I showed my meat eating family - 'meet your meat' what to do now? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-12-2007, 05:40 AM

okay

so i just sat down my meat eating family - (mum dad and 13 year old brother)

to watch 'meet your meat'. The whole time they were saying "this is not STANDARD practices, its the worst" I understand alot of it may be standard practices for large companies that mass produce. But to this extent???

Also I was telling them that they are also just saying this to make themselves feel better about what they are doing.

My mum slightly agreed. They all (mainly my mum and then my dad) said they really respect and admire my choice to vegetarianism. And i definately converted my mum and dad to purely organic eggs, milk, and products derived from these. My dad tries to only eat fish and kangaroo when they can and limiting beef, lamb and chicken (okay eating kangaroo you guys that arent from Aus might be shocked but it is becoming very popular as they are beoming 'pests' and are killed in the wild- not saying that i agree with this - i have never eaten it in my life!)

But i was trying to explain that it is not only the poor horrible conditions of these poor animals, but the mere prinipal of what is happening. I think i am slowly converting my mum to vegetarianism but how do i educate them further. They think alot of the information i tell them is bias and is also standards from the US- are the standards in the US much different to them in Australia?

Also my brother who is 13 and i guess it is understandable - i guess...... is very cynical to the whole vegetarianism. He has a typical (very sad) who cares humans are made to eat meat. thats what happened from the begining so why should we stop type attitude. How do i show him the truth- ahhhhhhh sorry i just want my family to be aware of what really goes on, not what they want to think.

hmmmmmmm

thanks

i hope what i am trying to say is clear- feel free to ask me to elaborate if you dont understand-

by the way i do respect their wishes i just want them to become more aware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

If your family is open to information that is fantastic. I believe that we should all be educated on the choices we make- and that applies across the board to meal choices, political voting decisions, school decisions, environmental decsions, all the personal decisions that affect our world. Don't push people but offer them information and see what happens. If they still make different choices after having all the information- I know I have to respect that.

Good for your family for being open
#3 Old 03-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

My experiences have always seemed to demonstrate that the more you try and push people into doing something they are not comfortable with, the more they resist it, and the more stress it brings to your relations with those people.

I do think some people could use an eye opening here and there, but not in an instructional kind of setting, but in more of an accidental setting. That also has a bigger effect because the person is not already associating a preconceived negative attitude towards what they are about to see/hear/read whatever. It is more effective if they feel that they are the ones in control of making these decisions, not being led into them by external influences.

Sometimes small actions like simply leading by example can have a major impact in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-12-2007, 08:04 AM

yes

i think you are completely right

however the more i tell my mum this stuff and show her things the more i feel she is thinking about becoming vegetarian!
#5 Old 03-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Another great film to show them is "Eating". It's wonderful and has a section about the health problems with meat (several doctors are interviewed) and then it has a section on how the animals are treated which is really pretty sad.
#6 Old 03-12-2007, 09:09 AM

I'm going to try and show my mom "Meet your Meat." Let's see how she reacts. I'll let ya know how it goes!
#7 Old 03-12-2007, 09:41 AM

Your brother sounds like where my sister was about a year ago, when I went vegan. As he grows older, he may become more interested in it. Just give that some time.

As far as your parents, the best thing you can do is lead by example. Be the healthy, strong, positive, glowing veg*n that you are! You are fortunate to have such open-minded parents. Continue to be a great source of information for them, and give everything time.
#8 Old 03-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Your brother sounds like where my sister was about a year ago, when I went vegan. As he grows older, he may become more interested in it. Just give that some time.

As far as your parents, the best thing you can do is lead by example. Be the healthy, strong, positive, glowing veg*n that you are! You are fortunate to have such open-minded parents. Continue to be a great source of information for them, and give everything time.

And maybe you can make them some meat (and/or dairy) free dishes for them to try. In my family, everyone always tries and enjoys the dishes I prepare for holidays.

Showing them that veg*n food can (and IS) delicious is a big plus.
#9 Old 03-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

And maybe you can make them some meat (and/or dairy) free dishes for them to try. In my family, everyone always tries and enjoys the dishes I prepare for holidays.

How could I forget that? hehe
#10 Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliya View Post

okay

But i was trying to explain that it is not only the poor horrible conditions of these poor animals, but the mere prinipal of what is happening.

That is how I feel and something that a lot of omnis don't understand or care about. I am not going to start eating animals if their living conditions change, they still end up dead on a plate. "Oh, okay, now they are happy cows. I guess I'll have some steak!" Yeah, right!
#11 Old 03-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

good for you! just keep informing, but be positive. My girlfriend, mother, and sister are all vegetarian now ( i like to say because of me :P )
#12 Old 03-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Hi. Sorry I haven't read through this whole thread (one of the girls needs to go to the doctor in a minute) but being from where you are thought I could help. Yes, Australian practices are different to the US, the cows are generally not factory farmed but their calves are still taken away from them, male chickens are still killed cause they don't need them and the animals are slaughtered the same way. Take your Mum for a drive out to MacGregor and show her the PACE farms egg factory, the stink will put her off forever (you of course won't be allowed to enter the sheds but at least she'll be able to see this is literally happening in her own back yard).

Another thing is I don't know if you are willing to drive but you could call ahead to both Cowra and Young and see if their abbitors (sp?) have any sort of open day. Young is only an hour and 45 minutes away and Cowra is maybe slightly more. Young also has stockyards which when full have cattle literally standing on each other and bellowing in horror for days as they await being auctioned off or to be transported to the abs

I tell you. Anyone who has smelled and heard a cattle truck going through town in 45 degree heat would be put off meat forever, not to mention how slaughterers smell after a day at work
#13 Old 03-12-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Thankss everyone!!!!!! so much
#14 Old 03-12-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtigercubs View Post

Another thing is I don't know if you are willing to drive but you could call ahead to both Cowra and Young and see if their abbitors (sp?) have any sort of open day.

Yeah well i was actually born in young - hehe and my mum and dad when i was a baby ran the loacal newspaper- and last night mum told me that she had to go to the abatoir to write a story (dont know what it was on) she said it was horrible!!! thats a good idea - where is Magregor??? cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

That is how I feel and something that a lot of omnis don't understand or care about. I am not going to start eating animals if their living conditions change, they still end up dead on a plate. "Oh, okay, now they are happy cows. I guess I'll have some steak!" Yeah, right!

EXACTLY - my brother is all like 'well im sure that they are treated better than that in some cases' - BUt it doesnt make it right - they still get killed - and in mass production so greedy fat people can eaat their Hamburgers or bacon and eggs.

Quote:

Yeah well ever since I stared going off meat (for about 3 to 4 years we have been having a lot of veggie meals!!! Tofu stir-fry etc. but true, maybe I could try make some mock meat or something we went to this amazing vegan restaurant for my birthday and they loved it!!!!

Thank you everyone so much!!!
#15 Old 03-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Beginner

Really? Wow, I lived in Young from 13 until I was about 18! Heh, small world. MacGregor is over near Latham, Kippax side of town. Probably about a 15-20 minute drive from where you are.
#16 Old 03-12-2007, 07:09 PM

wow thats crazy - yeah i think my parents lived their for three years becasue dad got a job with the radio or newspaper - whatever

i only liked their for a few months ---

oh i ok that side of town

might do that!!!

thank you!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page