Super easy veggie meals/snacks - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Beginner

Hey all...

I used to be a vegan and I had a much healthier body and a healthier mind. Not only did my skin glow, but I was at my healthy weight and I was also more mentally stable and happy with my morals. I feel that I may be somewhat addicted to cheese, meat, and ice cream, and that my 'addictions' to these foods are undermining my ability to become a healthy person. Whether this is a crock of crap, I don't know...but I feel that becoming veg again would be tremendously beneficial for me.

I am not going to worry about whey, milk, or eggs in products, only about "raw" dairy- no milk, cheese, ice cream, ect. And of course, no meat. This is going to be a difficult transition for me and I REALLY need cheap, convienient meal ideas. I am a college student, so I'm constantly strapped for money and time. Here are some ideas that I have, if anyone has any to add, I would appreciate it greatly.

Ramen w. frozen veggies (not the healthiest, but hey, its a start)

Pita and Hummus

Veggie burgers/veggie convienience foods

PB & J

Frozen meals (are good, but usually expensive)

Dry meals (not that good, less expensive)

Soup

Anyone else have ideas? I would appreciate it so much. I really want to make this change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Hello! It can be difficult to make quick and easy meals as a vegan. I'm not a vegan because of convenience. I highly recommend keeping fresh fruits and veggies in your house. Do you have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods nearby? Both of those stores have a large selection of vegan foods (especially WF).

The ideas you listed are ones I would have come up with I have a food blog... I don't have many recipes on it yet, but there are a few (and most that are there are vegan). Good luck!

http://shippersx.com/blog/
#3 Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Always keep a few cans of beans and some nuts in your place too! You can always make a black bean burrito or have walnuts to snack on for protein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

If you don't mind eating fake meat, soy deli slices make a really good, quick sandwich - just toss them on bread with some mustard and lettuce and you're good to go. A little bit expensive, though.

Here's a good, cheap sandwich filling that you can make a big batch of on the weekend and eat throughout the week:

1 can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and mashed (I use a hand blender but you can just use your hands)

1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise

1 tbsp relish

2 tsp mustard

1 tsp curry powder

It's supposed to taste like tuna salad - I don't really think it does, but it is yummy. I just put it on bread with a bit of extra vegan mayo, but you could add tomatoes, sprouts, lettuce, whatever you wanted really. That recipe is good for maybe five sandwiches.

I'm a big fan of the "make big batches of things whenever you can squeeze in a few hours" strategy. Trail mix would be good too, and granola bars, although a lot of them have honey and I'm not sure what your stance on honey is. If you want to avoid it, Nature Valley Crunchy bars are vegan.

I don't eat convenience meals very often, but when I'm strapped for time I eat Thai Kitchen dry meals - they give you the noodles and sauce and you just add tofu and veggies. They're really yummy and easy, plus they don't have a lot of foreign chemical ingredients.

Good luck!
#5 Old 03-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm surprised no one has mentioned pasta yet. Most standard store brands of pasta and jar spaghetti sauces are vegan, so you can just buy whatever's cheap. Just don't buy meat sauce or "creamy" sauces that likely have milk in them.

I usually make a full pound of pasta and jar of sauce for myself, so I get lots of leftovers and eat it all week. I heat up some frozen veggies (usually brocolli) and throw it in there, too. I've also been experimenting with extra protein sources to throw into my pasta. Gardenburger meatballs aren't bad, and I've heard positive things about Morningstar crumbles.

--Fromper

#6 Old 03-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I like to do a quick black bean nacho meal.

Blue corn tortilla chips.

A can of black beans (heated through).

Then just layer and add whatever toppings you love: tomatoes, lettuce, shredded carrots, salsa, guacamole, jalepenos, etc.

I also like the hummus pizza idea out of the recipe section, haven't fixed it yet, but sounds so good I'm gonna give it a try soon.

Instead of just boring hummus & pitas, you could do a veggie/hummus sandwich.

Slather both of sides with some yummy hummus, and pack it full of chopped lettuce, sliced cucumbers, diced tomatoes, shredded carrots, chopped brocccoli, whatever your favs. are.

Defiantely a good whole wheat pasta with a good marinara (I really like Newman's) and again add whatever veggies your in the mood for.

Chunks of peppers, diced onions, chunks of mushrooms, and yes, even shredded carrots.

I haven't tried it personally, but I've heard lots of good things about tofu scrambles (either for breakfast OR dinner), there should be a recipe in the "recipe section".

Hope this helps to get you started with a few more options!

Good luck,

Michelle
#7 Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Pitta bread pizza: spread a pitta bread with tomato puree, sprinkle with some herbs if you like, add veg (and soya cheese, optional), heat under the grill for a few minutes. Orrr for a Mexican twist, spread it with refried beans, add salsa and veg (sweetcorn, bell pepper strips, etc) and heat in the same way.

Salads with lots of veg and nuts/seeds are good.

Spaghetti with tomato sauce and steamed veg; add lentils or TVP for spag bol

Veg and pitta bread/oatcakes with hummus or other bean dip

Sandwiches: with hummus, bean dip, tahini, etc. plus veg

A quick curry: tinned chickpeas, some veg, tinned tomatoes and curry powder; simmer until your veg are cooked

Stir-fried veg with nuts or tofu over quick-cooking rice noodles or rice

Chilli: tinned mixed beans, frozen sweetcorn, tinned tomatoes and any other veg you like (+ optionally TVP), add spices and simmer until the veg are done

Veg and bean dip, scrambled tofu, peanut butter and apple or banana slices, etc. in a wrap
#8 Old 03-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Dips are so much fun!

Peanutbutter mixed with silken tofu is perfect for crackers, veggies, bits of bread, cookies, everything....

Tofu and salsa mixed with beans and stuff is awesome as well..

I take garlic, olives, tofu, and tomatoes and whirl that as well...

Soup is great to freeze into baggies. Make enough for a month!
#9 Old 03-15-2007, 02:37 AM
Beginner

One of my quick meals is to boil up half a cup of quinoa (I like to use 1/2 white, 1/2 red but either is fine) then I simply strain it, add a little dab of vegan marg and some nut yeast (if I'm feeling energetic I'll make an uncheese sauce, the no cook one from the ultimate uncheese cookbook is quick and easy) and I also have steamed broccoli, baby corn or whatever I feel like that night.

Pasta is another good one as people have mentioned.

Sometimes I cook up 1/2 quinoa, 1/2 rice and mix them together with some tinned tomatoes and nut. yeast. If you can be bothered add whatever veggies you want (fresh or frozen).

Baked potatoes are awesome. I cheat and do mine in the microwave them stick them in the oven for 10 minutes at 200 C to crisp them up (about 400F) while I make the insides which can consist of anything. Refried beans are good though with a soy or vegan sour cream and some nut. yeast if you like. Oh and some guacamole.
#10 Old 03-15-2007, 07:00 AM

pb and j or brown rice with a spicy sweetchili sauce add carrots avacodo and tofu, yummy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page