I eat well. Very well yet my Iron was 8% instead of 15%. Where do you get iron? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Beginner

I fasted for a yearly physical bloodwork test. My iron was low and I am not anemic.

Ok, weekly I eat eggs, raisins, shredded wheat, oatmeal, romaine, asparagus, tofu, broccoli..all of these things and more.

Why is my iron low? What can I do to boost it. I don't want to take a supplement. What do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Beginner

WATERCRESS. Packed with iron! I could eat a whole bag... or you could make nice sandwiches or salads with it

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
#3 Old 04-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd suggest eating more pulses, such as lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans and peas. Dried fruits such as apricots and dates are also high in iron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-06-2007, 08:27 PM

There may be a special reason why you aren't absorbing as much iron as you consume.. try talking to a doctor and see if you can get a more complete exam. I had extra tests done to find out why my iron levels were low. Good luck.
#5 Old 04-07-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

There may be a special reason why you aren't absorbing as much iron as you consume.. try talking to a doctor and see if you can get a more complete exam. I had extra tests done to find out why my iron levels were low. Good luck.

You beat me to the suggestion, veggiejane - not to alarm the OP, but there are some disorders which can interfere with iron absorption, so you should definitely get a more in-depth evaluation by a doc.
#6 Old 04-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Pair iron rich foods with foods high in vitamin C. This will help increase absorption.

Avoid pairing iron rich foods with foods high in phytates and tannins (iron absorption inhibitors). These are some examples:

Red wine, coffee, tea

Spinach, chard, beet greens, rhubard, and sweet potato

Whole grains and bran

Soy products

Foods that are iron absorption enhancers:

Oranges, cantaloupe (musk melon), strawberries, grapefruit

Broccoli, brussels sprouts, tomato, potato, green & red bell peppers

White wine

Veg*n foods that are high in iron:

Enriched breakfast cereals

Cooked beans and lentils

Pumpkin seeds

Blackstrap molasses

Canned beans

Baked potato with skin

Enriched pasta

Canned asparagus

That said, your hemoglobin is low, so there is nothing wrong with taking a supplement. From my understanding, when you're anemic, there is less blood to circulate through the body, which makes your heart work harder to get oxygen to all of your body's cells.
#7 Old 04-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

go get some bran muffins at traders joes. with a little jam on top those things taste so good , last time i checked they had 20% rdi for iron in one little muffin

also calcium inhibits the absorbtion of iron
#8 Old 04-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Try sea vegetables, it puts any other vegetable and even meat to shame with it's iron content. One serving of Sea lettuce has 10 times more iron than an equal serving of beef.
#9 Old 04-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Beginner

Sometimes its not the food so much as other health reasons.

I've also read stuff about calcium stopping the absorption which from what I read its better to eat DRY cereal with something high in vitamin C.

For me it doesn't matter if I eat meat or not I have mildly low iron.

I found a brand of sunflower seeds that has 10% iron.

peanutbutter is a good option too.
#10 Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 AM
#11 Old 06-08-2007, 06:49 AM

My wife also has low iron, went to the doctors, had some tests and ended up with just some iron tablets.

These didn't seem to make her energy levels perk up and she was told that her body couldnt absorb the iron in that form.

She now takes Floradix liquid iron every day and feels great. This is sold in pharmacies and health food shops in the UK.
#12 Old 06-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

It's worth talking to a doctor to. If you are unable to get up to a healthy level, it can be a sign of an ulcer.
#13 Old 06-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Talk to a doctor about that. Note that eating citrus fruits with your sources of iron will help absorption too. (Vitamin C assists iron absorption.)
#14 Old 06-08-2007, 08:18 PM

Spinach is a biggie on iron!! Spinach soup, spinach quiche, spinach ravioli, spinach muffin Everything!!

Well u can also take iron tablets. I have Gentle Iron (iron bisglycinate) 25 mg from Solgar. I bought it at a local health food store for $8.79. It says Suitable for Vegetarians It's also sugar, salt and starch free and kosher for those who are concerned. Ingredients are: Microcrystalline Cellulose, Vegetable Cellulose, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, Water. May contain vegetable glycerin.

Here's some research I've done for you as well from Nutrition Data

Cereal Grains and Pasta High in Iron

Vegetable High in Iron

Fruits High in Iron

Nuts and Seed High in Iron

Legumes and Beans High in Iron

Beverage High in Iron

Spice and Herb High in Iron

*note based on 200 cal/ for each product!!!

Wow I never knew coffee provided iron Krazii!! Hope that Helps Good luck!!
#15 Old 06-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Bof
Banned

From PCRM (pcrm.org):

The Dangers of Iron

Iron aggravates free radical attacks. It catalyzes free radical production and also increases the damage they do.26 Although a small amount of iron is needed in order for red blood cells to carry oxygen, even modest excesses of iron can encourage free radical action.

Most American men and postmenopausal women have more stored iron than their bodies need, as a result of the overuse of supplements and meat-based diets. The following tests allow you to check your patients iron status:

* Serum ferritin (normal values are 12-200 micrograms per liter)

* Serum iron

* Total iron binding capacity (TIBC)

Serum iron should be checked after an overnight fast. The serum iron measurement is divided by TIBC. The result should be 16-50 percent for women and 16-62 percent for men.

Results above these norms indicate excess iron. Results below these norms indicate too little iron. If the result suggests iron deficiency, you may request an additional test, called a red cell protoporphyrin test, for confirmation. A result higher than 70 micrograms per deciliter of red blood cells suggests insufficient iron. To diagnose iron deficiency, at least of two these three values (serum ferritin, serum iron/TIBC, or red cell protoporphyrin) should be abnormal.

If blood tests show excess iron, iron levels can be safely reduced with regular exercise and by donating blood. To help your patients keep iron in balance, encourage them to get their nutrition from grains, beans, vegetables, and fruits. They contain plenty of iron, but it is in a form that the body can more easily regulate. In contrast, meats contain a type of iron, called heme iron, that the body cannot regulate. Even if the body is already iron-overloaded, heme iron passes from the digestive tract into the bloodstream.
#16 Old 06-09-2007, 11:36 AM

Cooking using an iron pot can also help with iron levels! (seriously!)
#17 Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarBax View Post

I think this only helps if you are a bad cook, burn everything, and then have to scrap it off the pan to eat. LOL
#18 Old 06-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarBax View Post

I use an iron skillet all the time.
#19 Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati View Post

I think this only helps if you are a bad cook, burn everything, and then have to scrap it off the pan to eat. LOL

Thanks! I'll try that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page