and my brother and they all became vegetarian. I didn't like make them, but I think I had some part in their decison.

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan? Four years

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? only by accident. There's always those terrible moments, especially early on, when it dawns on you your favourtie food has like...beatles and stomach lining in it.

9. Why do you save animals that eat eachother? Because two wrongs don't make a right, but mostly because we have the inteligence to understand the consiquences of our actions on other beings and they don't, therefor we have a responsiblity they don't to act on that knoledge.

10. Do you have any health problems? No. Sometimes I get sick but that would be because of disordered eating, severe restriction of calorie/fat intake and binging and purging - as apposed to my vegetarian diet. My mum dad and brother are never sick. ever.
#25 Old 04-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Yeah, my two parents and my brother and they all became vegetarian.

wow, that's really awesome
#26 Old 04-13-2007, 06:41 AM

Did did not really set out to become a vegetarian. It was only because I did not like the taste of meat that I did not eat it.

In theory I had always be a some type of vegetarian. I was a Pesco-vegetarian until I was about 8 or 9, for the next 5 years I was a non-strict Lacto-ovo vegetarian, and since than I have been more strict.

As I have said I did not like the taste of red meat, and at the age of 13 I thought I may as well give up all meat.

4.Did anybody encourage you to become one?

No.

No, not really.

Depends on your definition, between 7 and 12 years depending on what you call a vegetarian.

7.Is it hard?

No

Well if I have it probably would be forgetting that drink I can and can't have because it hard to remember when you are drunk.

9.Why do you save animals that eat each other?

Because human are supposedly more intelligent than animals.

No
#27 Old 04-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? 21

2. What age did you become one? 21

3. Why did you become one? It finally sunk in that I was eating something that had once been living just like I was.

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? No

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? I let them make that decision themselves, for the most part. I am more likely to encourage someone to eat healthy.

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan? 14 1/2 years

7. Is it hard? No - and it gets easier all the time.

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? Unintentionally. I've learned to be very suspicious of ANY soup.

9. Why do you save animals that eat eachother? Which animals would those be? Lions? Eagles? I didn't eat any of those to begin with. The meat I ate when I was growing up was cows, pigs, chickens/turkeys, fish. I guess fish eat each other, but none of the others do (unless we feed it to them). Why save fish? It's amazing what an ecosystem where fish are not fished looks like. Check out the most recent issue of National Geographic.

10. Do you have any health problems? Not from my vegetarianism. I do have allergies, but I've had those since I was a kid.
#28 Old 04-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

1. What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian? I realized it a few years before I became it.

2. What age did you become one? Age 11.

3. Why did you become one? I love animals and the environment.

4. Did anybody encourage you to become one? No, never.

5. Do you encourage other people to become one? Occasionally, such as my mom who wants to lose weight.

6. How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan? 3 years.

8. Have you ever eaten meat/something else you shouldn't have? We all make mistakes, so yes. Never a whole chunk of flesh, just things like gelatin.

9. Why do you save animals that eat eachother? It's not natural for humans to eat meat. Animals don't need forks and knives and stoves and ovens, they eat it raw. It is natural for them.

10. Do you have any health problems? No.
#29 Old 04-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

1.& 2.What age did you realize you wanted to become a vegan/vegetarian?

I was 20 when I realized I wanted to be a vegetarian, but 22 by the time I actually was one. I was 24 when I realized I wanted to be a vegan, but didn't get there until I was nearly 26.

Vegetarian: environmental reasons

Vegan: the animals

no, but nobody discouraged me either.

Yes. Outreach is one of the most important parts of my life. I do this through my personal dealings with people, and through my work with the local vegetarian association.

My husband is now vegan, and my boss is now a vegetarian. I've helped lots of other people on their journey as well.

Vegetarian: nearly five years

vegan: half of that

7. Is it hard?

Not at all.

No, not knowingly.

9. Why do you save animals that eat each other?

What?

No, I have never been in better health. I look younger now than I did five years ago.
#30 Old 04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Didn't feel justified in killing/eating animals.

No, but no one told me not to either.

I give people information about it if they ask, and cook them rockin' veg*n meals, but I wouldn't just go around selling it to people.

13 yrs this summer

7. Is it hard?

Nope.

Probably. Can't account for everything I've eaten in the past 13 yrs, but I haven't on purpose or to my knowledge... with the exception of things like gelatin on pills, and sometimes you can't avoid taking medications.

Cows, chickens, pigs, etc... do not eat each other. They are herbavores.

I have IBS, but I have since before I was a vegetarian. I am currently having complications from an appendectomy I had 16 months ago, but it also isn't relevent to my diet.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page