"meat" patterned plates for vegetarians. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Frankly, I'd find these rather disturbing to eat from.

Quote:

SOME vegetarians exhibit a missionary impulse, forever trying to convince their friends that eating meat is cruel, unhealthy or wasteful. When spoken words or a copy of The Jungle fail to persuade, these herbivores may start using disturbing visual aids: photographs of caged calves or documentaries on the short, brutish lives of confined chickens.

Vegetarians who prefer a more whimsical approach, however, can now choose the four-plate Food for Thought dishware set. Three of the plates are decorated with clinical schematics of commonly eaten animals, showing exactly where bacon is hacked off a pig, or loin chops removed from a lamb potentially unpleasant reminders of meats back story. And, as a macabre twist, one of the plates features a similarly diagrammed dog, implicitly asking what separates an Angus bull from a beloved family pet.

Full article with photos found here

What do you think? Would you be happy to eat from these?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I was in a department store last week (I think Macy's) and they had plates with pictures of animals and their food names in French around the outside (i.e. the cow is labelled "beef")... I thought that was sort of morbid, considering people would probably be eating said animals off of the plates.

Here, I found a link: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=22898

WEIRD!

I think I might leave a comment for Macy's

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 03-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I would be fine eating off of it. It is only a picture. I'd love to give some food to omni's on those plates. It is something more people need to see.

eta: I was responding to the OP. Just realized we posted at the same time lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Beginner

I wouldn't eat off of those plates. I would sit there eating my food and look down at my plate and disturbing images of animals being killed for food would go through my mind. Not very satisfying if you ask me.
#5 Old 03-11-2007, 06:36 PM

I wouldn't eat off of them, but I do think the message is a good one. I think I'd only use the plates if I was still eating meat and needed something to encourage me to stop.
#6 Old 03-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

What about using them to encourage others to stop though?
#7 Old 03-11-2007, 08:32 PM

considering that there are way too many uptight and stuffy vegetarians/vegans out there - my friend and I like to surprise people. we aren't preachers.. infact, i have to say i absolutely hate some vegans!!

i bought a shirt with a big cut of steak on it and it says "tasty...tasty murder". also got some cute bacon strip bandaids.

gotta have a sense of humor - otherwise - you end up preaching to people who don't want to hear it. in my case, people just feel comfortable asking me about my issues, realizing that i won't beat them up for eating meat.
#8 Old 03-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I think those are great. I probably wouldn't eat off them, but I might get some to hang in the kitchen. LOL.

If you're interested in getting some, I found the link: http://www.mrfrench.com/results.asp?txtkeys1=plates
#9 Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 AM

I would never buy or eat off of something like that.
#10 Old 03-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm just sick humoured enough to buy them AND eat off them. Especially the dog one. If people can't handle where their meat comes from and if they can't handle seeing the cuts mapped out on a whole animal, then maybe they should be vegan or something.
#11 Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

That totally amuses me I would absolutely eat of them.
#12 Old 03-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I think they're kinda cool.

But I wouldn't buy them.
#13 Old 03-12-2007, 03:44 PM

what about a trick piece of lamb that you could put on someone's plate and when they dig into it it bleats?

#14 Old 03-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

That's ... phenomenal ...

ETA: I don't think I would buy and eat off of them, mainly because of Allen. However, I do like a lot of the other plate designs featured on the French Paper website, and I very well may order those for our home when we move out.
#15 Old 03-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Beginner

I want the dog one. It appeals to my morbid sense of humor.
#16 Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

weird. i wouldnt have any moral dilemma eating off of them. In fact, it would be pretty interesting to see an omni's reaction to me eating off of that.
#17 Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaCeltarum View Post

What about using them to encourage others to stop though?

I don't think they're disturbing enough for most people to get any kind of message from them. Too clinical and retro looking. Actual photos would be much more effective.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#18 Old 03-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I don't think they're disturbing enough for most people to get any kind of message from them. Too clinical and retro looking. Actual photos would be much more effective.

#19 Old 03-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

If I was an omni, I would be disturbed about eating from those plates. As a vegan, no, since I know nothing on my plate actually came from any animal.

Does anyone think that the last sentence in that article is a candidate for the "Stupid Things Omnivores Say" thread? "Some steak lovers love being reminded that their meal is natural."
#20 Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't use them. Quite honestly, eating vegan food -- especially in my home -- should always be a pleasant experience.
#21 Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Beginner

Never. Not if I want friends.
#22 Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Beginner

Well...I wouldn't spend $10 for a plate to begin with..when I can get perfectly good ones at the dollar store for $1. I do like them though. I could picture them on the wall in a restaurant or a butcher shop (except for the dog one). I wouldn't have a problem eating from them; and would find it entertaining to serve food to an omni on them.
#23 Old 03-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I was in a department store last week (I think Macy's) and they had plates with pictures of animals and their food names in French around the outside (i.e. the cow is labelled "beef")... I thought that was sort of morbid, considering people would probably be eating said animals off of the plates.

Here, I found a link: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=22898

WEIRD!

I think I might leave a comment for Macy's

I saw those! My boyfriend was with me and I said "Why dont they have vegetable ones?" Funny you mentioned that I also said something else about death plates and my boyfriend translated that into french for me. haha
#24 Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't eat off of those. I don't need to be reminded by I'm against something...
#25 Old 03-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Since I started the thread and asked the question I guess I should answer it.

No, Kiz, I wouldn't like to eat off those plates. Maybe serving meat to omnis on them would be mildly amusing, but I don't ever serve meat, so the question there is moot. No, I wouldn't buy then.

ETA: I did answer it. In the first post, too. And I talked to myself. I think I must be losing my mind.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#26 Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Hm, I could easily lose my appetite by serving my vegan food on those plates. Perhaps this is a good dieting tactic.
#27 Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

This reminds me of a sushi restaurant I was in last week (eating veggie sushi). There were whimsical paintings of fish everywhere, happily swimming around, which struck me as odd since most people there were eating fish. No one else seemed to notice or make the connection. But it occurred to me that in a steak restaurant, you don't normally see pictures of cows. Maybe the fish somehow seem less objectionable? Anyway, sorry for the OT, this just made me think of that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page