where can i buy this stuff? (powdered soy milk & egg replacer) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm looking for some advice on where exactly i can find powdered soy milk (to use for cooking) and possibly a powdered or at least non-perishable egg replacement to use in baking. i have never seen these products at my grocery store, but may just not be looking in the right section.

other than that i was thinking either a health food store or an asian market.

does anyone have any suggestions on where i can start my search?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm... Your profile says you're in Vancouver, so it shouldn't be too hard to find stuff like that (not if I can find it in Calgary). You probably just aren't looking in the right places.

Powdered soymilk is usually found in bulk sections of supermarkets, or in HFS. As for a non perishable egg replacer, you could get Ener-G (sp?) egg replacer at a HFS, or prob. at some bigger grocery stores. You can also use ground flax seed with water. You can either buy the seeds whole and grind them yourself, or you can buy pre-milled flax seeds (but those should be refrigetated and in a dark bag- the omega-3 oils are unstable at room temperature and when exposed to light). Flax seeds are really healthy, so I try to use them as egg replacers in baking where possible. You just mix together 1 Tbs flax to 3 Tbs water for 1 egg.

If you are still having trouble finding those things, just ask someone working at the stores. If they don't carry those things, they may be willing to order them in.

Failing that, you could contact the Vancouver Vegetarian Society for some help.

Good luck!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#3 Old 03-20-2007, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy Better Than Milk Soy vegan powdered mix from VeganEssentials online.
#5 Old 03-20-2007, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I can find Better than Soy Milk powdered soymilk at my Health Food Store (I haven't looked for it in my regular grocery) near the boxed soy/rice/oat/nut milks. It was on the top shelf, so not really at an eye-catching level for me. Ener-G egg replacer was with the gluten-free and egg-free foods in my health food store. I haven't seen the Ener-G in my regular grocery store.
#6 Old 03-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks for the suggestions. i'm going to try my grocery store first and if not i found an "organic health food store"not too far from here who's website says they carry dairy free products so hopefully i'll find what i'm looking for
#7 Old 03-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Administrator

If they don't have it in stock ask if they'll order it for you. Sometimes places will do that (but you might have to agree to buy all or part of a case).

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 03-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

you can use baby formula or protein powder for the milk - you can even omit it, depending on the recipe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page