My wife has gone vegetarian! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-15-2007, 12:02 PM

So, the good news: my wife has gone vegetarian. I've been minimally lacto-ovo vegetarian for ~2 years; so I'm really excited. I never really figured she'd make the transition.

The bad news: I'm having trouble finding well balanced meals to make for her. I'm relatively established in my diet, I've got a fairly big base of meals to work with so I figured it'd be easy to assist her in the transition. Turns out she dislikes almost every kind of food that I eat. She doesn't like beans, tempeh, seitan, quinoa. She likes tofu but I try not to eat too much soy (only ~1 or 2 times a week) because of thyroid problems. She also has a strong family history of thyroid problems so I don't want her compensating by eating tofu 7 days week. I know it's an unproven link but better safe than sorry, right?

So any suggestions for meals for someone with discerning tastes?

After discussing the bean issue with her, she admitted to only trying black beans and kidney beans a long time ago. So, she's going to retry beans and try a fair variety of them since they all have different tastes/textures. She's creeped out by the texture of tempeh and seitan tastes "too wheaty."

If she can get past the bean issues, I think we have a chance of her healthly doing a vegetarian diet. Beans + tofu seem like enough variety. Tofu alone seems a little too limited especially with the thyroid issues mentioned above. So anyone else have experience with this? Anyone out there dislike most vegetarian protein sources? Can she honestly get enough protein and meet her nutritional needs with only vegetables and limited tofu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Congrats!

Can she honestly get enough protein and meet her nutritional needs with only vegetables and limited tofu? Yes, she can, honestly!

How about Chilli sin carne?

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#3 Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Does she dislike every kind of grain food? What about whole wheat bread? (Soft, not coarse whole wheat bread does exist, and this former white bread lover loves it!)

Other sources of protein include mushrooms and nuts. Even cooked dark greens have some protein in them. As long as she's eating a variety and getting enough calories in a day, she should be fine in the protein department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

She'll probably come to like those things eventually, she just needs to approach it with an open mind. I didn't eat any of the food I eat now, five years ago.
#5 Old 03-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Does she like nuts? How about peanut butter?

--Fromper

#6 Old 03-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

She'll probably come to like those things eventually, she just needs to approach it with an open mind. I didn't eat any of the food I eat now, five years ago.

i agree whene i first became veggie i really didnt eat anything because i thought it was all groose later though my tatse buds really opened up and i enjoyed alot of things i thought i wouldnt
#7 Old 03-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

What about lentils? Or TVP - I know mock meats aren't the best thing, but it might help her in the short term, at least. Nuts, seeds, and wholegrains are definately the way to go.

Oh, also, spelt!! A really ancient grain, that is baked into bread, into pizza bases, made into pasta - and good with the protein hit! Tasty too... Good luck!

pirate x
#8 Old 03-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree she needs to taste beans cooked well again. I never ate them until I was veggie. Now I can't live without them!
#9 Old 03-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

You cant even buy tempeh or seitan (or nutritional yeast, half the stuff people go on about etc etc) near me and im alive =p

beans are the best.

my boyfriend (omni) insists he hates beans other than the standard baked kind, but admitted to rather liking bean burgers - to me they taste different too. mmmm beans. im currently eating a baked bean and tofu 'curry' (beans in saucepan, tofu in saucepan, curry powder, heat!.... studenty) mm
#10 Old 03-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

You cant even buy tempeh or seitan (or nutritional yeast, half the stuff people go on about etc etc) near me and im alive =p

beans are the best.

my boyfriend (omni) insists he hates beans other than the standard baked kind, but admitted to rather liking bean burgers - to me they taste different too. mmmm beans. im currently eating a baked bean and tofu 'curry' (beans in saucepan, tofu in saucepan, curry powder, heat!.... studenty) mm

oh yum. That sounds like something I would make but I haven't yet. Must try
#11 Old 03-16-2007, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations!
#12 Old 03-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Beginner

I love black beans. I eat them in soup, casseroles, mexican dishes. She should try beans in something. I love to make nacho casseroles (with or without bean), quesadillas (with or without beans), veggie soups. I eat a lot of cheese, peanut butter, and whole grains for protiens.
#13 Old 03-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

For a very long time, I only liked pinto beans. Now, I only like pinto and black beans It's all about how it's prepared. Any food can be nasty if it's prepared wrong. I just posted a new recipe on my blog for Hearty Black Bean Soup with Winter Vegetables. It's pretty good!

http://blog.shippersx.com/

I think she could have a pretty healthy diet, as long as she eats fruits and veggies. For my protein, I eat a lot of Morningstar Farms or Worthington/Loma Linda products. They're a good substitute for meat.
#14 Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 AM

And if she doesn't like beans, there are still plenty of veggie based dishes that are packed with protein. Also, you might try lentils; my husband won't eat beans but will eat lentils. Also, peas are an easy addition to meals that really brings up the protein count. Bulgar wheat is awesome as a base for salads (tabbouli, yum) and veggies. And it's easy. You might also try pureed legumes like chickpeas in hummus. Again, my husband won't eat beans or whole chickpeas, but he inhales hummus everytime I make it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page